• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am in Japan. And the site is pointing me to buy the US version. But this means I won't be able to play with friends who bought the Australian version? Or anyone in Asia at all? For christs sakes. What is wrong with having just 1 freakin version?! Region locking is far far worse than the worst possible DRM to me. Ugh!

robochimp

Haunted said:
Do we have any sort of release date window for the two expansions?

I know Blizzard haven't said anything about them yet, but maybe some of the Blizzard connoisseurs can make some broad predictions.... one per year? one expansion every two years?

Starcraft is all about the story for me, so having the three races split into several games is like, wcs.

18 months

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So i've been wondering, all the CG cutscenes we have seen so far are part of Wings of Liberty right?

I mean the cutscene where Zeratul is fighting Zergs & Kerrigan seem like something that should be part of either the Zerg or Protoss campaign, not the Terran one.

ultron87

It really doesn't seem right that this game is actually coming out.

At least it's only 1/3 of the single player. If we were getting our only dose of SC2 campaign next week that we'd be getting in the next 10 years it'd be even weirder.

Bisnic said:
So i've been wondering, all the CG cutscenes we have seen so far are part of Wings of Liberty right?

I mean the cutscene where Zeratul is fighting Zergs & Kerrigan seem like something that should be part of either the Zerg or Protoss campaign, not the Terran one.

I think many believe that cutscene is a retelling of events from SC1

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MrCompletely said:
Hmm...
doesn't she say something like "I knew you'd find your way here"? When does she say that in SC1?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
MrCompletely said:

Really? I always thought the cutscene was following the story at the end of Brood War, after Zeratul find out some Protoss/Zerg hybrid & the real Duran, and what we saw in that cutscene was part of Zeratul's "quest" in finding out what Duran was talking about.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
But do we know who the main terran hero will be this time around? Is it
Jim Raynor
?

zoukka

Wasn't Zeratul telling about that scene with Kerrigan to Raynor in the cut-scene where Zeratul appears to him out of the shadows?

Yoshichan said:
But do we know who the main terran hero will be this time around? Is it
Jim Raynor
?

There are 3, I think. An admiral,
Raynor
and that big marine from the first trailer.

I think. There's also Nova IIRC.

Kinyou

Wasn't there some talking about a
mini Protoss campagain
in Wings of Liberty some long, long time ago? But I'm not sure, maybe my mind just making some stuff up :lol .

Flib

Kinyou said:
mini Protoss campagain
in Wings of Liberty some long, long time ago? But I'm not sure, maybe my mind just making some stuff up :lol .

There is one.

Runus

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Amazon has the Collector's Edition back in stock if anyone wants it.

Sorry if old.

Kinyou said:
mini Protoss campagain
this should be there i remember that too

Tacitus_

Kinyou said:
mini Protoss campagain

Zeratul pops by The Hyperion and offers an extra mission in the form of a recording if I remember the cutscene correctly

Minsc said:
Sorta a re-hash of a post from the I need a new PC thread, but seems relevant here too...

I prefer this review, out of the recent batch. They do an excellent job of showing how inadequately the game uses the CPU.

They also agree the GTX 460 is an amazing card, offering 1200p gameplay at 60fps w/ non-optimized, forced 4xAA which ATi can't match on any card. If AA ever gets natively supported (and they show examples, which quite honestly are hard to tell apart), performance will be even better.

http://www.31012.com/images/games/10/sc2-cpu-replay02.jpg[/IM]

That means the CPU is not working properly (or perhaps saying it is performing inadequately is more correct) in the game's engine.

That CPU limit is being hit while it is only utilizing around 20% of the CPU, pretty embarrassing for a game with a 100M budget.

I would say overclocking your CPU is definitely one of the bigger, simpler things you can do for performance gains. The game very much prefers 3Ghz+, closer to 4 the better.[/QUOTE]

So I'm guessing this game is more GPU dependant than CPU? I thought it was the opposite at first. Shame that my CPU will still be the bottleneck though. :(

Kinyou

Tacitus_ said:
Zeratul pops by The Hyperion and offers an extra mission in the form of a recording if I remember the cutscene correctly

xeifxd.gif

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
gotta lame question: get this on amazon or blizzard dd store? i am only getting it for single player if that matters at all.

Minsc

Gold Member
watervengeance said:
So I'm guessing this game is more GPU dependant than CPU? I thought it was the opposite at first. Shame that my CPU will still be the bottleneck though. :(

It does seem to gain more from higher GPUs, but more then again, it is more CPU dependent than need be, because it's locked out of even using two cores fully. Even a 5770 can pull 60fps average @ 1080p maxed out, however, if you're lacking the GHz needed to back the GPU up, you won't see the numbers shown in the benches.

The review I linked to points out that a GTX 460 will be hindering by the (any) CPU, to the point adding a second GTX 460 in SLI does little to nothing for the game.

MYE

So, i just pre-ordered this. Can my lappy run this decently?

Sony Vaio VPC F12
Intel Core i7-740QM
GPU NVidia GeForce GT 330M
6GB RAM

farnham

Banned
AstroLad said:
gotta lame question: get this on amazon or blizzard dd store? i am only getting it for single player if that matters at all.
only question is

do you care for the package or not

if you dont get it through the download store

if you do get it on amazon

i heard that the blizzard store version will be released a tad later though

Minsc said:
It does seem to gain more from higher GPUs, but more then again, it is more CPU dependent than need be, because it's locked out of even using two cores fully. Even a 5770 can pull 60fps average @ 1080p maxed out, however, if you're lacking the GHz needed to back the GPU up, you won't see the numbers shown in the benches.

The review I linked to points out that a GTX 460 will be hindering by the (any) CPU, to the point adding a second GTX 460 in SLI does little to nothing for the game.

Looks like I did indeed make the wrong choice in laptops then. :(

I have a GTX 260m but only a C2D with 2.26 GHz. :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
farnham said:
only question is

do you care for the package or not

if you dont get it through the download store

if you do get it on amazon

i heard that the blizzard store version will be released a tad later though
ok cool. yeah it's weird i'm so used to being hype for a game on steam, checking out the page, pre-ordering and getting some goodies sometimes months ahead of time, but i didn't see anything like that on the blizzard store which is what made me wary (could have been bad browsing on my part). not even a preorder thingie

edit: just pre-ordered the amazon regular edition to avoid annoyances

Minsc

Gold Member
watervengeance said:
Looks like I did indeed make the wrong choice in laptops then. :(

I have a GTX 260m but only a C2D with 2.26 GHz. :(

A couple settings not at ultra, and you'll be fine. It seems to me this is just one of those engines that is difficult to bench due to all the variables that can come in to play, and the way it handles CPUs and what it does and doesn't do on the GPU vs CPU. With AA and enough units on the screen, pretty much any configuration can be brought down to under 60fps maxed out.

I think I've exhausted my technical discussion for a while (between here and elsewhere), let's get back to being hyped for next week again!

Yoshichan said:
Hmm...
doesn't she say something like "I knew you'd find your way here"? When does she say that in SC1?

I was thinking of a different part of the trailer, where Kerrigan is fighting the Zerg.... I think you are correct, but I think there are moments in the trailer that suggest we'll see some events that previously happened in SC1

LaneDS

MrCompletely said:
I was thinking of a different part of the trailer, where Kerrigan is fighting the Zerg.... I think you are correct, but I think there are moments in the trailer that suggest we'll see some events that previously happened in SC1

There is definitely an
uncorrupted Kerrigan
in the television commercial so I'd agree with you 100% there.

I just wrapped up Starcraft 1 in anticipation of this and cleared out my backlog so that I can devote every moment of free time to SC2.

Going through the campaign again I was reminded how much I actually really liked the story. I can't wait to see where they go with it next.

Walshicus

I've seen and read very little on SC2 [it was always an assured purchase] so this might be a stupid question, but are any of the RPG mechanics for hero units carrying over from Warcraft 3?

LaneDS

MYE said:
Anyone?

:[

I can play the beta on a C2D notebook with an nVidia 8600M. You'll probably be able to run the game on Medium to High settings with that setup. The videocard is the weakest link but that's to be expected with notebooks.

LaneDS

Sir Fragula said:
I've seen and read very little on SC2 [it was always an assured purchase] so this might be a stupid question, but are any of the RPG mechanics for hero units carrying over from Warcraft 3?

No leveling up but as mentioned in the OP you will earn credits from missions that allow you to purchase new units and upgrades, giving you some flexibility with how you play through the campaign and a sense of progression.

Struct09

Has anything been said about the retail DVD needing to be in the tray for the game to be played? Blizzard has been awesome about not needing the disc in the drive for their games, I'm hoping they do the same here since SC2 is tied so strongly to battle.net.

I have an M11x (which has no optical drive). I'll be able to find a way to install the game, but obviously don't want to deal with an external drive when playing the game. I would just buy the game digitally, but I have credit at Amazon I want to burn up.

MYE

LaneDS said:
I can play the beta on a C2D notebook with an nVidia 8600M. You'll probably be able to run the game on Medium to High settings with that setup. The videocard is the weakest link but that's to be expected with notebooks.

mescalineeyes said:
You'll be fine.

Thank you

LaneDS

Struct09 said:
Has anything been said about the retail DVD needing to be in the tray for the game to be played? Blizzard has been awesome about not needing the disc in the drive for their games, I'm hoping they do the same here since SC2 is tied so strongly to battle.net.

I have an M11x (which has no optical drive). I'll be able to find a way to install the game, but obviously don't want to deal with an external drive when playing the game. I would just buy the game digitally, but I have credit at Amazon I want to burn up.

Guessing you won't need the disc because you'll almost certainly need to login to play. That, and the digital version you mentioned.

And if you do need the disc, have you tried programs like Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools? Those would allow you to circumvent the need for constantly using an external drive.

MYE said:
Thank you

You're welcome.

Sir Fragula said:
Zero, this is starcraft

Peterthumpa

Yay, ok... just jumped on the hype train and now downloading the digital version.

As someone who practically never played an RTS before (besides some weeks of good ol' C&C Generals) I'm expecting to be disappointed by my lack of patience in trying to learn the game mechanics, but those awesome point n' click parts and the marvelous CG cutscenes hold me back on ignoring it.

Now, with all that said... can someone convince me that I'll love this game (and actually start to love RTSs in general after this?)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Tacitus_ said:
the aformentioned cutscene occurs
in relation to
this.

Tacitus_

LaneDS said:
And if you do need the disc, have you tried programs like Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools? Those would allow you to circumvent the need for constantly using an external drive.

Most current programs(games) can distinguish a real disc from a simulated one if they require a cd check while starting and some go as far as refusing to start if they detect a virtual drive at all.

LaneDS

felipepl said:
Yay, ok... just jumped on the hype train and now downloading the digital version.

As someone who practically never played an RTS before (besides some weeks of good ol' C&C Generals) I'm expecting to be disappointed by my lack of patience in trying to learn the game mechanics, but those awesome point n' click parts and the marvelous CG cutscenes hold me back on ignoring it.

Now, with all that said... can someone convince me that I'll love this game (and actually start to love RTSs in general after this?)

I think the beauty of Blizzard RTS games is that they're pretty damn easy to figure out at first glance. And I imagine SC2 will be designed to introduce new players in smart ways.

Also, if this is your first exposure to Blizzard RTS, I think if you give it a chance, you'll love it. Though do yourself a favor and watch the SC1 story cutscenes ZealousD posted in the OP. They're 12 years old and thus very dated looking, but the plot is good and will enhance your SC2 experience almost certainly.

LaneDS

Tacitus_ said:
Most current programs(games) can distinguish a real disc from a simulated one if they require a cd check while starting and some go as far as refusing to start if they detect a virtual drive at all.

Good point. While I'm still relatively sure it won't require the disc (and will require the login credentials), I'm assuming they'll have no-DVD cracks out promptly for folks in Struct09's position.

Edit- Ugh, double post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom