• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic [Releasing Date: Dec 20 NA/EU - NDA Lifted]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any good videos of Sith Inquistors and Jedi Sages?

Want to compare both and see which one I will roll at launch.

Apparently the 2nd will be the last day Guilds can accept members pre-launch. After that, you'll have to join from the within the game after launch. As such, this is your last chance to join the GAF guilds before Early Access.

PVE East Coast Republic

PVE East Coast Empire

PVP Europe Republic

PVP Europe Empire

Is there no PvP guild for the US?

markatisu

Man tonight has stunk, been running smooth and sweet all weekend. Since about 6pm the server I was on (Nigut Road) has booted me 3 times and the game has crashed or froze twice.

I know they wanted to stress test customer service tonight but this is ridiculous lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
God, why does it have to be maintenance when I want to play :(

I'm in for the launch but I have serious doubts this game will be able to hold my interest beyond that. As another poster said they have played it way too safe and it is too similar to WoW. Its great at first because everything feels so familiar that there isn't much of a transition phase, but I think for that very reason you may see people tire of this game much sooner than they did with WoW.

I hope Bioware prove me wrong.

So this ends tonight?

I got up to level 15 so far, really enjoyed it.

Would be nice if they just left the servers up for messing around/ further bug reporting, wishful thinking I guess.

Measley

I'm in for the launch but I have serious doubts this game will be able to hold my interest beyond that. As another poster said they have played it way too safe and it is too similar to WoW. Its great at first because everything feels so familiar that there isn't much of a transition phase, but I think for that very reason you may see people tire of this game much sooner than they did with WoW.

I hope Bioware prove me wrong.

SWTOR's success rests completely on the MMORPG audience being open to a MMO with a strong single player RPG component. If the game is going to develop a good community, it needs to have more community-based content. Like games in catinas, pod-racing that you can bet on, or incentives to go off the beaten path and explore the world.

Trouble

Banned
SWTOR's success rests completely on the MMORPG audience being open to a MMO with a strong single player RPG component. If the game is going to develop a good community, it needs to have more community-based content. Like games in catinas, pod-racing that you can bet on, or incentives to go off the beaten path and explore the world.

Holocrons are a nice incentive to explore and give a permanent +1 bump to a stat. I found a few through dumb luck and poking around.

EekTheKat

In all my time between MMO's the Jedi Consular/Sage has been the most fun "healer" I've ever played.

I think that's in part to not feeling defenseless, as the game provides you with a fairly large set of tools outside of just "heals" that were actually useful and effective. That and the lore behind it makes what you're able to do feel so much more powerful.

The first flashpoint actually felt fun, for something that's supposed to be so basic. Instead of just throwing a ton of trash in a big room and expect you to clear it there seems to be a progression/flow to the flashpoint that's story driven which leads you along.

What may have actually sold me on the game finally is that I found a way to configure the default UI to be very compatible with my WoW setup. Hotkeys are all properly bound and I can actually move quite a lot while still using a good set of insta cast abilities.

Somnia

I am now torn on if I want to play Sith Jugg or IA Sniper. I LOVE my sniper in beta so far and I'm convinced IA will still be the lowest played class despite all the love its getting on the boards. However I also really like the jugg and kind of want to tank...ugh

What may have actually sold me on the game finally is that I found a way to configure the default UI to be very compatible with my WoW setup. Hotkeys are all properly bound and I can actually move quite a lot while still using a good set of insta cast abilities.

And what is that way? The games doesn't seem to recognize the 3 buttons by the mouse wheel on my Logitech Mx518, so I've been using some weird keybinds. I have every spell keybound in WoW. I can't be a clicker. I just can't play like that. I need to be able to do my moves without looking at where my mouse pointer is.

So how much time is left on this? Is it already over? I fell asleep on my couch last night without playing more than 10 minutes.

I managed to blast through the class quests on the weekend to get my ship.

I do gotta agree with Walrus that parts of it just feel uninspired. For me it just feels like an online version of KOTOR although I really don't feel like there is anything worthwhile added to the game as far as online aspects are concerned. I kind of went in expecting this but I was hoping there would be some surprises.

As he also said its not like it is a bad game, it is just a little bland.
Maybe I need to try some of the PvP to see if that changes my opinion.

Is the space combat only limited to the On-rails shootings segments? I only got a chance to try out one of them.

EekTheKat

And what is that way? The games doesn't seem to recognize the 3 buttons by the mouse wheel on my Logitech Mx518, so I've been using some weird keybinds. I have every spell keybound in WoW. I can't be a clicker. I just can't play like that. I need to be able to do my moves without looking at where my mouse pointer is.

I have one of those MMO mice, with the number pad basically mapped out on the mouse, and all the numbers are accesible with my thumb.

It's worked out extremely well for WoW, and it seems to work nicely for key bindings here too.

The key binding behaviors seem to mirror WoW, in that it recognizes Numpad 1,Shift + Numpad 1, Cntrl + Numpad 1 as 3 different keys. Allowing me to pretty much map 36 abilities at a touch with control/shift modifiers.

EekTheKat

I'm running at 2560x1440 without AA, 8xAF (via client_settings.ini tweaks).

This might be pure placebo, but I think the game looked better to me once I bumped up the number of lights from 2 to 4 in the client_settings.ini and upped the AF.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
wat... so the beta goes down today? And I still haven't been able to play it... it says:

"Extended maintenance" and I can't click on "Play"

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Straight up torn between the Sentinel and Shadow for my first char. I leveled both to about 13-14 during the beta. I like the double bladed saber a lot with the shadow, and he felt more "Jedi" to me cause of all the force incorporation... but the Sentinel had just straight up ass kicking firepower. I'm thinking Shadow might have an edge in pvp cause of the stealth though... thoughts?

Love this game though.

Yoshichan

Anyone? :(

mfVzk.png

Well SWTOR, guess Ill be seeing you in a few weeks. HYPED.

My only regret was playing the class I want to play in retail, in the beta. Redoing 30 levels of fun is going to be a blast.

Sigfodr

Got my ship, did a little space battle and Hutt Ball before it ended. I really like the Chiss, but I have to play Republic at launch. Oh well.

MaddenNFL64

It just ended, me and my friend were flying to get to the final trooper & smug origin finales lol. Almost made it.

Great fucking game, and everyone should team up with a friend as much as possible. Damn the game was awesome.

It just ended, me and my friend were flying to get to the final trooper & smug origin finales lol. Almost made it.

Great fucking game, and everyone should team up with a friend as much as possible. Damn the game was awesome.

Hell yes, the game was 100x more enjoyable when playing with my brother. And smuggler is amazing.

Sigfodr

Found my screenshots on my hard drive. All black. It was a beta and I didn't use any software though, so I'm not surprised. Just, disappointed.

Emitan

Did anyone play a Scoundrel for any length of time? I've only played one to level 15 and didn't like it too much. I much preferred the stealth of the Assassin.

MaddenNFL64

Did anyone play a Scoundrel for any length of time? I've only played one to level 15 and didn't like it too much. I much preferred the stealth of the Assassin.

I played it to level 10, and I had a ball. I just depleted my energy as fast as I could and nuked stuff. I want to go gunslinger & drop crazy damage from 35 meters out.

edit: super fail, scoundrel :p. sorry about that.

Giolon

So excited to try out the launch build! I just hope they can fix my character that's bugged, otherwise I'm not going to be able to properly test out the high level content.

MaddenNFL64

So excited to try out the launch build! I just hope they can fix my character that's bugged, otherwise I'm not going to be able to properly test out the high level content.

Wont they give you guys premade 50's?

I just hope I can make a character with chin cybernetics that don't clip through the mouth during cutscenes.

I had the right eyeball plus clutter cyborg. badass look.

Well it was fun. I'm impressed how far along the game has come, and that Bioware actually listened to the community it seems (combat feels much better). Dark Smuggler is my choice.

You mean "wheres my money?" and "I like money" guy is your choice lol. Or is that more douche, than evil?

J-Rzez

Well it was fun. I'm impressed how far along the game has come, and that Bioware actually listened to the community it seems (combat feels much better). Dark Smuggler is my choice.

Can't wait for launch, played pretty much every class except Bounty Hunter as I didn't want to spoil any of the story for launch.

I liked pretty much all the classes/advanced classes I played, gonna end up with a bunch of characters.

Lilsnubby

The way they have the companion system tuned a team of two can get through most content with only occasional grouping. Love the way you can gear up your companions, although there is going to be some serious companion gear ninjas. The excellent VA and solid WoW-style combat were highlights for me. Best Stars Wars experience I've had since...well Kotor II. I guess it helps that I stopped playing Wow at BC so I didn't get too burnt out even though I loved it. I can seriously see myself playing all the classes as I am something of an alt-addict.

Giolon

Wont they give you guys premade 50's?
Ha ha, I doubt it. Every time Bioware has tried to dole out high-level premades it's been a royal clusterfuck. They had said they were going to do them this build but they never materialized.

My Jedi Consular Sage from these last two builds is Level 45, but as mentioned a couple pages ago got her companions bugged out so she can neither craft or switch from the one she currently has active.

So, do we have an official word on continuing this thread till its time for OT in a week or so?

And since Blackface is banned, who will be making OT?

I can if needed

Emitan

I'm claiming the OT for now unless that person who claimed it months ago wants it. I can't remember who it was and search is down.

Kinan

Tell what you want, but this weekend test has solidified my purchase decision. Finally having a meaningful story in a MMO feels so good. I deffo seing myself at least playing through all class stories, which with my casual play style will take at least couple of monthes.

It also helps that i made ~3 Years break from MMOs, and never was really much into wow, so the mechanics doesnt feel boring to me.

Bring it on!

Ha ha, I doubt it. Every time Bioware has tried to dole out high-level premades it's been a royal clusterfuck. They had said they were going to do them this build but they never materialized.

My Jedi Consular Sage from these last two builds is Level 45, but as mentioned a couple pages ago got her companions bugged out so she can neither craft or switch from the one she currently has active.
There's a high-level character server already up. It's Uphrades in the server selection. People are having problems with it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom