• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Finally got around to finishing Empire's End. I enjoyed it a lot. Both Life Debt and Empire's End were a big step up from the original book.

Some spoilery thoughts on it:

After initially being a bit disappointed with Rax's 'big plan', I warmed to it a bit by the end. The Emperor wanting the Empire to be destroyed as punishment for failing him definitely fits his character. He'd see it as no one else being able or worthy to fill his role. Rax was a good villain but he never quite fulfilled the promise of some of his scenes in Life Debt.

I also didn't expect Sloane to escape to the Unknown Regions. I was sure she'd take out Rax but end up getting killed as well. Glad she made it off Jakku alive though and it'll be interesting to see how much input she had in the creation of the First Order as we know it. I enjoyed the small parts with little Hux too. Enjoying his control over the other child soldiers was a nice bit of foreshadowing and that combined with the poor relationship with his father adds some depth to his personality in TFA.

I was surprised none of the main characters (apart from Bones) kicked the bucket. After his first death, I had a feeling he'd still end up as scrap before the end of the story. Being shot by his own team made it especially sad. I haven't felt this sad about a droid's death since that 3PO one-shot, haha.

Mon Mothma's role in the book was another of my favourite parts. I think she benefits from some of Wendig's best writing and I liked how Empire's End delved into the more political side of the New Republic again like Bloodline. Though I enjoyed Han's role in Life Debt, relegating him to the sidelines a bit helped in giving the necessary time to the main characters. I was surprised Jom was such a non-entity after his growing role in Life Debt though. There's one small chapter with him and then we find out he died.

The interlude with the Acolytes of the Beyond made the theories about them being an early form of the Knights of Ren even more likely. I loved the little nod to the Lando comic too.

All in all, I had a good time with it. The Battle of Jakku was the highlight, I hope some of the characters return in some other media (Sinjir and Jas especially) and it was a solid end to the trilogy.

Nice thoughts. Agree with it all. Turned out to be a great trilogy of books.

witness

Bought tickets for Celebration! I'm so goddamn excited, I've never been to a big convention like this in my life. My wife surprised me with ordering the tickets. We are going on Saturday and I am ready to spend a lot of merch money. We skipped out on the 2012 show the last time it was here, but with the new movie we couldn't do that again.

Surfinn

Bought tickets for Celebration! I'm so goddamn excited, I've never been to a big convention like this in my life. My wife surprised me with ordering the tickets. We are going on Saturday and I am ready to spend a lot of merch money. We skipped out on the 2012 show the last time it was here, but with the new movie we couldn't do that again.
Congrats. I'm sure you'll both have a great time.

FYI more Mark Hamill photo op tickets were made available for April 13. Since it isn't going to interfere with the 40th panel I bought one. Friend and I are gonna go together.

EDIT: I think I lied I think they only put one up, probably a cancellation, and I grabbed it cause it's sold out again. I'm super pumped though!

Celebration was great last year and I really can't wait to watch the livestream for Orlando. If it comes back to London, I think I'll be going for more than just a single day.

:)
Mo7ccjH.jpg

curb

Banned
I completely forgot Rogue One was out on bluray today. I guess I'll have to pick up a copy tomorrow now. I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

Emarv

I've been getting back into Star Wars hard, lately. Marathoning Rebels, buying books, anticipating Celebration, etc. I was wondering which Star Wars podcasts you guys listen to? I could really go for some good podcasts about stuff (preferably not too spoiler heavy)

I listened to the episodes Bobby was in that he posted about (they were good, man). Daily podcasts are a lot but I'm down for whatever podcasts you all recommend. Thanks.

I picked up the Target version. I went to the entertainment department and there was only one of the special packages left. When I walked to the front of the store, there was an end cap with like two dozen more ha ha. I only own 3 Blu Rays, both editions of TFA and now Rogue One. No doubt, there will be a special version of Rogue One when Episode 8 comes out, right? I'll buy that too because I'm a sucker. Hoping for 40th anniversary version Original Trilogy without alterations, but I know that's a pipe dream. I will always have the De-Specialized Editions.

MXRider

Anyone have some tips for a celebration first timer? I'm only going Sunday right now, I might pick up a Saturday ticket also. Would I get to see 90% of the stuff on Sunday or should I go Saturday also?

Anyone have some tips for a celebration first timer? I'm only going Sunday right now, I might pick up a Saturday ticket also. Would I get to see 90% of the stuff on Sunday or should I go Saturday also?

Sunday is usually a pretty quiet day and the panel selection isn't great, but if you just wanted to walk the convention, see cool cosplay, and pick up some lingering marked down merchandise it's a decent day. Saturday is usually pretty nuts since a lot of people choose that as their one day.

Also looks like Hamill's autographs sold out this morning as well. Still stalking the website in hopes I can luck into a Felicity Jones ticket.

MXRider

Sunday is usually a pretty quiet day and the panel selection isn't great, but if you just wanted to walk the convention, see cool cosplay, and pick up some lingering marked down merchandise it's a decent day. Saturday is usually pretty nuts since a lot of people choose that as their one day.

Also looks like Hamill's autographs sold out this morning as well. Still stalking the website in hopes I can luck into a Felicity Jones ticket.

Ah I gotcha, are most of the big panels normally streamed online?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Still stalking the website in hopes I can luck into a Felicity Jones ticket.

Haloid pls, you don't have time for that; you've got to eat and sleep sometime! Think of your health, the people who care about you, the event staff who will have to carry your passed-out ass off the con floor after you've gone 60 hours without sleep or food!

Haloid pls, you don't have time for that; you've got to eat and sleep sometime! Think of your health, the people who care about you, the event staff who will have to carry your passed-out ass off the con floor after you've gone 60 hours without sleep or food!

I'm gonna eat come on now. And I'll nap (a bit). Should have bought Felicity's way sooner I don't see her doing a convention like this again.

|OT| Save Haloid, Save The Dream

I'll be fine guys I promise. I live on like three hours a sleep a day for the past month it'll all be fine totally fine no worries...

she will in 30 years when she's got nothing left

just like most of the other people who show up at cons

Felicity Jones isn't really the person 30 years down the line who will need conventions considering she was a successful actress long before Star Wars and whose career more than likely won't be defined by a Star Wars anthology film.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Felicity Jones isn't really the person 30 years down the line who will need conventions considering she was a successful actress long before Star Wars and whose career more than likely won't be defined by a Star Wars anthology film.

And yet Morena Baccarin still shows up at conventions to sign photos of herself as Inara.

Time will tell for Felicity.

Rekubot

Star Wars #30 is out today as well.

I've found this arc quite difficult to enjoy. Looking forward to the crossover with Aphra though.
Same. It felt like filler that led nowhere and taught me nothing about any of the characters I care about. I also don't understand how Luke was able to travel to another system if he was supposed to be stranded by R2's shenanigans, but whatever.

I didn't think the uncanny valley could apply to comics, but Luke's face in this issue counts; it stands out even further due to how simplistically the other characters are drawn. It's a shame how inconsistent the art is because it looked great in the Obi-Wan flashback issues.

Top Bottom