• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars RPGs: What is EA/Disney waiting for?

jtb

Banned
KOTOR is the best Star Wars game ever. One of the best RPGs ever. Put BioWare on the map as a AAA developer. (Yes, yes, BG2 is great but the Interplay games were always pretty niche)

KOTOR 2 had plenty of warts on release, but is still a damn good game and is held in high regard also - and received critical acclaim on release.

I don't understand how we've gone more than 10 (!) years without another Star Wars RPG. Was it just because they were afraid of cannibalizing their MMO? Not ~edgy~ enough to compete teenage angst unleashed? No material to work with after nuking the EU?

In general, I'm baffled by the lack of push to cash in on the Star Wars IP when it's clearly either the first or second most valuable film IP atm

Patryn

i think they are in the middle of making a big one

don't know if it's RPG or just action/adventure

If it's an action/adventure game (which it supposedly is if we're talking the Amy Hennig game), it's not an RPG, and thus it does not qualify for what he's talking about.

TDLink

EA doesn't really make RPGs. Bioware is a very different company now than they were in the KOTOR days, and their more recent "RPGs" lean far more heavily into straight up being action games with RPG elements.

The real problem is Disney doesn't really care about video games and with the dissolution of LucasArts, just gave EA a 10 year exclusivity contract on the franchise (outside of LEGO).

So we're only going to get games from EA utilizing the IP which are what they're good at. Stuff like Battlefront or a more cinematic based game like what Amy Hennig is working on. It's a big disappointment since Star Wars can be applied to so many different genres (and has in the past). But EA only makes AAA games in a select few genres, so that's what we're going to get...at least until the deal is up.

They're still running a star wars mmo in the KOTOR universe, they're developing an AAA action/adventure/tps and an AAA FPS with the licence. Probably more projects brewing behind the scenes early in dev but they can't just turn all of their studios into The Star Wars Factory. Bioware is busy with Anthem and Dragon Age.

Maybe they don't want to make an RPG game for Star Wars in the moment. Like you said, they have the MMO that people can play if they want something newish. The problem I can see is that if they make a new Star Wars RPG people will just call it terrible because it's not like the Knights of the Old Republic games.

nynt9

RPGs are one of the most expensive and difficult genres to make and given how Mass Effect Andromeda bombed I don't think they're too eager to attempt a new one.

Sizzel

The sadness when they announced KOTOR 3 was actually going to be not that and an MMO was huge. They really wanted to cash in on the old(now) fad of MMOs. I sincerely believe it is because they already have a RPG product under that brand that they haven't released one or allocated resources to do so. KOTOR 2 got butchered, but was semi out back together to guess, I think they will wait until the MMO dies. iE why don't we have another Warcraft game.

I'm not expecting anything interesting from EA's decade lock down of the Star Wars IP. They're going to play it extremely safe. They'll release a game a year, make a billion dollars off each one and call it a massive success.

jtb

Banned
Is the Old Republic even profitable? It obviously didn't perform well enough under a sub model, but maybe it's more profitable to make a F2P MMO these days then it used to? Idk. If there was an IP that could pull it off, it's Star Wars.

They're still running a star wars mmo in the KOTOR universe, they're developing an AAA action/adventure/tps and an AAA FPS with the licence. Probably more projects brewing behind the scenes early in dev but they can't just turn all of their studios into The Star Wars Factory. Bioware is busy with Anthem and Dragon Age.

Maybe they should! (Not even talking solely RPGs, either.) Seems like they're leaving crazy amounts of money on the table considering how the franchise went completely dark for the 360/PS3 generation.

Alastor3

KOTOR is the best Star Wars game ever. One of the best RPGs ever. Put BioWare on the map as a AAA developer. (Yes, yes, BG2 is great but the Interplay games were always pretty niche)

KOTOR 2 had plenty of warts on release, but is still a damn good game and is held in high regard also - and received critical acclaim on release.

IMO I don't want to start a debate but kotor 2 have better writing than the first game, also, Kreia. Great analysis about her btw: The Philosophy of Kreia: A Critical Examination of Star Wars

Pepboy

If it's an action/adventure game (which it supposedly is if we're talking the Amy Hennig game), it's not an RPG, and thus it does not qualify for what he's talking about.

I just want an open world skyrim/gta V set in Star Wars setting.

Saving up creds, buying y wings, x wings, yt1300, lambda shuttle, etc. Increasing skills. Maybe some dynamic war stuff.

It is my franchise dream game, one that likely will never be made. I think Disney would blow a gasket if they allowed had emergent gameplay in something that's clearly not a toy like Disney infinity.

Saving up creds, buying y wings, x wings, yt1300, lambda shuttle, etc. Increasing skills. Maybe some dynamic war stuff.

It is my franchise dream game, one that likely will never be made. I think Disney would blow a gasket if they allowed had emergent gameplay in something that's clearly not a toy like Disney infinity.

You are asking way too much.

Isnt Respawn working on a Star Wars game too? I really hope EA looks at then success the witcher 3, horizion zd and Zelda BOTW and puts the resources to making a open world rpg in the star wars universe.

TreIII

Don't forget the AAA "Jedi/Sith" Action game with Stig Asmussen and Respawn.

That one is especially what I'm waiting for!

Maybe they should! (Not even talking solely RPGs, either.) Seems like they're leaving crazy amounts of money on the table considering how the franchise went completely dark for the 360/PS3 generation.

They would definitely make bank, but the problem is they do so at the expense of growing IPs that they own themselves. While EA is happy to make money year in year out on Madden, Fifa and Star Wars, that must always be in conjunction with continuing to iterate on their existing IPs and developing new ones. If 75% of their business becomes Star Wars and they neglect their own properties, then suddenly Disney decides they want to build the IPs in house or give the license to Activision in 5 years time, they're fucked.

jtb

Banned

Sounds like you wanted a less borked OG Star Wars: Galaxies.

(Which, tbh, would probably be a lot more successful in today's day and age than it was when it released! But clearly is way too niche to ever be made)

They would definitely make bank, but the problem is they do so at the expense of growing IPs that they own themselves. While EA is happy to make money year in year out on Madden, Fifa and Star Wars, that must always be in conjunction with continuing to iterate on their existing IPs and developing new ones. If 75% of their business becomes Star Wars and they neglect their own properties, then suddenly Disney decides they want to build the IPs in house or give the license to Activision in 5 years time, they're fucked.

Very true.

As a related aside: does EA own the Titanfall IP? There was a time when EA was doing a bunch of partnerships with non-EA developers through EA partners, in the early Ricatello days.

yansolo

I think theres no universe better than the star wars one to have a witcher style rpg. It would sell a shit ton if done properly.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
EA made that license just so they can use the battle front IP again so they can get people to buy the dlc on a long term basis

Sou Da

Sounds like you wanted a less borked OG Star Wars: Galaxies.

(Which, tbh, would probably be a lot more successful in today's day and age than it was when it released! But clearly is way too niche to ever be made)

Very true.

As a related aside: does EA own the Titanfall IP? There was a time when EA was doing a bunch of partnerships with non-EA developers through EA partners, in the early Ricatello days.
They do not. Otherwise you'd probably see it on Frostbite by now.

I didnt have fun playing battlefront. It looks nice, but the game play is boring. I have been waiting for a good SW rpg for awhile.

120v

they're waiting on the almighty dollar

an AAA modern RPG sounds like a no brainer to us but it's jumping off a cliff for them. doesn't help that Disney seems to be conservative how they're going about the IP vis a vis gaming

it'll eventually happen but don't hold your breath

Toni

RPGs are one of the most expensive and difficult genres to make and given how Mass Effect Andromeda bombed I don't think they're too eager to attempt a new one.

This is Star Wars.

You literally can not compare Mass Effect to something like Star Wars. Like at all.

A multiplayer only game of Star Wars (Battlefront) went on to sell 17 million.

A Star Wars RPG with a good developer releasing close to one of the movies should do massive.

duckroll

Are they? Much like Kingdom Hearts for Square Enix, Star Wars is just a license for EA. It means no matter how much money it makes, they don't get all of it, and they don't own the IP. It means whatever they create, they don't have full control of, and down the line they might not have control of it at all.

Meanwhile every Battlefield, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, etc they make, it's all theirs and they get everything from merchandising as well.

jtb

Banned
Are they? Much like Kingdom Hearts for Square Enix, Star Wars is just a license for EA. It means no matter how much money it makes, they don't get all of it, and they don't own the IP. It means whatever they create, they don't have full control of, and down the line they might not have control of it at all.

Meanwhile every Battlefield, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, etc they make, it's all theirs and they get everything from merchandising as well.

Eh. As ThoseDeafMutes pointed out, it's not like EA doesn't have an enormous investment in sports franchises that are every bit as license dependent like FIFA and Madden. But I get your point. Easier to keep the momentum up with a franchise that already exists to maintain that license than roll the dice on Star Wars.

Also DA and ME barely crack 5m sold. If it's 15m Star Wars sold vs. 5m ME game, I don't know that the disparity is as obvious as you're making it

Clearly it was enough of an investment to cannibalize/complement Battlefield with Battlefront

How well will a pure RPG sell?

Skyrim, Fallout, Witcher 3 are all megasellers... 15m+ sold. It's not like you'd be shoehorning RPG mechanics into Star Wars; you already have lightsabers + the force. It's practically an RPG construct already!

duckroll

Eh. As ThoseDeafMutes pointed out, it's not like EA doesn't have an enormous investment in sports franchises that are every bit as license dependent like FIFA and Madden. But I get your point. Easier to keep the momentum up with a franchise that already exists to maintain that license than roll the dice on Star Wars.

Also DA and ME barely crack 5m sold. If it's 15m Star Wars sold vs. 5m ME game, I don't know that the disparity is as obvious as you're making it

Clearly it was enough of an investment to cannibalize/complement Battlefield with Battlefront

The point wasn't "EA shouldn't make Star Wars games" the point was "saying EA is leaving money on the table by not putting every single studio on Star Wars and just Star Wars, is a really dumb thing to say".

https://www.ea.com/play2016/news/the-future-of-ea-and-star-wars-games

EA is committed to Star Wars. They have a bunch of currently active and upcoming games. They have some of their best teams working on Star Wars - DICE, Visceral (with ex-Naughty Dog leads), Respawn, Bioware, and even mobile stuff. That's a lot.

But why would they go all in? They don't even go all in with Sports. Sports is not all EA makes. They also make other things because it is always far more valuable to have your own hit franchise. Is there a good chance they could get a 15m+ seller with a Star Wars RPG if they went all in on it? Sure. Is there also a chance they could finally get their 15m+ seller if they could get something like Anthem to take off? Yes. Which is a more attractive proposition for them?

jtb

Banned
A Star Wars RPG obviously :p

Anthem is like five years late to the party. Has megabomb written all over it.

Renekton

Skyrim, Fallout, Witcher 3 are all megasellers... 15m+ sold. It's not like you'd be shoehorning RPG mechanics into Star Wars; you already have lightsabers + the force. It's practically an RPG construct already!
With this line of thinking, I could namedrop LOL and Dota then proclaim the MOBA genre being an untapped gold mine.

The WRPG market seems like feast and famine at the moment. Either hit it big like Skyrim, or scale down to indie like the Avellone vehicles.

I'm not sure if the SW IP alone can carry, given TOR's poor launch.

Sou Da

With this line of thinking, I could namedrop LOL and Dota then proclaim the MOBA genre being an untapped gold mine.

The WRPG market seems like feast and famine at the moment. Either hit it big like Skyrim, or scale down to indie like the Avellone vehicles.
He's a flame paint job at most involvement wise these days.

Do we know what kind of game Respawn is making? Dice is doing FPS. Amy's joint is doing the TPS/Action. It's possible Respawn is working on an RPG. It'd be out of their usual wheelhouse, but then again look what GG was able to do with Horizon.

duckroll

Do we know what kind of game Respawn is making? Dice is doing FPS. Amy's joint is doing the TPS/Action. It's possible Respawn is working on an RPG. It'd be out of their usual wheelhouse, but then again look what GG was able to do with Horizon.

"Our partners at Respawn Entertainment are making their own 3rd person action adventure game, one that features a different style of gameplay and takes place in a different timeline we have yet to explore with our EA Star Wars titles."

Top Bottom