• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic [Releasing Date: Dec 20 NA/EU - NDA Lifted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

golem

I had a crazy amount of fun with the Black Talon Flashpoint as a sorcerer. Going through the story together with four game strangers was surprisingly amusing.

I'm also slowly getting used to the morality system. It's Mass Effect style where the end is the same and all that really changes is the means. So whereas in ME either you were a hardass or a diplomat when playing Sith being pragmatic earns you Light side points. You need to be psychotic to get Dark Side. I mean at the end of the Black Talon you capture a Republic admiral and I was the only one of the four to decide to capture the dude for later torture/interrogation/life in political gulag and won the conversation roll. Everybody else was like WTF Y U NO KILL? and I was like "I was just being sensible :("

I did come across a mission where I am curious how your end choice affects later story lines in the Sith Warrior missions around level 15
Where you are tasked with infiltrating a bunch of Sith that now call themselves Revanites and they follow the teachings of Revan, at the end you can choose to call another their leader or to rat them out. Wonder how or if it changes the story in any way. I do wonder if what they think happened to Revan is true or not

Azih

I did come across a mission where I am curious how your end choice affects later story lines in the Sith Warrior missions around level 15
Where you are tasked with infiltrating a bunch of Sith that now call themselves Revanites and they follow the teachings of Revan, at the end you can choose to call another their leader or to rat them out. Wonder how or if it changes the story in any way. I do wonder if what they think happened to Revan is true or not

I will admit I geeked out at that part. I would pay 60 dollars for an offline version of the game to go through the story.

oktarb

Beta Weekend Impressions - umm yay?!

Well like many I played the weekend for quite a good bit and tried several classes and was left with this overall impression.

SWTOR is an standard vanilla MMO cake with KOTOR3 icing on top.

Ripped straight out of the rotting carcass's of games like WoW, KOTOR and Mass Effect we have a slightly new beast to play. They built on a tried and true, if not aging, MMO model. They then toss on some idea's, much like throwing a dart with a blind fold on. Will hey stick?
I loved the starting stories and hope they keep up that intensity throughout the coming levels. Even with the side missions that don't fit exactly I still always felt like I was part of something. Even if I had to remind myself that i was not a special snowflake even though my Master repeatedly told me I was. I got a good taste between the Light Side and Dark side choices and was glad to see they didn't pull any punches. If you disagree I select [Shock] Quiet Slave!.

I was initially was filled with glee upon sending my companion on a mission. Could they have stolen the assassins idea from Assassins Creed?! Joy. Wait she's back and she has a rotting cog. Hmm. Will this just turn into a repetitive mini game? I'm not sure but it's surely what I dread. The graphics are passable. There are moments where every thing jives and you feel right at home. I forgive a great deal in graphics for new MMOs and Beta's especially.

To quote a frequent survey question "Would I recommend this game to a friend?":
Yes, if they love Star Wars and want to play a new MMO in that genre. No if they are looking for a revolutionary change in MMO gaming.

The events in the intro cutscenes all take place decades before the game. In-game, Satele is the Grand Master of the Jedi Council. In the Return cinematic where her master is killed, she was still a Padawan. In the Hope cinematic, she's a Knight.

The game starts out in 3643 BBY. The Sith first returned in 3681 BBY. That makes Satele 38 years older than she was in the intro cutscene. Of course she won't look like a spring chicken anymore, but I think she still looks pretty great.
She even has a son.
. See http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Satele_Shan.

Well, damn. I totally missed that part. I guess I need to pay more attention. That explains it.

J-Rzez

Alright, so this game is nothing groundbreaking. They have however mimicked WoW the best to date, and that's going to get people to notice. There are people who liked WoW, but was fed up with how blizzard didn't care about their players one bit and left, as well as those burnt out on that "fantasy setting" in which this game is at least fresh in a sense for a MMO. It's done really well, and I think a lot of people are going to be surprised how good it plays. RIFT was probably 95% of the best elements of WoW, and this is probably the closest to a full mirror to date. IF Bioware can copy RIFT and supply fast and almost endless supply of fresh content, it will lock players into this game.

There are a couple nitpicks I have with the game though:
- Visuals are a bummer. Some of WoW's armor textures for example are better looking.
- Animations are a notch below WoW overall as well imho.
- Crafting is the most annoying thing in this game. Yeah, it's great that you can send companions off to do things, but especially early on when you only have one, when you're crafting something and it takes 1 minute plus to make one stupid item, it's annoying as shit. Speed up crafting times, I say nothing should take longer than 25sec to craft, and it'll be golden that you can have your companions crafting away while you're in a flashpoint or bg.

Will US players be able to roll on European servers and vice versa? PVE = snooze
Yes. There is no server region locking here. Everyone can play with each other.

Got my Trooper up to 21 right now and made it to Taris. It's pretty cool seeing what it looks like now after the bombardment. Also these group quests are pretty challenging but I like that. It does make me wonder if they're going to give them a slight nerf before launch though.

Do you run faster with your weapons drawn or does it just look like you're running faster?

A lot of people compare this to WoW, but I think it is also a lot like Dragon Age and KOTOR. The way the combat flows reminds me more of Dragon Age than WoW.

LowParry

Yes. There is no server region locking here. Everyone can play with each other.

Got my Trooper up to 21 right now and made it to Taris. It's pretty cool seeing what it looks like now after the bombardment. Also these group quests are pretty challenging but I like that. It does make me wonder if they're going to give them a slight nerf before launch though.

They better not. People need to learn to play.

Alright, so this game is nothing groundbreaking. They have however mimicked WoW the best to date, and that's going to get people to notice. There are people who liked WoW, but was fed up with how blizzard didn't care about their players one bit and left, as well as those burnt out on that "fantasy setting" in which this game is at least fresh in a sense for a MMO. It's done really well, and I think a lot of people are going to be surprised how good it plays. RIFT was probably 95% of the best elements of WoW, and this is probably the closest to a full mirror to date. IF Bioware can copy RIFT and supply fast and almost endless supply of fresh content, it will lock players into this game.

There are a couple nitpicks I have with the game though:
- Visuals are a bummer. Some of WoW's armor textures for example are better looking.
- Animations are a notch below WoW overall as well imho.
- Crafting is the most annoying thing in this game. Yeah, it's great that you can send companions off to do things, but especially early on when you only have one, when you're crafting something and it takes 1 minute plus to make one stupid item, it's annoying as shit. Speed up crafting times, I say nothing should take longer than 25sec to craft, and it'll be golden that you can have your companions crafting away while you're in a flashpoint or bg.

Your not going to do as much grinding with crafting as with WoW, also it's best to just do your crafting when you log off. Assign it to your crew and let them go. 1 min of time really is nothing though.

LowParry

Crafting really isn't as bad. In fact, I kept it at a good pace with my leveling. I think had Armstech, Scavenging and whatever that was that lets you slice things, all close to about 150 or so in skill. It providing good mods and weapons if needed for me and my companion.

The other great thing about leveling it up is the option to use them in Flashpoints. I think it was Hammer Station? It was either run and kill through mobs or hack into the drill system and take you right to the first boss. I thought that was a really neat touch.

Giolon

By Tier 4, crafting and missions already can take up to 25 minutes. There's a reason that your crew does the crafting. You send the companions you're not using to do crafting and missions while you're actively doing other stuff, or send them to do it right before you log off. Once you've got a couple companions, it's not a big deal.

You kids should've been around for SWG where you'd put your crafting schematics in a factory and come back 2 days later to get it.

By Tier 4, crafting and missions already can take up to 25 minutes. There's a reason that your crew does the crafting. You send the companions you're not using to do crafting and missions while you're actively doing other stuff, or send them to do it right before you log off. Once you've got a couple companions, it's not a big deal.

You kids should've been around for SWG where you'd put your crafting schematics in a factory and come back 2 days later to get it.

Or EVE crafting :D

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR

lol damn

J-Rzez

Your not going to do as much grinding with crafting as with WoW, also it's best to just do your crafting when you log off. Assign it to your crew and let them go. 1 min of time really is nothing though.

Hmm, wasn't aware you can craft while logging off. Does it have a queue restriction, and can you see your queue? I know I did it once and it went up to 6mins of jobs, but iirc, it wouldn't go further than that.

Or EVE crafting :D

Yeah... really, if EVE had a much better combat system, I'd stuck around. I loved the sandbox nature of that game but it felt like I was about to do my taxes every time I logged in.

I've leveled up my trooper/commando a bit and did some group questing... and a few flashpoints. Much more enjoyable experience not only playing with other people but also playing my role (tank/healer). But that goes without saying... at the very least, I find myself liking more as I played rather than forcing myself to like it (a la EVE online) for specific reasons. I could see myself picking this up sometime next year, especially since there isn't any other MMO on the market I'm really in -- Well there is The Secret World but we'll see.

Edit: Stopped using my companion outside of crafting etc., made soloing a bit too viable. Not really a complaint...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Sent my application to GAF US East Republic. Sorry, NeoGaf Europe, but there's no way I'll play on an Europe server from here, the lag would literally come and kill me.

CoilShot

I was there and it was crazy. I remember having a macro so I could level up my crafting skills faster.

Ferny

I will have to switch to the GAF Empire guild...as I want to roll Sith?

Please accept my invitation, name will be Ramuk

I won't accept anything from a dirty SITH!

Done :)

Oh and the limit is 20000 posts. It's a little weird though in our situation since we're so close to release.

I won't accept anything from a dirty SITH!

Done :)

Oh and the limit is 20000 posts. It's a little weird though in our situation since we're so close to release.

But I am no dirty Sith, I am going to be a good Sith!

Also, I am sure EvilLore will either allow us to continue this OT or create the final release OT since we are so close.

Ferny

That was a test and you failed. We will not allow any "good" sith in this Empire. Czar is the only exception and that is only because I want to make him my wookie plaything.

I've tested the living jebus out of this game over the last 4 days. It hooked me, but by the end I came to the realization that despite not wanting to believe it.. TOR is not that community building server-destroying experience I hoped it would be.

The story is great(imperial agent:eek: ), the combat was fluid, pvp worked fine, and I had no problems with interface or the graphics. Flashpoints were really fun to see(the first couple of times!)

But it was more of the same. the game is anti-social. my immersion is breaking with other people are near me. they look like me, feel like me, and play like me. the world is static beyond fuck. it's not just the lack of day/night cycle. the npcs are dead. the wild life creatures are standing around in idle animations doing frack. the planets consists of long narrow areas. exploration in mountains are limited, there is no climbing, swimming or fun exploration of the world. the datacrons are cool, but I seem unable to care. I dig the story, but in the end, it's the same.

I see myself as a lvl 50 getting nerd rage of being unable to find a group, while my character wields one of a couple of epic gear sets that everyone of my class uses. I'm already sick of my lightsaber and cant imagine having to use the same with different colors and hilts and mods forever. I don't understand the restrictions on weapons. I don't see why a Jedi sage healer cant use a different combat art(like double-bladed sabers) - no they just decided to cover their lack of differentiation with silly restrictions.

TOR though is the best MMORPG labeled game in half a decade. It's really great. If you can stomach more quest based MMOs akin to WoW, you will love it. Lots of good things.

But for those of us who hate what these quest based games bring to the table, it's not the solution. TOR will be a big succes, and let it be. It's different enough, but it does not fix the problems of these games.

I loved you so much SWG, you have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom