• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: X-Wing and Star Wars: Tie Fighter |OT| ...in a GoG galaxy far, far away...

Great news! Pretty pumped about the upgrade to TIE Fighter. Best version by far.

...might double dip with the bundle on Steam because this is the one thing I'm most obsessive about, but we'll see if my willpower can keep me in check.

Damn just another cash grab! I played these games (and finished) them when they originally came out and was hoping for some updated version or atleast anything to differentiate it from the 20+ year games that they are.

Disappointed.

It seems X-Wing, TIE Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, and X-Wing Vs TIE Fighter all released on Steam today as well! Looks like the X-Wing and TIE FIghter are the Special Edition versions, not the Collector's Editions that were just added to GoG.

Okay, walk me through this: On GOG - there isn't a listing for the Collector's Editions, just the Special Editions. So I'm taking that to mean if I download the Special Editions, the upgrade to the Collector's Editions will show up later. (if I'm not already downloading them just under the wrong name)

However, on Steam, the versions listed are also the special editions - but those really *are* just the Special Editions, and there is no Collector's edition upgrade coming soon, due to GOG's exclusive deal to offer the collector's editions.

Do I have that right?

edit: Looks like I do - the download came up as Collector's Edition, even if the graphic said Special Edition. All good.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This Steam Star Wars sale is also the first time the Lego Star Wars games have been on sale in over two years.

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I think I'm gonna get Alliance, & the updated versions of TIE Fighter & X-Wing.

Thanks!

Buying all four games costs the same as buying those three, at least on Steam.

Buying all four games costs the same as buying those three, at least on Steam.

I don't really like X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, though. And the bundle at GOG seems to only offer the bigger discounts if you get 7 games, not four. Unless I missed a separate bundle for just X-Wing, TIE, XvT, & Alliance. But since I don't really like XvT, I don't mind not buying a game I don't want. Steam doesn't have the Collector's Edition versions of X-Wing & TIE, either.

edit: oh jeez, the sounds. I haven't heard these in forever.

WHAT IS YOUR NAME PILOT

However, on Steam, the versions listed are also the special editions - but those really *are* just the Special Editions, and there is no Collector's edition upgrade coming soon, due to GOG's exclusive deal to offer the collector's editions.

How long is the exclusivity? Permanent?

How long is the exclusivity? Permanent?

I dunno. If I had to guess, I'd say either a) for as long as it was from the games showing up on GOG to the day they showed up on Steam or b) until May the 4th.

But those would be guesses. I figure we won't know until they show up on Steam, because sticking an expiration date on the exclusive deal makes it easier to wait out that exclusivity period.

WillyFive

Damn just another cash grab! I played these games (and finished) them when they originally came out and was hoping for some updated version or atleast anything to differentiate it from the 20+ year games that they are.

Disappointed.

There is a difference though....

...they actually run on modern computers.

VodevilX

Banned
How do you play these? Do you need a joystick? And if so, are todays sticks or even an x360 controller compatible with these prettyyyy old games?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Some of the only PC games I've ever played. Legitimately makes me wish I owned a computer. I'll definitely pick them up off of GoG once I do.

Best space combat in the franchise, hands down.

There is a difference though....

...they actually run on modern computers.

I'm glad people get to experience these games again (or for the first time) but i'm just dying for a good dogfighting game in space. I also want something with a bit of lore and X-Wing and Tie-Fighter are perfect for that. Don't know why they don't create a new version of these games (prolly cuz Lucasarts don't exist anymore), but would love it if another company picked up the license.

The last time I played a good dogfighting game was Crimson Skies on the original Xbox (yes it's been that long). No Man's Sky is the only other game I can see which might satiate that craving.

mclem

You were expecting that from GoG?

Can anyone enlighten me on how to run the upgraded versions of Tie Fighter and X-Wing? Are they just built into the Windows version? I still only see the '94 and '98 version as I did before.

epmode

You should see three versions of each game in your GOG library. The Steam release doesn't have the Collector's CD version of either game. Unsure if it's a timed or permanent exclusive for GOG.

You should see three versions of each game in your GOG library. The Steam release doesn't have the Collector's CD version of either game. Unsure if it's a timed or permanent exclusive for GOG.

Weird. I only see two. I'll wait a little bit and then open up a ticket if need be. No rush.

Edit: Nevermind, solved it. Just need to do a quick refresh. If anyone else is having a similar issue then click this link and it should fix it.

Mikeside

So I'm trying to play this using my X-52 Pro and I'm getting stuck using the throttle.

Is there any way I can map it to properly use the throttle?

Top Bottom