• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft II Story Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Trickster said:
There is a female protoss called Selendis in the game

Edit - damn, beaten. guess that's what I get for not F5'ing for a few minutes :(
Yea I knew of her in this one since I did complete the game but im just trying to remember if I seen her or any others in starcraft 1.

Thanks for reminding me about the dark templar matriarch.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i remember getting the "dont give up" thing but i thought it was nova telling us not to give up, not kerrigan

davepoobond said:
i remember getting the "dont give up" thing but i thought it was nova telling us not to give up, not kerrigan
Nope it's Kerrigan, but they do look very similar and even have the same pose >_<.

davepoobond

eh, also id like to say that i was satisfied with the story. some things were sorta beaten into you like the eventual Tychus betrayal, but there seems like something about it that he'll come back as an infested hero guy

Cels

davepoobond said:

Nova and Kerrigan basically have the same portrait aside from the hair color, I mean look at this.

novakerrigan.png

REV 09

Just beat it. I was pretty disappointed with the story. I won't regurgitate what everyone else posted, but I will say that the mood of the story really lacked intensity. Raynor has to be the most mellow guy to ever lead an army. I also thought that basically every new side character was uninteresting and often times cliche. The writing was bad, and outside of the 4 awesome CG vids, the game wasn't remotely epic nor cinematic. Meh.

+mission variety
+core Gameplay mechanics

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The only thing I could think of when the credits rolled was how incredibly misogynistic the game seemed. The entirety of the campaign seemed like musclebound blockheads high fiving and saving helpless women. And then the only powerful female character in the game world turns into a little baby for James Raynor to cradle in his arms as he walks into a sunset.

The whole game just seemed like a thirteen year old's inner fantasy come to life. Raynor has not one, but two laser sights on his Christmas Tree sized sniper rifle. The whole story just feels like one big unintentional joke.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's just games. Not to defend SC2 because you are right about it (Kerrigan is in heels even though she has no shoes and is an alien), but you might as well blame the entire medium for being like that.

firehawk12 said:
That's just games. Not to defend SC2 because you are right about it (Kerrigan is in heels even though she has no shoes and is an alien), but you might as well blame the entire medium for being like that.

Hah, I always thought that was ridiculous. Also slightly related, was there any story related reason why unit Kerrigan was positively massive? Or was it as I'd imagine just to make her easier to spot.

Ferrio

Banned
Finished it today. The story was pretty meh, I was hoping it would go somewhere interesting... but alas. That said what I did like:

-Probably the best single player RTS I've played, missions were really varied and never felt quite the same each map. The upgrades, new units you could research, and mercenaries you could higher kept it fresh.
-The character interaction by itself was good (except the news anchor shit...god that was awful), and really good voice acting. Loved Tychus getting his ass beatdown by Raynor
-Blizz loves throwing cross game references in. Dancing Night Elves, believe hogger was mentioned? Quite a few smirks here and there.

Coeliacus

Dance In My Blood said:
The only thing I could think of when the credits rolled was how incredibly misogynistic the game seemed. The entirety of the campaign seemed like musclebound blockheads high fiving and saving helpless women. And then the only powerful female character in the game world turns into a little baby for James Raynor to cradle in his arms as he walks into a sunset.

The whole game just seemed like a thirteen year old's inner fantasy come to life. Raynor has not one, but two laser sights on his Christmas Tree sized sniper rifle. The whole story just feels like one big unintentional joke.
The whole terran campaign is a big western tribute with zenomorphs and a protoss intermission. I usually pick up on the useless female thing in games, but in this case I felt like they made it fit will.

Besides, next game will be about leveling Kerrigan up and scrunching things with her girl power. Also, the merc with the pink hair and Nova were bad ass... the boobplate really needs to go though. :lol

Overall I liked the story, typical corny Blizzard fair. The characters were likely enough, I hope they undead rez Tychus, he had some cool lines. My only complaint was how disjointed the different arcs felt, and how Raynor neglects to bring up how Kerrigan will save the universe at the best of times.

Bring on the zerg campaign. :)

Overall, I was extremely pleased by the SP campaign. As many others before me have said, the gameplay is superb, the tech upgrades and stuff are exciting and interesting, Really fleshed out the terrans and exhausted what you could expect out of a terran campaign. Loved the special mechanics on each of the levels, and the difficulty seems alright.

Like all y'all, I was a disappointed by the story,but only at first. What I realize when I think about it some more is that it kinda plays into the SC fanatics' wet dreams. I always liked kerrigan, even somewhat as the mega bitch, and now they made her even more "likable" and easy on the eyes. I know you may disagree about the likable part, but if you liked the kerrigan character BEFORE the transformation as I did, the story plays on that. If you liked kerrigan as a badass queen bitch, well, you're out of luck. She may have been a much better villain in SC1, but now she's a bonafide hero character.

I personally enjoyed the zerg missions where you were listening to kerrigan a LOT more than the ones with the overmind, so having kerrigan look to be a huge focus not as an enemy but an ally is a plus to me, because it will mean she will factor in to the missions and cutscenes a lot more in the third installment than she might've otherwise.

The whole xel-naga = chaos from WC3 looks like a sham at first, but Then I got to thinking, what does this possibly mean for the expansions? Everyone seems to hate the whole 1 race per campaign deal going on with SC2, but that may not be as much the case with the way the story is headed.

You start in this campaign with everything as we all have known it, terrans are against zerg AND a good chunk of protoss as well, and even terrans too (dominion). So it's us raynor terrans against everyone. So what do they have to do to get a little other race action without blowing open some story threads halfway through the FIRST of a trilogy? Have zeratul show up and give you some memories. They made for some damn good missions, possibly the best out of the whole campaign.

What I imagine is with the story, as drab as it seems to be at first glance with being just like warcraft and such, it may be NECESSARY to make the missions even MORE FUN than they were in this campaign. Yeah, you all seem to agree that the missions were crazy fun and the gameplay was superb, well forget the story because all it is is a vehicle for even more fun missions.

We're going to have zeratul come about the kerrigan ship and be like "yo dawg, go fight with some of these probes and kill this duran guy over here" and that will comprise 5 missions. Then raynor's like "OH NO NEW HAVEN IS BEING BURNED BY XELNAGA WARSHIPS, mah scientist buddy! DAMN YOU TYCHUS WHY WONT YOU DIE WHERE DID YOU GET THOSE 8 BIONIC HEADS" so you go off on 5 missions fighting the xelnaga who have zerg and protoss slaves or something. Then Tassadar is gonna show up and start throwing around lightning bolts and casting lava pits or something or shoot banelings out his nose and self destruct. And it will be awesome.

I can't even imagine what theyll come up with after the obvious 3-way alliance comes up, I imagine the final mission of the third in the trilogy will likely be you controlling a zerg, toss and terran base versus xel-naga for God's sake. That sounds freaking awesome. I always LOVED getting the workers from the other races and building some crazy team army shit in SC1.

And fighting xelnaga, with the inherent difficulty expected with their crazy units. All those units available in the map editor. All those units possibly playable in custom games like the naga and chaos orcs in WC3 kinda were. Don't worry about SC2's story, it's just being thrown in the trash bin to give us just enough plot threads to show us more cool kerrigan cinematics (I really like her cinematic models, I must be one of the only people who actually prefer her new look, both pre/post infestation) and give us missions that are 10 times more awesome than these were.

golem said:
Sisters? Clones?

i swear when pre-infested kerrigan showed up on the last mission, I had to load a previous save just to make sure they didnt actually put nova in somehow. Kind of annoying to say the least, that is unless it is a hint of them being clones.

Zanken said:
The whole terran campaign is a big western tribute...
Bring on the zerg campaign. :)

I'm surprised more people don't fall completely in love with the story simply because it's painfully obvious these guys were ridiculous fans of firefly. The resemblance is uncanny.

I too can't wait for the zerg campaign, I'm so much better and have so much more fun with zerg.

The best BEST thing is just seeing how awesome the upgrades and shit were in the terran campaign, and realizing it will be as good as, or likely BETTER than these were in the next ones. HO-LEE SHIT batman.

Tacitus_

Ice Monkey said:
I'm surprised more people don't fall completely in love with the story simply because it's painfully obvious these guys were ridiculous fans of firefly. The resemblance is uncanny.

I too can't wait for the zerg campaign, I'm so much better and have so much more fun with zerg.

The best BEST thing is just seeing how awesome the upgrades and shit were in the terran campaign, and realizing it will be as good as, or likely BETTER than these were in the next ones. HO-LEE SHIT batman.

That sounds like something out of science fiction!
We live in a spaceship, dear.

Tacitus_ said:
That sounds like something out of science fiction!
We live in a spaceship, dear.

raynor and tychus had a reference (maybe) to this too :lol

Tychus: We might rip a hole in the space time continuum!
Raynor: This isn't science fiction, Tychus.

Tacitus_

Ice Monkey said:
raynor and tychus had a reference (maybe) to this too :lol

Tychus: We might rip a hole in the space time continuum!
Raynor: This isn't science fiction, Tychus.

Yeah, but I couldn't be arsed to find the SC2 quote :lol

duckroll

golem said:
Sisters? Clones?

The truth is probably just marketing. Nova was originally meant to be the main character of Starcraft: Ghost. Kerrigan was pretty much the benchmark of what fans had come to expect from a female Ghost. So since they couldn't use Kerrigan, they wanted to create a similar looking character which fans would relate to. After Ghost got canned, Blizzard had invested too heavily into Nova creatively to just drop her from the universe. So her design and story stuck around in various books and comics, and now she's a cameo character in SC2.

That's how I see it anyway.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
golem said:
Sisters? Clones?

Their respective backstories have already been extensively covered. Neither of these possibilities are realistically possible.

I think Duckroll has the right idea.

Tacitus_

ZealousD said:
Their respective backstories have already been extensively covered. Neither of these possibilities are realistically possible.

I think Duckroll has the right idea.

And they were crafted from the same protofemale model blizz created so they could make faster character renders. Male characters show this as well but they usually have more differences than hair color >_>

Geeker

I thought the campaign was excellent despite playing it on normal (which was a bit too easy) due to my shitty, clogged up air vent, laptop cant handle the game even with everything on low.

Regarding story I expect the expansions to become much more epic as the whole xel naga thing plays out. Pretty much every blizzard expansion has upped the ante in terms of epicness as the core game serves as the fundamental game to ease you into the universe.

Anyway, what has not been discussed much here is the secret mission. It certainly looks like mengsk has some tricks up his sleave that will cause some twists later, and one can only wonder what the protoss (artanis??) has been up to since the end of brood war

duckroll

Geeker said:
Anyway, what has not been discussed much here is the secret mission. It certainly looks like mengsk has some tricks up his sleave that will cause some twists later, and one can only wonder what the protoss (artanis??) has been up to since the end of brood war

I think the Dominion are just being used by Duran's masters. Here's what I reckon is what's going on:

- The Xel'Naga created the Zerg and Protoss from their own DNA, but each has a half of their genetic code. Both races were created to be sentient and to create their world civilizations.

- Because of the nature of the Zerg biology and how they are controlled by an Overmind, the great evil from the Void influenced the Zerg and altered the Overmind, feeding it thoughts to destroy the Protoss.

- The resulting war destroys the plan the Xel'Naga originally had, and doomed their perfect cycle. Now the great evil has agents under his command like Duran, who seeks to use corrupted hybrid technology to attract dubious allies throughout the sector to do their bidding.

- Mengsk's was probably given an offer with the condition that the Queen of Blades is killed, since she was the only possible threat to the plan. If she can rally the Zerg under her and control them to not fight the Terran and Protoss armies, together they can overwhelm the hybrids.

- Knowledge about the artifact was probably all provided by Duran, and Mengsk Sr and Jr were all in on it from the start, using Tychus to get to Raynor to help.

Tacitus_

duckroll said:
I think the Dominion are just being used by Duran's masters. Here's what I reckon is what's going on:

- The Xel'Naga created the Zerg and Protoss from their own DNA, but each has a half of their genetic code. Both races were created to be sentient and to create their world civilizations.

No unless they retcon the origins. Both Protoss and Zerg were found by the Xel'Naga (protoss first=firstborn) and had their evolution boosted by them.
E: actually that's only half correct. Protoss were seeded by the Xel'Naga as they seeded hundreds of worlds with life but they didn't craft them from the start to be their successors.
- Because of the nature of the Zerg biology and how they are controlled by an Overmind, the great evil from the Void influenced the Zerg and altered the Overmind, feeding it thoughts to destroy the Protoss.

While boosting the Zerg, they created the Overmind to watch over them. This was a bad idea since the Overmind figured out the Xel'Naga were watching the Zerg from orbit, assimilated a space faring species into the Zerg and attacked the Xel'Naga ships, killing and assimilitating almost all of them.
- The resulting war destroys the plan the Xel'Naga originally had, and doomed their perfect cycle. Now the great evil has agents under his command like Duran, who seeks to use corrupted hybrid technology to attract dubious allies throughout the sector to do their bidding.

Xel'Nagas plan was for the races to come together (the Overmind wanted to assimilate the Protoss). The Overmind learned of the Protoss when it assimilated the Xel'Naga but knew it couldn't counter their psychic powers just yet -> infest Terrans -> infest Kerrigan. Duran is a bit of a wild card. He could either be serving the Xel'Naga or the Voice in the Darkness
- Mengsk's was probably given an offer with the condition that the Queen of Blades is killed, since she was the only possible threat to the plan. If she can rally the Zerg under her and control them to not fight the Terran and Protoss armies, together they can overwhelm the hybrids.

Possible, but Mengsk could want Kerrigan dead for his personal gain (revenge).
- Knowledge about the artifact was probably all provided by Duran, and Mengsk Sr and Jr were all in on it from the start, using Tychus to get to Raynor to help.

Junior was in it from the start, seems Sr was quite surprised to see what his son was up to.

duckroll

Tacitus_ said:
No unless they retcon the origins. Both Protoss and Zerg were found by the Xel'Naga (protoss first=firstborn) and had their evolution boosted by them.

Well, there's still manipulation going on. There were no protoss and zerg as we know them today before the Xel'Naga altered them. They were specifically altered because the Xel'Naga needed two specific races they could eventually merge to be "reborn."

While boosting the Zerg, they created the Overmind to watch over them. This was a bad idea since the Overmind figured out the Xel'Naga were watching the Zerg from orbit, assimilated a space faring species into the Zerg and attacked the Xel'Naga ships, killing and assimilitating almost all of them.

Xel'Nagas plan was for the races to come together (the Overmind wanted to assimilate the Protoss). The Overmind learned of the Protoss when it assimilated the Xel'Naga but knew it couldn't counter their psychic powers just yet -> infest Terrans -> infest Kerrigan. Duran is a bit of a wild card. He could either be serving the Xel'Naga or the Voice in the Darkness

But the Zeratul storyline in SC2 makes it very clear that the Overmind was created with sentient thought. He had free will and did not want to destroy or assimilate everything. Something took control of the Overmind and corrupted it with the specific order to destroy the Protoss.

The Overmind created Kerrigan as a means to eventually break the Zerg out of this control, and to live for themselves. In SC1 the Overmind was very specific about Kerrigan retaining her free will. It's very clear that the Zerg don't actually "want" to destroy the Protoss but are being used as a massive army to do so for the Hybrids, and it's easy because they can be controlled en masse.

Tacitus_

duckroll said:
But the Zeratul storyline in SC2 makes it very clear that the Overmind was created with sentient thought. He had free will and did not want to destroy or assimilate everything. Something took control of the Overmind and corrupted it with the specific order to destroy the Protoss.

The Overmind created Kerrigan as a means to eventually break the Zerg out of this control, and to live for themselves. In SC1 the Overmind was very specific about Kerrigan retaining her free will. It's very clear that the Zerg don't actually "want" to destroy the Protoss but are being used as a massive army to do so for the Hybrids, and it's easy because they can be controlled en masse.

They're retconning the origins then :/

The Overmind was a brain-like entity of indeterminate age. It was created by the xel'naga on the zerg homeworld of Zerus to bring order to the zerg. At first it was only a semi-sentient entity created from the instincts and collective sentience of the zerg, but it quickly developed intellect and personality.

The Overmind did not directly relay orders to its minions. As new species were added to the Swarm, it began to relay orders telepathically through cerebrates, giant versions of the larvae. Direct orders were relayed through overlords

As the Overmind grew stronger, its senses extended into space over Zerus and detected the xel'naga worldships in orbit. However, its personality was influenced by an outside force to seek galactic domination and, later, a climatic confrontation with the protoss. The Overmind was aware of this manipulation but could find no way to free itself. Its vision was severely restricted and it was forced to act against its own conscience. Cutting off its psionic link to the xel'naga, it prevented them from knowing what it was doing. It called a naturally space-faring species from the void of space to the planet and assimilated it, enabling its minions to survive in space. Then it commenced its attack.

The Overmind absorbed thousands of sentient xel'naga into itself, gaining their knowledge and insights and causing it to grow much more powerful. It learned the secrets of the sacred khaydarin crystals, and began to incorporate the energies of these crystals into its own. Through the knowledge gained from the xel'naga, the Overmind was able to increase the level of sentience in many of the higher zerg strains, while still keeping them fully under its control.

The Overmind dissected the memories of the xel'naga experiments with the protoss. The zerg then devoted their energies to seeking out the powerful protoss in the hope of absorbing them into the Swarm, uniting purity of form and of essence, to create a totally "perfect" being.[

Hang on. That part was added in after SC2 released.

E: The Xel'Naga page states this:
However, it was not long until the Overmind realized that to continue growing the zerg would need to leave Zerus, and assimilated the behemoths, enabling its forces to travel into space. It had since detected the xel'naga worldships in orbit and these made a logical first target for new material. The first sign that the xel'naga had that something was wrong was when the Overmind severed the psychic link. The zerg launched an overwhelming attack on the worldships. The "greater whole" of the xel'naga were slain, an action which threw the xel'naga plan into turmoil.

The Overmind assimilated some of the xel'naga's knowledge as it processed thousands of xel'naga into itself. Amongst other things, the zerg learned of the protoss, the other great experiment; they would become the zerg's ultimate target for assimilation.

duckroll

Well it's retconned in a way where it's like "the secret of the Overmind you never knew!" :lol

Zeratul traveled back to Aiur, and studied the Overmind's memories from the corpse. Then he met Tassadar's spirit, who has been lingering on Aiur. He tells him that after he did the suicide mission at the end of SC1, he discovered that the Overmind is a brave noble being. Apparently the Overmind could not break free of the corruption of its actions, but he needed to find a way because he saw a vision of the destruction of the protoss in the future by the zerg led by Hybrids. So he created Kerrigan to be an instrument of hope for the galaxy.

Zaptruder

Banned
The ending bit I thought was... ok. Not great, but ok.

I think it could've been a lot better as a finality kinda thing, instead of where we have two expansions hanging.

But reading in this thread, it seems like the other expansions we interleave chronologically with the wings of liberty campaign.

Which in turn makes me disappointed that they didn't just have interweaving story lines between all three races, so that the story could be more cohesive.

That said, I'm pretty sure the decision to turn Kerrigan (while still keeping her Zerg enough to control at least some of them), has to do with money.

I.e. it allows for a Starcraft MMO with all races playable.

3 races, all classes unique between races, but can comingle completely, unlike WoW. Maybe have two or more factions nonetheless.

Tacitus_

duckroll said:
Well it's retconned in a way where it's like "the secret of the Overmind you never knew!" :lol

Zeratul traveled back to Aiur, and studied the Overmind's memories from the corpse. Then he met Tassadar's spirit, who has been lingering on Aiur. He tells him that after he did the suicide mission at the end of SC1, he discovered that the Overmind is a brave noble being. Apparently the Overmind could not break free of the corruption of its actions, but he needed to find a way because he saw a vision of the destruction of the protoss in the future by the zerg led by Hybrids. So he created Kerrigan to be an instrument of hope for the galaxy.

Which is IMO, grade A bullshit. Why couldn't they just have the Overmind as an all-consuming evil that Tassadars sacrifice ultimately vanquished at the final battle on Aiur :(

And what about the second Overmind?

And Duran said in SC1 that Kerrigan being infested sped up his progress on the hybrids!

GAH!

Prince fancy pants with daddy issues is gonna be arthas number 2. he's gonna turn himself into the first terran/zerg/protoss hybrid and wield a zel'naga runeblade.

duckroll

fizzelopeguss said:
Prince fancy pants with daddy issues is gonna be arthas number 2. he's gonna turn himself into the first terran/zerg/protoss hybrid and wield a zel'naga runeblade.

The Prince of Blades.

Cels

Plasma said:
You think that is bad? I got to 99.9% and it got destroyed.

Good thing the game autosaves for you...just load it right up and build extra units or something around it

[Nintex]

Tacitus_ said:
Junior was in it from the start, seems Sr was quite surprised to see what his son was up to.
Well I think Mengsk just played along because Tychus was spying for him, so he probably knew what Raynor was up to. His plans might've changed along the way when his son decided that it was a good idea to attack Char head-on.

Remember that Tychus got Raynor to search for those artifacts and work with the Moebius foundation. It seems to have been all set-up trying to find a way to kill Kerrigan. Remember, Mengsk is the most piece of shit backstabber in the entire Starcraft universe. He even denied those colonist refugees entry to the core Dominion worlds when the Zerg invaded.

duckroll

Tychus wasn't broken out of prison, he was released. He told Raynor that Moebius helped him break out, but that's clearly not the case. He was released by Mengsk. Mengsk obviously knew about what Moebius is doing, and he probably has a good idea of his son's involvement. He's not a moron. Raynor on the other hand, has been a moron all his life. Starcraft, Brood War, Wings of Liberty. A moron all the way. He always gets played. :lol

farnham

Banned
duckroll said:
Tychus wasn't broken out of prison, he was released. He told Raynor that Moebius helped him break out, but that's clearly not the case. He was released by Mengsk. Mengsk obviously knew about what Moebius is doing, and he probably has a good idea of his son's involvement. He's not a moron. Raynor on the other hand, has been a moron all his life. Starcraft, Brood War, Wings of Liberty. A moron all the way. He always gets played. :lol
Raynor might be a moron but he is a good man

Like Fenix

May he rest in peace

duckroll

farnham said:
Raynor might be a moron but he is a good man

Like Fenix

May he rest in peace

He's definitely a good man. I loved following Raynor's story in SC2. He's someone who gains a lot of respect from those who encounter him, and he makes many friends. Unfortunately he tries too hard to please people and to do the right thing, and gets exploited very easily by those who don't have the same values he does.

hteng

Banned
story was a disappointment... the whole thing felt rushed and messed up.

i'm thinking the next installament might be about Kerrigan during her 4 years absence and trying to build her empire. which means the game which be a prequel to wings of liberty.

edit: i spotted some homage to other films, like..

1.) son of a bitch hand shake
2.) direct copy of a scene in macross plus.

hteng said:
story was a disappointment... the whole thing felt rushed and messed up.

i'm thinking the next installament might be about Kerrigan during her 4 years absence and trying to build her empire. which means the game which be a prequel to wings of liberty.

I could see this. I'm confused about how it will work if you control Kerrigan in her current state (after WoL).

I enjoyed the campaign and the story as I went along, but now it feels like they left a few hints but not enough real answers at the end of the game. The secret mission only confused me further. I wish there were more definite answers about Mengsk, what he was up to, and how he was affected by the events at the end.

davepoobond

i guess i could see the zerg campaign as a prequel, or maybe part of the campaign as a prequel.

they have to continue the story though from here, otherwise what would be the point of this obvious set-up? to go to the protoss campaign? That would be a far jump, and this isn't Metal Gear Solid.

O.DOGG

I kind of like Tychus. Real shame they chose to dispose of him this way. He was the most interesting character in my opinion. Not deep but charming in a way.

Tacitus_

If the preview of the campaign proves to be correct then the story will continue in HotS and not be a prequel. Kerrigan already controlled the zerg fully after Broodwar and it would sit in the "use the zerg for the greater good" BS that I see being built up.

duckroll

It's not a prequel. Blizzard has said several times that Heart of the Swarm will take place after Wings of Liberty, and players will play as Kerrigan as she goes on a quest to find ways to evolve and gain new powers to regain control over the Zerg army.

davepoobond

they're doing the same thing with Warcraft, uniting all the forces against a common foe, sorta thing.

Sigmond

I thought the whole Tychus subplot was handled more subtly than most people give it credit for. Tychus tries several times to convince Raynor that Kerrigan should just be killed, because that way, he wouldn't have to betray his friend. When that fails, he tries to turn the crew against Raynor so they don't have to go to Char - he's not just starting trouble out of frustration, he's trying to manipulate the course of events.

I think that's why they gave away the fact that Tychus is a sleeper agent right in the beginning: To make the player evaluate his actions under that light, and realize that he was trying to steer the whole situation away from disaster, within the very narrow confines of what he was able to do - considering that Mengsk was listening to his every word and could throw a kill-switch at any time.

In the end, he realized that there was no way he could avoid executing his orders, so he reminded Raynor that he owed him big time for not ratting him out to the authorities back in the days. That explains why he wasted time during the final cinematic, allowing Raynor to draw his gun: He didn't think he was in any danger. He was merely calling in the favor he was owed and expected Raynor to let him kill Kerrigan - not to shoot him in the face.

Basically, Tychus is a tragic hero in the classical sense of the word: His fate is set up from the very beginning, and all his struggles against it amount to nothing in the end. (Incidentally, this is also the only act of effective villainy that can be attributed to Arcturus Mengsk, who was acting like a buffoon throughout the entire game.) He's really the deepest character in the whole campaign, if you think about it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The problem is that the game hammers home the fact that KERRIGAN WILL SAVE THE UNIVERSE if you do the Protoss missions, so... yeah. It seems a little incongruous.

Of course, that's the problem with having a non-linear campaign...

Sigmond said:
I thought the whole Tychus subplot was handled more subtly than most people give it credit for. Tychus tries several times to convince Raynor that Kerrigan should just be killed, because that way, he wouldn't have to betray his friend. When that fails, he tries to turn the crew against Raynor so they don't have to go to Char - he's not just starting trouble out of frustration, he's trying to manipulate the course of events.

I think that's why they gave away the fact that Tychus is a sleeper agent right in the beginning: To make the player evaluate his actions under that light, and realize that he was trying to steer the whole situation away from disaster, within the very narrow confines of what he was able to do - considering that Mengsk was listening to his every word and could throw a kill-switch at any time.

In the end, he realized that there was no way he could avoid executing his orders, so he reminded Raynor that he owed him big time for not ratting him out to the authorities back in the days. That explains why he wasted time during the final cinematic, allowing Raynor to draw his gun: He didn't think he was in any danger. He was merely calling in the favor he was owed and expected Raynor to let him kill Kerrigan - not to shoot him in the face.

Basically, Tychus is a tragic hero in the classical sense of the word: His fate is set up from the very beginning, and all his struggles against it amount to nothing in the end. (Incidentally, this is also the only act of effective villainy that can be attributed to Arcturus Mengsk, who was acting like a buffoon throughout the entire game.) He's really the deepest character in the whole campaign, if you think about it.

Good post.

Just finished the campaign. Was having a lot of trouble around the 90% mark, kept getting destroyed at around 98% no matter what (hard mode). I'm not looking forward to getting the achievement where you can only use the artifact's nova once...

I loved the campaign. Much better than SC1 and BW. Yes the story isn't complete but I think it was a great first act and can't wait to see what happens next. I hope that there's bonus Raynor missions in one of the later expansions to encounter Mengsk though, like there were Zeratul missions in this one.

syoaran

Well, it felt very much like a much larger version of the first race campaign of any other blizzard RTS, and the meat of the story will only exist in parts 2 and 3....

On one note, Warfield is hardcore, that is all

Cels

Well, I don't know how people can say Heart of the Swarm can be a prequel when you get this screen after you beat the campaign.

campaigncomplete.png

I'm sure there will be flashback levels but the bulk of the game's events should take place after the happenings of Wings of Liberty.

Top Bottom