• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Hex

Banned
I am kicking myself in the soul that I did not prepare and arrange to attend celebration.
I am just glad that there is some streaming this year.

Hayden's back. Back again.

C8RTFbXWsAA1RrG.jpg

Snaku

Banned
Gentle Giant announced their Premier Guild exclusives for 2017 and it includes a 1:8 scale Darth Revan statue! Just placed my order for a Platinum membership, no way am I missing out on finally getting a Revan statue.

img_5253m1l9d.jpg

Gentle Giant announced their Premier Guild exclusives for 2017 and it includes a 1:8 scale Darth Revan statue! Just placed my order for a Platinum membership, no way am I missing out on finally getting a Revan statue.

img_5253m1l9d.jpg

Fuuuuck that's cool.

Man I hope they bring Revan into the new canon at some point.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Much like Jake Lloyd ironically, I think people give Hayden way too much shit for his performances.

By all accounts, George can be an appalling director when it comes to directing his actors, having never really displayed any kind of idea how to work with them. In addition, there are very, very few actors who I could imagine making dialogue like this work:

Star-Wars-Prequels-image-star-wars-prequels-36425427-664-564.jpg

"You can write that shit George, but you can't say it!"

Mr Plinkett put it best, though: Leave him alone, kids. Even Lawrence Oliver wouldn't have been able to do anything with the lines Lucas wrote!

In interviews, Hayden's seemed like a perfectly nice guy...so I'm really glad to hear he's coming back to Celebration. so he can start forming more positive associations with a fan-base that in the past has been so nasty to him.

Yojimbo Obi movie.. Make it so.

(Approving nod)

Started scheduling out my Celebration stay this morning.

Thursday:

40 Years of Star Wars: 11 AM - 12:30 PM
Dave Filoni: Animated Origins and Unexpected Fates 1:30 PM - 2:30 PM
Always Two There Are: Ian McDiarmid and Ray Park 4 PM - 5 PM

Friday:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi: 11 AM - 12:30 PM
Making of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story: 1:30 PM - 2:30 PM
Star Wars Collectibles Update: 2:30 PM - 4 PM (gonna be tight with time)
Mark Hamill's Carrie Fisher Tribute: 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM

Saturday: Star Wars Rebels Season 4 Sneak Peek: 11 AM - 12:30 PM
Galaxywide Premiere of Battlefront II: 2:30 PM - 3:30 PM
Hasbro Star Wars: 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM

I didn't realize that Sunday was gonna be a full day so I'm probably gonna have to miss closing ceremony cause I gotta head back home. Shit sucks.

Catching up on everything for Celebration now that I'm officially prepping. Hate the new wrist band rule of two big stage panels a day limit. I get it but don't like it. Also didn't realize that I can get in line now at 8 PM the night before so this'll be awful.

marq_roq

Neo Member
Catching up on everything for Celebration now that I'm officially prepping. Hate the new wrist band rule of two big stage panels a day limit. I get it but don't like it. Also didn't realize that I can get in line now at 8 PM the night before so this'll be awful.

Yeah, I figured I'm going to be there from 8pm Wednesday night until 6pm Friday and then head over to Disney Studios for their Star Wars night. I may have bitten off too much.

And then may be back again at 5am Saturday depending on how well I do merch wise the first 2 days...

So these are just idle musings, but does anyone else feel they are at least considering an on film appearance for Dr Aphra? And if so, do you guys reckon she'll work?

Aphra seems to be getting a lot of focus for a comic original character, getting top billing alongside Darth Vader and the OT crew, and now headlining her own comic. She's also appeared in several of the games.

Personally, from a visual standpoint, I think she could slot in just fine. She's got an understated look that I think would work really well with live action, unlike a lot of comic only characters who I feel look good as a cartoon, but would likely look silly and overdesigned in real life.

That said, I feel her backstory would be a hard sell. Convincing a mainstream audience that this perky
fake
doctor used to be a trusted agent of Darth Vader, and has rubbed shoulders with the Emperor, Luke, Leia and Han whilst never appearing in the original movies seems like a really tough task.

But then again, Marvel managed to convince scores of people to watch a fucking Ant Man movie, so what do I know?

Finally got around to finishing Empire's End. I enjoyed it a lot. Both Life Debt and Empire's End were a big step up from the original book.

Some spoilery thoughts on it:

After initially being a bit disappointed with Rax's 'big plan', I warmed to it a bit by the end. The Emperor wanting the Empire to be destroyed as punishment for failing him definitely fits his character. He'd see it as no one else being able or worthy to fill his role. Rax was a good villain but he never quite fulfilled the promise of some of his scenes in Life Debt.

I also didn't expect Sloane to escape to the Unknown Regions. I was sure she'd take out Rax but end up getting killed as well. Glad she made it off Jakku alive though and it'll be interesting to see how much input she had in the creation of the First Order as we know it. I enjoyed the small parts with little Hux too. Enjoying his control over the other child soldiers was a nice bit of foreshadowing and that combined with the poor relationship with his father adds some depth to his personality in TFA.

I was surprised none of the main characters (apart from Bones) kicked the bucket. After his first death, I had a feeling he'd still end up as scrap before the end of the story. Being shot by his own team made it especially sad. I haven't felt this sad about a droid's death since that 3PO one-shot, haha.

Mon Mothma's role in the book was another of my favourite parts. I think she benefits from some of Wendig's best writing and I liked how Empire's End delved into the more political side of the New Republic again like Bloodline. Though I enjoyed Han's role in Life Debt, relegating him to the sidelines a bit helped in giving the necessary time to the main characters. I was surprised Jom was such a non-entity after his growing role in Life Debt though. There's one small chapter with him and then we find out he died.

The interlude with the Acolytes of the Beyond made the theories about them being an early form of the Knights of Ren even more likely. I loved the little nod to the Lando comic too.

All in all, I had a good time with it. The Battle of Jakku was the highlight, I hope some of the characters return in some other media (Sinjir and Jas especially) and it was a solid end to the trilogy.

Top Bottom