• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft II Story Discussion Thread (spoilers)

farnham

Banned
BananaBomb said:
The completely unceremonious way they killed Tychus was strange. Did Tychus want Jim to kill him, taking his sweet time painting a target on Kerrigan's forehead? What the fuck was the point of Tychus, anyway? Was it to give the final cinematic a cute little pointless twist?
tychus showed another side of raynors character

the raynor we knew through starcraft 1 was a righteous man. the raynor that we knew through tychus is a criminal.

Atomic said:
So generally, The overmind created kerrigan to gain eventual free will.
Kerrigan turning more human at the end of this campaign was destined and is part of this end goal.

Her story will be about regaining her power over the swarm, perhaps with evil intentions at first?
the most interesting question is

if kerrigan will be in custody under the dominion or if she will be free to go with raynor

Valerians deal was to help raynor recue kerrigan so letting her go would be a part of the deal. but then again kerrigan is an enemy to all the terrans and the dominion will probably want her for their moral boost (morals are pretty low because of the whole mengsk afair)

WYWY said:
Story and characters are very cliche, embarrassingly so actually. Bald-muscular-space-marines stereotypical personalities and story telling - except these guys have more hair.

Trilogy-wise this will likely follow Starwars Ep 4-6. This is 'A New Hope', followed by 'The Zerg strikes back' and ending with 'Return of the Protoss'.
hardly the zerg are most likely not the main villains in starcraft 2

in wings of liberty they were but they will probably team up with the protoss to stand against the xel naga

Theoris

Neo Member
Just completed it - burning question but I'm probably wrong: Why did Raynor seamingly ignore the protoss warning of taking Kerrigan out (well, she is sort of out now.. or so we think) leading to the end of the universe? Didn't that whole side-campaign allude to the point that Kerrigan, leader of the Zerg, will save us all?

Or maybe I'm mistaken?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Theoris said:
Just completed it - burning question but I'm probably wrong: Why did Raynor seamingly ignore the protoss warning of taking Kerrigan out (well, she is sort of out now.. or so we think) leading to the end of the universe? Didn't that whole side-campaign allude to the point that Kerrigan, leader of the Zerg, will save us all?

Or maybe I'm mistaken?

My guess is that we will have to wait until 2012 to get an answer IF Kerrigan still has control over the zergs in her human form. Or maybe a trailer at Blizzcon 2011 if we're lucky.

Theoris

Neo Member
Bisnic said:
My guess is that we will have to wait until 2012 to get an answer IF Kerrigan still has control over the zergs in her human form. Or maybe a trailer at Blizzcon 2011 if we're lucky.

True, but why would he even risk it? Oh don't tell me.. it's love. That would be a stretch for even the most soppiest of Doctor Who episodes. :lol

Theoris said:

Or maybe I'm mistaken?
Raynor made a plot assumption that Kerrigan saving us all involved him repeatedly killing her and using unknowable voodoo magic to remove her powers.

What's even worse is how he explains nothing about this to Tychus but blathers on and on to Matt.

calder

I think the plot suffered a bit in my playthrough because I had to do all side missions always before the main missions, so I had broadcast Mengsk's betrayal on Tarsonis and then spoken to the son (who didn't mention anything about it at all) and stuff like that.

I played the protoss missions early, so it made it a bit odd that Jimmy wasn't mentioning it much to others when talking about returning to Char. It would have made more sense from a story standpoint if I'd done the Zeratul missions last, but really from the beginning Jimmy did not seem like he was going to kill Kerrigan once he had an option to turn her back human with the relic. And you could simply take his not mentioning it as simple expediency, obviously Valarian and the Dominion guys, not to mention most of his crew, would have had nothing to do with sparing Sarah if he said that was his plan from the start.

And DAMN did I think the hybrid that killed the universe in Zeratuls vision of the future was Raynor. :lol I kept waiting for him to pull an Arthas and get snatched or do something to become infested and for Kerrigan to regain her humanity. Not unhappy to be wrong at all, and hell that could still be coming.

King Boo

I was hoping to be the first to tell you guys about Dr. Narud but someone beat me to it.

Anyway I thought the story was alright. I wish there were a couple of more missions to learn more about some of these new characters and their interactions with each other. I think around 40-45 missions would have done the job in telling the story better. but then again I don't know if blizzard can make each mission more unique...some would have to be "filler."

Tacitus_

Random thought:
The Mengsk behind the Dominion hybrid research could as well be Valerian since he's the owner of the Moebius foundation and is heavily interested in archeology.

Lime

The whole plot fell flat in the end. You had all these characters (Kerrigan, Raynor, Zeratul, Valerian, Arcturus, Tychus, Horner, etc.), but some of them didn't seem to have a purpose. For 25 missions, it's basically "dethrone Arcturus" and "kill/save Kerrigan". The former isn't resolved at all (we will have to wait 4 years for that) and the latter is just briefly touched upon with a single "Jim.." from Kerrigan. I had hoped there would be new motivations or purposes throughout the campaign, like in SC1, but unfortunately, this game reminds me a lot of Mass Effect 2, where you basically encounter your primary enemy in the beginning and for the next 20-30 hours do stuff until you finally kill this primary enemy.

Tassadar reappearing felt wrong, like the usual fan service.

The introduction of Valerian or whatever his name was, was too forced and sudden. No doubt he will have a bigger role in the coming games.

And the whole Tychus thing was so useless. The intro to the game reveals he is a double
agent and throughout the entire game all of the characters alluded to Tychus betraying you at some point. Was it supposed to be a twist of some sort? And if not, the plot point is basically resolved in 10 seconds.

The hybrid wasn't very impressive. They should have allocated some of that pre-rendered CGI for the introduction of the creature, to invoke more awe and despair.

But the above are only my gripes with the plot. I am impressed by the presentation and some of the characters. It was great to revisit those now twelve-years old characters from the first one in glorious graphics. I can't wait to put the entire trilogy into perspective when we have experienced and played through all three.

farnham

Banned
Bisnic said:
something tells me that we will see the expansion in 2011 and the next in 2012 (who am i kidding probably not)

farnham

Banned
Lime said:
The whole plot fell flat in the end. You had all these characters (Kerrigan, Raynor, Zeratul, Valerian, Arcturus, Tychus, Horner, etc.), but some of them didn't seem to have a purpose. For 25 missions, it's basically "dethrone Arcturus" and "kill/save Kerrigan". The former isn't resolved at all (we will have to wait 4 years for that) and the latter is just briefly touched upon with a single "Jim.." from Kerrigan. I had hoped there would be new motivations or purposes throughout the campaign, like in SC1, but unfortunately, this game reminds me a lot of Mass Effect 2, where you basically encounter your primary enemy in the beginning and for the next 20-30 hours do stuff until you finally kill this primary enemy.

Tassadar reappearing felt wrong, like the usual fan service.

The introduction of Valerian or whatever his name was, was too forced and sudden. No doubt he will have a bigger role in the coming games.

And the whole Tychus thing was so useless. The intro to the game reveals he is a double
agent and throughout the entire game all of the characters alluded to Tychus betraying you at some point. Was it supposed to be a twist of some sort? And if not, the plot point is basically resolved in 10 seconds.

The hybrid wasn't very impressive. They should have allocated some of that pre-rendered CGI for the introduction of the creature, to invoke more awe and despair.

But the above are only my gripes with the plot. I am impressed by the presentation and some of the characters. It was great to revisit those now twelve-years old characters from the first one in glorious graphics. I can't wait to put the entire trilogy into perspective when we have experienced and played through all three.
the twist was that tychus didnt want to kill raynor but kerrigan.

which means that arturus mengsk knew about no directed the xel naga artifact endevour all along and was playing dumb in the hologramm scene. he was the one who planned to assassinate kerrigan through raynor and tychus with the xelnaga artifact and Duran (Dr. Narud) helped him with this.

Tacitus_ said:
Random thought:
The Mengsk behind the Dominion hybrid research could as well be Valerian since he's the owner of the Moebius foundation and is heavily interested in archeology.
the last scene with tychus getting direct orders from mengsk pretty much confirms that valerian was a pawn for mengsk and durans schemes

Lime

farnham said:
the twist was that tychus didnt want to kill raynor but kerrigan.

which means that arturus mengsk knew about no directed the xel naga artifact endevour all along and was playing dumb in the hologramm scene. he was the one who planned to assassinate kerrigan through raynor and tychus with the xelnaga artifact and Duran (Dr. Narud) helped him with this.

Assassinating Kerrigan wasn't a twist. That was the most logical result, based on Tychus' behaviour and the various mission purposes.

farnham

Banned
Lime said:
Assassinating Kerrigan wasn't a twist. That was the most logical result, based on Tychus' behaviour and the various mission purposes.
I dont know i found it pretty frightening that Mengsk already is under the influence of the Xel Naga.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Watched the entire SP campaign online.. i dont know what to think really. Good and bad.. kind of predictable.. was hoping for more but it was in line with what Blizzards put out recently so i shouldnt have been surprised.

As far as the future games are concerned.. Wings of Liberty really doesnt feel like its own contained product. Its basically the first act and as a SP campaign is totally lacking. For example, in SC1 the three different campaigns told a story that culminated in the destruction of the Overmind. It felt complete. Maybe it was just me, but the final little bit at the end of SC1 where a text message just appears mentioning that Kerrigan is still out there i felt was brilliant. It really caught me off-guard at the time because i was so caught up in the Overmind story i had practically forgot about her. That one sentence after the game ended made more of an impact on me than anything in WoL.

Lime

water_wendi said:
Watched the entire SP campaign online.. i dont know what to think really. Good and bad.. kind of predictable.. was hoping for more but it was in line with what Blizzards put out recently so i shouldnt have been surprised.

As far as the future games are concerned.. Wings of Liberty really doesnt feel like its own contained product. Its basically the first act and as a SP campaign is totally lacking. For example, in SC1 the three different campaigns told a story that culminated in the destruction of the Overmind. It felt complete. Maybe it was just me, but the final little bit at the end of SC1 where a text message just appears mentioning that Kerrigan is still out there i felt was brilliant. It really caught me off-guard at the time because i was so caught up in the Overmind story i had practically forgot about her. That one sentence after the game ended made more of an impact on me than anything in WoL.

But didn't you play SC1, whereas you watched the SP videos of WoL online without the 'complete experience'? Your comparison between the two games is kind of unjust.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Lime said:
But didn't you play SC1, whereas you watched the SP videos of WoL online without the 'complete experience'? Your comparison between the two games is kind of unjust.
If the game had a dynamic story based on player decisions then i would agree. Just like the first game, the gameplay is pretty insulated from the story and its presentation. i dont feel my opinions on the story is unjust.

edit: my opinions are just on the story. My opinions on gameplay elements would have no basis since im not playing and can only observe.

Theoris

Neo Member
Son of Godzilla said:
Raynor made a plot assumption that Kerrigan saving us all involved him repeatedly killing her and using unknowable voodoo magic to remove her powers.

What's even worse is how he explains nothing about this to Tychus but blathers on and on to Matt.

In that case colour me quite disappointed.I had great fun playing but I love a good sci-fi story.. and this fell short. They could have at least acknowledged the fact that it was risky to gamble on whether Kerrigan was needed in her current form or not... or even mentioned the Protoss crystal visions at all? We are supposed to *be* Jim Raynor right? Atleast make it consensual in the decisions the character makes with the player, or atleast somewhat agreeable/understandable.

Anyway I'm probably taking this all far too seriously, time to kick in the multiplayer mode love-in! :D

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm just theorizing here.

Kerrigan becoming human again.

All according to keikaku?

Atomic said:
Not working, but split personality type thing or something??
It's just really random. Her ghost portrait just pops up after her zergie one curses you. And then the match ends. I guess you have to trigger something to make it happen? No idea what.

Theoris said:
In that case colour me quite disappointed.I had great fun playing but I love a good sci-fi story.. and this fell short. They could have at least acknowledged the fact that it was risky to gamble on whether Kerrigan was needed in her current form or not... or even mentioned the Protoss crystal visions at all? We are supposed to *be* Jim Raynor right? Atleast make it consensual in the decisions the character makes with the player, or atleast somewhat agreeable/understandable.

Anyway I'm probably taking this all far too seriously, time to kick in the multiplayer mode love-in! :D
What's even more even more stupid is how he's all "Well maybe we will kill her, I'm not sure" to Tychus when HE JUST FOUND OUT THAT SHE'S NEEDED TO SAVE THE ENTIRE FRIGGIN UNIVERSE.

I'm calling it now. WoL campaign is just some fever dream.

water_wendi said:

I played the entire thing including all the side missions except one (the secret one), and I agree with you completely. The WoL campaign was equivalent in plot progression to SC1's terran campaign.

SuperAndroid17 said:
The dark one's portrait looks like tassadar... tassadar also said he was never dead or never planned on dying.

hmmm .. maybe its just me. :D

Why would Tassadar give Zeratul valuable info and advice if he was an enemy?

kiryogi

Banned
SuperAndroid17 said:
The dark one's portrait looks like tassadar... tassadar also said he was never dead or never planned on dying.

hmmm .. maybe its just me. :D

Oh god that'd just be a jumping a shark twist right there. Making Tassadar the enemy all along.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
farnham said:
looks like kerrigan in her human form appears in the last mission if certain conditions are met

the screen is in korean and it says

Kerrigan : I will get my revenge.
Sarah : Dont give up.

Pic is not working, but here is one i just took :
28k4gg7.jpg

I saw that right when i was about to defeat her and when the artifact got destroyed at fucking 98.9%

Bisnic said:
Pic is not working, but here is one i just took :

I saw that right when i was about to defeat her and when the artifact got destroyed at fucking 98.9%

Yeah I saw that as well, fairly sure it happens as you come close to finishing the mission. I didn't realize it at the time but I'm fairly sure that portrait is just Novas with red hair.

Also was anyone else disappointed that the Terran General with the slick arm cannon and whose name currently eludes me wasn't a playable hero unit? :(

Theoris

Neo Member
SenorDingDong said:
Also was anyone else disappointed that the Terran General with the slick arm cannon and whose name currently eludes me wasn't a playable hero unit? :(

Heh yeah I thought that too. Thinking about it, did we get to control any hero units during the Terran campaign at all? We obviously did in the Protoss ones.

Edit: Oh wait didn't we control Tychus when attacking the news networks?

ZealousD

Theoris said:
Heh yeah I thought that too. Thinking about it, did we get to control any hero units during the Terran campaign at all? We obviously did in the Protoss ones.

Edit: Oh wait didn't we control Tychus when attacking the news networks?

The big mission for controlling hero units is the one where you take out the Nydus Network on Char. There's also the secret mission.

Theoris

Neo Member
SuperAndroid17 said:
If you choose to take the nydus tunnel mission near the end of the campaign

You get 4 hero units. :D

Raynor/Tychus/the nerd/The fat armory guy

Nice, I look forward to going back and doing that mission (I 'shattered the sky' on my playthrough).

Cels

SenorDingDong said:

It's okay, Blizzard got him to say "Mayday, mayday, this is General Warfield. My ship has taken TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE damage!"

ZealousD

Cels said:
It's okay, Blizzard got him to say "Mayday, mayday, this is General Warfield. My ship has taken TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE damage!"

Yeah I had a laugh at that one. :lol

Also the one where they recreate that scene from Predator. "You son of a bitch!"

Morokh

Just finished the campain and I really don't know what to think ...

The hole Tychus story is just too obvious (since it's Mengsk voice in the opening cinematic), Kerrigan is a really bad villain in this campain, Raynor is way too cliché at times.

There are some funny cameos in the game, but it really feels too much at times (Dancing Hologram, TV spots etc ...)

The "choices" you can make that lead to different missions, or affect the next mission adds some sort of player involvement, but makes the game feel like a dumbed down Mass Effect.

The overall experience was fun, but just got nowhere .... after ten years ... DAMN YOU BLIZZARD !

Trickster

GhostRidah said:
been years since I played the original Starcraft campaign but was there any female protoss?

There is a female protoss called Selendis in the game

Edit - damn, beaten. guess that's what I get for not F5'ing for a few minutes :(

[Nintex]

Just finished it and I thought it was pretty awesome. The story maybe wasn't what everyone was expecting but overall Raynor achieved most of his goals. The final act was pretty awesome with the Terrans stuck on Char with Battlecruisers and other shit crashing left and right, just waiting to be overrun.

I think that the Moebius/Narud(Duran) thing is just one of Mengsk's schemes again. Too bad we didn't actually got to fight him head-on. And yes I agree, Tassadar could've been the enemy all along. It might be crazy but he was the one who decided not to stop the Zerg infestation.

Everytime I finish a Starcraft game I feel like I should fire up the map editor and build my own mini-campaign. :lol

duckroll

Just finished the campaign. It was really solid. Not really much to discuss though, it's a really straightforward story, and it's pretty obvious what direction the story is headed to next. I think the Kerrigan message at the end that says "don't give up" should be in every single game. It's the last thing that happens before you complete the mission. My artifact was at 100% health and never touched the entire mission, and when I defeated Kerrigan in her final charge (artifact at about 98% charge or so) I got the "don't give up" message and Raynor and Matt commented on it, then I got the victory cutscene with the artifact being used.

Top Bottom