• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Early Access thread | See That Standard Edition Over There? You Can Upgrade It.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neon's been fun!

53163777356_5c3ecb650e_o.png

53163978564_183e89c5e0_o.png

Last edited:
I'm just gonna hunt pirates to get better ship since i'm not interested in building one.
Well you can't steal a ship you don't have certification for, so you at least have to put points in the skill, otherwise you'll be stuck with A cert ships forever, even B cert ships are a big step up.
Yeah i don't know, they sound too goody2shoes for me.

Can i ditch their asses for another faction without problems?
Just join every faction you come across, there's no reason not to; and no don't have to be a beacon of hope when playing rangers, I've been telling them point blank all the time that I'm here to murder bad guys lol.
Marshall Blake: What did you make of the men who tried to steal the farm?

Corpses is what I made of them.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: Ranger is good to be a big asshole.
Yeah just like this lol; they scoff a bit at it saying being a ranger isn't about violence, but rules don't apply to this space scoundrel!
In the end everyone only cares about results.

I mean, to be fair, it does have 4 giant pieces of text saying "CUT HERE >>>>>" and the bars are a distinct colour from the door; saw one of those on kreet, so fairly early on in the game and immediately pulled out the cutter.
I've been using an old earth AS Val sniper rifle.
I found one with armour piercing rounds premodded and it's a beast, though it's a VSS not a Val right?

GymWolf

Well you can't steal a ship you don't have certification for, so you at least have to put points in the skill, otherwise you'll be stuck with A cert ships forever, even B cert ships are a big step up.

Just join every faction you come across, there's no reason not to; and no don't have to be a beacon of hope when playing rangers, I've been telling them point blank all the time that I'm here to murder bad guys lol.

Yeah just like this lol; they scoff a bit at it saying being a ranger isn't about violence, but rules don't apply to this space scoundrel!
In the end everyone only cares about results.

I mean, to be fair, it does have 4 giant pieces of text saying "CUT HERE >>>>>" and the bars are a distinct colour from the door; saw one of those on kreet, so fairly early on in the game and immediately pulled out the cutter.

I found one with armour piercing rounds premodded and it's a beast, though it's a VSS not a Val right?
The only use i have for the ship is being a huge inventory with me at all times, i don't really need anything advanced.

Previously i was hang up on having a bigger ship to have more bonus from companions but then i realized that i don't use the ship at all so who gives a fuck about perks and bonuses for it? :lollipop_grinning_sweat: unless the game is a son of a bitch and force you to have a big ass ship with super weapons for a story mission, but i don't think they are so stupid to force players to build ships if they don't care about it.

I literally said that i want to murder mofos during the missions and both sam coe and the chick that gives you the first mission didn't appreciated that, fuck them :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Freaking Henry "Hank" Ferraro.

Dumbass tries to rip off his employer Deimos and make all of his coworkers lose their jobs by withholding necessary equipment that you spent an hour or two getting to them. When you corner him, he takes you into the middle of nowhere (making me walk at a snail's pace and wasting my real-life time) while making it very obvious he's going to try to kill you.

I intentionally failed the Persuasion check. RIP you dumb, dumb ass.

The crafting stations are “cute” but useless. My inventory is always full but never includes the things I need for crafting stuff or upgrading weapons, suits, helmets. Ive made a couple of heath packs and a bandage that heals for 5 points. Didn’t even move the health bar I think I would need 120 of those bandages to get a decent heal.
Dude, the bandages are not for general healing. They are only to be used for lacerations / cuts.

GC_DALBEN

3 hours in, im LOVING it, the only thing that i dont like is that i have to WALK on the planet, you can fast travel after you discover a new region, theres some kind of vehicle ou something that make me move faster?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
All I have to say is fuck the Flocking Seabat. Was looking for this last animal for way too long. It was a tiny flying bird way up in the sky. To make matters worse if you dont sprint over to them to scan them the Apex killer birds swoop in and kill them first.

Another 6 hour session. Did exactly 0 main missions. Rushing the main story my ass. Im just loving doing side stuff and talking to every npc i can. Game looks so good at max settings and the music and general audio design is just lovely. This will be an easy 100+ hour game
I think you and me are on same starship. I got sucked in into the UC and Crimson Feet space drama action thriller for the past 2 days and I forgot the main quest existed. 🤣

Last edited:
unless the game is a son of a bitch and force you to have a big ass ship with super weapons for a story mission, but i don't think they are so stupid to force players to build ships if they don't care about it.
I wouldn't say the game is a "son of a bitch", by having space battles in a game about traveling through space. 🤷‍♂️
There's plenty of missions that require you destroying people in space, the "family" mission was the coolest one I did recently and it had several space battles right after one another; you will probably do fine if you're entire cargo is just filled with ship parts, but they weigh 10 each so that adds up quick.
I'm now cruising in my B cert death machine, whereas it could be a struggle in the A cert; your choice if you want to play that way, but you're are missing out on a huge chunk of the game's content.
I have no idea. lol
Until today I thought both were the same gun. That old russian sniper we always see in videogames.
Lol, yes it's the VSS ;P

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Very hard is the only way to play if you don't wanna steamroll the game with your hands behind your back.

Very hard. Which if you play your cards right, get very, very, very easy.

I'm not that far in, perhaps I'll see if I can change difficulty.

I have died a couple of times, mainly because when in combat I've found myself in a corridor where I can't really get any shots on target without taking some in return.

Are you doing lots of hiding behind cover and popping out for a quick shot and wearing the baddies down? Am I doing it wrong?

GymWolf

I'm not that far in, perhaps I'll see if I can change difficulty.

I have died a couple of times, mainly because when in combat I've found myself in a corridor where I can't really get any shots on target without taking some in return.

Are you doing lots of hiding behind cover and popping out for a quick shot and wearing the baddies down? Am I doing it wrong?
No, i'm playing kinda like a normal fps, if you play as silent archer ala skyrim the game would be even easier.
Of course i get into cover if they shot at me, i'm not a moron.

Difficulty mode can be changed in the option menu wherever you want.

Last edited:
I need a mod that puts digipicks in weapons or something. Twice, I've gone out now only to discover that I'm carrying no digipicks because I either quickly dumped all of my Miscellanous inventory in the cargo hold or quickly sold it all to a vendor. What a weird place to store such a vital item.

GymWolf

I wouldn't say the game is a "son of a bitch", by having space battles in a game about traveling through space. 🤷‍♂️
There's plenty of missions that require you destroying people in space, the "family" mission was the coolest one I did recently and it had several space battles right after one another; you will probably do fine if you're entire cargo is just filled with ship parts, but they weigh 10 each so that adds up quick.
I'm now cruising in my B cert death machine, whereas it could be a struggle in the A cert; your choice if you want to play that way, but you're are missing out on a huge chunk of the game's content.

Lol, yes it's the VSS ;P
If you don't need a powerfull spaceship for 99% of the game except for a specific unmissable story mission, then yeah, that's a stupid low blow that players can't see coming.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I need a mod that puts digipicks in weapons or something. Twice, I've gone out now only to discover that I'm carrying no digipicks because I either quickly dumped all of my Miscellanous inventory in the cargo hold or quickly sold it all to a vendor. What a weird place to store such a vital item.
How do you dump all the miscellaneous in the ship in one go? I can do that with materials with RB, but i have click 3948538583848 times to get rid of the useless items.

DonJorginho

Banned
Curious about mention of NG+ .

Without spoilers can someone explain how it’ll work ? I’ve been on main story grind primarily. If I finish it, will my progress in other quests etc still be maintained or will it full repeat from scratch ?

What’s the reason to do NG+ instead of just completing a ton of content on main play through ?

I think after the next story mission I’ll focus on other major faction ones instead.
You'll lose everything but your level and skills.

You lose all quest progress, all credits, all gear and ships.

I backed out of my NG+ save and have gone back to my pre ending save, not worth it for me personally.

If you don't need a powerfull spaceship for 99% of the game except for a specific unmissable story mission, then yeah, that's a stupid low blow that players can't see coming.
The game has a ship builder...and every time you open the ship builder there's tons of powerful gear right there, and it immediately shows if you need A B or C cert, definitely not "can't see it coming" and more you ignored a huge part of the game on purpose.

GymWolf

The game has a ship builder...and every time you open the ship builder there's tons of powerful gear right there, and it immediately shows if you need A B or C cert, definitely not "can't see it coming" and more you ignored a huge part of the game on purpose.
That has nothing to do with what i said dude, you can also build outposts and shit and they are completely optional, exactly like the spaceship building.

If the game doesn't give you a reason to build a powerfull spaceship after dozens and dozens of hours, you can't expect the player to know if they need one for a difficulty story mission.

Also, the name of the game is freedom, this should never been a problem in a rpg, because many people roleplay as people who don't give a fuck about having a giant spaceship, i literally heard gaffers saying that their first run was a han solo small ship roleplay adventure, you can't force them to build a big one and waste perk on it for a story mission, it is not how it work in rpg who make freedom of approach their selling point.

The game already does this bullshit in a story mission where you need the targeting perk to disable the engines of a ship, all the people who had no spare points for perks like me had to go back, get one level worth of xp and them buy the perk just to solve the mission unless you are a god of spaceship fighting and can aim a small part of a ship with manual aiming (i'm sure is possible, also sure is not easy at all), do you see how bad this is, right?
This is bad design for a game where freedom of roleplaying is the biggest selling point, no matter how we spin it.

Last edited:
How do you dump all the miscellaneous in the ship in one go? I can do that with materials with RB, but i have click 3948538583848 times to get rid of the useless items.

I have to click through all of it, too. I just clicked too fast and didn't pay attention. I hadn't considered that digipicks would be stored with all of that junk.

clarky

Gold Member
That has nothing to do with what i said dude, you can also build outposts and shit and they are completely optional, exactly like the spaceship building.

If the game doesn't give you a reason to build a powerfull spaceship after dozens and dozens of hours, you can't expect the player to know if they need one for a difficulty story mission.

Also, the name of the game is freedom, this should never been a problem in a rpg, because many people roleplay as people who don't give a fuck about having a giant spaceship, i literally heard gaffers saying that their first run was a han solo small ship roleplay adventure, you can't force them to build a big one and waste perk on it for a story mission, it is not how it work in rpg who make freedom of approach their selling point.

The game already does this bullshit in a story mission where you need the targeting perk to disable the engines of a ship, all the people who had no spare points forcperks like me had to go back, get one level worth of xp and them buy the perk just to solve the mission unless you are a god of spaceship fighting and can aim a small part of a ship with manual aiming (i'm sure is possible, also sure is not easy at all), do you see how bad this is, right?
This is bad design for a game where freedom of roleplaying is the biggest selling point, no matter how we spin it.

Solid point.

There should be a set of base essential perks unlocked from the very beginning of the game. i got caught out like you.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This game is frigging incredible. I can't believe how I'm stumbling on stuff that turns into like a hour to an hour an a half mission. I guess these missions will appear in the main story somehow but I'm just stumbling on stuff. I've still not done the second main mission and I'm 30 hours in.

This game is easily the best Bethesda game ever.

Not really, outposts are good for gathering resources and making surveying planets much easier, if you are all about surveying planets but then complain it's hard because you ignored outpost building that's on you.

Likewise like I said you can probably make due in ship battles with the A certs, but it's probably going to be a struggle and you're just missing out on a huge chunk of the game by sticking with that struggle life; ship building doesn't even only involve building something that's bigger, the higher certs just give you better parts after you hit a wall upgrading the standard parts.
So no you don't have to build some giant ship from scratch, you can have a small death machine even smaller than the starting ship, having a big ship is just cooler and useful because you can have all your workstations on the ship with you for easy access.

you can't expect the player to know if they need one for a difficulty story mission.
Sure you can, most games with an upgrade system show you what you can expect from progressing, so how is it a surprise that even though the ship builder is full of powerful parts, you might run into tougher encounters that make good use of those parts? It would be entirely superfluous for them to even exist in that case, might as well not have ship upgrades at all in that case.

i literally heard gaffers saying that their first run was a han solo small ship roleplay adventure, you can't force them to build a big one and waste perk on it for a story mission, it is not how it work in rpg who make freedom of approach their selling point.
Like I said you can just upgrade it for a bit and fill your cargo with ship parts and you'll probably do fine, but the only "freedom" you'll have then is running into struggles because you ignored one of the game's upgrade systems, you can't expect the game to look at your ship and then just spawn enemies that are weaker then you forever.

Fredrik

This Crimson Fleet questline is something special, thinking of moving my rating up to a 9/10.
I’m already at 9/10, next stop if it keeps getting better everytime I play is GOTY.

I’ve somehow managed to play 37 hours in 4 days. I don’t think that has ever happened before. I’m blown away. I only keep the score at 9/10 right now because it bums me out that I don’t really need to be in my spaceship much.

Also, at this point I’ll start using low review scores to filter out critics I can ignore going forward. If they can’t see how the good things in this game easily outweigh the bad things then I have no interest in listening to them talking about other games either.

Stunning game so far on my PC

53157706900_11e3675457_o.png

53157483754_850514e10e_o.png
Game continues to be a delight.

Even just nondescript back alleys in random towns like Akila City looks damn good:

53160619222_9a2b07609e_o.png

Neon's been fun!

53163777356_5c3ecb650e_o.png

53163978564_183e89c5e0_o.png

Now I've found myself here, caverned deep into an asteroid I landed on:

53164296129_5336623a67_o.png

I freaking LOVE that I can go from a bustling metropolis that represents the epicenter of the future of humanity, to a dingy, dusty, wild-west themed establishment out in the middle of nowhere, to a neon-lit Blade Runner-esque seedy space station where anything goes, to a mysterious, enchanted cave system buried deep within an asteroid, all within the matter of a couple of hours.

What a damn game so far.

Last edited:

Alpha Male

I have a lot to say about this game later... but for now I'm going to keep it simple and say that it's absolutely amazing!

The positives far outweigh the negatives. Sure it needs some tweaks and improvements but overall it's an awesome and unique RPG experience that only Bethesda can deliver.

By far one of my favorite games of all time that I'll be spending many more hours enjoying.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I have a lot to say about this game later... but for now I'm going to keep it simple and say that it's absolutely amazing!

The positives far outweigh the negatives. Sure it needs some tweaks and improvements but overall it's an awesome and unique RPG experience that only Bethesda can deliver.

By far one of my favorite games of all time that I'll be spending many more hours enjoying.

Ive already had enough memorable shit to know this games entering into my favourite games of all time. What a year 2023 has been.

GymWolf

Solid point.

There should be a set of base essential perks unlocked from the very beginning of the game. i got caught out like you.
I wasn't caught because i had points to spare so i could fix the problem immediately.

But i can imagine the face of people without spare points.

I'm not one to bash reviewers for their opinions, but I truly am absolutely flabbergasted by IGN and Gamespot giving this a 7 and Blessing over at Kinda Funny giving this a 3/5.

Feels like an absolute insult. I can't fathom in what world this game deserves a worse score than fucking Immortals of Aveum.

GymWolf

Not really, outposts are good for gathering resources and making surveying planets much easier, if you are all about surveying planets but then complain it's hard because you ignored outpost building that's on you.

Likewise like I said you can probably make due in ship battles with the A certs, but it's probably going to be a struggle and you're just missing out on a huge chunk of the game by sticking with that struggle life; ship building doesn't even only involve building something that's bigger, the higher certs just give you better parts after you hit a wall upgrading the standard parts.
So no you don't have to build some giant ship from scratch, you can have a small death machine even smaller than the starting ship, having a big ship is just cooler and useful because you can have all your workstations on the ship with you for easy access.

Sure you can, most games with an upgrade system show you what you can expect from progressing, so how is it a surprise that even though the ship builder is full of powerful parts, you might run into tougher encounters that make good use of those parts? It would be entirely superfluous for them to even exist in that case, might as well not have ship upgrades at all in that case.

Like I said you can just upgrade it for a bit and fill your cargo with ship parts and you'll probably do fine, but the only "freedom" you'll have then is running into struggles because you ignored one of the game's upgrade systems, you can't expect the game to look at your ship and then just spawn enemies that are weaker then you forever.
And outpost are still optional and you can beat the game without ever using outposts or farming materials or any of that.

In an rpg like this there is no forced path, every path you chose should be viable, i'm absolutely sure that they are not stupid enough to insert a main mission that only a certain group of people can complete, because the moment they do that, all the roleplaying and freedom goes out of the window.

Being forced to waste points in perks that you don't use for the entire game, just for a single mission is the opposite of what an rpg like this should be.

Like you i think that if there is a spaceship based mission, it's gonna be super easy to deal with even without specific perks or big spaceship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom