• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield: SDR implementation is doodootrash

With how high this game was hyped and how it turned out, Bethesda is nowhere near a premiere dev at this time. They've taken a slide. I await the Elder Scrolls next as I would probably forgive the same stupid design choices more in that universe.
Lmao you thought Bethesda didn't have a ton of similar issues with Oblivion and Skyrim? They've always been rough around the edges and this is their most polished product yet.

TonyK

I'm playing in XSX in Dolby Vision, and it clearly looks better than without it. When I take a screenshot and I watch it in SDR it looks flat and dull in comparison. It remembers me The Callisto Protocol HDR implementation, also criticized for not being pure black.

Personally, I think it's intentional, but I agree I would preferred a more traditional look, with deeper blacks and pronounced contrast.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
arrival.png

It's a look. Believe me. Harder to do in interactive form than it is in Film, which is why you can get visible boundaries or transitions between looks.

BGS worked on this game for what, 5+ years. And they made a mistake right at the end with the black levels? Get your head checked.
I just popped in to appreciate Arrival and Amy Adams.

Forget SDR... how about games with female characters who are beautiful and have realistically feminine personalities?

I always point to her character in Arrival as a female lead handled perfectly: it's true that her potential for being a mother and wife frames her entire arc in the film even long before she knows it, like a riddle that gradually unwraps when she sees the future. Being mother to future child is key to who she is, the horizon of her life that brings it all into focus. But even within that arc she is intelligent and complex.

So the film actively embraces her story as distinctly belonging to a woman, rather than pretending that a female protagonist should be a palette swap for a male one, while sacrificing nothing for the character herself. It's a win-win.

An actual woman in a film whose life is shaped by her reality of being a woman... this is something you rarely see in female leads anymore, certainly never in games where the palette-swapped-male nonsense is dominant.

can confirm, here's my before/after using this mod:
PIMC0wR.jpg

aIuk2qY.jpg
I’m trying to install this now on the steam version but I’m having trouble. I pasted the data folder into the documents/my games/Starfield folder and then copy and pasted the values into the StarfieldCustom.ini text file that I made. But I’m not getting this result. It seems like nothing is happening.

I’m trying to install this now on the steam version but I’m having trouble. I pasted the data folder into the documents/my games/Starfield folder and then copy and pasted the values into the StarfieldCustom.ini text file that I made. But I’m not getting this result. It seems like nothing is happening.
NVM! I got it! It was that hidden .txt at the end of my ini file!

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The second one seems the best to me.

The yellow light sources don't seem to over saturate like the last two.

Looks the most like natural lighting and makes the the colors pop enough while appearing like reality.

What did you use to adjust the "intensity" Nvidia filters?
Those are screenshots from the page on nexus mods, it explains what those settings are

Top Bottom