• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Billbil-kun: Starfield to have multiple editions. Prices leaked.

reksveks

Isn’t that the case for all Xbox first party?
Yeah, but the prices are generally aligned on the MS store.

Otherwise you would buy on the MS "PC store" and get it for cheaper.

Maybe the PC price is the steam one.

Last edited:

reksveks

Here's hoping this is still locked in for GamePass, but I can see a future where MS does a rug pull in desperation for sales numbers and revenue.

If you play this on Game Pass does your saved game migrate if you buy a standalone copy?

Will paypigs with GamePass subs still pay for the Premium and Constellation editions for the bonus content or 72 hours of early access? Will they seethe in anger as they open their ass wallets because there's no upgrade path from GamePass?
Standalone via the MS store, yep.
Standalone via Steam, generally but it is on a game by game basis

EFWLmHi.jpg

Boss Mog

Lol 80€, nobody will pay that, they'll just get gamepass to play it. It's gonna be exactly like Halo Infinite, they are peddling those physical versions for under 10€ these days.

Lol 80€, nobody will pay that, they'll just get gamepass to play it. It's gonna be exactly like Halo Infinite, they are peddling those physical versions for under 10€ these days.
I mean there's like 2x more people playing 12 years old Skyrim right now than Hogwarts, which released a few months ago and was the.. second? best release from a single player game on Steam.

At some point many of us will have to buy the game or it'll get a bit too expensive to play it during all these years

Ar¢tos

I hope not; I haven’t finished Zelda yet and I’m already gonna have a hell of a time convincing my wife I need another $70 game within a 6 month time span. Wish me luck boys.
In 6 months it will be half price, less bugs and better performance. Why rush on a Bugthesda game?
Or get 1 or 2 months of gamepass, it's cheaper.

NickFire

Tell her you are going to take up golf instead.

Nervous Ncaa Basketball GIF by Basketball Madness
Hell YES!

Referring to the internal excuse you just gave me for every wasted dollar on MtX or games I bought prematurely. Wasn't anything more than a round of golf in spring, or 1/2 a round in summer (on vacation). Guilt GONE!

What the heck is in the constipation edition to squirt out such a price tag?!

Nowdays there are so many Collector’s Edition at 299$ and above that it’s pointless to complain or moan about that: Elden Ring, Resident Evil Village, Resident Evil 4 Remake, Armored Core 6 (there’s even a ridiculously priced edition), etc..

At least MS is including a physical copy of the game unlike Sony with God of War and Spiderman 2 CEs

Last edited:
Gonna get it on PC. Bethesda is putting a lot of money on this, get ready for milking the hell out of it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see "cosmetics in game" OR PAY TO PLAY EARLY :messenger_poop:

wind-up-middle-finger.gif

Last edited:

splattered

Especially considering, if they sell it on Steam, they have to give 30% to Valve. You'd think they'd want to incentive buying it on Xbox over PC.

You sound like you're good with money.

I'm one of those weirdos that subscribe to the service to sometimes try things out myself, let my kids have a wide range of games to try out and play, and still buy the major games i want throughout the year.

Boss Mog

I mean there's like 2x more people playing 12 years old Skyrim right now than Hogwarts, which released a few months ago and was the.. second? best release from a single player game on Steam.

At some point many of us will have to buy the game or it'll get a bit too expensive to play it during all these years
Just buy it a year or two later for 10€. Problem solved.

We’ll see, probably look on CDKeys closer to the time for a PC version. Although, if it’s cross buy, may grab a code for windows store elsewhere. I’m not paying those prices unless it’s absolutely inmissable

nemiroff

Gold Member
Different price for PC and console is weird. Is it not going to be “play anywhere” or just have a Steam tax?
I don't know which planet some of you guys come from but on my planet PC games have almost always been cheaper than console games. I'm intrigued to understand why this seems like it's a new thing to you.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
What’s the point exactly? Who would buy it when it’s “free” on gamespass.
Ownership/collection etc. people have their reasons I guess.

TBH there are games that I prefer to play outside of Gamepass even when they're there - partly it's the garbage-tier UX that MS is passing off as a 'storefront/launcher' on PC - but partly it's for games that I don't expect to finish quickly, I don't know if they'll still be on GP by the time I do.

Granted - this doesn't seem to apply to 1st party releases - so for this one, it is a valid question.

Kilau

I don't know which planet some of you guys come from but on my planet PC games have almost always been cheaper than console games. I'm intrigued to understand why this seems like it's a new thing to you.
I come from planet play anywhere, a place where buying one version gives you both so having different prices makes no sense. Unless, like I said it’s just Steam that’s higher.

You must be from planet no reading comprehension.

Nydius

I have a personal policy of buying games that are on Game Pass if I buy DLC for them. Even if they're Microsoft first party games that aren't likely to ever leave Game Pass. It's why I have copies of Forza Horizon 5 and The Outer Worlds, despite the fact that they'll likely never leave Game Pass. They may not, but I may -- and I don't want to lose access to the DLC I paid for if I decide not to keep my GP subscription going.

So if Starfield has DLC later that I buy, then I'll also buy a copy of the game, even if I'm still subbed to Game Pass.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I come from planet play anywhere, a place where buying one version gives you both so having different prices makes no sense. Unless, like I said it’s just Steam that’s higher.

You must be from planet no reading comprehension.
If you have a piano, toss it out, and a meteor goes by, why isn't the green bread standing in a pool of milk?

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm only speaking for myself, although I've seen other's say the same; I don't really care about "free" like that. I have GP Ultimate (which my kids are using more than me), but if there's a PC game on GP that I like especially well, like f.ex. MS Flight Simulator, I'd rather buy the full "ultimate" version in my preferred platform and garden. Also generally Steam versions are to me the easiest place to mod my games.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
If you have gamepass, can you pay a small fee to get any unlocks that come with the higher tiered versions?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If you have gamepass, can you pay a small fee to get any unlocks that come with the higher tiered versions?

Honestly, depends on the publisher but yes a lot of games do put up the deluxe edition content as separate DLC at or after the release.

mdkirby

I'm only speaking for myself, although I've seen other's say the same; I don't really care about "free" like that. I have GP Ultimate (which my kids are using more than me), but if there's a PC game on GP that I like especially well, like f.ex. MS Flight Simulator, I'd rather buy the full "ultimate" version in my preferred platform and garden. Also generally Steam versions are to me the easiest place to mod my games.
Interesting. I’ve spent a good £1000+ on the ps5 on digital games in the last year, but haven’t spent a penny on the seriesX, aside from my sub to gamespass ultimate. It doesn’t get all that much use, but just enough to justify having it. I’ve bought a couple of games that were available on gamespass on ps5 simply as they made good use of the dual sense. I can see why collectors would buy a physical version, but choosing to buy the digital version when it’s included just makes no sense to me 🤷‍♂️. Each to their own tho :)

mdkirby

I have a personal policy of buying games that are on Game Pass if I buy DLC for them. Even if they're Microsoft first party games that aren't likely to ever leave Game Pass. It's why I have copies of Forza Horizon 5 and The Outer Worlds, despite the fact that they'll likely never leave Game Pass. They may not, but I may -- and I don't want to lose access to the DLC I paid for if I decide not to keep my GP subscription going.

So if Starfield has DLC later that I buy, then I'll also buy a copy of the game, even if I'm still subbed to Game Pass.
This has happened once to me, with control. Bought the dlc and then the game was removed from the service. At which point I bought it. Pretty rare tho, and with starfield it’ll never happen, I would expect all the dlc to be included at launch with GP too. If it was available for ps5 I’d have prob bought it on that tho, as I prefer the system and controller, and it’s my media center, so regularly switching over to the X on such a big game will be a pain. First world problem tho 🤣

I do the exact opposite. To me, the whole benefit of subscribing to Game Pass is not having to buy what’s offered. It’s the exact same reason you subscribe to Netflix for Stranger Things or Squid Games. The entire benefit to paying money for a service is gaining access to something that doesn’t require purchase.

And since first-party games will seemingly always stay on Game Pass, such as Starfield, same as with exclusive shows on a streaming app, there’s just no incentive for me to ever purchase separately. It’s just honestly a huge waste of money, and you don’t gain anything. The only reason to purchase content for a Game Pass title is to gain access to DLC, which normally isn’t included in Game Pass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom