• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Early Access thread | See That Standard Edition Over There? You Can Upgrade It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reinking

Gold Member
I'm not one to bash reviewers for their opinions, but I truly am absolutely flabbergasted by IGN and Gamespot giving this a 7 and Blessing over at Kinda Funny giving this a 3/5.

Feels like an absolute insult. I can't fathom in what world this game deserves a worse score than fucking Immortals of Aveum.
I believe it deserves to be in the mid 80's but I can see other arguments for opinions both higher and lower. It is a typical Bethesda game. Great but clunky. Depending on how one weighs the pros and cons I could see the score sliding up or down significantly.

Did anyone go with Alien DNA? I thought really hard about it for the O2 boost but I was concerned that the con also impacted buffs from foods. I highly doubt I will reroll again but I never know. :)

And outpost are still optional and you can beat the game without ever using outposts or farming materials or any of that.
I didn't say you can't, I said that if you choose to do planet surveying (which are missions btw), but then ignore outpost building, you are just making it harder for yourself.
Like you i think that if there is a spaceship based mission, it's gonna be super easy to deal with even without specific perks or big spaceship.
I didn't say that, I said you're going to struggle eventually, there's no way to do the family mission in a weak ship without a ton of ship parts, or flying back and forth between shops to get repairs and ship parts, or doing something else that is a spoiler. So no not super easy to deal with, but you'll get by even if it's a struggle.

twilo99

I might have to copy the idea of a beach house...

dr3cfrgew5mb1.jpg

Last edited:

TheShocker

One suggestion I have if you are on controller is to avoid 3rd person while in combat.. it’s horrendous.

Not saying that’s what you are doing, but just in case.

I think the game has a problem with the aim assist on controller since it feels alright on mouse and key, although I had to lower the sensitivity quite a bit.
I’ve tried it and it’s awful in 3rd person. No shoulder swap is a horrible mechanic.

Even 1st person seems to have some non adjustable aim acceleration.

And I feel like the aim curves are different in general look sensitivity vs aim sensitivity.

Ultra Donny

Yes and then modified it with more habs, more windows, some new weapons. And of course it's white.

mSFKOmN.jpg
Thought you would explore in a small rusty "thrash can" of a ship. Must say it looks mighty impressive.
I have only 10 h ganetime now but I look forward to be able to buy something similar myself.

There are already assets created for land vehicles, they really should add one for exploration purposes:
Screenshot-2023-09-04-110230.png
I mean it has to be coming in a future update. And I will happily buy it when it does. I feel like this game has so much flexibility. They could just add things to some of the existing worlds. Expansions could just be beacons to new areas or already existing ones. I only see Starfield getting waaaaay better over time. The bones are already amazing.

I have a lot to say about this game later... but for now I'm going to keep it simple and say that it's absolutely amazing!

The positives far outweigh the negatives. Sure it needs some tweaks and improvements but overall it's an awesome and unique RPG experience that only Bethesda can deliver.

By far one of my favorite games of all time that I'll be spending many more hours enjoying.
Honestly think this'll be like Skyrim, a game that I'll be coming back to just to mess around in 10 years from now.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
What started as the biggest disappointment of the year for me is now in a direct path to GOTY over armored core 6 for me.

I finished the xenomorph mission entirely. Blast from start to finish. Incredibly well told, lots of interesting choices along the way, and top shelf combat scenarios as well as loot.

What was Bethesda doing for 6 years ? Making some of the best god damn quests and stories that could’ve been a game on their own.

Todd did it again.

Dane

What started as the biggest disappointment of the year for me is now in a direct path to GOTY over armored core 6 for me.

I finished the xenomorph mission entirely. Blast from start to finish. Incredibly well told, lots of interesting choices along the way, and top shelf combat scenarios as well as loot.

What was Bethesda doing for 6 years ? Making some of the best god damn quests and stories that could’ve been a game on their own.

Todd did it again.
I've seen a lot of that lately, seems that even Steam activity indicates that, it is peaking ATH right now in a monday. I didn't have issues early on though, tough it was surprisingly faster to the action than I would expect.

The contrast between the spectacular sound design and the generic music is really something.
Now I know it's difficult to write five hours of background music, but goddamn is it boring. I would like something like Mass Effect or Oblivion (the movie), not this golly gee wasn't NASA great in the 60s vibe.
I should probably replace the soundtrack with those space-inspired albums by Vangelis. Wouldn't you rather hear this while shooting up a giant moon base?

I mean it has to be coming in a future update. And I will happily buy it when it does. I feel like this game has so much flexibility. They could just add things to some of the existing worlds. Expansions could just be beacons to new areas or already existing ones. I only see Starfield getting waaaaay better over time. The bones are already amazing.

Sneak peek of a future update:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The contrast between the spectacular sound design and the generic music is really something.
Now I know it's difficult to write five hours of background music, but goddamn is it boring. I would like something like Mass Effect or Oblivion (the movie), not this golly gee wasn't NASA great in the 60s vibe.
I should probably replace the soundtrack with those space-inspired albums by Vangelis. Wouldn't you rather hear this while shooting up a giant moon base?
Jeremy Soule got cancelled, so gaming is worse off.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I don't know. Something about your comment history makes me think you haven't actually played the game. Sorry if I'm wrong.
so far i only played 1 hour, after updating the drivers perfs got better but something is missing

i'm going to give it a few months to fix their game and have some vehicles mods

but it's funny to say you haven't played the game just because i find it boring

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Todd did it again.
Doing this myself and yeah it’s way better than I expected. I thought it’d be like a few “go kill these bandits/pirates/outlaws” quests, ok now we’ll introduce the real quest plot line, couple more “go over there and kill this thing” quests, “yay you’re the hero here’s a nice gun”, nothing else really changes in the game world.

Instead it goes to 11 almost immediately and has a bunch of major twists that tie into the game’s lore and history. Loving it so far!

so far i only played 1 hour, after updating the drivers perfs got better but something is missing

i'm going to give it a few months to fix their game and have some vehicles mods

but it's funny to say you haven't played the game just because i find it boring
It's not that but more that you mention nothing specific about your experience in all your past comments. Just things that I've see people echo when they want to paint the picture that the game is trash.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
It's not that but more that you mention nothing specific about your experience in all your past comments. Just things that I've see people echo when they want to paint the picture that the game is trash.
first time i played when you put the mask to go to the ship before getting attacked i just jumped off the platform and went exploring and there was nothing, i think if there were some kind of buggy or bike the exploring would be much better instead of walking

and the other thing i don't like is basically no space exploring,
let's see in a few monts how the updates and mods will improve the game

Dynasty8

Todd did it again.

Haven't played it yet, but this is what I keep hearing. It starts out pretty slow/boring, then gets a lot better. From what I've heard from people, the more they're playing it the more they're enjoying it.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Haven't played it yet, but this is what I keep hearing. It starts out pretty slow/boring, then gets a lot better. From what I've heard from people, the more they're playing it the more they're enjoying it.
how long until you leave the boring part? or is it about the NG+?

Dynasty8

how long until you leave the boring part? or is it about the NG+?

I have no clue..haven't even played it yet. Just been hearing about people having a lot more fun around the 20-30 hour mark when more things open up vs the first few hours. I am still not sure what kinda funny was talking about with the whole NG+ aspect.

twilo99

Todd did it again.

Is the xenomorph mission part of the main story or side?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom