• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is the fifth fastest-selling game across Europe this year.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Sure it's done surprisingly well but that wasn't what you said. You said what difference does it not being day one on gamepass make and I said what difference it makes. It means a bunch of people who may have gamepass still paid to buy the game to be able to actually play it on "day one" and were included in these numbers.

Okay.

BigLee74

Lots of people nursing a wee semi over Starfield’s ‘failings’ I see.

Surely this is a decent showing for a new IP that is exclusive and on the platform with the smallest user base?

I dunno. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe internally MS would have hoped for better, but they have created a good game here that will be getting played for years to come by many more people.

FeralEcho

5th place is now celebrated as some huge win lmao

This is literally what Starfield and Xbox fanboys and defenders look like right now
YtCCxda.png

Beaten only by some of the absolute biggest IPs in the history of entertainment (and Diablo lol) while the majority of people likely played on on Gamepass is surely a crazy success story. I'm surprised it's anywhere near the top never mind above stuff like RE4 and FF16.

This game will still be selling 10 years from now and probably Zelda and maybe RE4 will be too but everything else will be long forgotten.

OuterLimits

The game was meant to be a huge hit, commercial hit. The game to bring Xbox back. GOTY. Its not. Thats classed as failure

You people live in a strange reality. Sometimes things can fall in the middle. The game is neither a runaway success Microsoft was hoping it would be, but neither is it a complete failure. It sold fairly well on Steam and apparently decently on Xbox. Plus it likely helped GamePass subscription some, but likely not to the level Microsoft hoped for.

It is a decently reviewed game with a 83 Metacritic(once again not super fantastic but hardly a failure). Being a Bethesda game it will likely have significant DLC/Expansions in the future to drive sales, and mod support will also help keep a good sized player base on PC for quite awhile.

StereoVsn

1. This is essentially 2 weeks worth of data, comparing with most other games 1-week worth of sales data.
  2. This also includes PC software sales, so Xbox's market share in EU is not a limiting factor.
1 - I already mentioned that and heck, didn't D4 and Hogwarts also have EA?
2 - So did other games but they also included PS5 sales

Its not an amazing accomplishment but Starfield is selling better then I, personally, would have expected in Europe. Big question is on sustainment or sales.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
1 - I already mentioned that and heck, didn't D4 and Hogwarts also have EA?
2 - So did other games but they also included PS5 sales

Its not an amazing accomplishment but Starfield is selling better then I, personally, would have expected in Europe. Big question is on sustainment or sales.
D4 had a similar EA, but Hogwart's only had a 3-day early access. They both are ahead of Starfield.

Games like FF16, Zelda, Dead Island 2 etc. did not have any early access period. So essentially Chris is comparing Starfield's 12-day sales with other games' 7-day (or less) sales.

Darsxx82

EA access sales are different than pre-orders, my friend.

Starfield's sales data includes all pre-order sales before Sep 1 + sales between Sep 1 and 12. In comparison, most other games on this list only get preorder sales + 1-week sales.
No, my friend. What you're trying to match is buy to get the option to play ahead of launch for a full week and that doesn't make sense.

The vast majority of EA premiums are pre-orders before the EA date. That is, those sales were already made even if there was no EA option. The reason for those sales is mainly to play early.

FeralEcho

Nah. Starfield is not a flop. That's one of narratives the Sony fanboys keep trying to push. So data like this kills that narrative lil bro
Never said it was a flop,maybe read my post again?.. I just said being 5th place is not a huge win as people are trying to make it seem which it isnt. It aint a flop but it sure ain't the grand saviour of the Xbox brand fanboys were making it out to be.

Kurotri

Xbros..we won..
On a more serious note, I like seeing this because I really love the game and the divisive reception wasn't nice to see. I don't think I'd be able to stomach it if I was a dev. Here's hoping they take lessons (because even with me liking it, I have to agree with the general metacritic score) and knock it out of the park with Elder Scrolls 6.

onQ123

Many people were betting FF16 would outsell it because « who in their right mind would buy a game that’s on GamePass? »

Now the goalposts are going to grav drive to another galaxy because the game didn’t outsell Hogwarts, Diablo and Zelda, aka three gigantic licenses.
2 weeks vs 1

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Starfield and Zelda were the only first party console games to crack the top ten - and Starfield’s the only game in the top ten that’s on a subscription service that cannibalizes sales.

Not bad, despite the usual faces trying to push the narrative that it’s a failure.

Topher

Gold Member
Folks arguing over starfield sales, and i'm just sitting here seeing how chris masterfully got rid of the hardware figures without anyone batting an eye.

Maybe i'm wrong and this isn't the full report, but seems odd.

He wrote an article about software sales. I don't see the problem.

Do you really think that 500 developpers has worked on it during 8 years ?? Stop with that, a small team was working on it at the beginning, it was only after fallout 76 release that the team has increased.
8 years full production probably not. But even 5-6 years is an insane amount to cover for 500 developers. Let's say an average developer makes 80,000 a year (it's definitely higher). And even if it was just 5 years of development time that is 400 mil right there. Probably add another 100- 200 mill in marketing to boot. As I said, Starfield for sure will profit, but there's no way this game cost only 200 mil

Godot25

Banned
8 years full production probably not. But even 5-6 years is an insane amount to cover for 500 developers. Let's say an average developer makes 80,000 a year (it's definitely higher). And even if it was just 5 years of development time that is 400 mil right there. Probably add another 100- 200 mill in marketing to boot. As I said, Starfield for sure will profit, but there's no way this game cost only 200 mil
Starfield entered full production in 2020 according to Todd Howard himself.

Rockman33

I mean, is he wrong? The headline is about a game that's #5 on the list, which doesn't make any sense. Like what is the criteria?

Shouldn't the headline be that Hogwart's Legacy remains the fastest-selling game across Europe this year? And that's not even talking about the fact that Chris is comparing Starfield's 2-weeks sales data with other games' 1-week sales data.

Please answer it as objectivel
I mean, is he wrong? The headline is about a game that's #5 on the list, which doesn't make any sense. Like what is the criteria?

Shouldn't the headline be that Hogwart's Legacy remains the fastest-selling game across Europe this year? And that's not even talking about the fact that Chris is comparing Starfield's 2-weeks sales data with other games' 1-week sales data.

Please answer it as objectively as you can.
Starfield is the fastest selling new IP in Europe 2023. Ranking 5th overall.

Is that better?

mejin

- Biggest Xbox launch this gen (better then Forza Horizon 5)
- Not counting Game Pass numbers of course

I think he took personal cause people called him out last week lol

The problem is he continues the trolling.

"Starfield is the fifth fastest-selling game across Europe this year."

Fantastic news considering it is on GP!

"Starfield was technically on sale for longer due to the early access."

Oh...so it has more than 10 days on sales against a proper week one sales of all the others games...

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I think he took personal cause people called him out last week lol

The problem is he continues the trolling.

"Starfield is the fifth fastest-selling game across Europe this year."

Fantastic news considering it is on GP!

"Starfield was technically on sale for longer due to the early access."

Oh...so it has more than 10 days on sales againts a proper week one sales of all the others...

What did he get called out for?

Topher

Gold Member
Will have to wait and see if this is just a software sales article and not european sales report. But he doesn't often report software charts for the month without hardware.

He's reporting GSD Data. Does that usually include hardware?

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
A game doesn't need to "flop" to be seen as a disappointment, sales-wise.

The importance of whether its seen as a success or disappointment isn't judged by fanboys either, because its about what repercussions that determination has on its backer's future plans and decisions.

The question here is whether MS' brass will consider this level of success to be satisfactory, factoring in all aspects such as retail and digital sales, gamepass subs, hardware sales, etc. Because this is exactly the sort of product they'll be looking at to see if their multi-billion dollar investment was an effective use of their resources.

Its an extraordinarily important milestone for the whole Xbox division.

Ev1L AuRoN

This is the tough reality of exclusives on Xbox, gamepass cannibalize sales and the install base is smaller to begin with. Lucky for them, steam is a thing, and a lot of people rather buy their games on steam than have to deal with the shitty Xbox store on Windows.

Chukhopops

Do we have numbers though?
What I could find:

Hogwarts: 12M in the first two weeks (ww)

TotK: 10M in the first three days (ww)

Diablo: 666M USD in sales in the first 5 days so a bit less than 10M units sold?

Jedi Survivor: couldn’t find any info.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What I could find:

Hogwarts: 12M in the first two weeks (ww)

TotK: 10M in the first three days (ww)

Diablo: 666M USD in sales in the first 5 days so a bit less than 10M?

Jedi Survivor: couldn’t find any info.

So, give or take, around 7~9 million in sales, all the while launching on game pass day 1. They got that 6m+ user count a day or so after the retail release, it's probably gonna eclipse Horizon's impressive 20m before October is over.

Seems to be doing pretty well from both sales, and user engagement metric. The publishers oughta be very happy with this.

Last edited:

damidu

it was over hyped and front-loaded and will probably fall off a cliff because of muted reception.

it will be much better at this point if people can accept game was a disappointment by all metrics possible.
this was supposed to be repeat of skyrim for gods sake, capture the zeitgeist, a cultural phenomenon, bla bla…
more like ended up a fart in space.

no one will be talking about it come november.
get over it and move on.

Buggy Loop

it was over hyped and front-loaded and will probably fall off a cliff because of muted reception.

it will be much better at this point if people can accept game was a disappointment by all metrics possible.
this was supposed to be repeat of skyrim for gods sake, capture the zeitgeist, a cultural phenomenon, bla bla…
more like ended up a fart in space.

no one will be talking about it come november.
get over it and move on.

Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN

5th place is an achievment for an earth-shattering new IP? The data is also skewed, that's the problem. But I've explained everything already, I see no point of sounding like a broken record here.
You know it's on Game Pass and that the highest selling console it's releasing on can't even play a disc copy, right?

Top Bottom