• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield: SDR implementation is doodootrash

Burger

Are they games, lol?

I'm not sure what the difference is in this context. You seem to be demanding that your blacks are black, and your HDR peaks at 1000. That's fine, but it doesn't mean it's broken. I'm glad you have found a way to stretch the image to where you like, that's your prerogative.

Ignore the clickbait title, I am glad you are here. Loving the game so far, but I noticed right out the gate that SDR was botched in the opening mining scene, elevated black levels, etc. In layman terms "It look washed out dawg, devoid of any life". Don't even get me started on the lack of HDR support.

However, NVIDIA Game filter to the rescue!

I've configured the following (hit ALT+F3 for Game Filter):

Sharpening filter
50% intensity
15% ignore film grain

Brightness/Contrast filter
-20% Exposure
29% Contrast
30% Highlights
69% Shadows
39% Gamma

Your mileage may vary, for me, this looks better than default on my Corsair Xenon 27QHD240 OLED.

@Mindman mentioned this mod, looks markedly better than "The Giver" filter that's been applied to it by default:

I only have a sharpening option, how do I get the other options?

King Dazzar

Blade Runner 2049 is about 400 nits max.

Mandalorian doesn't go above 200 nits.

Are they broken too?
You're being pedantic about the use of the word broken. Using poorly HDR encoded UHD disc transfers doesn't win anyone over. Nor does insulting everyone posting about their findings and calling them names. BR 2049 rightly received a lot of flak about its HDR. Does it matter whether the encoding is considered broken or badly done by the audience? Its semantics at the end of the day.

Back to Starfield. The menus allow up to 1k nit peak luminance. But in game bizarrely does not. Which would indicate to me a potential error, rather than intended. From the luminance graphs I've seen. When the game runs, it shows elevated blacks i.e the image is rarely showing anything as deep black i.e down to minimum zero nit. So the image isnt properly using ANY black. Finally, in space set in the future I'd expect lamps and lights to be able to produce more than what a 400 nit peak luminance HDR setting conveys.

Regardless. This really should have configuration settings for both SDR and HDR. I'd like to see them implement as a minimum a brightness slider. And for HDR, if you're not going to allow the HDR to use system/OS based calibration. Then you should ideally be allowing paper white and peak HDR sliders. The implementation here is quick and dirty, regardless of the 7 year development time.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
I bet that it's just outputting limited RGB thanks to a faulty HDR implementation.
Dont have the game to prove the theory tho.

Would be cool if anyone could test that? For research purposes mostly.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I bet that it's just outputting limited RGB thanks to a faulty HDR implementation.
Dont have the game to prove the theory tho.

Would be cool if anyone could test that? For research purposes mostly.
Nope, all the menus and title screen are true black. They’re using a LUT to purposely apply that washed out gray filter to the finished image. The mod just replaces the LUT with one that’s more neutral.

Whitecrow

Banned
Nope, all the menus and title screen are true black. They’re using a LUT to purposely apply that washed out gray filter to the finished image. The mod just replaces the LUT with one that’s more neutral.
I'd like to think that that is a bug and not intentional... it cant be...

Denton

Can anyone explain why would Bethesda artists create lookup tables that make their game they spent 8 years making look like washed out piece of shit?

Do they use some unique displays on which it looks good?

Burger

You're being pedantic about the use of the word broken. Using poorly HDR encoded UHD disc transfers doesn't win anyone over. Nor does insulting everyone posting about their findings and calling them names. BR 2049 rightly received a lot of flak about its HDR. Does it matter whether the encoding is considered broken or badly done by the audience? Its semantics at the end of the day.

Back to Starfield. The menus allow up to 1k nit peak luminance. But in game bizarrely does not. Which would indicate to me a potential error, rather than intended. From the luminance graphs I've seen. When the game runs, it shows elevated blacks i.e the image is rarely showing anything as deep black i.e down to minimum zero nit. So the image isnt properly using ANY black. Finally, in space set in the future I'd expect lamps and lights to be able to produce more than what a 400 nit peak luminance HDR setting conveys.

Regardless. This really should have configuration settings for both SDR and HDR. I'd like to see them implement as a minimum a brightness slider. And for HDR, if you're not going to allow the HDR to use system/OS based calibration. Then you should ideally be allowing paper white and peak HDR sliders. The implementation here is quick and dirty, regardless of the 7 year development time.

You are completely wrong. Roger Deakins who shot Blade Runner said something along the lines of "I take issue with people saying my work would be improved if it was brighter or more saturated." It's not UHD disc transfers (what even is that) - it's creative choice. I work on feature films, finishing specifically - the amount of DoP's who do not want their films hitting 0-1000 is higher than you think. We take great care that what the colourist, the DoP, the director, whoever - what they see is what audiences see. Either theatrically or on home video.

It's clear that Starfield is simply a creative choice. People like to do 'technical analysis' of what is essentially a creative artform. Vincent Teoh is another one who suffers from this. He 'analysed' Mandalorian and said that it was broken, or wrong. Until the colourist piped up and said it was a creative choice, with him and the DoP to reference the look and feel of old Star Wars films. These guys don't give a flying fuck about your new Sony Z95 or whatever.

If I am wrong, then BSG will think "Jesus how did we mess that up after 5 years of looking at it!" - and patch it out. Or they will not. Lets see shall we?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I will probably add a filter to increase contrast a little, but there is no way I'd remove the filters completely. They look nice, which is rare for me to say about any ENB-such thing. They clearly put time and thought into tuning them in each location. The lighting is different for different stars, indirect sources, humidity levels, etc. I wouldn't just flatly remove all of that variety and feeling altogether.

These choices are all there with photography (which I did for 5 years), film (my old friends do this), painting (I work with painters professionally), drawing (think of the variety of styles in comic books/anime), etc. Not everything has to be stark and crisp. I really don't understand that mindset.

Last edited:

Killer8

You might think it was 'poorly encoded' but in the words of the film's cinematographer Roger Deakins, who also oversaw the production of the UHD release, it was intended:

What are your thoughts about HDR and your HDR work on Blade Runner 2049?

RD:
HDR for me has many issues both good and bad. In the normal world you would not be looking at a light source of 1,000 or 4,000 nits. Certainly not in the dark. Whilst it is sometimes a bonus to have the range of blacks to highlights in an image, it is all too easy for that image to become painful to look at. To take the regular DI file and transfer it directly to HDR means the contrast and saturation go ballistic. We have a number of sequences, which are a blend of yellows and reds. Without making a specific LUT to translate the normal DI to HDR these scenes skew entirely to a deep red and lose any of the subtlety they might have had. Without a lot of care you can be looking at a very different looking movie.

King Dazzar

You are completely wrong. Roger Deakins who shot Blade Runner said something along the lines of "I take issue with people saying my work would be improved if it was brighter or more saturated." It's not UHD disc transfers (what even is that) - it's creative choice. I work on feature films, finishing specifically - the amount of DoP's who do not want their films hitting 0-1000 is higher than you think. We take great care that what the colourist, the DoP, the director, whoever - what they see is what audiences see. Either theatrically or on home video.

It's clear that Starfield is simply a creative choice. People like to do 'technical analysis' of what is essentially a creative artform. Vincent Teoh is another one who suffers from this. He 'analysed' Mandalorian and said that it was broken, or wrong. Until the colourist piped up and said it was a creative choice, with him and the DoP to reference the look and feel of old Star Wars films. These guys don't give a flying fuck about your new Sony Z95 or whatever.

If I am wrong, then BSG will think "Jesus how did we mess that up after 5 years of looking at it!" - and patch it out. Or they will not. Lets see shall we?
I know all the drama around BR 2049. UHD disc transfers = HDR blu-ray discs.

We could argue this till the end of time. But unfortunately, when they implement SDR without any brightness, contrast or gamma configuration options. And then on top, implement HDR on a game and limit it to 400nit, whilst preventing the proper use of black and giving a resulting washed out image requiring mods to fix. And dont provide any configuration options at all. Then for me it is broken badly done.

As for whether BGS will fix it - going by the issues they left Skyrim with. I wouldn't read anything into them not fixing it. BGS does as BGS does. They were more than happy for the community to fix numerous scripting errors and coding bugs. If they do patch it and fix it though (which they need to imo) then it proves you're wrong of course and it was an error all along. 😉 Joke btw!

Last edited:

King Dazzar

You might think it was 'poorly encoded' but in the words of the film's cinematographer Roger Deakins, who also oversaw the production of the UHD release, it was intended:

Yeah I know, my point was that if the audience doesn't like it, then whether you use the word broken or not is semantics.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I'm loving the game but yeah, on my LG 4K TV everything looks a bit washed out and blacks are grey. No HDR as that seems to make it worse. Not sure if that's my setup or across the board. But still looks good overall.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
LOL comparing this to Blade Runner.

Blade Runner was a film noir with smoke-filled rooms that took place in a filthy, smoggy, rainy, overpopulated dystopia. Their choices of lighting and color were appropriate.

If it took place in a clean utopian cityscape during the daytime, and they applied some nasty gray filter in post-processing that washed out the color and made dark areas look a neutral gray, then everybody would’ve rightly thought it looked like ass.

StereoVsn

So there is a FOV mod now and Special K works to remove the piss filter?

Bethesda just loves that shit. Fallout 3 (and 4 really) looked like crap without removing those filters. Hell, Obsidian apparently caught the big as well, because NV also looked much better without brown filter.

kp2UeCK.jpg
E8Nb7oe.jpg
Hm...I don't know...it feels like some of the atmosphere and artistic intent is being removed.

These are unmodded shots:

MNKLZZf.png

m9yYZNq.png

xwVj6Af.jpeg

G3qoQ5d.png

Jb8ClhZ.png

rrnGTBu.png

I get what you guys are saying who like the mod, but I feel like the original colors and color grading that they're doing, are trying to go for a 70s and 80s sci-fi feel. It is sort of like the movie Alien or Blade Runner:

gsofnb8z1my41.jpg

alien-1979-screenshots-v0-gtlafaba0rja1.jpg

vlcsnap-2012-04-04-03h29m32s201.png

However, just like when Blu-rays of older films offered different versions of movies, options are options, and options are a good thing. So if you want to play it without such a feature or look to it, then I can't get mad at you for doing so.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Exploring Mars a bit now. Taking my time, looking around, listening to conversations, etc.

Really enjoying it so far, but no really wow moments yet. Most quests have been rather dull too.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
However, just like when Blu-rays of older films offered different versions of movies, options are options, and options are a good thing. So if you want to play it without such a feature or look to it, then I can't get mad at you for doing so.
Thing is, game lacks even the basic gamma/brightness slider. I'm personally all for luts that you can pick from the menu, because desaturated gamma usually a bad call for a lot of cheaper gaming laptops and displays. Not everyone owns an OLED or a quality IPS panel.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

I get what you guys are saying who like the mod, but I feel like the original colors and color grading that they're doing, are trying to go for a 70s and 80s sci-fi feel. It is sort of like the movie Alien or Blade Runner:
Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

I think there are two related, but separate issues here. For me there is the SDR presentation. Where by there is a genuine debate over the use of filters etc. And then the HDR one. For the first time in any game ever. We're meant to believe that the 400nit cap is a deliberate artistic/creative choice? I guarantee its not. I'd wager this game spent the vast majority of its development time in SDR and it was very very late on, they added in an HDR tone map for console only. And because its been poorly done, its why it takes an already debated SDR filtered image and makes it worse. HDR was clearly an after thought here.

Hopefully it gets properly added to the PC version and at the same time fixed for console. I wouldn't hold my breath though. HDR isn't always the priority I wish it was.

King Dazzar

I think it just uses AutoHDR feature on Xbox and Win 11.
OK. I've only got it installed on XSX at the moment. But its not using the conventional system Auto HDR method. Where by it would use the system level HDR calibration app settings. And you'd have the option to toggle it on and off for the game. Its not using any of the system wide Auto HDR calibration at all....

Last edited:

GHG

Hm...I don't know...it feels like some of the atmosphere and artistic intent is being removed.

These are unmodded shots:

MNKLZZf.png

m9yYZNq.png

xwVj6Af.jpeg

G3qoQ5d.png

Jb8ClhZ.png

rrnGTBu.png

gsofnb8z1my41.jpg

alien-1979-screenshots-v0-gtlafaba0rja1.jpg

vlcsnap-2012-04-04-03h29m32s201.png

It's not about "artistic intent". When you watch a blu-ray or a digital 4k master of an older film both the HDR and SDR work properly, if not they would get raked over the coals by both reviewers and movie enthusiasts alike. Clearly standards in the gaming sphere are in the gutter and people want to make all kinds of excuses but fact is you can still use the entire dynamic range without needing to compromise on artistic vision. In fact, using the available dynamic range correctly would result in an enhancement of the visual experience for the customer, making the "artistic vision" more impactful.

To use your example of blade runner here is a review of the 4k master:

Colors with HDR are bright, bold, and beautiful. Black levels are deep and inky without any contrast issues allowing each frame to enjoy a terrific sense of depth. If you've got any friends out there unsure about 4K or just don't "see the point," this transfer for Blade Runner The Final Cut should be the demo disc you use to wow them.

And another one:

This has been given a new High Dynamic Range color grade (HDR-10) and is now available on the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray format. The result is simply spectacular. The increase in fine detail visible here, even given the use of anamorphic lenses, leaves no doubt whatsoever that this is full 4K. You see it in things like the texture of skin and pores on faces, the collar of Deckard’s jacket, the finish on the “Ennis House” tiles on the walls of his apartment, the backlit shimmer of Pris’ hair and the reflective material in her coat, the different fabrics of Rachel’s blouse, the sticker on the windscreen of Gaff’s Spinner, the wash of rust or paint on the side of the Tyrell Corporation building, the pictures on the sides of Bryant’s lamp shade, hell… even the lettering on Deckard’s apartment keycard, which you can now read briefly in one shot. Grain is ever-present but never excessive; it’s just right to retain the look of a proper photochemical film production. And – oh, my god – the HDR! The film’s colors are incredible – more rich and vibrant looking than ever, but always accurate. Neon glows brightly, reflections shimmer, the Spinner Police lights flash and gleam. Scott and DP Jordan Cronenweth employed copious atmospherics in their framing and staging, and the HDR enhances those such a way that a wonderful sense of depth is added to the image here. The foreground shadows are ink black, while the backlit fog and mist in the background is more luminous. In between, highlights pick out details you’ve never noticed before. Look at the depth on Roy Batty’s face as he talks about glittering C-beams near the Tanhauser Gate, the details of his face sculpted in different colored reflections. I’ve seen this film quite literally hundreds of times. I’ve never seen it looking this good before. For a cinema classic, shot on film, this 4K Ultra HD presentation is a genuine stunner.

The colour grading in this game is busted, here is a video demonstrating how fundamentally broken both the SDR and HDR is in Starfield:

They ought to fix this, that way we can get to experience their artistic vision to it's fullest.

Last edited:
It's pretty clear they are going for a specific look, and you dorks think that at all times black point should be 0 nits, and white should be 1000 nits.

If you don't like it, that's a subjective opinion - sure you can fix it but don't say it's broken, or trash, or needs to be fixed by a mod.
This is some masterful trolling sir, I rate you 8/8

You got so many replies to you thinking you were being serious too 😂

Last edited:
It's not about "artistic intent". When you watch a blu-ray or a digital 4k master of an older film both the HDR and SDR work properly, if not they would get raked over the coals by both reviewers and movie enthusiasts alike. Clearly standards in the gaming sphere are in the gutter and people want to make all kinds of excuses but fact is you can still use the entire dynamic range without needing to compromise on artistic vision. In fact, using the available dynamic range correctly would result in an enhancement of the visual experience for the customer, making the "artistic vision" more impactful.

To use your example of blade runner here is a review of the 4k master:

And another one:

The colour grading in this game is busted, here is a video demonstrating how fundamentally broken both the SDR and HDR is in Starfield:

They ought to fix this, that way we can get to experience their artistic vision to it's fullest.

I agree with the things you're saying, but I feel that there should be a better way to do things than to simply rip it out, because at that point it is modifying artistic intent. The people who worked on those blu-rays usually attempted to treat those movies with care so that you wouldn't get a wildly different image than what you would have seen in theaters years ago. However, what's being posted in this thread in terms of screenshots is exactly that, a much different image than what the game is attempting for it to be, regardless of issues.

tl;dr I just want this mod to eventually improve to have a middle ground, rather than something that simply rips out color grading, lighting, and color choices due to one glaring issue.

Edit: As an example, I'll quote this post from earlier in the thread:
Holy shit this makes a huge difference!

p74EiDC.jpg

This quoted image feels like I'm looking at a different game. To me something feels very off about that, but again if you guys like it, then it is what it is I guess 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Topher

Gold Member
I agree with the things you're saying, but I feel that there should be a better way to do things than to simply rip it out, because at that point it is modifying artistic intent. The people who worked on those blu-rays usually attempted to treat those movies with care so that you wouldn't get a wildly different image that what you would have seen in theaters years ago. However, what's being posted in this thread in terms of screenshots is exactly that, a much different image than what the game is attempting for it to be, regardless of issues.

tl;dr I just want this mod to eventually improve to have a middle ground, rather than something that simply rips out color grading, lighting, and color choices due to one glaring issue.

This quoted image feels like I'm looking at a different game. To me something feels very off about that, but again if you guys like it, then it is what it is I guess 🤷‍♂️

I mean....this isn't that much different than adjusting film grain intensity in game (which I dropped to zero). When artistic intent is already handed over to multiple graphical sliders then I really don't see what is off about any changes at all, personally. This isn't a piece of art in a gallery that I am modifying regardless of how others feel about the change. This is just for me.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
✅ piss filter
✅ raised blacks
✅ film grain

Man all it needs is chromatic aberration to complete the collection of “retarded post processing effects that ruin image quality”. Hopefully someone will make a mod for that.

Akuji

It can be intentional but people can still find it poor. It's like Christopher Nolan's movies which all have loud noise drowning out the dialogue. Nolan said it's a creative choice and he won't change. He blames theatres for not having good enough speaker systems. To me he's just arrogant and wants everyone to think he's really clever when in reality it's stupid.
Watched dark knight again last week. Even with my Center behind the screen and no peq to adjust it, i had 0 problems with dialog.

But my Center is as good as speakers get. So maybe nolan is right but doesnt make his decision right because 99.9999÷ dont have a system like that

For starfield. That looks flat out horrible, lol.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

✅ piss filter
✅ raised blacks
✅ film grain

Man all it needs is chromatic aberration to complete the collection of “retarded post processing effects that ruin image quality”. Hopefully someone will make a mod for that.
I guess you could add FXAA to the list and have it nice and blurry too. 😁

GHG

I agree with the things you're saying, but I feel that there should be a better way to do things than to simply rip it out, because at that point it is modifying artistic intent. The people who worked on those blu-rays usually attempted to treat those movies with care so that you wouldn't get a wildly different image than what you would have seen in theaters years ago. However, what's being posted in this thread in terms of screenshots is exactly that, a much different image than what the game is attempting for it to be, regardless of issues.

Yeh understand your point. The best solution for all would be for them to master the SDR and HDR correctly (without raised blacks and with correct luminance levels), that way their artistic vision will be able to shine through to the fullest and then from there people can decide if they still want to alter things to their tastes.

Pimpbaa

Not surprising since the Creation Engine is still a PS360 era engine in 2023

No developer starts from scratch every time they make a new version of their engine. This is like saying UE5 is the same thing as UE3 for the PS360 or the current version of idtech is the same as what was used in Rage.

No developer starts from scratch every time they make a new version of their engine. This is like saying UE5 is the same thing as UE3 for the PS360 or the current version of idtech is the same as what was used in Rage.
Imagine pretending Unreal Engine or IDtech is exactly the same as Creation Engine

Pimpbaa

Imagine pretending Unreal Engine or IDtech is exactly the same as Creation Engine

You are missing the point, this isn’t the Creation Engine 1 (which itself was updated quite a bit before Creation Engine 2). that powered anything from the PS360 era. Everyone builds upon what they already have unless they switch engines completely (like CDPR from their own engine to Unreal). I mean valve started making Half LIfe 1 with the Quake 1 engine and kept modifying and modifying. And let’s not pretend that UE4 and 5 don’t have their own massive fucking issues.

Burger

Roger Deakins, DoP on Blade Runner 2049 says that any difference between the SDR version and HDR versions is 'unintentional' - i.e. HDR can fuck off into the sea. That is pretty clearly 'artistic intent' - the HDR works properly, by looking exactly how they intended it to.

The goal for film and to some extent videogames should never always aim for the highest range of exposure. The goal should be to have things look how you feel is correct. HDR allows people much greater expression - but many armchair creatives feel that the boundaries must be used. Many creatives feel they don't need to be.

Roger Deakins, DoP on Blade Runner 2049 says that any difference between the SDR version and HDR versions is 'unintentional' - i.e. HDR can fuck off into the sea. That is pretty clearly 'artistic intent' - the HDR works properly, by looking exactly how they intended it to.

The goal for film and to some extent videogames should never always aim for the highest range of exposure. The goal should be to have things look how you feel is correct. HDR allows people much greater expression - but many armchair creatives feel that the boundaries must be used. Many creatives feel they don't need to be.

We're sick of your creative decisions, Todd

Bojji

They output incorrect image and didn't even put any gamma slider in their game (something standard since 7th gen at least). They can go fuck themselves and their creative vision, give us options!

Top Bottom