• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars RPGs: What is EA/Disney waiting for?

Plasma

Banned
The Jedi Knight and Force Unleashed games have awful combat, particularly the latter with its foam bat saber. I'm not saying AC/SoM is the answer but those outdated templates are non-starters, and I'd take AC/SoM style over them in a heartbeat for a modern Star Wars action RPG.
The Jedi Knight games have the best lightsaber combat of any Star Wars games.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Regardless of the motivations, Obsidian got left out and it's not a happy ending for them.

Well you can't just disregard motivations can you? There was a clear and simple reason why they aren't doing the sequel, and there is nothing they could have done otherwise. The game was well received critically and commercially so I'd say that was a happy enough ending for them all in all.

It was famously buggy, and the resulting metacritic putting them below Bethesda's bonus threshold.

Most of their high-profile games are famously buggy, IMO NV was about par for the course for Obsidian bug-wise. The MC bonus stuff was fucking nonsense, but AFAIK it was fairly standard practice (at least back then anyway)

With two of these bad experiences, plus a cancelled deal with MS that nearly broke the company, I don't know if they'd take another shot at SW even if EA asked them.

I have zero doubt they would jump at the chance of doing another Kotor. They were still talking about it as recently as 2014, a year after EA got the license and after both South Park and New Vegas.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/07/24/obsidian-still-thinks-about-knights-of-the-old-republic-3

Aside from this they are a relatively small studio that has been on the brink a few times apparently. They are not gonna turn down a AAA RPG with the biggest license on the planet.

Agreed. There's a reason people cite it to this day as an example how to do lightsaber and melee combat in general right in video games. There's also a reason it's still being modded with a high player count online.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

Agreed. There's a reason people cite it to this day as an example how to do lightsaber and melee combat in general right in video games. There's also a reason it's still being modded with a high player count online.

Jedi Academy in particular was the GOAT, this is the bar that Respawn's lightsaber combat game should aim to clear.

The Jedi Knight and Force Unleashed games have awful combat, particularly the latter with its foam bat saber. I'm not saying AC/SoM is the answer but those outdated templates are non-starters, and I'd take AC/SoM style over them in a heartbeat for a modern Star Wars action RPG.
I'm sorry but I can't take you seriously if you think the Jedi Knight games have awful Saber combat.

And yeah the force unleashed games don't have great combat but I'd rather have their template be used then a Saber game that relies on waiting and countering.

Markitron

I'm sorry but I can't take you seriously if you think the Jedi Knight games have awful Saber combat.

And yeah the force unleashed games don't have great combat but I'd rather have their template be used then a Saber game that relies on waiting and countering.

I think the combat in general is a lot of fun in TFU, just not the lightsaber combat. The game was specifically designed around having fun using exaggerated force powers, so it's a bit unfair to single it out for lightsaber combat that was relegated to one button.

I'm hoping that the Respawn game is character action-lite, like a more restrained version of Bayonetta or DMC or something.

And yes, anyone that says that the Jedi Knight games have bad saber combat is crazy.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Things I want out of this (lately) woefully under-served IP:

Proper X-wing Vs TIE Fighter dogfighting game with a story campaign and robust online multiplayer options

Isometric Action RPG a la Diablo or Marvel Heroes that lets you play as a myriad of Star Wars archetypes

A game with great lightsaber combat, I don't care what the specific genre is (although first or third person action is the most likely)

And of course another KOTOR game wouldn't hurt.

I think the combat in general is a lot of fun in TFU, just not the lightsaber combat. The game was specifically designed around having fun using exaggerated force powers, so it's a bit unfair to single it out for lightsaber combat that was relegated to one button.

I'm hoping that the Respawn game is character action-lite, like a more restrained version of Bayonetta or DMC or something.

And yes, anyone that says that the Jedi Knight games have bad saber combat is crazy.

to be fair some saber combos used two or three buttons ;)

Markitron

to be fair some saber combos used two or three buttons ;)

C'mon now, they were saber/force combos :) IIRC the actual saber-only combos required timed gaps between pressing the saber button.

Being pedantic is fun :)

People like you are the reason western combat systems are so incredibly dumb down and focus on flashiness more than substance. Ugh

Markitron

Things I want out of this (lately) woefully under-served IP:

Proper X-wing Vs TIE Fighter dogfighting game with a story campaign and robust online multiplayer options

Would kill for this, the Battlefront VR mission was such a minge-tease

Isometric Action RPG a la Diablo or Marvel Heroes that lets you play as a myriad of Star Wars archetypes

I'd say this one may be more likely than not. EA's exclusivity doesn't cover mobile, so that may be an avenue.

A game with great lightsaber combat, I don't care what the specific genre is (although first or third person action is the most likely)

We are getting this, it's a badly kept secret that Respawn's game is lightsaber-focused. I fucking loved God of War 3 so I am quite happy that Stig is in charge.

And of course another KOTOR game wouldn't hurt.

This is the one I want most and is probably the least likely. Seems they were kicking around the idea in the last year and then shelved it. Bioware are the only EA studio with the experience to make it and they are all tied up with Anthem and Dragon Age.

As I said earlier I'd be happy if EA cancelled every single game they have in development and put all of their developers to work on a new Kotor. The new timeline is practically begging for this to be explored as well, what with all the mentions of Malachor lately.

Markitron

We will get a new KOTOR or Star Wars RPG. Sooner or later, I'm sure.

Realistically, it's gonna be a while. All of EA's major developers are working on long-term projects at the minute. This is why it was such a mistake to give them exclusivity in the first place. They are a big publisher, but with their own mega-franchises to look after, there is only so many resources they can dedicate to the SW license.

It was such laziness on Disney/Lucasfilms part, I'm sure there are plenty of developers/publishers with great ideas for SW. Wish they had done the same thing as Marvel. Insomniac/Sony are making a Spiderman game, Square/Crystal Dynamics are making an Avengers game and you have Telltale making GotG.

Spman2099

Battlefront, an incredibly sparse (and horribly balanced) package, did really well for them. Why bother making an RPG? Much smarter to just cash in on the easy stuff and make bank...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It was such laziness on Disney/Lucasfilms part, I'm sure there are plenty of developers/publishers with great ideas for SW. Wish they had done the same thing as Marvel. Insomniac/Sony are making a Spiderman game, Square/Crystal Dynamics are making an Avengers game and you have Telltale making GotG.
On this note, EA's license only covers core games, so things like LEGO or Telltale titles aren't impacted.

Marvel started their efforts in major console game licensing three years ago in 2014 - they just didn't announce it until a couple years later, unlike with Star Wars which was announced the day they started - and so far all we have is a 2017 Marvel vs. Capcom game, a 2018 Spider-Man game, and an Avengers game that isn't even being unveiled until 2018.

I'm not sure that's actually any faster than what EA is putting out. It might even be slower.

CGwizz

bioware these days got greedy, they made mass effect 3 multiplayer, with those microtransations and packs and shit ( they invented this trens , its funny ) and they hit a gold mine, they saw destiny and instead of focusing on what they do best that is rpgs they now are making that uninspired always online multiplayer game.

They have Kotor , why not make a Kotor and prove they still got it? I just hope they are doing dragon age 4 cause i dont care about that new IP of theirs.

Markitron

On this note, EA's license only covers core games, so things like LEGO or Telltale titles aren't impacted.

Marvel started their efforts in major console game licensing three years ago in 2014 - they just didn't announce it until a couple years later, unlike with Star Wars which was announced the day they started - and so far all we have is a 2017 Marvel vs. Capcom game, a 2018 Spider-Man game, and an Avengers game that isn't even being unveiled until 2018.

I'm not sure that's actually any faster than what EA is putting out. It might even be slower.

My point is that it's technically possible for any developer to work on a Marvel game (to the best of my knowledge), this is what I want for Star Wars. There are many developers with the pedigree to make a Kotor game, with EA there is really only one, and they are busy for the next several years. Also as far as quantity goes, at least it's possible for that to accelerate with the Marvel games, EA are already at capacity with Star Wars.

Bottom of line: Don't expect a SW RPG until the EA deal is over, which is on 2021 IIRC

Exactly

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Bottom of line: Don't expect a SW RPG until the EA deal is over, which is on 2021 IIRC

This is assuming they don't re-up the deal.

My point is that it's technically possible for any developer to work on a Marvel game, this is what I want for Star Wars. There are many developers with the pedigree to make a Kotor game, with EA there is really only one, and they are busy for the next several years. Also as far as quantity goes, at least it's possible for that to accelerate with the Marvel games, EA are already at capacity with Star Wars.
I think they decided that they would actually get less games without this deal. Like, no one was signing Obsidian to make a Star Wars game (or anything but Russian f2p tank games) even before EA got this license.

If they had actually gotten a lot of good pitches when they shopped the IP around, they would have just licensed out to everyone. Apparently they didn't have success on that front.

Markitron

If they had actually gotten a lot of good pitches when they shopped the IP around, they would have just licensed out to everyone. Apparently they didn't have success on that front.

Do you have a source for this by any chance? Considering it's Star Wars were talking about here, that seems mental. You would figure DICE/EA would have bitten their hand off for just the Battlefront license.

I just hope they are doing dragon age 4 cause i dont care about that new IP of theirs.

They are making another Dragon Age.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Do you have a source for this by any chance? Considering it's Star Wars were talking about here, that seems mental. You would figure DICE alone would have bit their hand off for just the Battlefront license.

Disney basically said as much: http://www.starwars.com/news/electr...-agreement-for-the-future-of-star-wars-gaming

”Our number one objective was to find a developer who could consistently deliver our fans great Star Wars games for years to come," said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. ”When we looked at the talent of the teams that EA was committing to our games and the quality of their vision for Star Wars, the choice was clear."
”This agreement demonstrates our commitment to creating quality game experiences that drive the popularity of the Star Wars franchise for years to come," said John Pleasants, co-president of Disney Interactive. ”Collaborating with one of the world's premier game developers will allow us to bring an amazing portfolio of new Star Wars titles to fans around the world."

The appeal was such that EA even assumed DICE wasn't going to be interested in working on the license: https://www.polygon.com/2013/6/24/4459498/ea-almost-didnt-put-dice-on-star-wars-battlefront

Söderlund also said EA assumed DICE wouldn't have wanted to work on a licensed title, since the games they've made have "always been new IP or their own IP.

"But they were just like, 'We would kill to make this game,' and the whole studio started talking about it like, 'Please give us this game.'" At that point, Söderlund called EA Labels president Frank Gibeau and told him that EA had to figure out a way to put DICE on Battlefront.

"[DICE] begged to do it, the opportunity was there and that's exactly why you'll see a game that will be what it needs to be," said Söderlund.

Part of what made sense for EA though is that they have a lot of issues launching new IP, but they're very comfortable working with licenses due to their history, so this helped with that.

A lot of publishers would rather just put out Overwatch and Destiny than two Star Wars themed games where they have to give a bunch of money to Disney.

Similarly, you will note that we ended up with Marvel games once properties like Tomb Raider and Deus Ex started tanking. Insomniac also didn't have a great track record recently given the limited success of titles like FUSE and Sunset Overdrive, along with Resistance basically failing over time. Spider-Man though? Much bigger chance of success.

Markitron

OK thanks for the link, I don't think this really supports what you were saying earlier though. Seems like standard press release rhetoric to me. Those very nice things they are saying about EA are true for many publishers. Ubisoft have a decent track record at launching new IP's too for example. I really don't see anything there that suggests that other developers/publishers had no ideas for the Star Wars franchise.

EA offered them the best upfront deal, with minimal effort on their part. I still think it was a lazy move. There is no reason that they couldn't have opened up the license to everybody and let EA make some games. To return to my original point: there is no chance of a new Star Wars RPG for the considerable future with this deal, and that's a crying shame.

TreIII

The fact that Stig Asmussen is on the Respawn project, too, makes me think we probably will get something somewhere between the God of War and DMC/Bayonetta spectrum.

Again, one of the biggest reasons I can't wait for that title in particular.

Markitron

The fact that Stig Asmussen is on the Respawn project, too, makes me think we probably will get something somewhere between the God of War and DMC/Bayonetta spectrum.

Again, one of the biggest reasons I can't wait for that title in particular.

As I said earlier, it's more or less confirmed that it's a lightsaber action game, so this is what I am expecting as well.

Fuck, even Jedi Power Battles 2 would go down nicely :)

Caffeine

they didnt sign the deal till 2013, disney acquired star wars in 2012
swtor came out in 2011 before this deal.

I think it lasts until end of 2023 and they will probably re-up. especially if they have games in development around that time and dont want them to be rushed.

Top Bottom