• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is the fifth fastest-selling game across Europe this year.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
???? He said RETAIL figures and the difference was short. He said that knowing the high% of digital sales of XS and PC sales Starfield should be above and closer to Diablo which, I remember, has a PS5 version.
This particular statement was scrutinized already and I see no point of repeating these arguments.

Rockman33

Well, yeah. No shit, you have more Xbox consoles in the wild.

Dring's obsession to paint this as a huge success in daunting.

(It is also worth noting that the game has more days of tracking due to EA, FF XVI launch tracked for 4 days)
He’s reporting data. Just like people do for literally EVERY game. Why are you and others so obsessed with painting any achievement this game has so negative.

StueyDuck

according to gaf though and the 48 threads on the same topic, "there had never been hype for a game quite like starfield" before. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I am surprised it's below jedi survivor, i was expecting it to be second at the very least.

Last edited:

Three

Was it the biggest xbox launch or the the biggest Microsoft launch? GSD includes PC/steam. Is Dring just saying that based on the all platform ranking or on individual SKU? I would have thought FH5 would outsell Starfield on xbox only.

Vroadstar

Gold Member
Jon Gries Dr Roberts GIF by DREAM CORP LLC

Chechack

Means Hogwarts Legacy was actually the game of forever thats going to define the generation

Who woukd have thought tho

StereoVsn

Not a bad showing surprisingly for Week 1 (a bit more with EA) in Europe. I mean Xbox Series isn't particularly popular there and it got beat out only on basically huge IPs like Diablo, Zelda, Harry Potter and Star Wars.

I am genuinely surprised. Let's see how sales sustain, but IMO, not a bad showing.

Chukhopops

Week 1 PC + Xbox.

It would looked really bad if it got beaten by 16, week one.
I don’t know, Final Fantasy is a pretty well known franchise with 180M units lifetime sales.

In fact every game in the ranking is based on a huge franchise except one (ok maybe two with Dead Island).

Last edited:
Good. Now ms release Hellblade 2, Fable, Avowed to the same quality wise and you get some marketshare.
Hey, good games do make difference, who could have known.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
He’s reporting data. Just like people do for literally EVERY game. Why are you and others so obsessed with painting any achievement this game has so negative.
I mean, is he wrong? The headline is about a game that's #5 on the list, which doesn't make any sense. Like what is the criteria?

Shouldn't the headline be that Hogwart's Legacy remains the fastest-selling game across Europe this year? And that's not even talking about the fact that Chris is comparing Starfield's 2-weeks sales data with other games' 1-week sales data.

Please answer it as objectively as you can.

Last edited:

Three

Not a bad showing surprisingly for Week 1 (a bit more with EA) in Europe. I mean Xbox Series isn't particularly popular there and it got beat out only on basically huge IPs like Diablo, Zelda, Harry Potter and Star Wars.

I am genuinely surprised. Let's see how sales sustain, but IMO, not a bad showing.
Europe is very PC centric so xbox series is unlikely to make a dent there and the GSD data is probably mostly steam/PC. I also suspect that FH5 was more popular on xbox even though Starfield is likely to have outperformed it on PC to rank higher.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

1. This is essentially 2 weeks worth of data, comparing with most other games 1-week worth of sales data.
  2. This also includes PC software sales, so Xbox's market share in EU is not a limiting factor.

Last edited:
Widely reported to be $200m.

Someone here said that it would have made that back based on premium edition sales on steam and Xbox and premium edition upgrades for Gamepass players.
It's definitely closer to 400 million and that is before marketing costs. Starfield was in development for 8 years with 500 Bethesda developers working on it. That is a crazy amount of resources dedicated to one game. It's double the amount of developers who made Horizon Forbidden West and TLOU2 combined

Last edited:

Darsxx82

I mean, is he wrong? The headline is about a game that's #5 on the list, which doesn't make any sense. Like what is the criteria?

Shouldn't the headline be that Hogwart's Legacy remains the fastest-selling game across Europe this year? And that's not even talking about the fact that Chris is comparing Starfield's 2-weeks sales data with other games' 1-week sales data.

Please answer it as objectively as you can.

What you describe is not reality. This is not an extra week of sales, these are early game sales.

The vast majority of those sales are preorders before the oficial launch date. Imagine the sense of buying a game to play in advance when the official launch has already arrived.😅

If there was no early game option, I highly doubt that the sales numbers would have been different because they are users who were going to buy the game one day yes or yes

Last edited:

OuterLimits

Well, yeah. No shit, you have more Xbox consoles in the wild.

Dring's obsession to paint this as a huge success in daunting.

(It is also worth noting that the game has more days of tracking due to EA, FF XVI launch tracked for 4 days)
About as equally tiring as the console warriors trying to claim the game is a failure in every aspect.

Last edited:
It's definitely closer to 400 million and that is before marketing costs. Starfield was in development for 8 years with 500 Bethesda developers working on it. That is a crazy amount of resources dedicated to one game. It's double the amount of developers who made Horizon Forbidden West and TLOU2 combined

Do you really think that 500 developpers has worked on it during 8 years ?? Stop with that, a small team was working on it at the beginning, it was only after fallout 76 release that the team has increased.

Dr.D00p

The first Bethesda RPG in 8 years, this should have been an industry shaking event and it seems it just wasn't. I dread to think what the budget for Starfield was.

When it comes to Bethesda RPGs, it's always a Marathon, not a sprint.

The modding community keep the games in the public consciousness long after launch.

This game will still be selling for years to come in quantities that will ensure a very robust profit.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It wasn't day 1 on game pass though as these numbers start from the beginning of the early access.

It was if you purchased the Premium upgrade. Plus what difference does it make for people who wanted to play it on Game Pass and Game Pass only? It's not like they would say fuck it and buy the game for 100 bucks on the 1st or 60 bucks on the 6th. With (supposedly) 30 mil Game Pass subscribers, there are a lot of people who experienced the game that way and these won't be counted towards 1st or 2nd or whatever week sales.

It's kind of scary that Starfield is the only new IP on that list. No wonder everyone is playing it safe. Regardless of how we feel about the game, we should give Bethesda props for postponing The Elder Scrolls VI / Fallout 5 to make room for something new.

Kilau

Does this include the game pass upgrade or just the ultimate standalone version from the early week?

Darsxx82

Your problem is believing that the number of developers who created TLOUS 2 and HFW are the officials of ND and Guerrilla when those games had support from others in large numbers, especially TLOUS 2...

Three

It was if you purchased the Premium upgrade. Plus what difference does it make for people who wanted to play it on Game Pass and Game Pass only? It's not like they would say fuck it and buy the game for 100 bucks on the 1st or 60 bucks on the 6th. With (supposedly) 30 mil Game Pass subscribers, there are a lot of people who experienced the game that way and these won't be counted towards 1st or 2nd or whatever week sales.
Those people count by buying it for 30 bucks within those 6 days. Not 100 or 60 bucks. So yes a fraction of that 30 mil will be counted for paying 30 bucks just to play early. Then you have the additional week from steam/PC who paid 60 bucks plus the 14 days of 100 bucks payers being tracked.

Does this include the game pass upgrade or just the ultimate standalone version from the early week?
It's both.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Those people count by buying it for 30 bucks within those 6 days. Not 100 or 60 bucks. So yes a fraction of that 30 mil will be counted for paying 30 bucks just to play early. Then you have the additional week from steam/PC who paid 60 bucks plus the 14 days of 100 bucks payers being tracked.

So in other words and like I have said before: 5th is a good place to be for a new IP that’s also on Game Pass. Not bad at all.

Elysium44

Banned

The figures include the UK, in case people are assuming 'Europe' just means the EU. I looked at the article, there is no breakdown of the numbers by country so it could be that the UK is driving most of the sales for all we know.

Saber

5th place for their biggest IP doesn't look like a sucess when according to a good amount of people this game was either a huge hype(biggest tittle of year) or the game of generation(some claiming it would increase the number of Xbox sales). What is impressive though is how people twist this differently, just like MS do saying that nothing matters except a random chart for convenience.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
What you describe is not reality. This is not an extra week of sales, these are early game sales.

The vast majority of those sales are preorders before the oficial launch date. Imagine the sense of buying a game to play in advance when the official launch has already arrived.😅

If there was no early game option, I highly doubt that the sales numbers would have been different because they are users who were going to buy the game one day yes or yes
EA access sales are different than pre-orders, my friend.

Starfield's sales data includes all pre-order sales before Sep 1 + sales between Sep 1 and 12. In comparison, most other games on this list only get preorder sales + 1-week sales.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
That is pretty bad for the first Bethesda title in 8 years… I know it’s exclusive but still… I expected this to move more units. I bet MS thought too.

Three

So in other words and like I have said before: 5th is a good place to be for a new IP that’s also on Game Pass. Not bad at all.
Sure it's done surprisingly well but that wasn't what you said. You said what difference does it make not being day one on gamepass and I said what difference it makes. It means a bunch of people who may have gamepass still paid to buy the game to be able to actually play it on "day one" and were included in these numbers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom