• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor |OT| - Judge me by my file size, do you?

Elysion

Banned
I have to say, overall I think the story in the first game was better. It just felt more cohesive overall, while the story in this game feels kinda disjointed. I also think the villain(s) in Fallen Order were more interesting than the villain(s) in Survivor.

That whole middle part of the game with that High Republic Jedi (the fact that I can’t even remember his name demonstrates just now unmemorable he was) felt totally inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, especially in retrospect. That whole part almost felt like DLC that was inserted into the middle of the game or something. The dude was not particularly interesting, and his conflict with Cal felt kinda forced and contrived imo. Bode wasn’t much better unfortunately. I much preferred Trilla and Malicos from the first game. Looking back, I think it was a mistake to kill off both main villains from Fallen Order; at least one of them should’ve survived to be a recurring villain for the second game imo.

Last edited:

Yerd

I have to say, overall I think the story in the first game was better. It just felt more cohesive overall, while the story in this game feels kinda disjointed. I also think the villain(s) in Fallen Order were more interesting than the villain(s) in Survivor.

That whole middle part of the game with that High Republic Jedi (the fact that I can’t even remember his name demonstrates just now unmemorable he was) felt totally inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, especially in retrospect. That whole part almost felt like DLC that was inserted into the middle of the game or something. The dude was not particularly interesting, and his conflict with Cal felt kinda forced and contrived imo. Bode wasn’t much better unfortunately. I much preferred Trilla and Malicos from the first game.
I haven't completed yet, but this story could have been copy pasted from any number of things. It has a very basic feel. Still love the gameplay overall.
Playing on the hardest difficulty is brutal with things like Oggdo. Wishing I could somehow load up all the stances at once.

Banned
the longer I'm playing it, the more the bad combat animations, both of your character but also enemies, start to annoy me.

the very stilted combat controls in general also don't help, the dodge especially is just terribly animated and feels like absolute ass

Last edited:

hollams

Gold Member
Even though the combat is smoother in the game it doesn't feel as good as Fallen Order to me. Fallen Order was more of Dark souls in that it felt like can I make it to the next meditation point and hopefully unlock a shortcut. In Survivor, even on the hardest difficulty, I don't feel the same way and can usually make it pretty easily to a MP. They throw so many more enemies at you that it just doesn't feel the same. I have to catch myself to not button mash but you get surrounded by so many enemies it's hard to resist.

Dibils2k

have they actually fixed HDR? going into cave it is actually dark rather than gray (i am on OLED) or it could be caus eits different map?

was playing in SDR cause of how washed out HDR looked

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I feel almost no difference...

The only video out on it so far is the ElAnalistaDeBits and he shows notable improvements on both PS5 and SX

9hlOnl7.jpg

rlusYXO.jpg

RPS37

This Rancor is really reminding me of all those impossible Ragnarok side bosses I never fought.
Wth am I even supppsed to do?

Banned
The only video out on it so far is the ElAnalistaDeBits and he shows notable improvements on both PS5 and SX

9hlOnl7.jpg

rlusYXO.jpg

does he have a video of the open field on Koboh?
that shit still feels like 20fps at times, and the I/O stutters are ridiculous.

also not sure if he still uses TRDrop to measure the framerate, which doesn't work correctly on games that exhibit tearing, which this game does the moment it drops below the target framerate.

so if he still uses this (which was one of the original reason he became a banned source here) then his analysis here is useless.

TRDrop works pretty well on fully Vsynced games but nothing else.

Last edited:

Banned
This Rancor is really reminding me of all those impossible Ragnarok side bosses I never fought.

the bad controls and awful feeling dodge also give me issues with any enemy that's bigger than a typical humanoid.

it's almost impossible to judge your dodge due to how awful it feels and looks, while enemy attacks are also often awfully telegraphed due to bad animation work.

Yerd

Just have to learn his attacks. You have to dodge and jump over different attacks. Some have to be blocked or avoided. There is a challenge where you have to take on 2 of them at once. It's a real pain.

does he have a video of the open field on Koboh?
that shit still feels like 20fps at times, and the I/O stutters are ridiculous.

also not sure if he still uses TRDrop to measure the framerate, which doesn't work correctly on games that exhibit tearing, which this game does the moment it drops below the target framerate.

so if he still uses this (which was one of the original reason he became a banned source here) then his analysis here is useless.

TRDrop works pretty well on fully Vsynced games but nothing else.
Yeah there’s no way that’s accurate.

I wouldn’t say it’s 20 fps (in performance mode) but it’s so inconsistent it kinda feels like it, play around the riverbed checkpoint or do a straight run through the town and into the saloon it’s choppy as hell. They made it so it’s not tearing virtually every frame now, but it makes the drops and stutters that much more noticeable.

Last edited:

yamaci17

jump when he slams
dodge when he plunges forward with red glow
block if his attack is not red / try parry (try parry, then hold block. so you can get parry, but if you fail, you will block the attack regardless)

this boss is dosable with 0 lvl character, most important trick is jumping. jump in this game is important as dodging... it has its uses

Buggy Loop

the longer I'm playing it, the more the bad combat animations, both of your character but also enemies, start to annoy me.

the very stilted combat controls in general also don't help, the dodge especially is just terribly animated and feels like absolute ass

I played Sekiro and finished it just before playing this… let me tell you, feels like a world apart in combat feedback and animation quality.

Banned
I played Sekiro and finished it just before playing this… let me tell you, feels like a world apart in combat feedback and animation quality.

oh god... I haven't played any From Software game in months, I can't even imagine going from Sekiro directly to this 😬

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
there's no real platforming in Uncharted tho. it's basically scripted in that game
Every time a tie fighter flies by, I want to take a screenshot, but I always catch the tail end or when they’re completely off the screen. It reminds me of the climbing you do as Nathan Drake. Like holding onto a ledge, pushing off the wall, and then jumping up or across to proceed further.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Agreed, but again, it doesn't make sense for what we saw in both games. Not being a Jedi anymore =/= Sith
Because the game is made for dummies who don't care about the detail and have only basic understanding of Star Wars, i.e. red saber = bad guys.

jump when he slams
block if his attack is not red / try parry (try parry, then hold block. so you can get parry, but if you fail, you will block the attack regardless)

this boss is dosable with 0 lvl character, most important trick is jumping. jump in this game is important as dodging... it has its uses
I think the problem is the timing for a lot of people rather than the tells. It especially becomes a thing later on in the story fight is near Oggdo levels of hard (without the bullshit hitboxes at least) and you don’t have your regular powers or stances during it…

It’s masterfully done cinematically and as a boss fight, but as someone mentioned before, the intermittent cutscenes ugh I have to run through the first 2 sequences every single time and hold B/O to skip (and it takes time), to the last section where they go on a frenzy and it’s a whole new set of tells that are really fast. Granted it is a decent git good trainer; memorize the first two and save your stims for the last so you can at least learn it...but the cutscenes kinda kill it.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

oh god... I haven't played any From Software game in months, I can't even imagine going from Sekiro directly to this 😬

If I were to make a comparison, Sekiro responsiveness feels like assembly language, almost precise to a clock cycle.

Jedi survivor feels like when you parry an attack, the action is sent to a secretary, put the action call into a tube, seal it, and sends it to the analysis department via air pipe systems, gets clogged, unclogs and then gets to an old dude with shit vision that has to decode the message 😂

A world apart

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Are they going to fix HDR on PS5?
The image is totally wrong, most of picture is black.
There is a fix for it. Change your third hdr system level setting to one point above the default. It’s been posted several times in this thread or just Google it.

Banned
If I were to make a comparison, Sekiro responsiveness feels like assembly language, almost precise to a clock cycle.

Jedi survivor feels like when you parry an attack, the action is sent to a secretary, put the action call into a tube, seal it, and sends it to the analysis department via air pipe systems, gets clogged, unclogs and then gets to an old dude with shit vision that has to decode the message 😂

A world apart

sounds about right yeah.

That whole middle part of the game with that High Republic Jedi (the fact that I can’t even remember his name demonstrates just now unmemorable he was) felt totally inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, especially in retrospect. That whole part almost felt like DLC that was inserted into the middle of the game or something. The dude was not particularly interesting, and his conflict with Cal felt kinda forced and contrived imo. Bode wasn’t much better unfortunately. I much preferred Trilla and Malicos from the first game. Looking back, I think it was a mistake to kill off both main villains from Fallen Order; at least one of them should’ve survived to be a recurring villain for the second game imo.
What I really wanted was for this game was for more instances of Cal facing against fallen Jedi like Malicos. Would have been more interesting if the game continued with the Zeffo and took place in the Unknown Regions with an antagonist group that wasn't the Empire (perhaps a group of Fallen Jedi trying to build their own Empire or something).
I have yet to play Jedi Survivor, so I have no idea what happens in the story, but I think I was always so mesmerized by the concept of the Unknown Region ever since KOTOR 2 played up the mysteriousness of what lies beyond the Outer Rim.

the bad controls and awful feeling dodge also give me issues with any enemy that's bigger than a typical humanoid.

it's almost impossible to judge your dodge due to how awful it feels and looks, while enemy attacks are also often awfully telegraphed due to bad animation work.

The more I hear about the gameplay aspects of this game the more I question how it got such rave reviews.

So none of the core gameplay has been improved either. The first games biggest issues was also how sluggish and unresponsive the movement was. Running, dodging, and rolling just did not feel good and that was even true after the ps5 patch released. They needed to improve the animation system in order to improve combat. It's obviously going to play even worse at 30 fps and the inconsistent 60 fps performance mode so Jedi Survivor is objectively worse in combat (on console anyway).

Are reviewers standards so low that a sequel comes out with some graphical and environmental improvements but not addressing the most important element, the combat?

fatmarco

Standing still in an empty part of the map isn’t exactly a great benchmark, it’s movement that causes issues.
Also should try to have a vista viewable so its actually putting pressure on the variable resolution. Having a fairly close view of a cliff isn't going to test Performance mode.

RPS37

come back after you have at least 5 stims.

Just have to learn his attacks. You have to dodge and jump over different attacks. Some have to be blocked or avoided. There is a challenge where you have to take on 2 of them at once. It's a real pain.

jump when he slams

Thank you all for the advice/moral support.
I’ll try to get his ass a lil later.
Still really digging this on Quality Mode on XSX.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Played a bit of Jedha planet yesterday, and while performance seems slighty better, you can clearly see that's because the world itself is not that demanding. They truly fucked up optimization big time.

I'm playing the game on a extremely slow pace in hopes that somehow they patch things up, but I honestly only see the game getting better with a few months down the road.

The only positive thing I can take from this is that this way my eyes are now ready for the new Zelda game.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I have the worse performance on pc in the saloon, the open world is fine but the sallon stutter like a motherfucker.

The holo-game is a drug.

Elog

I want to say that the writing in this game is really really good - with strong voice acting to boot. Some dialogues including the acting are on a different level. I think this aspect of the game has not received the praise it deserves.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Just finished the main story. I still have about 30-40% of side quests and collectables to plow through but so far I'd say it's about a 7,5 for me, with the score being closer to 8 than 7. The main problem is of course the performance, which even on PS5 with the "performance" mode on was pretty lackluster. There are many locations where framerate just dipped to 30 frames and stayed there the entire time, even though the environments didn't look any more elaborate from the others where the performance was better. Unless they're gonna roll out more patches soon that will improve things in that department, I think I'm gonna go with quality mode for my NG+ playthrough because at least then it's gonna be stable 30 FPS without any annoying fluctuations.

As for the game itself, it's pretty awesome. Great new environments, lots of new toys to play around with, way better balance between combat, exploration and puzzles, great story... Overall I enjoyed the game a lot and I look forward to playing through it again. I fucking loved that they added additional lightsaber stances that introduced more variety to combat, including a greatsword/claymore type of modification to lightsaber that looked like Kylo Ren's sword. I'm a sucker for greatswords in video games so this stance quickly became my primary fighting style. Although the blaster+sword combo was also pretty dope, reminded me a lot of Bloodborne.

The one thing that I didn't like about the combat is that it started to become a bit of a mess once the game started throwing huge number of enemies at you. This part suffers a bit from lack of proper balancing. It's more about desperately dodging melee attacks and deflecting blaster bolts while hoping that you won't get hammered enough to lose your stamina bar before all the ranged enemies are down, so that you could finally focus on melee combatants in peace. It felt less like I was using skill and more like frantically mashing buttons and hoping not to get hit. Also, fuck any attacks in particular that home in on you. That is so damn cheap. Also, I'm not sure if it was because of the framerate issues or just poor coding, but very often it seemed like my parry blocks simply didn't register, even though I was timing them properly.

Anyway, I'm probably missing a lot but those are just my quick initial thoughts after finishing the game. I'm definitely satisfied with the experience and I honestly hope that a follow up will be green lit by EA because this is a story that I definitely want to see concluded or at least continued.

ManaByte ManaByte you were right, man. I stand corrected about the story, lol.

Performance is still horrible on PS5 with the new patch. Definitely don't believe that video doing the rounds that suggested it's mainly 60fps now as it still drops into the 40s very often.

Quality mode is fine outside of a few areas but it feels like I'm playing Dragon's Lair or something and not really controlling that character but I'll persevere as the game is brilliant so far.

yamaci17

beat the spawn of oggdo... took me around 2 hrs with 9 stims and a lot of upgrades... damn.

actually it was a learning process too... eventually you figure out how to specifically roll dodge stuff

one critical tip I can give is,

it is possible to dodge his tongue attack, which he frequently does and one shots you. but it can be hard to time. i sometimes dodged and sometimes failed

what paved the way for win was jumping! double jump, but take as mucg as possible after your first jump, then do the sceond flip. if you have dash, even better, dash towards him for a free two or three hit!

you can also use double flip and dash to avoid his black smoke ground slam attack. his ground slam towards his final HP creates a black cloud that deals massive dmg. but it also goes away quickly. if you can stay in the air for long enouhgh near him, you will not get hit by the smoke and also be able to hit it twice or thrice

Yerd

beat the spawn of oggdo... took me around 2 hrs with 9 stims and a lot of upgrades... damn.

actually it was a learning process too... eventually you figure out how to specifically roll dodge stuff

one critical tip I can give is,

it is possible to dodge his tongue attack, which he frequently does and one shots you. but it can be hard to time. i sometimes dodged and sometimes failed

what paved the way for win was jumping! double jump, but take as mucg as possible after your first jump, then do the sceond flip. if you have dash, even better, dash towards him for a free two or three hit!

you can also use double flip and dash to avoid his black smoke ground slam attack. his ground slam towards his final HP creates a black cloud that deals massive dmg. but it also goes away quickly. if you can stay in the air for long enouhgh near him, you will not get hit by the smoke and also be able to hit it twice or thrice
Now go make a visit to Doma's.

I'm working on the 3 legendary beasts tear right now and it's driving me nuts. It's the one under the elevator near the tar dams.

Last edited:
Top Bottom