• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars KOTOR 2 Gets Big Update + out on Mac & Linux

pmj

The Linux version seems to work as it should. Can't get it to run windowed, but at least it starts on your primary monitor so you can choose where it goes with that setting.

A workshop question: the restoration mod has some issues with audio it seems. If I install it, will it update automatically?

Well this is great news. I've never played KOTOR II. Most people told me to completely avoid it.
Im gonna be playing it now though, thanks to controller support. and that 5k res.

Ive only played and beaten KOTOR I, twice. Still though....................dat plot twist doe.

Man, can't wait to play this with proper widescreen support!

Here's to hoping that KOTOR1 gets the same treatment. It's such a PITA trying to get that game to work in widescreen.

Grief.exe

I only played Kotor II at launch, it's been time for a replay for a while, this is the perfect opportunity.

I played KOTOR I at launch, then did a replay a couple years ago. I love min/maxing these games and just decimating enemies.

Man, can't wait to play this with proper widescreen support!

Here's to hoping that KOTOR1 gets the same treatment. It's such a PITA trying to get that game to work in widescreen.

I remember having to use a cracked exe, which is dicey.

Without hyperbole, this just coming out of the blue for one of my favorite games, it's too much. I'm so happy right now.

Of course, I have to go to work soon and have to wait to play...

When I saw KOTOR 2 updating in Steam, I thought it was for Windows 10 support or something. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that a what, 10 year old game, was getting such an update. Awesome.

Who

Banned
Everytime I start the game now, the camera spins left, like an analog stick is pressed down. Ive disconnected by DS4, restarted the game etc. and its still an issue. Anyone else having this problem?

Grief.exe

Everytime I start the game now, the camera spins left, like an analog stick is pressed down. Ive disconnected by DS4, restarted the game etc. and its still an issue. Anyone else having this problem?

Try removing the wireless controller in hardware and printers in your control panel.

Select hide DS4 option in DS4 windows.

stuminus3

I presume this update doesn't fix the crash with frame buffer effects enabled for AMD owners? Wouldn't expect it to but I'm curious.

Who

Banned
Try removing the wireless controller in hardware and printers in your control panel.

Select hide DS4 option in DS4 windows.

I have disabled the wireless controller in devices and printers and I wasn'tr using DS4 windows at it apparently has native support.. still no to avail :(

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Only just saw this a few minutes ago, I played the game back in 2012 without the mods of restored content and loved it and wanted to wait for the right time to play it again with all the extra content so I'd know the difference. The time is now right.

Good to see controller support added, I was never a huge fan of playing this on the PC.

I tried to play this a few years ago with the fan patches and content restoration stuff but it was still very buggy.

I got about 20 hours into the game and hit a bug that stopped me from progressing further in the game (my ship was empty and I couldn't access the Navigation Computer to leave the planet, even though I had done everything there was to do on the planet) and I'm pretty sure all the saves I had were still past the point of no return for what caused the bug (some strange scripting error that triggered the same side mission twice).

Hopefully this update will be more solid than manually installing these patches, but I'm not sure I'll go back and play it again. The 20 hours I did play was pretty dull with almost no forward progress made on the plot. The starting area sucks and takes forever (I think there are even patches to skip it actually), the next area wasn't much better (some space station above a planet or something), and the area after that I went to was Dantooine which was the same as the first game just browner and uglier. If the dower tone is something you're interested in the game would probably be up you alley, but I personally like the more upbeat and Space Opera-y story, setting, and characters from the first game.

jph139

Awesome - I've been on a Star Wars game binge recently and the KOTOR games are next on my list after finishing up the Jedi Knight series. So what are the odds of the original getting a similar update?

Also, seeing a lot of controller love - for someone that errs on the side of KBM in most cases, which is recommended?

This is amazing and completely unexpected news! I remember buying this game at the beginning of 2005, without any expectations, and being blown away with the games characters and dialogue (an of course being completely dumbfounded by its ending).
The iconic character of this game for me is Visas Marr:
jdjlaRj.jpg

Enthus

Amazing. The widescreen patch has been crashing ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, so this is perfect timing. Hopefully updates come to more Star Wars titles.

Did you use the restored content mod?

No, I just played it vanilla when it came out on Steam. I looked at the mod but in the end decided it was more trouble than I was willing to put up with and just played it, because I already loved the game how it was. I had never played it on PC and didn't know about the game breaking bugs.

Now that it's on Workshop, I think it definitely deserves another playthrough

With the big SimCity 4 update last year and KOTOR II now, Aspyr has been absolutely on fire when it comes to making games from just before the era of mass widescreen adoption playable again on modern systems. (Especially as an OS X user who won't boot into Windows if I can help it.) The buggy, unfinished state of the game on release a decade ago really did cripple what was otherwise a promising experience that, early on, looked like it refined everything about its predecessor. I'm pleased to see that on the official side it's finally been saved.

Blue Lou

I'm delighted with this. But unfortunately, i tried to run it the other day and it crashed on me as soon as the cutscene finished with no warning. I loved the first one, it's the only RPG I've ever completed.

Kumquat

KOTOR 2 drove me crazy for one big reason.

When you talk about your lightsaber, I wanted to dual wield two single light sabers. I put in that I had two blades.

So what did I get? The Darth Maul type double bladed saber.

What did I only get dropped from enemies?

The Darth Maul type double bladed saber.

UGH!

KOTOR 2 drove me crazy for one big reason.

When you talk about your lightsaber, I wanted to dual wield two single light sabers. I put in that I had two blades.

So what did I get? The Darth Maul type double bladed saber.

What did I only get dropped from enemies?

The Darth Mail type double bladed saber.

UGH!

You need to build your own.

EDIT: This game refuses to run for me. Tried pretty much every recommendation. Why is it so annoying?

tumblr_nas4cfHxdC1thuzd1o1_500.gif

Principate

Saint Titanfall
One thing that always bugged me about kotor 2 was compartmentized animations, and fact that despite being a sequel it somehow looked worse than the original, I mean I played them both fairly recently and so you assumed it would have a dated look, at max settings though Kotor 1 actually looked fine (as long you don't scale the resolution to fit the size of monitor thus deal with a few black bars) and had some pretty nice animations.

Kotor 2 just looked worse, despite some better facial modelling, and the animations reminded me of puppets an effect the original really didn't have.

Enthus

I'd love for KOTOR to get this treatment. I'd love even more for Battlefront to be added to Steam with new optimizations and put on Steamworks along with Battlefront II.

Fractal

Banned
That's nice to hear... still, I played both KoTOR games a lot of time, so doubt I'll be going back to them anytime soon.

Revan

No, it's not like that for Windows either. TSLRCM is on the workshop for you to download separately.

It's not built in but it is a part of the Steam Workshop. Just subscribe to it and Steam will set it all up and keep it updated

Thanks folks.

I was gonna get this through the App Store but it looks like steam might be the way to go if I want to play he TSLRCM mod (again).

Top Bottom