• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield: SDR implementation is doodootrash

Ignore the clickbait title, I am glad you are here. Loving the game so far, but I noticed right out the gate that SDR was botched in the opening mining scene, elevated black levels, etc. In layman terms "It look washed out dawg, devoid of any life". Don't even get me started on the lack of HDR support.

However, NVIDIA Game filter to the rescue!

I've configured the following (hit ALT+F3 for Game Filter):

Sharpening filter
50% intensity
15% ignore film grain

Brightness/Contrast filter
-20% Exposure
29% Contrast
30% Highlights
69% Shadows
39% Gamma

Your mileage may vary, for me, this looks better than default on my Corsair Xenon 27QHD240 OLED.

M Mindman mentioned this mod, looks markedly better than "The Giver" filter that's been applied to it by default:

Last edited:
I'm stuck playing on Series X and hope it's either fixed or enabled, whatever. The game looks like a generation old with the flat washed out zero contrast image. I noticed it when entering the Well in New Atlantis that everything is set wonky.

tommycronin

Banned
It's terrible on Series X yeah. If you have an OLED TV like me I've got the CX turn off Dynamic Tone Mapping it makes it a lot easier on the eyes until they fix it.

Burger

It's pretty clear they are going for a specific look, and you dorks think that at all times black point should be 0 nits, and white should be 1000 nits.

If you don't like it, that's a subjective opinion - sure you can fix it but don't say it's broken, or trash, or needs to be fixed by a mod.

Senua

It's pretty clear they are going for a specific look
Yes. A bad one

norm-macdonald-norm-macdonald-laughing.gif

Burger

arrival.png

It's a look. Believe me. Harder to do in interactive form than it is in Film, which is why you can get visible boundaries or transitions between looks.

BGS worked on this game for what, 5+ years. And they made a mistake right at the end with the black levels? Get your head checked.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
yeah refuse to belive that "before" is an artistic intent or something, its simply washed out to the point of broken.
looks like how it looks, when you choose wrong black levels etc.
Looks like complete ass but wouldn’t be the first game to do this shit. And it’s definitely intentional, not some bug in the engine or something, considering they’re applying a LUT specifically to generate that effect.

Nothing like playing on an OLED capable of true blacks (which BTW look great in the menus/title screen) only to enter the game and see a gray/piss colored haze covering everything + making dark/black areas look neutral gray instead. It’s atrocious.

King Dazzar

This is the same black level look that goes beautifully with the 400 nit limited HDR on console. 🙄 With no adjustment options in HDR or SDR for brightness, contrast or gamma. Intentional or not, it needs adjustment options to be added. And the HDR to be fixed.

Lethal01

arrival.png

It's a look. Believe me. Harder to do in interactive form than it is in Film, which is why you can get visible boundaries or transitions between looks.
BGS worked on this game for what, 5+ years. And they made a mistake right at the end with the black levels? Get your head checked.

It's a look they failed to achieve and hurts the game more than just tearing it out. Games with 5 years of dev always have tons of issues, many of em simple.
Get your eyes checked.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
With how high this game was hyped and how it turned out, Bethesda is nowhere near a premiere dev at this time. They've taken a slide. I await the Elder Scrolls next as I would probably forgive the same stupid design choices more in that universe.

Elysium44

Banned
arrival.png

It can be intentional but people can still find it poor. It's like Christopher Nolan's movies which all have loud noise drowning out the dialogue. Nolan said it's a creative choice and he won't change. He blames theatres for not having good enough speaker systems. To me he's just arrogant and wants everyone to think he's really clever when in reality it's stupid.

Ulysses 31

It can be intentional but people can still find it poor. It's like Christopher Nolan's movies which all have loud noise drowning out the dialogue. Nolan said it's a creative choice and he won't change. He blames theatres for not having good enough speaker systems. To me he's just arrogant and wants everyone to think he's really clever when in reality it's stupid.
Or GOT S8E3 where it was often too dark to see what was going on in the outdoor battles and D&D said that's how it was supposed to be. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
HDR is broken too, it's locked 400 nits on console and not even an option on PC.

Funny thing, photomode filters kinda grade the SDR picture to something fairly enjoyable. I've created my reshade preset around them.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It's pretty clear they are going for a specific look, and you dorks think that at all times black point should be 0 nits, and white should be 1000 nits.

If you don't like it, that's a subjective opinion - sure you can fix it but don't say it's broken, or trash, or needs to be fixed by a mod.
So what? There’s an endless number of “creative choices” across all entertainment media that are almost universally reviled (many times even by their own creators in retrospect).

Just because something is “not broken” doesn’t make it exempt from criticism. It is trash and so is your idiotic post.

Elysium44

Banned
How did none of the 500? people working on the game for years not think of implementing a brightness / gamma setting in the game though?

The Resident Evil engine games since RE7 have the same issue, looking too washed out and soft by default but at least you can somewhat adjust it (although they made it as unintuitive as possible).

GymWolf

Yes it is.

Since i don't know how to use reshade i just have my oled with limited black for a more constrasted img but it still look bad.

call me mad i like the first look
Because the second look is way too saturated and not natural at all.

They both look bad for different reasons.

I saw some great work on reee but it was just one dude losing time with nvidia settings or reshade and he shared his settings.

Yep its a creative decision. Like an instagram filter over the visual. Its like mass effect 1 very liberal use of film grain. Hell, would not be surprise if Todd was inspired by that game specifically. The tone is very me1.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I'll definitely be using this mod. Didn't Fallout 4 have a "Piss Filter" that everyone hated?
Fallout 3 had that! And first thing I did was mod it to turn that nasty shit off.
TnASjNf.jpg

But as bad as that looked, at least it wasn’t as washed out as Starfield.

Gotta love it. We have state of the art displays with 8 million pixels, perfect blacks + HDR, and they apply these nasty post processing filters to make it look like some old 8mm film.

Wildebeest

It's a creative choice to lock you into having bad post-processing filters like not having super basic accessibility options like FOV and disable head bob in their games is a "creative choice".

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Can you share how your folder is setup and your .ini file? I can't get this to work properly.
OrKIxPh.jpg

1. extract the "data" folder there
2. add that StarfieldCustom.ini file if it's not there (you can copy/paste the other one and rename it)
3. put those lines in the .ini (just add them manually, sounds like people were having problems copy/pasting from the site because it included some invisible characters)

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
OrKIxPh.jpg

2. add that StarfieldCustom.ini file if it's not there (you can copy/paste the other one and rename it)
3. put those lines in the .ini (just add them manually, sounds like people were having problems copy/pasting from the site because it included some invisible characters)
Type those words manually too.

R6Rider

Gold Member
OrKIxPh.jpg

Thanks. Will be trying again.

Topher

Gold Member
OrKIxPh.jpg

Ah....I figured it out. ShaiKhulud1989 ShaiKhulud1989 's file worked. My file was StarfieldCustom.ini, but my extensions are being hidden so it was actually StarfiledCustom.ini.txt and didn't realize it.

Use my ini, the one from the manual is kinda broken due to some hidden code during copy-pasting.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Burger

So what? There’s an endless number of “creative choices” across all entertainment media that are almost universally reviled (many times even by their own creators in retrospect).

Just because something is “not broken” doesn’t make it exempt from criticism. It is trash and so is your idiotic post.

Yeah so the OP and all the other people saying it's defo 'Broken' or 'Botched' - they are not applying any critique. Critique is like saying you don't care for American Realism, and much prefer Impressionism for these reasons.

But you cannot just say "American Gothic is broken" because you don't like it.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Holy shit this makes a huge difference!

p74EiDC.jpg
Like a different game
kp2UeCK.jpg
E8Nb7oe.jpg

Yeah so the OP and all the other people saying it's defo 'Broken' or 'Botched' - they are not applying any critique. Critique is like saying you don't care for American Realism, and much prefer Impressionism for these reasons.

But you cannot just say "American Gothic is broken" because you don't like it.

HDR is locked on 400 nits, my man and SDR blacks are FUBAR. It is broken.

Last edited:
Top Bottom