• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars RPGs: What is EA/Disney waiting for?

"Our partners at Respawn Entertainment are making their own 3rd person action adventure game, one that features a different style of gameplay and takes place in a different timeline we have yet to explore with our EA Star Wars titles."

Ah, I see.

Still excited to see what they can do.

MAtgS

I'm kinda hoping the Dragon Age team is doing a re-canoned Kotor reboot. We don't really need a DA4 right away, do we?

NoPiece

I'd take a KOTOR and KOTOR II remaster while they figure out a new RPG.

tumblr_n2wcpqprkS1qjl1wro2_400.gif

Is Bioware working on something related to Star Wars at all? The MMO?
All they have is the MMO. The rest of Bioware is working on Dragon Age and Anthem.
Destiny and Division's market saturation, and the tepid response to Andromeda

1. Two games don't make it a saturated market.

2. People would have the same tepid response towards them making a Star Wars game.

Pepboy

Sounds like you wanted a less borked OG Star Wars: Galaxies.

(Which, tbh, would probably be a lot more successful in today's day and age than it was when it released! But clearly is way too niche to ever be made)

Very true.

As a related aside: does EA own the Titanfall IP? There was a time when EA was doing a bunch of partnerships with non-EA developers through EA partners, in the early Ricatello days.

Yeah I had a blast in Galaxies back in the day, though I think I quit before they had ships you could fly. And it never escaped its MMORPG trappings, what with the grinding and relatively minimal story. I agree the open world economy was unique though.

I still dream of a single player RPG that's not linear. Witcher 3 in space with purchasable ships, ideally.

Pepboy

When it comes to MMO-type service games, often the market can't even support that many!

I think Anthem will be a mediocre (relative to expectations) game that will succeed and has a good chance of pushing Destiny out. Because Destiny had multiple years to fix their production pipeline and was unable. Resulting in milking their fanbase (in terms of content per dollar) to the point of exhaustion. I'm sure people will keep playing just like Diablo series, but the brand is somewhat tainted now and I think we will see that in disappointing Destiny 2 sales.

I think Anthem will be a mediocre (relative to expectations) game that will succeed and has a good chance of pushing Destiny out. Because Destiny had multiple years to fix their production pipeline and was unable. Resulting in milking their fanbase (in terms of content per dollar) to the point of exhaustion. I'm sure people will keep playing just like Diablo series, but the brand is somewhat tainted now and I think we will see that in disappointing Destiny 2 sales.

Tainted? Slow down there buddy. This ain't pre-Taken King anymore.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Dipped my toes in both, not much more.

Basically the endemic issue with the genre is that the games run out of content fast unlike how a PvP game works, so people tend to buy a lot of them to get more content.

They also buy a lot of DLC for their existing ones, but it's still not enough to actually sate the player base. Bungie has put 1100+ people on Destiny 2, but I think we'll still see a lot of complaints about content there.

There's no subscription fee either, so they're pretty low barrier to get a lot of.

Pepboy

Tainted? Slow down there buddy. This ain't pre-Taken King anymore.

Taken King may have changed the minds of the vocal fanbase and maybe the gaming press, but I doubt it was enough to get casuals engaged again. And still had issues like lack of matchmaking, what with 75% never finishing a raid. Also it was pretty expensive for what it contained. Anyways I am getting off topic I guess, but I think the Destiny brand is very vulnerable to competition at this point.

Give me a Star Wars game similar to Shadow of Mordor. Imagine that?
Pls no

If they're gonna make an action game with sabers I'd much rather have it follow the Jedi knight games, for honor or hell even force unleashed base models. Anything but AC/Warner Bros. counter heavy combat

Renekton

why did Disney give Star Wars to EA exclusively instead of licensing it out to different developers?
For almost every business, it's easier to coordinate with one big vendor than manage multiple.

The Jedi Knight and Force Unleashed games have awful combat, particularly the latter with its foam bat saber. I'm not saying AC/SoM is the answer but those outdated templates are non-starters, and I'd take AC/SoM style over them in a heartbeat for a modern Star Wars action RPG.
Just subcontract Platinum.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Pls no

If they're gonna make an action game with sabers I'd much rather have it follow the Jedi knight games, for honor or hell even force unleashed base models. Anything but AC/Warner Bros. counter heavy combat

The Jedi Knight and Force Unleashed games have awful combat, particularly the latter with its foam bat saber. I'm not saying AC/SoM is the answer but those outdated templates are non-starters, and I'd take AC/SoM style over them in a heartbeat for a modern Star Wars action RPG.

gogosox82

RPGs are one of the most expensive and difficult genres to make and given how Mass Effect Andromeda bombed I don't think they're too eager to attempt a new one.

I don't think that's the issue. The issue is the kind of rpg people want (like KOTOR) isn't what they are going to get. They are going to get something like Dragon Age: Inquisition (An rpg that did make money for EA but had very lite rpg mechanics and was more of an action game) which will disappoint many people myself included so they are better off not doing any rpgs.

I don't think that's the issue. The issue is the kind of rpg people want (like KOTOR) isn't what they are going to get. They are going to get something like Dragon Age: Inquisition (An rpg that did make money for EA but had very lite rpg mechanics and was more of an action game) which will disappoint many people myself included so they are better off not doing any rpgs.

Yea the crowd that wants super in depth RPGs is shrinking. Games like Skyrim and Fallout 4 are testament to that. Skyrim was pretty damn slim on RPG elements (Fallout 4 was even more so) and it sold a bazillion copies. People want more games like Skyrim and less games like Baldur's Gate.

They aren't milking Star Wars as much as I thought they would.

They're milking it in a respectful way so far. Battlefront, Amy Hennings game and Respawns game are a lot less then I expected so far.

Seems like they're aiming for quality over quantity.

duckroll

why did Disney give Star Wars to EA exclusively instead of licensing it out to different developers?

Because:
They met with everyone and EA was the only publisher willing to put high end studios on the IP, but only with an exclusivity deal.

Look, Disney isn't interested in publishing games in the traditional sense. They have no framework for it anymore, they basically closed their own studios and publishing arms. They don't want to contract developers to make games and have to babysit them. They want publishers to pitch ideas and be proactive in making what they themselves believe will be great Star Wars games, and committing to it. Turns out publishers aren't super interested to fight over it because it's an IP they don't own. EA was interested because of their long history with the IP.

Disney could have earned way more money by not restricting everything to EA.

They aren't restricting everything to EA. They are making strategic partnerships with a variety of their IP. Spiderman goes to Sony. Avengers goes to Square-Enix. Star Wars goes to EA. I doubt a company like EA would have been as interested in paying as much for the Star Wars license if Ubi and Activision were saturating the market with Star Wars games every year.

FeD.nL

Marketing blabla and all that but in 2016:

Beyond

That’s not all we have in production right now. Our partners at Respawn Entertainment are making their own 3rd person action adventure game, one that features a different style of gameplay and takes place in a different timeline we have yet to explore with our EA Star Wars titles. And we’re early in pre-production on some other projects we think you’re going to be excited about as well.

No matter the genre you play or the platform you play on, we will have a great Star Wars game for you. Join us, and together we can rule the galaxy.

I think it's fair to say that they have at least one RPG in pre-production, though if it's going to see the light of day remains to be seen.

DieH@rd

Banned
They have enough on their hands with Frostbite. They spent a lot of effort of porting the engine to support all the needed RPG features for Dragon Age Inquisition, Andromeda was built by a large team over such a long period of time [and end result was a wet fart], and and a new Dragon Age project is in the works. Plus they have Anthem and SWTOR mmorpg.

They are busy.

I would like for EA to outsorce next KOTOR-eque RPG to Obsidian.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I don't know what they are waiting for and it's driving me crazy. I want a new Kotor! They should just cancel Anthem and retool it as a new Kotor, they would have to get rid of all that online multiplayer nonsense as well though. They should cancel FIFA, Madden and the next Battlefield as well, wasted resources that could be spent on more SW games.

Also Disney can fuck off as well for giving EA exclusivity. Could y'all imagine what ND would be capabe of with the SW license? They would ditch TLOU2 in a heartbeat.

Actually fuck, every developer should cancel every game they are working on and get started on Kotor, we really don't need Mario Odyssey or Cyberpunk 2077 do we?

I would like for EA to outsorce next KOTOR-eque RPG to Obsidian.

I am sure a new Kotor from Obsidian would be well written and all I would like the next Kotor to:

A) Look halfway decent graphically
B) Have an ending
C) Not be a buggy mess

I don't trust Obsidian to deliver on all 3 of these.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I think it's fair to say that they have at least one RPG in pre-production, though if it's going to see the light of day remains to be seen.

They were knocking around ideas for a new Kotor a while back but decided not to proceed with it, according to Schreier. I won't be holding my breath

Markitron

Do they even want to develop for an IP they don't own?

Didn't stop them making a Star Wars and a Fallout game. I think they talked up making another Kotor a few years back as well.

They made South Park

They were not the driving force behind that game, all creative decisions were made by Trey Parker and Matt Stone

Markitron

It was a difficult development for them, and in the end they were not selected to make the sequel.

They weren't selected to make the sequel since, unlike the first game, TFBH started and finished development at Ubisoft. Why would Ubisoft contract a studio that had no creative input on the first game when they could just use one of their own studios instead?

For New Vegas they had tight deadlines resulting in bugs. Bethesda's metacritic shenanigans cut their bonus.

All of their games are buggy to some extent, it's not unique to New Vegas. Either way they still made a highly regarded, well-selling game. I doubt it would put them off making a SW game. Like I said earlier, they were talking it up well after NV released.

Gamezone

Gold Member
They're milking it in a respectful way so far. Battlefront, Amy Hennings game and Respawns game are a lot less then I expected so far.

Seems like they're aiming for quality over quantity.

Their first attempt didn't exactly provide us with a good game.

Renekton

They weren't selected to make the sequel since, unlike the first game, TFBH started and finished development at Ubisoft. Why would Ubisoft contract a studio that had no creative input on the first game when they could just use one of their own studios instead?
Regardless of the motivations, Obsidian got left out and it's not a happy ending for them.

All of their games are buggy to some extent, it's not unique to New Vegas. Either way they still made a highly regarded, well-selling game. I doubt it would put them off.
It was famously buggy, and the resulting metacritic putting them below Bethesda's bonus threshold.

With two of these bad experiences, plus a cancelled deal with MS that nearly broke the company, I don't know if they'd take another shot at SW even if EA asked them.

Top Bottom