• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield: SDR implementation is doodootrash

Stafford

Since I am on Series X I will either be disabling HDR and lowering the TVs black level (that's brightness on my Sony A95K) or keep HDR on and also lower TVs black level.

I watched the Direct and it wasn't nearly as washed out there. Something just isn't right. It doesn't help that not a lot of complaints seem to being sent to BGS, it should.

It's pretty clear they are going for a specific look, and you dorks think that at all times black point should be 0 nits, and white should be 1000 nits.

Yeah, basically like a 70's sci-fi movie shot on film. Personally, I think anytime devs do this kind of highly-stylized and controversial looks, they should give it a toggle option. While I don't mind this look, I also think Starfield would look amazing with HDR and strong contrast.

Stafford

Yeah, basically like a 70's sci-fi movie shot on film. Personally, I think anytime devs do this kind of highly-stylized and controversial looks, they should give it a toggle option. While I don't mind this look, I also think Starfield would look amazing with HDR and strong contrast.

I can only imagine the specular highlights in a setting like this. Damn.

Stafford

NLMeequ.jpg

That's good then.

But I wonder about SDR too. People say its intended, but why did the Direct footage looked fine? It wasn't washed out.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
From what I'm seeing online, at least in sdr, the game is authored this way.
Just as it was with resident evil 2 remake. Some people just have this weird fictional idea how contrast should look. Not enough reshade in their blood with every game

Last edited:

Stafford

Just as it was with resident evil 2 remake. Some people just have this weird fictional idea how contrast should look. Not enough reshade in their blood with every game

Well, I do get it. It's a space game and it makes sense if it's at least pitch black. Certainly not this washed out look. The way it looked in June that was fine. I also believe the teaser trailer from years ago space was as black as it gets. And apparently the main menu has proper black levels too, so it's definitely odd.

If they at least just provided brightness settings, that would go a long way. And hopefully they really fix HDR because on real good HDR tv's it can make a huge difference.

Bojji

Game doesn't show whole spectrum, black is grey. HDR is clipped to 400 nits on Xbox and absent on pc.

This is BROKEN/NOT WORKING CORRECTLY/ GARBAGE.

I don't give a shit about creators intents, game looks washed out. They developed it using shitty TN monitors from 2006 or what?

You (and I) have great OLED tv, you really want to see grey blacks on it? Not even simple gamma setting is there...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Game doesn't show whole spectrum, black is grey. HDR is clipped to 400 nits on Xbox and absent on pc.

This is BROKEN/NOT WORKING CORRECTLY/ GARBAGE.

I don't give a shit about creators intents, game looks washed out. They developed it using shitty TN monitors from 2006 or what?

You (and I) have great OLED tv, you really want to see grey blacks on it? Not even simple gamma setting is there...
No HDR on PC?!
What the hell. What are they thinking.

Of course I dont want to see grey blacks... good think I have other games to play before starfield

Bojji

No HDR on PC?!

Of course I dont want to see grey blacks... good think I have other games to play before starfield

Yep, it has broken HDR on Xbox and none on pc.

I don't know if they even want to fix it, maybe they really think it looks "better" that way.

Thankfully there are mods (and will be more) to fix this to some extend and Nvidia profiles (mentioned in op).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yep, it has broken HDR on Xbox and none on pc.

I don't know if they even want to fix it, maybe they really think it looks "better" that way.

Thankfully there are mods (and will be more) to fix this to some extend and Nvidia profiles (mentioned in op).
PC players are ignorant to HDR because they've not seen it in action.
because pc monitors sucked for so many years with worse quality and higher prices than tvs, pc players learned to not give a fuck about HDR.
And so, this is the result.

But HDR monitors are more common now. We even have oled monitors.
And as we both use, glorious oleds. Anything that's not in HDR in 2023 looks dated

Bojji

because pc monitors sucked for so many years with worse quality and higher prices than tvs, pc players learned to not give a fuck about HDR.

And as we both use, glorious oleds. Anything that's not in HDR in 2023 looks dated

Good HDR on OLED is amazing but so far I have seen only handful of games that really use it well. Final Fantasy VII remake is one example, GTA5 on PS5 too, Demons Souls... I also like Days Gone.

Most games have broken black level, developers are really super ignorant about it. As you mentioned sometimes PC version don't have HDR at all while console versions have.

What is surprising to me that there are many new games that don't have HDR at all, we are regressing here...

Stafford

Is there a plan to fix this on Series X? It currently looks horrible. Everything is so washed out.

Edit:
nvm.....I see that they are.

Let's hope so, because even if they were to fix it, we might get specular highlights but will the washed out look be gone too? Since it is washed out with SDR too.

Last edited:

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
No HDR on PC?!

On PC it uses Auto HDR and it looks quite great with the Neutral LUTs mod (blacks are blacks), reaching the 1000 nits my TV expects (calibrated in Windows with the HDR calibration tool).

The only issue is that the HUD being pure white, it's standing out, so I added a bit of transparency in the settings.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
On PC it uses Auto HDR and it looks quite great with the Neutral LUTs mod (blacks are blacks), reaching the 1000 nits my TV expects (calibrated in Windows with the HDR calibration tool).

The only issue is that the HUD being pure white, it's standing out, so I added a bit of transparency in the settings.
My experience with AUTO HDR is kinda bad... but it's worth trying

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
My experience with AUTO HDR is kinda bad... but it's worth trying
By default it looks average, but you can tune it to 100% in the Game Bar settings, the highlights go way higher (if your screen has a calibrated profile).

You can take screenshots with the Game Bar and you'll get a .jxr HDR file that you can open in the "HDR + WCG Image Viewer" app from the MS Store and see the MaxCLL value in nits to see how high the highlight go.
When not using the calibrated profile, it goes to 500 and highlights look dull, when using it goes to 1000 and looks way better.

Edgelord79

Gold Member

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

what? it's true.
HDR in pc space is almost non existent. Just as 4k
There's two realities here:

1) People who spend hundreds or over a thousand dollars on the latest in PC tech, decide to suddenly save money and skip out on the latest 1440p and 4k monitors that have HDR.

2) People who spend this large amount of money on the latest in PC tech decide to also spend more money on the latest monitors that have HDR, so that their entire setup is in sync in terms of current gen features.

You're saying that 1 is more likely than 2?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There's two realities here:

1) People who spend hundreds or over a thousand dollars on the latest in PC tech, decide to suddenly save money and skip out on the latest 1440p and 4k monitors that have HDR.

2) People who spend this large amount of money on the latest in PC tech decide to also spend more money on the latest monitors that have HDR, so that their entire setup is in sync in terms of current gen features.

You're saying that 1 is more likely than 2?
Yes absolutely nb1 is more likely.
People don't know what HDR is and they don't care about their monitor.
People really are clueless about monitors.
Nobody knows what HDR is and let alone that you have to enable it for hdr games, disable for sdr.
Pc gamers don't know how HDR works and that it makes absolutely no sense on a lcd monitor with singular backlight. The don't always understand concept of zones.

1000% people will spend a lot of money on their rig and just get some popular monitor that's usually 1440p 144hz. hopefully one of later LG models if they are lucky... but that's still not hdr.
Most do not research monitors and don't know anything about them. it's a needless expense for many.
And then they avoid 4k monitors because of some stupid reasons, completely disregarding they have 4070 in their pc and dlss exists (and what is dlss....)

I see that behavior from streamers, from users here and most of my friends and coworkers. They rarely know what HDR is and what DLSS is.
One of the guys is really keen on getting 6800xt because it's a bit cheaper than 4070... and I am trying to convince to him importance of DLSS and frame generation but it's not coming through.
And all he knows about HDR is that his tv is showing weird striped of light, so he disables it... he has 8 zones hdr tv....

as for number 2?
Sure, enthusiasts know... at least some of them. But then again, HDR is so out of pc gamers focus that it's often not a choice. They just want "IPS" and most Hz possible. 1440p because it's a perfect middle ground or whatever bs.
In my friends circle of enthusiasts, only 2 of them know how amazing HDR is and what it means to have zones or oled. One buddy got lg c1 after he saw it at my place. He also got a 4080. Other guy got a 3080 but sticks to 1080p because "he doesn't see the difference" and there is no way to tell him otherwise.

Pc gamers are stubborn and HDR is monitor tech is absolutely not engrained in their psyche.

Nobody knows what HDR is and let alone that you have to enable it for hdr games, disable for sdr.
Pc gamers don't know how HDR works and that it makes absolutely no sense on a lcd monitor with singular backlight. The don't always understand concept of zones.

1000% people will spend a lot of money on their rig and just get some popular monitor that's usually 1440p 144hz. hopefully one of later LG models if they are lucky... but that's still not hdr.
Most do not research monitors and don't know anything about them. it's a needless expense for many.
And then they avoid 4k monitors because of some stupid reasons, completely disregarding they have 4070 in their pc and dlss exists (and what is dlss....)

I see that behavior from streamers, from users here and most of my friends and coworkers. They rarely know what HDR is and what DLSS is.
One of the guys is really keen on getting 6800xt because it's a bit cheaper than 4070... and I am trying to convince to him importance of DLSS and frame generation but it's not coming through.
And all he knows about HDR is that his tv is showing weird striped of light, so he disables it... he has 8 zones hdr tv....

as for number 2?
Sure, enthusiasts know... at least some of them. But then again, HDR is so out of pc gamers focus that it's often not a choice. They just want "IPS" and most Hz possible. 1440p because it's a perfect middle ground or whatever bs.
In my friends circle of enthusiasts, only 2 of them know how amazing HDR is and what it means to have zones or oled. One buddy got lg c1 after he saw it at my place. He also got a 4080. Other guy got a 3080 but sticks to 1080p because "he doesn't see the difference" and there is no way to tell him otherwise.

Pc gamers are stubborn and HDR is monitor tech is absolutely not engrained in their psyche.
:pie_thinking:

giphy.gif

Maybe once HDR becomes more of a standard in the overall landscape of monitors, this will change over time.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
:pie_thinking:

giphy.gif

Maybe once HDR becomes more of a standard in the overall landscape of monitors, this will change over time.
Thankfully it is slowly starting now. We finally have oled monitors and most normal monitors also support HDR (badly).
One poblem I see with oled monitors of late, is no choice between HGIG and dynamic tone mapping. TVs still have that advantage.
But it's all getting there :p

Sleepwalker

Roger Deakins, DoP on Blade Runner 2049 says that any difference between the SDR version and HDR versions is 'unintentional' - i.e. HDR can fuck off into the sea. That is pretty clearly 'artistic intent' - the HDR works properly, by looking exactly how they intended it to.

The goal for film and to some extent videogames should never always aim for the highest range of exposure. The goal should be to have things look how you feel is correct. HDR allows people much greater expression - but many armchair creatives feel that the boundaries must be used. Many creatives feel they don't need to be.
Im sure washed out image and raised blacks was a creative choice, much like NPCs flying off into the air, clipping through the ceiling and floating off into space never to be seen again.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
what? it's true.
HDR in pc space is almost non existent. Just as 4k
PC players are ignorant to HDR though? I mean… that’s kind of ignorant.

Many PC players have OLEDS tvs and can see the benefits. Maybe it’s just not the priority to them it is to you?

Elysium44

Banned

as for number 2?

HDR isn't needed, and will probably end up being a fad like other failed fads such as 3D televisions.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

as for number 2?

This is my experience as well "ips 1ms respone broo its the best ips 1440p ips 1440p ips 1440p 1ms 1ms" makes my brain bleed.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
PC players are ignorant to HDR though? I mean… that’s kind of ignorant.

Many PC players have OLEDS tvs and can see the benefits. Maybe it’s just not the priority to them it is to you?
They are ignorant not by choice. I am not trying to be mean.
They are ignorant by lack of knowledge and experience.
You have to go out of your way with education and money to have good HDR experience on PC.
Only 3.5% of steam users use 4k res. How many out of that are 4k oleds? not many....
And as I've said above - the situation is slowly getting better. There are even non 4k oleds available now (i don't get the point of getting 1440p when dlss exists but whatever)

And many times over I also hear "bro tvs are slow for gaming".
bruh...
RMjAhW5.png

Edgelord79

Gold Member
You have to go out of your way with education and money to have good HDR experience on PC.
Only 3.5% of steam users use 4k res. How many out of that are 4k oleds? not many....
And as I've said above - the situation is slowly getting better. There are even non 4k oleds available now (i don't get the point of getting 1440p when dlss exists but whatever)

bruh...
RMjAhW5.png
Can’t argue with that. Makes sense! Thanks for the info!

Elysium44

Banned
SDR vs HDR and that's not even scratching it !!! (I swear, forspoken use here is accidental :p )

The thing is that it's not a fair comparison, because a game designed for HDR will typically look washed out on an SDR screen. Games before HDR was a thing, did not look washed out. Resident Evil engined games before and since RE7 are a good example of this.

I mean, I am viewing the second screenshot above on my SDR PC monitor and it looks great. Which means a game can look great on this monitor. It's a choice developers make.

There is probably a reshade mod to make Forspoken look like that, on an SDR monitor. Which means the developers could have done it if they wanted. Just like Starfield looks bad out of the box but people have fixed it with reshade.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The thing is that it's not a fair comparison, because a game designed for HDR will typically look washed out on an SDR screen. Games before HDR was a thing, did not look washed out. Resident Evil engined games before and since RE7 are a good example of this.

I mean, I am viewing the second screenshot above on my SDR PC monitor and it looks great. Which means a game can look great on this monitor. It's a choice developers make.
There is some truth to that. HDR converted to SDR looks terrible.
But dci p3 colorspace is capable of 25% more color... that and different brightness of different areas is a huge gain.

The reason that screenshot comparison works is because you are seeing a photo. The difference is only relative but there is no other way of showing that.... so while flawed, this is a good way of showing the capability.
Reshade will not be able to do that (I see your edit).

Look at uncharted example over here. It is real hdr, meaning that this cave/arch opening is very bright compared to it's surroundings. It's like 700-800 nits. It's so bright, it's almost uncomfortable when you play at night.
But when I move my phone closer, you can see the detail is there. That's not possible in SDR at all. You cannot overexpose/highlight part of the scene and yet have other areas relatively dark.
This is a totally different experience and games almost feel flat without HDR now. HDR adds colors, brightness and creates this depth to the image.
FfKNrDF.jpg

imhvcuD.jpg

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Poor implementation of HDR is poor. Good implementation of HDR is a massive improvement.

People who think HDR is only to blow out the highs and lows have been looking at the wrong things. It's an improvement of everything. Contrast gradients are better, detail is better since that is a combination of highs and lows in fine pattern, the color richness combines with the range of contrast to make film style tones and volumetric atmosphere easier to articulate, small highlights to give an accurate look to things like brushed metal and silk, etc.

I remember when Mulan 2020 was just being released for streaming. My roommate had a large top of the line SDR TV and I saw it on that, but then I got a Bravia OLED and watched on that. It was a huuuuuge difference. It looked like I could step into the screen. It's still gorgeous to me. There is nothing stopping games from intelligently using HDR at such a quality. However most design their games around SDR and then treat HDR like a screen filter to make a more garish picture.

yamaci17

bruh...
RMjAhW5.png
i dont like playing on a large tv screen

discussion ended ;)

for me its max 27" or bust. I want to be close to the screen. You can be close to your large TV as well. But I don't want to turn my head around to see stuff. nope.

so. im not being ignorant. the forspoken comparison is also hilarious. your suppoed "improved" hdr colors are actually off and it is not how the game is supposed to look like.

Last edited:

Killer8

Well, I do get it. It's a space game and it makes sense if it's at least pitch black. Certainly not this washed out look. The way it looked in June that was fine. I also believe the teaser trailer from years ago space was as black as it gets. And apparently the main menu has proper black levels too, so it's definitely odd.

If they at least just provided brightness settings, that would go a long way. And hopefully they really fix HDR because on real good HDR tv's it can make a huge difference.

I suggest you go back and watch the June presentation. The black levels in much of the gameplay shown was comparable to shots posted earlier in this thread:

March Climber's shot:

m9yyznqccf3i.png

E3:

xboxe326bd16.png

March Climber's shot:

xwvj6afobicg.jpeg

E3:

xboxe3usdc3.png

March Climber's shot:

mnklzzfh8e6z.png

E3:

xboxe3364c7m.png

It's curious how nobody seemed to have this complaint back then when it was wowing us in a presentation...

Anyway, it doesn't matter since Bethesda is looking into it and will likely add some sort of gamma slider into the game for the people who just cannot bear the art direction.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
i dont like playing on a large tv screen

discussion ended ;)

for me its max 27" or bust. I want to be close to the screen. You can be close to your large TV as well. But I don't want to turn my head around to see stuff. nope.

so. im not being ignorant. the forspoken comparison is also hilarious. your suppoed "improved" hdr colors are actually off and it is not how the game is supposed to look like.
hdr is available on smaller screens now too.
And my comparison is not hilarious. It's just a relative difference. Not absolute

yamaci17

hdr is available on smaller screens now too.
And my comparison is not hilarious. It's just a relative difference. Not absolute
techanilly there, actually not there

hdr is horrible on monitors. and never will be good. my eyes burn anything above 200 nits for example. and 400 nits screens are said to be shit. HDR OLED stuff is okay if you put some decent distance between you and screen. it is not really meant for close viewing either. u too will have eye problems sooner or later if u play too much games at close range on a high nit screen (which hdr hard requires for proper operation) be careful :D

bender

What time is it?
There is some truth to that. HDR converted to SDR looks terrible.
But dci p3 colorspace is capable of 25% more color... that and different brightness of different areas is a huge gain.

The reason that screenshot comparison works is because you are seeing a photo. The difference is only relative but there is no other way of showing that.... so while flawed, this is a good way of showing the capability.
Reshade will not be able to do that (I see your edit).

Look at uncharted example over here. It is real hdr, meaning that this cave/arch opening is very bright compared to it's surroundings. It's like 700-800 nits. It's so bright, it's almost uncomfortable when you play at night.
But when I move my phone closer, you can see the detail is there. That's not possible in SDR at all. You cannot overexpose/highlight part of the scene and yet have other areas relatively dark.
This is a totally different experience and games almost feel flat without HDR now. HDR adds colors, brightness and creates this depth to the image.
FfKNrDF.jpg

imhvcuD.jpg

noass.png

no-at-all.gif

Last edited:

Stafford

I suggest you go back and watch the June presentation. The black levels in much of the gameplay shown was comparable to shots posted earlier in this thread:

March Climber's shot:

m9yyznqccf3i.png

E3:

xboxe326bd16.png

March Climber's shot:

xwvj6afobicg.jpeg

E3:

xboxe3usdc3.png

March Climber's shot:

mnklzzfh8e6z.png

E3:

xboxe3364c7m.png

It's curious how nobody seemed to have this complaint back then when it was wowing us in a presentation...

Anyway, it doesn't matter since Bethesda is looking into it and will likely add some sort of gamma slider into the game for the people who just cannot bear the art direction.

Yeah, that looks absolutely fine to me too. But I meant this one. The first picture.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/starfield-sdr-implementation-is-doodootrash.1660571/#post-268350315

Not sure if the exact location was at the E3 footage but definitely similar, there it was way less washed out. In the June footage it showed the blonde lady in that area and that wasn't washed out like above image is.

Really though, I'm just gonna have to see for myself Wednesday. I'm gonna try it out in HDR and see how I like it with TV brightness at default, and then lower it if needed. What GamingTech showed was not good though.

Last edited:

Imagine thinking there is no such thing as PC gamers who play on TV's

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Switched from Neutral LUTs mod to this one using the "Luma" variant, it keeps the intended color grading while having the contrasts of the Neutral one, best of both worlds :

It seems like they are trying to artificially add an additional volumetric light effect with this filter.

I don't mind filters in a game like BF3 where it's supposed to look like a gritty war movie. But Bethesda did such a great job on the textures and colors in this game that it makes no sense to apply this grey filter to them.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Switched from Neutral LUTs mod to this one using the "Luma" variant, it keeps the intended color grading while having the contrasts of the Neutral one, best of both worlds :

595-1693783724-1358902906.jpeg

595-1693784086-1057151148.jpeg

595-1693784335-1198705563.jpeg

595-1693784674-18059176.jpeg

Thanks for the link, although I think I still prefer the neutral LUT over their "artistic vision.

In order these are: unmodified, 50% intensity, 0% intensity, and Luma

595-1693783724-1358902906.jpeg

595-1693784086-1057151148.jpeg

595-1693784335-1198705563.jpeg

595-1693784674-18059176.jpeg

Thanks for the link, although I think I still prefer the neutral LUT over their "artistic vision.

In order these are: unmodified, 50% intensity, 0% intensity, and Luma
The second one seems the best to me.

The yellow light sources don't seem to over saturate like the last two.

Looks the most like natural lighting and makes the the colors pop enough while appearing like reality.

What did you use to adjust the "intensity" Nvidia filters?

Montauk

I really don’t like the washed out look and I hope they buckle and patch it or add an option to disable on the Xbox.

I might wait a bit after the 6th to see if they do this.

Top Bottom