• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

curb

Banned
I saved up around 50k (I play free) but alas not even a yellow. Down the drain!
I've talked about the card trader in this thread too I dont mind so much, it's just a thought. Seems like it just makes more sense to post there. The thread could use a little action, anyway.

I haven't spent any money either - I guess I got lucky.

Yeah, the gaming thread is a little dead. It'll be tough though as anything in the future like Battlefront or Disney Infinity will likely get their own threads. Having card trader app talk in there might help keep it on peoples radar.

Ezalc

Yes both sides became very extreme, pushing and pulling one way or another. I was surprised to see how the Jedi acted in the prequels and also in TCW at times.

If only some dude would bring balance to the force or something, knock down the jedi order a few rungs and tell Sheev to shove it.

Sometimes I wish that there were some kind of Star Wars multiverse in which Anakin didn't become darth vader, or one where Yoda is a sith and Mace is his apprentice with Palpatine being the grandmaster jedi or something. Would be cool to see some of these what if scenarios.

Aiii

So not worth it
Sometimes I wish that there were some kind of Star Wars multiverse in which Anakin didn't become darth vader, or one where Yoda is a sith and Mace is his apprentice with Palpatine being the grandmaster jedi or something. Would be cool to see some of these what if scenarios.

Luckily Star Wars and Marvel are now under one company and alternate universes is what they do
until the next reboot

Sometimes I wish that there were some kind of Star Wars multiverse in which Anakin didn't become darth vader,

It's a neat idea, where does it go after ep3 though?

Old Sheev is on the ground arm wrestling with Sam Jackson and instead of stopping Mace, Anakin cuts Palpatine's hands off and then Mace puts the purple right through his heart.

Then what? The Separatists eventually lose without Tyranus and Sidious calling the shots. Grievous goes on the run. Or did he die before that scene? I forget.

Does Anakin end up training Luke and Leia in the force? What happens when Obiwan finds out about his kids? He had to, eventually. Does Anakin stay in the Jedi Order or does he leave to have his family?

I guess at that point, Grievous would become the main villain of the OT? He might take the Death Star plans that were already in development and go get it built in some small forgotten corner of the galaxy, if he had the resources. Maybe a half size version, still scary.

sphagnum

Banned

Old Sheev is on the ground arm wrestling with Sam Jackson and instead of stopping Mace, Anakin cuts Palpatine's hands off and then Mace puts the purple right through his heart.

Then what? The Separatists eventually lose without Tyranus and Sidious calling the shots. Grievous goes on the run. Or did he die before that scene? I forget.

Does Anakin end up training Luke and Leia in the force? What happens when Obiwan finds out about his kids? He had to, eventually. Does Anakin stay in the Jedi Order or does he leave to have his family?

I guess at that point, Grievous would become the main villain of the OT? He might take the Death Star plans that were already in development and go get it built in some small forgotten corner of the galaxy, if he had the resources. Maybe a half size version, still scary.

Grievous would have been dead already since Obi-Wan killed him before Mace ever entered Palpatine's office (the whole point of the Jedi going to see Palpatine was to tell him Grievous had died and he should declare an end to his emergency powers).

Ezalc

Well if they were to continue with the new canon there's always Ventress and Maul (though I don't know what happens to him in Son of Dathomir.) I'm sure more villains can be thought up too, but I just would enjoy seeing a time where Anakin wasn't an idiot and the council wasn't a bunch of blind extremists either.

sphagnum

Banned
Well if they were to continue with the new canon there's always Ventress and Maul (though I don't know what happens to him in Son of Dathomir.) I'm sure more villains can be thought up too, but I just would enjoy seeing a time where Anakin wasn't an idiot and the council wasn't a bunch of blind extremists either.

In regards to Maul, (Son of Dathomir spoilers)
he escapes at the end, but Mother Talzin is dead and his Shadow Collective organization is destroyed. Sidious tells Dooku to let him go because he no longer poses a threat. We know that he was going to feature in some more TCW episodes later and I believe there's some concept art of him in a new, heavier robe. Since Ahsoka later went on to help Bo-Katan retake Mandalore I don't know if he was supposed to die during that arc or not. Currently his status is unknown.

Zombine

Banned
he escapes at the end, but Mother Talzin is dead and his Shadow Collective organization is destroyed. Sidious tells Dooku to let him go because he no longer poses a threat. We know that he was going to feature in some more TCW episodes later and I believe there's some concept art of him in a new, heavier robe. Since Ahsoka later went on to help Bo-Katan retake Mandalore I don't know if he was supposed to die during that arc or not. Currently his status is unknown.

Loved the book. I think the follow up will be saved for an Obi-Wan film.

Ezalc

I see, that's pretty cool. Hope that
he shows up in Rebels or something then. That'd be pretty interesting.

curb

Banned
I recently caved and bought all six movies on blu-ray so I finally got to Return of the Jedi last night. Lots of nostalgia. It looks great in HD but I'm really surprised that for all the changes and touch ups made in the Special Editions, they didn't fix all the blue screen boxes around the ships when the scenes were composited. I'm not super picky when it comes to this stuff but it seemed like they were all over the movie. Not just ships too, I could see a box around the Emperor in one scene when he was sitting on his throne in the Death Star.

I'm sure it was never noticeable in muddy SD but it was borderline distracting on my HDTV. Maybe it's partly my TV settings but it just surprised me. This example is fairly faint by comparison but you can see a rectangle to the left of the A-Wing cockpit:

ObjectsInViewportAreCloserThanTheyAppear-ROTJ.png

sphagnum

Banned
I recently caved and bought all six movies on blu-ray so I finally got to Return of the Jedi last night. Lots of nostalgia. It looks great in HD but I'm really surprised that for all the changes and touch ups made in the Special Editions, they didn't fix all the blue screen boxes around the ships when the scenes were composited. I'm not super picky when it comes to this stuff but it seemed like they were all over the movie. Not just ships too, I could see a box around the Emperor in one scene when he was sitting on his throne in the Death Star.

I'm sure it was never noticeable in muddy SD but it was borderline distracting on my HDTV. Maybe it's partly my TV settings but it just surprised me. This example is fairly faint by comparison but you can see a rectangle to the left of the A-Wing cockpit:

Yeah, there's plenty of these. You can still Piett "fading" through the bottom of the viewscreen when Vader strangles Ozzel in ESB, there's tons of boxes around ships in the Death Star trench run, bad lightsaber effects particularly in ANH, etc. It kind of feels like Lucas was more interested in inserting things than fixing every technical problem. Some people have speculated that some of the bad special effects may have been left that way (in particular the lightsaber training scene on the Falcon in ANH) to honor how difficult they were to originally pull off.

curb

Banned
Yeah, there's plenty of these. You can still Piett "fading" through the bottom of the viewscreen when Vader strangles Ozzel in ESB, there's tons of boxes around ships in the Death Star trench run, bad lightsaber effects particularly in ANH, etc. It kind of feels like Lucas was more interested in inserting things than fixing every technical problem. Some people have speculated that some of the bad special effects may have been left that way (in particular the lightsaber training scene on the Falcon in ANH) to honor how difficult they were to originally pull off.

I could see that. Although, didn't they make a big deal about cleaning up the lines around the snowspeeders in the Hoth battle for the Special Editions?

Lords of the Sith was a huge let down.

The first few chapters were fun, but then Paul Kemp started dragging it down too long. It took forever to get to the plot point revealed on the in-jacket summary. Over halfway through the book, in fact. His tiny vocabulary was incredibly distracting. In the first three pages of Chapter 16 alone, he has Vader use a "blast of power" six or seven times. Blast of power blast of power blast of power blasts of power come the fuck on. He also had the Emperor "cackle" probably 15 times. There are other words for laughing, Paul.

The story elements were weak, the original (or non Vader/Emperor) characters were bad, and the latter half was terribly paced. The worst offense was that the book was teased as being
Vader and the Emporer stranded on a planet together, but that didn't happen until over halway into the book
. Heir to the Jedi had a similar problem, revealing the plot point in the summary but not actually getting there until halfway through the story.

Also, not sure how the author/editors didn't catch this but there was a pretty dumb continuity error in Lords of the Sith about halfway through the book.

So Vader, Emperor, four guards, and two pilots are in the shuttle that crashes. The pilots die in the crash. One Royal Guard is killed in the crash (Guard #4). Two Guards (#1 & #2) are fine. Guard #3 is wounded and unconscious, and the Emperor orders the two living Guards to kill him so they are not slowed down. Vader/Emporer/Royal Guards #1 and #2 leave. Four alive and four dead bodies left behind.

Then, when the Sith/Guards set up camp, one of Cham's rebel patrols finds their encampment and a battle starts. The passing Rebel ship starts shooting at them and manages to kill one of the guards on page 169:
"The freighters opened fire, writing thick lines of plasma onto the air. The shots churned the ground, destroyed trees, heated the air of the clearing; one slammed into the chest of a Royal Guard and vaporized all of him save for his helmet."

Yet a few pages later it is again Vader, Emperor, and two guards (Sergeant Deez and the Captain of the Guard) that lived through the assault. They never mention the dead Royal Guard after that little snippet I just posted. In fact, on 170, Paul writes:
"Vader, his Master, and the two Royal Guards stood untouched amid the smoking craters of blasterfire that pockmarked the terrain."

So one Guard was vaporized but actually no because the four of them are standing untouched on the battlefield. Okay.

Then later on, Cham and his crew find the shuttle and Goll goes up to look at the downed shuttle. He finds three dead bodies. The two pilots and one Royal Guard. But weren't there four when Vader and the Emperor left the ship? There were three, but then the Emperor ordered one of the living Guards to kill the wounded one so they wouldn't slow down.

So one Royal Guard died in the crash but actually lived through it to die going against one of Cham's cronies but then his body is never found later and is in fact never mentioned again. Guard #3 clearly died at some point, but Paul is completely inconsistent about where or when that actually happened.

How does something like that get through the editing process? It doesn't make any sense.

I already have Dark Disciple pre-ordered, and I have to get Aftermath because it apparently sets up Episode VII, but as a whole these new canon books have been let-downs. None of them have been good, Tarkin was probably the best one and that was just "okay". If DD/Aftermath don't bring the quality I'm not going to be buying these books on release anymore. Not unless they really have good reviews.

Disney came out and basically said these new books are going to be canon and are going to have impacts on the movies and blah blah blah but so far all we have is:
  • Tarkin - An inconsequential book about a character who had 10 minutes of screen time in one movie
  • A New Dawn - A book about a pair of characters mainlining a TV series (but not showing at all how the rest of the crew was assembled)
  • Heir to the Jedi - A book about Luke that features him and a bunch of characters who are never going to be mentioned again. A book where nothing happens until almost halfway through. A book that's main feature of character development is
    that Luke tries to use the Force to eat noodles
  • Lords of the Sith - A book about Vader and the Emporer but not really because 3/5 of the book featured minor characters that will never be featured again.

One dud was whatever. One dud. Two could be chalked up to being a coincidence. Three is the start of a trend, and four in a row is the continuation of that very disappointing trend.

That's what these four books have been for me. Disappointing. A very disappointing start of the new EU of Star Wars.

Rootbeer

Banned
Forgot to post this yesterday... xkcd from earlier this year:

star_wars.png

We've passed the tipping point!

FUBAR McDangles: I haven't read any of them start to finish... but your thoughts on the new canon books are being echoed just about everywhere I'm reading opinions about it. It's not off to a great start. I really, really hope The Force Awakens stuff starts to change that.

I am however really loving the comics overall, even if some of it feels very retread-y, there's also stuff (particularly Kanan) that's making for excellent additions to the canon.

Some promo images for RotJ, I don't know how rare they are but I've never seen them before.

PRrZAqw.jpg

daL7Sp5.jpg

ulhua9s.jpg

LS7Lv7M.jpg

yigysXm.jpg

nLnxFXE.jpg

pnhPtAn.jpg

atqnADc.jpg

TDEuAtd.jpg

I recently caved and bought all six movies on blu-ray so I finally got to Return of the Jedi last night. Lots of nostalgia. It looks great in HD but I'm really surprised that for all the changes and touch ups made in the Special Editions, they didn't fix all the blue screen boxes around the ships when the scenes were composited.

I believe that this, more than anything, is a sign that the contrast/brightness on your display isn't correctly calibrated. Or at least it's a signifier that something's off.

You're not really supposed to see those even IF they didn't go back and remove them.

I've seen the Despecializeds on a theater-sized screen, and while there were some artifacts I probably shouldn't have seen (which is a hazard when you're blowing up 720p to 20ft across) I don't remember actually seeing any of the matte boxes.

edit: Wow. Those ROTJ pictures. Where'd you get those? Is there an album you pulled them from or something? I wanna share those on the Full of Sith page if I can.

curb

Banned
I believe that this, more than anything, is a sign that the contrast/brightness on your display isn't correctly calibrated. Or at least it's a signifier that something's off.

You're not really supposed to see those even IF they didn't go back and remove them.

I've seen the Despecializeds on a theater-sized screen, and while there were some artifacts I probably shouldn't have seen (which is a hazard when you're blowing up 720p to 20ft across) I don't remember actually seeing any of the matte boxes.

I don't think it's my TV as I've done my calibration. I'm sure that once I noticed one I started seeing it everywhere though.

baseless speculation and possible spoilery talk follows about The Force Awakens and the 2nd teaser:

I think the echo in the second teaser is Kylo Ren:

It sounds like Adam Driver and it sounds like he says:

"My Grandfather has it"

Interesting that he doesn't echo 'I have it.'

"My sister has it".

Maybe he doesn't have the force but is just a psychopath, jealous over his sister who does have the force.

I know that Mark Hamill said that was his voice in the echo but it doesn't sound like him at all.
It sounds like they re recorded the ROTJ lines that are spoken in the teaser and that's what he's referring to, with Adam Driver's lines as the echo.

What do you all think?

That's what these four books have been for me. Disappointing. A very disappointing start of the new EU of Star Wars.

I'm not quite as disappointed as you are on the product so far, but I agree that the quality is not there. It's not that surprising - the same people and editors at LFL and Del Rey that were behind the god awful last few years of the EU are still in charge of the novels. The piss-poor editing has been an issue for years now.

Aftermath has a lot riding on it. They understandably have had to be treading water in terms of plot in order to avoid any complications down the line with the Sequel Trilogy, but that's not going to be an excuse in 4 months. They better hit it out of the park with that one.

I'm not quite as disappointed as you are on the product so far, but I agree that the quality is not there. It's not that surprising - the same people and editors at LFL and Del Rey that were behind the god awful last few years of the EU are still in charge of the novels. The piss-poor editing has been an issue for years now.

Ugh this makes sense. I guess I don't know a whole lot about the professional editing process but there has to be some better alternatives somewhere. If they really want to relaunch the new canon they have to bring in some new blood. All of the authors so far have already written books in the Legends line and from what I can tell none of them were what you could term stand-outs.

Hire big time Sci-Fi writers. Hell, Halo did it with Greg Bear. He's not amazing and he isn't insanely talented, but he knocked a trilogy of Halo books right out of the park. Maybe Star Wars should do the same.

Aftermath has a lot riding on it. They understandably have had to be treading water in terms of plot in order to avoid any complications down the line with the Sequel Trilogy, but that's not going to be an excuse in 4 months. They better hit it out of the park with that one.

Agree completely. I know for sure that Aftermath will be my cutoff point if the quality doesn't improve. I imagine it's the same idea for many others.

Rootbeer

Banned
baseless speculation and possible spoilery talk follows about The Force Awakens and the 2nd teaser:
It's a fun theory but we already know who that echo is. It's Mark. They had him re-record his lines from Jedi because they weren't sure if they wanted to use the original lines or him in his current voice.

They decided to use both... with the newer recording heard faintly underneath the original lines. He disclosed this at Celebration.

Would have been a fun easter egg if it were Kylo I suppose.

bengraven

So I was looking at the AT-AT on Wikipedia out of curiosity (my favorite Star Wars vehicle) and remembered that there was one in Return, but for one brief shot. And Wiki says this: "delivers Luke to Darth Vader". I guess I never put two and two together and though it could be wrong, I wonder if it's true. That the one AT-AT we see in Jedi is delivering Luke to Vader. It makes sense since we see them in the next scene.

Maybe it made sense to all you and I'm LTTP.

Cheebo

Banned

"My Grandfather has it"

"My sister has it".

Maybe he doesn't have the force but is just a psychopath, jealous over his sister who does have the force.

I know that Mark Hamill said that was his voice in the echo but it doesn't sound like him at all.
It sounds like they re recorded the ROTJ lines that are spoken in the teaser and that's what he's referring to, with Adam Driver's lines as the echo.

What do you all think?
None of that is true, sorry man.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Luckily Star Wars and Marvel are now under one company and alternate universes is what they do
until the next reboot

Forget that, they should bring in Lumiya from the original series. Who doesn't love a lightsaber whip?

sphagnum

Banned
Lords of the Sith was a huge let down.

I wasn't too big on LotS either, although I didn't mind that it took a long time to
get Vader and Sheev stranded on Ryloth.
In fact I'd say everything up to that point was very interesting. The
destruction of the Perilous itself was really well done
. The second half just has waaaaay too much padding though, with multiple chapters devoted to
the two of the running away from lyleks. And Vader seems way too fast in this book compared to everything else so far shown in canon. My other main complaint with it was that they never actually found out who the traitor in the bureaucracy was, unless the point was that Sheev was feeding the Free Ryloth Movement the intel in the first place. I figured that's what he meant at the end when he told Isval that their movement was pointless but it wasn't very obvious.
I also thought it was interesting that
Cham survived. Maybe he'll show up in Rebels?

I wasn't too big on LotS either, although I didn't mind that it took a long time to
get Vader and Sheev stranded on Ryloth.
In fact I'd say everything up to that point was very interesting. The
destruction of the Perilous itself was really well done
. The second half just has waaaaay too much padding though, with multiple chapters devoted to
the two of the running away from lyleks.And Vader seems way too fast in this book compared to everything else so far shown in canon. My other main complaint with it was that they never actually found out who the traitor in the bureaucracy was, unless the point was that Sheev was feeding the Free Ryloth Movement the intel in the first place. I figured that's what he meant at the end when he told Isval that their movement was pointless but it wasn't very obvious.
I also thought it was interesting that
Cham survived. Maybe he'll show up in Rebels?

Might as well just spoil everything I write just so I don't have only a handful of words outside of black bars:

I agree that everything up until the destruction of the Perilous was good. It was a little drawn out, but it was done alright. Vader was an absolute boss in that first chapter where he singlehandedly took down the rebel ship.

But his power was inconsistent in volume and inconsistent with his character. He shouldn't be able to spryly jump around and leap from edge to edge on cliffs or zip around like Yoda. He shouldn't be able to force choke through space and pull down a speeding ship with his bare hands and then barely be able to push back two lyleks at a time. I expected The Force Unleashed type of violence where he wrecks everything in huge "blasts of power".

Back half of the book was incredibly slow like I said in my initial rant above. Very disappointing because it just took forever.

And Cham is Hera's father, right? I imagine he returns. Would be kind of cool to see him pop up in Rebel One.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just got a gold Boba Fett in the Topps app that said "coming soon" with a 0 on the back. What's up with that?

i've had it happen a lot. it might be a cache issue. in iOS there is an option within the app to clear the cache. i can't find that same option on android. i wonder if clearing the cache from the android system settings would have any impact on it?

even if you go into your card collection and open the card/turn it over it still doesn't correct it.

anyway, wow guys the topjoy offers for credits are absolutely terrible... TERRIBLE! I haven't looked at the offers in a few days, but I just checked and it's like 50 credits to play a video. most packs are 5000 credits... so insulting and stupid.

Tapejara

Pre-ordered Dark Disciple and Aftermath, but the wait for more Star Wars books is killing me. I haven't read A New Dawn or Heir to the Jedi yet, so I might as well do that now. Not too interested in the material, but it's better than nothing. Plus with the Rebels premiere approaching I might as well catch up on Kanan's backstory.

ghostmind

i've had it happen a lot. it might be a cache issue. in iOS there is an option within the app to clear the cache. i can't find that same option on android. i wonder if clearing the cache from the android system settings would have any impact on it?

even if you go into your card collection and open the card/turn it over it still doesn't correct it.

anyway, wow guys the topjoy offers for credits are absolutely terrible... TERRIBLE! I haven't looked at the offers in a few days, but I just checked and it's like 50 credits to play a video. most packs are 5000 credits... so insulting and stupid.

I see that you got "Jazz-hand" Boba Fett - love that card.

Rootbeer

Banned
I see that you got "Jazz-hand" Boba Fett - love that card.

Yeah I don't know why I even tried to get it... I know I can't complete the set. Hoping they start some new sets soon (and ones that I like) so I can get in from the first card. That will make it easy.

ghostmind

Yeah I don't know why I even tried to get it... I know I can't complete the set. Hoping they start some new sets soon (and ones that I like) so I can get in from the first card. That will make it easy.

Well, the two Rebels sets just ended, and Shred just posted its final card today, so I'm sure we will see some new sets soon.

Thursday will also be an opportunity for many to get into the "Marathon" sets, as we start leg 2 on Vintage (followed by Connections, Widevision, Topps Choice, Galactic Moments, and Bounty). Those that gave up chasing the first leg can now go after legs 2 and 3, without having the problems of starting late. I'm expecting an increase of interest in Marathons with this switch, so I'll be picking up a few of each "first" card of the leg.

XAL

Cool little behind the scenes clip of the Tie fighter hangar scene from the second trailer. That poor Stormtrooper goes flying.

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/05/video-a-few-seconds-of-a-sequence-from-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

George would have done it all in CG. I'm glad Abrams is making it.

"My Grandfather has it"

"My sister has it".

What do you all think?

I always thought that was the villain's voice underneath Luke's. But then Hamill said it was his. :\

I think Kylo has the force, he does that force push motion in the trailer. Would be goofy if he was running around an intense battle throwing his hand out all https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw

Top Bottom