• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Constellation Edition will ship only with Digital Code. Base release has disk.

Fire This Is Fine GIF by MOODMAN

Rac3r

So no ability to buy used and/or resell.

I’ve been saying this for months now. The next step for MS will be removing physical and digital ownership entirely for new releases. Everything will be tied to digital subscriptions, and services will rapidly increase in price once they’ve established dependence on it (we’re already seeing it with Xbox service and console price hikes before Starfield). Don’t be surprised when other companies conform to the same BS.

This is why ABK needs to be blocked. Consolidation is bad for the consumer, whether it’s Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, etc.

DaGwaphics

Might as well just buy it digital.

This is the digital version for people who love a good box. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The one with the watch and the case and all that I figured, but if they've actually released Blu-ray case standard packages with a code that is certainly a choice. But, in all seriousness the disk isn't much more than a code anyway and some people love those boxes. Looks like they didn't want to do a physical release, but wanted the retail shelf space at the same time if this information is correct.

Last edited:
There's an environmental positive in not making more plastic discs. So that's one possible reason.

That's not a good enough reason. Maybe better recyclability options should exist instead?

The hilarity that comes from people thinking corporations actually care about the environment. Believe me, they don’t. And their elimination of discs makes zero difference.

They only "care" so much that they can improve their ESG scores with large investment groups, and attract more investors.

But yeah in terms of the principal, they couldn't care less. They're the biggest offenders of any greenhouse effect, climate change & excessive carbon footprints anyway (but somehow the average Joe and Jane takes the blame).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sounds like something the EU could and should fine them heavily over given the acquisition is still pretty fresh and this is clearly an anti-consumer consequence of the acquisition, because Zenimax could never afford to pull such a move because of the lost sales from consumer pushback.

this is satire right ?

right ?

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

These big corporations don’t care about the environment, but they like it when people think they do.
If not the environment then money. They could save money from not buying plastic/paper and paying manufacturing or shipping costs.

If they already sell games digitally then why not just go all digital? Plus, forcing people to buy digitally means you control the price. If you want to charge $70-80 then you can if it's the only place to purchase it. You decide when it goes on sale and for how much.

AND you wont lose money on second hand copies or sharing. 1 disc sale could be $70 but over time multiple people might play that disc. Say that disc passes through 5 people then would you rather make $70 or $350? If it passes through 10 people then you could get $700!

I know Sony had a laugh at Microsoft with the second hand game video in 2013 but don't think for a second Sony (or anyone else) give a shit about you. If they can make more money off you then they will. The only reason Sony made fun of Microsoft back then was because it benefited them.

Last edited:

Three

Putting stuff in your recycling bin doesn't mean it doesn't end up in the ocean or landfill.

Physical media is a complete waste of material and should be banned completely. We have too much plastic so if we can reduce usage then we should. The less trees we need to cut down the better. There is no point in physical games anymore so that's one thing we should get rid of ASAP.
How many game discs do you see taking up space in the landfill for them to be banned before all non-biodegradable plastic bags or food containers you throw away on a daily basis? How often would people be throwing working games away?

Krathoon

Gold Member
Yeah. Just get the game on Steam. Bethesda games are intended for the PC. They are always buggy and need fan patches.

Also, NeoGaf wins the award for most functional forum when you have a slow internet connection.

Chukhopops

We aren't talking about company choice, because financially this makes no sense, much like cancelling the PS5 version made no financial sense. This was a $7b acquisition that had to meet approval from regulators and this is anti-consumer and a negative of the acquisition. The EU would be well within their rights to force Microsoft to change their stance or fine them a large amount to discourage such anti-consumer actions for high-end AAA games, where expectation is to physically own a version on the disc and all the advantages that brings to consumers.
Based on what exactly?

Again, a lot of physical game boxes are sold today without any physical media inside. As long as it’s labeled properly there’s no legal issue.

This is giving me flashbacks of the ABK thread.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
There is ZERO reason to buy it physical, then. Just get it on game pass or steam. If you want the box on your shelf you can print out a cover insert for a plastic box.

MikeM

That's the windows store version, not the PC version.
Isn’t the windows store version a PC version? Gears 4 that I bought on Xbox I can download and play on my PC (have done it) through the Xbox app. Maybe i’m missing something…

Nydius

The Environment™

Make-Up Meme GIF by Justin

Over the last 15 years, possibly more, I’ve thrown away a whopping TWO game cases — both of which were damaged in transit and needed to be replaced. I’ve never thrown away a single disk or blu-ray.

Meanwhile, I throw away eight of my wife’s #6 plastic prescription bottles every month because her insurance won’t do 90 day supplies, no pharmacies take bottles for recycling, my municipal recycling only takes #1 and #2 plastics, and I’ve yet to find a reliable online option to recycle them.

But sure, my physical games are the problem… I’m destroying the planet with my collection of games that aren’t sitting in a landfill! :rolleyes:

DaGwaphics

These people must think all those cloud servers are powered by thin air.

Kombucha No But GIF

There are some DCs that run on green energy 24/7. Most of the major networks are already running 50% green and I believe both MS and Google have made public statements about moving to 24/7 green power. Maybe not entirely on air, though there is some of that, but on solar and hydro as well.

MikeM

I wouldn't class games stuck in the UWP wrapper as PC games.
Yeah I don’t know what any of that means. All I know is that the game has settings adjustments just like anything else I have bought off Steam.

PaintTinJr

Based on what exactly?

Again, a lot of physical game boxes are sold today without any physical media inside. As long as it’s labeled properly there’s no legal issue.

This is giving me flashbacks of the ABK thread.
Because absent the acquisition this was never happening for a high risk, new AAA IP from a company financially struggling and wanting to capture every sale possible.

It is only resulted in an anti-consumer situation because the EU approved the acquisition of a mega publisher, and had this been listed as an issue, remedies would have been sought.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah I don’t know what any of that means. All I know is that the game has settings adjustments just like anything else I have bought off Steam.

Are you going to actually buy the game or play it off of Game Pass? You have an Xbox?

GHG

Gold Member
Kombucha No But GIF

There are some DCs that run on green energy 24/7. Most of the major networks are already running 50% green and I believe both MS and Google have made public statements about moving to 24/7 green power. Maybe not entirely on air, though there is some of that, but on solar and hydro as well.

You might want to look into what "green" means and what the threshold for that definition is. As with many things, it's little more than a buzzword in many cases. The environmental impact of datacenters and cloud computing is a huge issue that is only accelerating as we become more reliant/dependant on those services.

As with many things, emissions just shift rather than become eradicated.

The problems begin the moment you want to start making any changes/adjustments to the games files. If you plan on modding the windows store version to the extent that you will be able to the normal PC version then good luck. As far as the windows store version of skyrim or fallout goes anything that involves or requires SKSE is a big fat no.

DaGwaphics

It will most likely have a disc and it was just a mistake by whomever answered that question. It's on the tweet btw.

That's certainly a real possibility, probably the most realistic one. Support agent might have just said the wrong thing.

@ GHG GHG I was just referring to electrical usage, that is true. Certainly the environmental impact of manufacturing the batteries/turbines/even the server racks etc. is another issue.

Last edited:

Zuzu

This is rubbish and it's so sad to see physical slowly passing away. Physical still has many positives. It increases competition and is often priced lower than digital versions. It can be resold and shared. It can be good for game preservation purposes and it can be good for gifting (like for giving a birthday gift).

With that said I would probably buy Starfield digitally because it's a Play Anywhere title so I could transfer the save between console and PC if I wanted to play on both some time in the future.

Last edited:

acm2000

i mean MS uses 50GB discs so even if it comes with one it wont run, its likely a 75GB odd download on top

so a disc is kinda pointless

MikeM

You might want to look into what "green" means and what the threshold for that definition is. As with many things, it's little more than a buzzword in many cases. The environmental impact of datacenters and cloud computing is a huge issue that is only accelerating as we become more reliant/dependant on those services.

As with many things, emissions just shift rather than become eradicated.

The problems begin the moment you want to start making any changes/adjustments to the games files. If you plan on modding the windows store version to the extent that you will be able to the normal PC version then good luck. As far as the windows store version of skyrim or fallout goes anything that involves or requires SKSE is a big fat no.
I never mod so that explains why I don’t see the difference. Thanks for the clarification.

Reactions: GHG
Top Bottom