• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars KOTOR 2 Gets Big Update + out on Mac & Linux

Afrocious

Here's a request for everyone who catches this post:

Why do you consider this game to be better than KOTOR 1? I'm replaying it again for the first time with the restored content mod and I'm seeing samples of brilliance with its critique on the Republic and Jedi (though it's kinda one-sided so far). I'm only on Telos atm.

Major spoilers for those who haven't beaten the game:

Kreia talking about the third enemy who betrays is a terrible giveaway unless I'm missing something. Yes, I beat the game on Xbox. I have no idea why the game would even bring up Traya this early.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So what do I need to do to get the restored content in? Do I need to wait for the modders to update it for this new version?

Patryn

Wow, this is awesome. I'll definitely install this tonight!

Speaking of KOTOR, anyone know how KOTOR 1 runs on iOS?

Quite well.

The touch controls work well, but if you choose to use a controller there's some quirks in the mapping (there's no one button to select between your party for instance... you need to to go to a menu and then select the party member before you can assign them actions).

Never played 1. Will it get this treatment too? If not, is the story of 1 necessary for 2?

Necessary is arguable. But it does build on the events of KOTOR1, and references it quite a bit. There are also several returning characters.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Never played 1. Will it get this treatment too? If not, is the story of 1 necessary for 2?

If 1 was going to get updated like this, you'd think it would have happened when they did the iOS version.

As for the story, they are only very loosely tied together, you needn't have played the first.

Conezays

Very, very cool. The native widescreen support is actually the most important thing to come out of this, as the content restoration mod was fairly easy to track down and install. Widescreen and custom resolution (1080p) support was a huge pain in the ass to get working, though, and my game would still crash from time to time on transitioning from gameplay to FMVs.

Yep, this is what I'm most excited about; looking forward to giving it another play.

Nzyme32

So what do I need to do to get the restored content in? Do I need to wait for the modders to update it for this new version?

The restored content is meant to be available in the workshop for today and working, but it seems that they haven't got it uploaded correctly.

As far as the restored content goes - you want to play the game with it. When KOTOR 2 release on all platforms, it was rushed and had a bunch of stuff cut, and particularly the rather abrupt ending. Turns out that that stuff was actually just locked away with in the game and not quite completed, so some modders got it sorted out and released. It makes the game a ton better to the point where it rivals the first game.

To get the content, you can head to the workshop * as posted above * and just subscribe to it. Steam will automatically update the game for you and will keep the mod updated along with the game should either be altered

Durante

Why do you consider this game to be better than KOTOR 1?
Many reasons really. The story is more interesting and nuanced. The characters are more well-developed and unique. The dialogue is far better written. And even in terms of gameplay, the RPG system is more involved and complete.

Meowster

Why do you consider this game to be better than KOTOR 1? I'm replaying it again for the first time with the restored content mod and I'm seeing samples of brilliance with its critique on the Republic and Jedi (though it's kinda one-sided so far). I'm only on Telos atm.

Kreia talking about the third enemy who betrays is a terrible giveaway unless I'm missing something. Yes, I beat the game on Xbox. I have no idea why the game would even bring up Traya this early.
The answer can be summed up in one word though there are many other reasons: Kreia.

Can confirm that controller support works fine (at least for the MS controllers/DS4 tool)

The button layout is a bit different than the original versions on Xbox so I have to relearn that. (For example, flourish weapons is Y on Xbox on both Kotor and Kotor 2 whereas its now L3)

Sou Da

I don't.

I'm biased because I loathe the fanbase's idea that this is the be all end all of Star Wars but without the restored content mod I just found myself not caring at the end compared to Kotor 1 which I thought had a pretty great third act.

Probably not, and no, its not necessary to play 1 in order to get whats happening in 2. Also 2 was made by Obsidian, which we all know makes better sequels/spin-offs than the original developers.

derExperte

And here I thought Journey would be the best new release of the day. What a pleasant surprise but now I regret not picking up the Steam version during one of the bigger sales, only ever had it on disc.

pahamrick

Many reasons really. The story is more interesting and nuanced. The characters are more well-developed and unique. The dialogue is far better written. And even in terms of gameplay, the RPG system is more involved and complete.

Once again proving that some other RPG developers should have been taking notes from Obsidian (Looking at you Bioware and Bethesda).

Dr Dogg

Well guess KOTOR II gets shuffled to to top of the backlog pile. Ben interesting to see about pushing that '5k support'. What DX version is this again? Please be 9, please be 9, please be 9.

By the way, this is why PC is dying.
On consoles you could do the same thing (up the resolution with widescreen support and add achievements) and BAM there's your new $40 product :p

It's why PC has no games! Why release something new when you can go back and add some extra polish to some old gems.

Dead

well not really...yet
Sweet, game doesn't work on my PC

It loads up the Logos, then it increases in Res, and the entire image is shifted up leaving only a black screen. I can hear menu sound but see or access anything

:(

any tips?

borborygmus

I think the game isn't even a pimple on the ass of Kotor 1. The writing is fanfic level and the unfinished state "because they had no time" is not an excuse gamers should care about. I don't want to spoil the game, but I will say that an important turning point in the game's story is nothing but a meaningless phrase which is meant to justify the overall "tales from my ass" feeling of the game's plot.

Kotor 2 feels like they wanted to make a Planescape game (and I actually adore Planescape: Torment) but were forced to work on Star Wars and they did so reluctantly.

NJDEN

What?!

How did this happen, why did this happen... I'm sure if i read the article ill learn why...

This is really hype, one of my all time favorite games!

Slaythe

Oh my god this is amazing D: ...

I wanted to replay it but wanted controller and the mod and widescreen.

This is insane.

sirap

I don't.

I'm biased because I loathe the fanbase's idea that this is the be all end all of Star Wars but without the restored content mod I just found myself not caring at the end compared to Kotor 1 which I thought had a pretty great third act.

Indeed. Kotor 1 had an amazing third act, especially if you're playing for the good team.

JB2448

Is this real life? Am I dreaming? But it's not even canon anymore, why bother?

Thank you so much to whoever made this happen.

G.Newell

never played KOTOR1 or 2 but i've been meaning to. wonder if it'll support 21:9. that controller support is really nice as well.

seems kinda weird 2 is getting update but not 1. different developers? why update it at all?

Ive just installed it and had a quick go and it worked fine on my monitor at 3440x1440p and im using a Samsung S34E790C 34inch. Im also on windows 10 and no problems there aswell.

Awesome this came out as ive been wanting to replay it for ages.

pahamrick

I think the game isn't even a pimple on the ass of Kotor 1. The writing is fanfic level and the unfinished state "because they had no time" is not an excuse gamers should care about. I don't want to spoil the game, but I will say that an important turning point in the game's story is nothing but a meaningless phrase which is meant to justify the overall "tales from my ass" feeling of the game's plot.

Well, I mean. Having your release date pushed up a whole year by the publisher is a pretty good excuse to have.

Nabs

They added a Legacy branch (Beta tab). I'm guessing you can always go back to the original version if you prefer.

Joqu

Does KOTOR 1 already have native widescreen and controller support? I can't imagine why they'd skip on updating on 1 first otherwise

This is pretty amazing eitherway though

Miker

Many reasons really. The story is more interesting and nuanced. The characters are more well-developed and unique. The dialogue is far better written.

I largely agree, but I think that the story/plot is a bit weak, and it gets by on the strength of the writing. Here's my post on it from a LTTP thread we had a while back:

On a line-by-line basis, KotOR 2's writing is great. Fantastic, even. The conversation trees were always interesting, and if nothing else, god damn all the Jedi doublespeak sounded so freaking cool when voiced by Kreia. The thing is, a lot of her dialogue is just that - doublespeak. It adds a lot of flavor, but doesn't always move the story forward in the way that it needs to, nor did it do a great job of explaining some of the more abstract concepts of the story.

I think the abstractness is ultimately the weakest part of the core plot. By the end of the game, characters are throwing around
"wound in the Force"
every other line, but I never quite grasped exactly what that meant. I think the
scene at the Jedi Enclave where they tell you that you form bonds easily, you're a wound in the Force, etc.
was supposed to be the game's Big Twist, like
Revan from KotOR 1
, yet I came away more confused than anything else. The game's final confrontation -
Kreia manipulating you to bring about the end of the Force - felt a bit hollow because, well, how the hell was she going to do that if you lost to her?
I knew that the stakes were high, but the core plot points being so abstract didn't help establish why they were high.

KotOR 1, although perhaps a bit weaker when it comes to dialogue, has a Big Twist that's solid, that's memorable, that probably blew people's minds when it happened. It's the more crowd-pleasing story of the two, and I can see why people would vastly prefer the first game. I certainly wouldn't blame them. It can be argued that KotOR 2 wasn't aiming for a Big Twist, and I guess they weren't, but I still say the overall plot could've used more concrete plot points.

I do think the characters and mechanics are a clear step up in KotOR 2, and it's great that you can only pick two of four party members for any one playthrough.

borborygmus

Well, I mean. Having your release date pushed up a whole year by the publisher is a pretty good excuse to have.

I'll clarify that it's a good excuse in terms of not hating Obsidian for it (in fact, I adore Obsidian), but it doesn't make the game any better.

Corpekata

Banned
Does KOTOR 1 already have native widescreen and controller support? I can't imagine why they'd skip on updating on 1 first otherwise

This is pretty amazing eitherway though

It is likely this was spearheaded by whoever did the Mac and Linux ports, and KOTOR already has one so it does not seem likely we'll see them going back to that.

Ralemont

not me

Yeah. Sometimes it's hard to tell whether it's project mismanagement or simply an unreasonable timeframe, but in this particular case it's easy to see who is to blame.

Not that KOTOR 2 wouldn't have been obscenely buggy even with another year, but it certainly wouldn't have had the ending it did.

As for the game itself, I think it's about on par with the first, for different reasons. Which is saying a lot because KOTOR 1 is probably my favorite game of that gen.

Durante

Not even a big Star Wars guy but am always up for an Obsidian game. Not having played the first one won't matter, right?
From my discussions about this game online not being a big Star Wars fan might actually help.

Anyway, I think it's perfectly fine to play it independently of the first one.

borborygmus

Yeah. Sometimes it's hard to tell whether it's project mismanagement or simply an unreasonable timeframe, but in this particular case it's easy to see who is to blame.

Not that KOTOR 2 wouldn't have been obscenely buggy even with another year, but it certainly wouldn't have had the ending it did.

Sure, but we can't just pretend it's a good game just because it wasn't Obsidian's fault that it got rushed.

I'm pretty certain that was because the original intent was for other people to be able to have that title. Like
Atris.

Top Bottom