• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft: Remastered |OT| Evolution Complete

Phased

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm lurker contains. I love this game.

Btw the Survive 30 minutes mission was pretty funny considering I wiped out every enemy on the map about 10 minutes in.

Yeah I remember the campaign being way harder than this lol. I'm planning on marathoning through this and then the expansion and then sc2 and I'm already looking forward to shooting the difficulty up in 2.

Good memories here though, even if me as a kid really inflated how hard it was. I'm sure it gets tougher later on.

Water

I feel like there's something wrong with the controls above and beyond the jank (like awful pathing) that's intended to be there. For one thing, it feels as if the game occasionally just ignores me pressing the number hotkey for a unit group. And some unit movement feels laggy & unresponsive. I tried to patrol-micro Raynor's vulture in the single player campaign and had a hard time getting it to shoot while moving. Haven't compared to vanilla BW but I really feel it wasn't this janky. It's been only a couple of years since I touched BW. Guess I should go into custom game / skirmish and try there as well in case the game speed and mechanics are different in single player.

Water

Good memories here though, even if me as a kid really inflated how hard it was. I'm sure it gets tougher later on.
Brood War's final mission "Omega" was a decent challenge for me back then despite having played hundreds of hours of casual melees and FFAs - didn't clear it on first try.

I think Blizzard missed an opportunity here. It's good the original levels are present, but they should have added optional achievements to each mission to provide challenge (eg. "destroy 2 enemy command centers under 10 mins", "win without a single marine dying to enemy fire"), or even put in alternative "remastered" versions with slight design tweaks. The 25 minute defense mission at the beginning of the Terran campaign is a good example of a mission that desperately needed tweaking.

kriskrosbbk

For the save game issue check the folder is not set to read only.

I lost a mid mission save but it always worked when I created a new file. I checked the save game folder and after changing it from read only I can overwrite saves properly.

And what is the name of that folder cause I couldnt find it?

ScOULaris

The 2.2GB of VRAM requirement for dynamic lighting is such a tease. I think 2GB GPU's are pretty common for people with midrange builds right now, and being less than 200MB shy of the requirement for simulated dynamic lighting in a 2D game like this feels shitty.

Come on, Blizz. I'm confident that you can get the requirement down to 2GB or less with some further optimization. I know that they were tweaking dynamic lighting right up until release, so maybe there's hope for a future patch to address this INJUSTICE. ;)

AndersK

Is the manual included? Starcraft 1 had the GOAT manual lore, really great reading if you're into the universe.

Even the Xel'Naga stuff was great!

hrab

This preorder bonus is nothing to regret, really. For me it looked interesting for first couple of minutes.Then I've started to look for an options to turn it off.

Btw does for any of you opening options panel in the game takes so much time? Sometimes I need to wait good couple of seconds after clicking 'Options' button before it will finally show up.

The 2.2GB of VRAM requirement for dynamic lighting is such a tease. I think 2GB GPU's are pretty common for people with midrange builds right now, and being less than 200MB shy of the requirement for simulated dynamic lighting in a 2D game like this feels shitty.

Come on, Blizz. I'm confident that you can get the requirement down to 2GB or less with some further optimization. I know that they were tweaking dynamic lighting right up until release, so maybe there's hope for a future patch to address this INJUSTICE. ;)

2GB is really low-end now, considering mid range cards like the 1060 and RX 480 have at least 3GB or RAM, hell even the lower end 1050 and RX460 came with 4GB.

Also regarding the campaign difficulty, I think BW campaigns have a little bit of RNG when it comes to difficulty, enemies don't always come at the same pace nor the same numbers, so it might be easier with certain playthrough or harder in the next. I have no idea why but my wild guess would be immature scripting and wonky pathing?

ScOULaris

2GB is really low-end now, considering mid range cards like the 1060 and RX 480 have at least 3GB or RAM, hell even the lower end 1050 and RX460 came with 4GB.

Sure, but people who built their PC's like 2-4 years ago should not be locked out from a graphical effect like this in a game running on a 20-year-old 2D engine IMO.

I can run Overwatch on mostly high/ultra settings at 1080p/100fps no problem with my rig, but I can't get dynamic lighting in Brood War. That's kind of silly, especially considering I'm just 200MB of VRAM short of this odd requirement.

Prelude.

What's the game size supposed to be? I had anthology installed, when remastered went live I had to download a 4gb update (despite not buying it) and now my SC folder is 6.77gb.

ScOULaris

So how was everyone's first day/night with SC Remastered? Mine was one filled with wonder and plentiful UMS lobbies. I was partying like it was 1999, playing a wide variety of custom games with people who were fueled by nostalgia and returning to BW because of Remastered. It was awesome.

Juraash

So I didn't get too much time with this yesterday, but I did make sure to knock out the first couple missions. That said, I think Blizzard has done a really great job. The game really hits the whole "this is how I remember it" thing, even though it clearly never looked this nice. It was a wonderful little trip down memory lane and I'm looking forward to more time with it.

DragonQuarter

Neo Member
Got it and I'm happy to jump back into the game after not playing for over a decade, but I'm a little confused -- they mentioned re-recorded audio, but I'm not hearing anything new from the voices or music. Options menu indicates that "Original audio" is unchecked...am I missing something here?

Woorloog

Banned
Got it and I'm happy to jump back into the game after not playing for over a decade, but I'm a little confused -- they mentioned re-recorded audio, but I'm not hearing anything new from the voices or music. Options menu indicates that "Original audio" is unchecked...am I missing something here?

False or mistaken advertising basically. They apparently cleaned up audio, as much as they could without original source files but that's about it. It certainly wasn't re-recorded in English.
Several localisations have completely new audio, so the options exists mostly for those.

As for music.... i wonder. The snippets they had at SoundCloud sounded a bit different, perhaps people thought they sounded off and complained. Blizzard did apparently make some more visual changes that got removed (eg blue eyes for high templar, at least in portrait concept art) due to outcry.

Woorloog

Banned
I would assume any real engine modifications, like multiple unit selection would require, were off the table for cost reasons as well as purism. I mean, this thing can't have had very big budget.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Really enjoying playing through the full campaign for the first time. Games like Starcraft and Command & Conquer/Red Alert have this effortless ability in their presentation to make you feel like you're attending war councils and getting shit done. From the badass music to the no-frills briefings with great voice acting (and much better writing than recent Blizzard games), this game is the very definition of cool.

I will say that one thing I wish they improved is unit AI/pathfinding. Getting my terran troups to take ramps without at least one or two of them trying to take detours like idiots gets annoying really quickly. But I understand this would completely change the meta of the game, and you can't have that at this point. This is my only real gripe so far.

ScOULaris

What does the Smooth Unit Turning option do?

From one of the dev interviews:

Sousa was happy to discover that the original code had one useful tweak up its sleeve, at least: support for more unit animation angles. Every direction a unit turns has to be redrawn, and most of the original game's units only had nine rotational angles drawn in (with seven of those flipped as mirror images to save on memory, for a total of 16 visible angles).

But some of the game's units had as many as 17 angles drawn in, reaching a total of 32 visible angles. Sousa was able to bake that support in for all units. He pointed to the long, thin Vulture bike unit on the Terran army as an example of a unit that benefits from the visual tweak this time, and, sure enough, when the bike has to turn, it no longer looks like it's weirdly warping around.

Woorloog

Banned
Ah, no wonder i didn't notice it really despite trying game with the setting toggled off and on. Rather minor effect all in all. Units do turn smoother with it but wasn't sure if it was imaginary or not.

Syf

Banned

I lost a mid mission save but it always worked when I created a new file. I checked the save game folder and after changing it from read only I can overwrite saves properly.
Hey I think this worked for me, thanks!

So how was everyone's first day/night with SC Remastered? Mine was one filled with wonder and plentiful UMS lobbies. I was partying like it was 1999, playing a wide variety of custom games with people who were fueled by nostalgia and returning to BW because of Remastered. It was awesome.
Was great. Nearly finished the SC1 campaign and got some ladder games in. Stayed up til almost 6 AM haha. Couple issues but pretty smooth first day overall for me. Most annoying thing right now is the settings not saving, but they're aware and working on it.

I played most of the Terran Campaign and decided to play more UMS games and stayed up till like 4 AM playing UMS games, was just as fun as it was back then.

Plus spamming F5 to see all the map/unit changes every chance I can get, it's lovely.

Prelude.

Anyone?
What's the game size supposed to be? I had anthology installed, when remastered went live I had to download a 4gb update (despite not buying it) and now my SC folder is 6.77gb.
Sometimes these games can bloat their install size so I'd like to know if 6.77gb is right.

So how was everyone's first day/night with SC Remastered?

My menus like the options, multiplayer servers, and the image in the top right of the main menu screen have no text and brick the game because I can't get out of them, so I spent my time trying to figure out why. Verifying game files said nothing's wrong so I dunno. Don't really want to play without being able to change game speed.

Woorloog

Banned

Uh, does the "read-only" tag stay unchecked? Because i had an issue with SC2 where either Windows or Battle.net app or SC2 kept re-adding the read-only tag constantly, effectively making it impossible to remove that.

(This was few weeks ago.)

EDIT Of-fucking-course. Yeah, something re-applies the read-only tag constantly. Game not active, so it is either Battle.net or Windows 10. Now, how the fuck do i solve this?

EDIT It is the fucking Windows. Of course. Seriously... EDIT No, wait, or is that some kind of security thing? Either way, something fucks over Battle.net game saves for me occasionally.

Jinroh

I swear this game is driving me crazy, saves work completely randomly. I usually save as something like TERRAN.M.10 and then saves like XXX and YYY. I save something like every 5 minutes alternating between those 3. I've just lost a bunch of units, reload and it's a save from like half an hour ago, on all those 3 saves!

It's totally fucked up and I suspect it's related to cloud saving. It's getting really annoying and I'm wondering if it's not link to a mess up with the cloud saving synchronization.

Syf

Banned
For now the safest bet is to keep making new save files each time until they fix it. It's a hassle but hasn't not worked for me yet.

Jinroh

Yeah actually I can easily see when it doesn't save, the previous save doesn't get replaced, it obviously doesn't come on top of the others as the most recent save. Really annoying.

Woorloog

Banned
Is it possible to disable cloud-saves? Because if they're the cause for failed saving, i'm perfectly happy to disable them.

I have zero need for cloud-saves on any platform. (Should i lose the save file, not a problem.)

Is it possible to disable cloud-saves? Because if they're the cause for failed saving, i'm perfectly happy to disable them.

I have zero need for cloud-saves on any platform. (Should i lose the save file, not a problem.)
No idea, my saves have been working, my saves have been saving the normal way and aren't in the Cloud section when I go to load a save up.

Onemic

Im so bad at this game, but its still fun learning. Went online a few times and everyone has 100+ apm vs my shitty 40 lol. My last game was against a dude that DT rushed me and had an apm of 350

StayDead

I've been playing BW non stop since 2009 and I've been really excited to play with remastered graphics.

Yeah there's been bugs with ladders and menus not showing, but that seems to be fixed on EU now so fantastic.

I'm in love still.

Syf

Banned
Finished all the SP episodes. Great as ever, and still love that final Brood War mission. I liked the little story enhancements they made with the comic book style artwork. Never felt out of place and helped flesh out those segments a little bit. I got used to most of the portraits pretty quick, except Tassadar's; the new one just doesn't give him the same vibe as a character and it's jarring going from that to the ending cinematic of SC1, where he looks totally different. Anyway, on to UMS and more ladder.

How's skirmish vs the ai? If you do a 8 player FFA do they all still go against you?
Just tested a solo FFA on Homeworld. Only one attacked me, the rest were fighting each other.

It's really interesting playing Starcraft for the first time in like a decade. When I played it as a kid, I had no idea about hotkeys. I just clicked everything. Having played Starcraft 2 for so long though has made it so much easier for me. Most of the unit hotkeys are the same, although it's taking me a bit to get used to the different ones.

Played the first 8 missions of the original Terran campaign and found it pretty easy. I started the Zerg campaign and there's a massive difference in difficulty. You can not go out with a small army. Once you start attacking you'll get swarmed by units that feels like a never ending wave. I had to restart the 3rd mission because running up a small ramp with Hydras that's covered with Siege Tanks is a terrible idea and I ran out of minerals. That's probably my biggest issue with it so far compared to Starcraft 2. Minerals are pretty limited and it's hard to completely max out.

I've been playing so much UMS that I haven't even touched Ladder yet, I really need to get some actual practice in again before I do that, now contemplating if I wanna start up with Protoss again first or Zerg since I played both a lot. Decisions decisions...

Not remembering any of the timings/builds is really gonna kill me.

ScOULaris

I've been playing so much UMS that I haven't even touched Ladder yet, I really need to get some actual practice in again before I do that, now contemplating if I wanna start up with Protoss again first or Zerg since I played both a lot. Decisions decisions...

Not remembering any of the timings/builds is really gonna kill me.
I've been playing UMS exclusively for 20 years in SC1, and that's still the case with now with Remastered.

That being said, I might finally dabble in some melee 1v1 now that there's matchmaking. I'll wait a while for all the kinks to get worked out and let the ranks distribute themselves a bit.

Water

I thought this had cloud sync? I just installed on my computer at work, and there's absolutely no data synced from my home install - no username, no campaign progress, no hotkeys. I don't see any option to enable syncing either. I'd like the hotkeys at least...
(I haven't used the "save game" function so I don't know for sure if those would sync. But if sync was working, you'd think hotkeys and campaign progress would be more important than individual saves.)

Top Bottom