• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars KOTOR 2 Gets Big Update + out on Mac & Linux

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Well, damn. Time to install the game I guess. Does it fix the horrible framerates when you enable the shader effects?

Joqu

No widescreen and no controller support in KOTOR 1.

It is likely this was spearheaded by whoever did the Mac and Linux ports, and KOTOR already has one so it does not seem likely we'll see them going back to that.

That makes sense. Bit unfortunate though, I do hope they'll still consider doing back to it

Anyone happen to know if getting widescreen to work through mods with 1 still involves hex editing? Never bothered with getting it to work because of that

Ralemont

not me
Sure, but we can't just pretend it's a good game just because it wasn't Obsidian's fault that it got rushed.

You're right, of course, but often when discussing WRPGs there's the undercurrent of comparing not only games but game devs. Therefore, it's understandable why someone who loves Obsidian would point out flaws in their games beyond their control, just as I would do with, say, a BioWare game.

It's also the case that mods have fixed the ending, so when purely looking at the game, mods have to matter.

Not even a big Star Wars guy but am always up for an Obsidian game. Not having played the first one won't matter, right?

It's not a direct continuation like ME1 > 2, but playing the first one before will give you a lot of context for 2.

Why do you consider this game to be better than KOTOR 1?

It's more intellectual and self-aware about the lore (stupid stuff in the lore is treated as stupid) and the gameplay is slightly improved. Unlike some I actually think Kreia is kind of an idiot, though her dialogue is at least enjoyable to listen to.

jediyoshi

lzylK8M.png

Welp, I'm glad I'm not a developer. I think my response to every question would be posting the shia labeaouf just do it speech.

pahamrick

For anyone who wants to downsample with Nvidia DSR, you need to set your desktop resolution to the resolution you want to downsample from.

Similar to Unity Engine games.

Nzyme32

Does KOTOR 1 already have native widescreen and controller support? I can't imagine why they'd skip on updating on 1 first otherwise

This is pretty amazing eitherway though

Nothing in KOTOR 1 - However, Aspyr seem to be behind all this while working on the Mac and Linux version, and KOTOR 1 still doesn't have a Linux version. Hopefully they will be working on that at some point and bring the same kind of updates to all platforms

Aru

Controller support only for Mac and SteamOS/Linux? Not Windows? Why?
They mention the supported controllers in the Linux and Mac requirements but not Windows, that's why I ask.

vocab

This is great. I'm currently on the road to completing all the good/classic crpgs. Seeing this just makes things easier for me.

The events of the first game are summarized pretty succinctly in a conversation you have near the beginning of KOTOR2, for those wondering about needing to play the first to understand the second.

Who the main character of KOTOR1 was (important) and what were the results of his choices (you get to choose that gender and final decision in the course of the conversation, in the now non-existent canon, he was a dude though) are covered there. Spoiler Alert:
The choices you make in KOTOR, don't actually change the events that will occur in KOTOR2, unlike something like Mass Effect. Instead it just colors the context a bit

The rest kind of comes in bits and pieces throughout the story.

So I'd definitely play the first (especially if they end up updating it like they have for TSL) because it gives you more backstory on the events that lead to the second game and the characters that appear (and don't appear) in TSL, and also because it's just an awesome game.

But it's not necessary to enjoy KOTOR2.

Nzyme32

Controller support only for Mac and SteamOS/Linux? Not Windows? Why?
They mention the supported controllers in the Linux and Mac requirements but not Windows, that's why I ask.

It is on the page:

Controller Support: Microsoft® Xbox® 360 Controller for Windows® (Wired), Microsoft® Xbox® 360 Games for Windows® Wireless Controller with Adapter, Microsoft® Xbox® One Controller (Wired), Razor Sabertooth – Gaming Controller for Xbox 360, Thrustmaster GPX, Logitech Gamepad F310, Logitech Wireless Gamepad F710

Nzyme32

They added a Legacy branch (Beta tab). I'm guessing you can always go back to the original version if you prefer.

Yeah. It's for people that prefer the old version (for whatever reason) or are on older hardware and can't run this updated version

Important Note: For users that prefer the original version of the game or for users on old hardware that can no longer run KOTOR II in its updated form, we have created a "legacy branch" that will allow users to access the original released content. Click on the support link and our team will walk you through the process.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The fact they included the restored content blows my mind. Even if (IMO) the story and game is still bad even with that restored content. It's very apparent the game was rushed in all aspects with or without that extra.

The only option for screen resolution I have is 720p. I don't even have anything smaller, it is literally the only option. This is after I had to reinstall it because no text was showing up. Really disappointed this game still has absurd issues like this even after an update.

Karak

For anyone who wants to downsample with Nvidia DSR, you need to set your desktop resolution to the resolution you want to downsample from.

Similar to Unity Engine games.

Wait wait wait. Whatnow? So to downsample you just play the game at your monitors highest supported...res...which isn't downsampling. I am confused.

Patryn

The fact they included the restored content blows my mind. Even if (IMO) the story and game is still bad even with that restored content. It's very apparent the game was rushed in all aspects with or without that extra.

It's not included, it's just available from the Steam Workshop, which makes it trivial to install.

Shengar

You're right, of course, but often when discussing WRPGs there's the undercurrent of comparing not only games but game devs. Therefore, it's understandable why someone who loves Obsidian would point out flaws in their games beyond their control, just as I would do with, say, a BioWare game.

It's also the case that mods have fixed the ending, so when purely looking at the game, mods have to matter.

Well, being bought by EA was outside of their control and people used that a lot to defend their recent output with poor quality.

TheSeks

It's not included, it's just available from the Steam Workshop, which makes it trivial to install.

Right, which is why I say "included" anyone NOT playing with the restored content which is supported "out of box" by simply installing it via the Workshop is doing it wrong.

TheSeks

Ughh so guys where do i get the update? I have the original 4 cds version, will that be compatible?

No. Unless you're able to redeem the CD-key on Steam. You have to buy the Steam version to get this upgrade.

pahamrick

Wait wait wait. Whatnow? So to downsample you just play the game at your monitors highest supported...res...which isn't downsampling. I am confused.

I'm sure someone else (like Durante) could explain it better than I, but you're not setting it to the highest supported res, you're setting it to the highest resolution that you've enabled through DSR.

Which enables you to set it to that resolution in game, effectively downsampling from that resolution to your monitor/tv's highest support native resolution. Unity Engine games require the same work around.

ryseing

I can run it on integrated graphics. Joy.

Will pick this up sooner or later. I tried watching an LP but it was WAY too confusing, especially with all of the Kreia nonsense.

Anno

Sweet. Played the first ages ago, never got around to this one. Guess it's time to fix that. Pretty cool to see this done so many years later. Upgrades basically across the board and cannonizing a major mod. Imagine if Vampire: The Masquerade got the same treatment?

pahamrick

Also, for anyone one like me who requires the right thumbstick to be inverted for play, you're going to need to use something like https://github.com/KrossX/Durazno in order to customize the controller to allow that.

While the game has controller support, you can't customize anything regarding the controller (and it looks like they shoe-horned controller support in on top of the native PC UI.)

Nice, I can now finally buy KOTOR 1 & 2 for my MacBook (despite owning the physical games and KOTOR on iOS).

Before I go out and purchase another xbox controller, has anyone used a DS4 to play the game?

Ralemont

not me
Well, being bought by EA was outside of their control and people used that a lot to defend their recent output with poor quality.

Well, as it pertains to Dragon Age 2, absolutely. Same case as KOTOR 2, except not quite as bad since they knew the deadline from the start of the project. In any case, DA2 at least taught EA that RPGs take time to make.

Aside from that, the "EA ruint BioWare" thing doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Their post-EA games besides DA2 have been excellent, and the ways in which they aren't excellent (ME3's ending) aren't EA's fault but BioWare's.

jediyoshi

Right, which is why I say "included" anyone NOT playing with the restored content which is supported "out of box" by simply installing it via the Workshop is doing it wrong.

To that extent, what they've actually done is add workshop support. Down the line when we see mods adding Shrek, I wouldn't classify those as being "included" either :p

Karak

I'm sure someone else (like Durante) could explain it better than I, but you're not setting it to the highest supported res, you're setting it to the highest resolution that you've enabled through DSR.

Which enables you to set it to that resolution in game, effectively downsampling from that resolution to your monitor/tv's highest support native resolution. Unity Engine games require the same work around.
Nope I got it.

I was literally just talking about playing this game yesterday with the restoration mod. Looks like the universe is trying to tell me something.

TheChaos

Aside from that, the "EA ruint BioWare" thing doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Their post-EA games besides DA2 have been excellent, and the ways in which they aren't excellent (ME3's ending) aren't EA's fault but BioWare's.

Does Sonic Chronicles count? Came out in late 2008, after the EA buyout.

Top Bottom