• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield will be the push i need to quit Live Service Games

Draugoth

Gold Member
Before i used to go into a store and find games, nowdays i go into a game and find a store.

Im so fucking tired of all the FOMO

Halo Infinite, Diablo 4, Battlefield 2042... What all these games have in common? They are all half finished garbage made to sell cosmetic bundles and keep you "hooked" for more content that actually end up being more paid bundles,

Instead of content that otherwise would have be free now costs thousands of dollars to buy all and are supported by idiots that pay for them to look better than the rest, i like to call them Payers instead of Players

I'm so tired of having my favourite franchises tanking in what would have been 10 years of amazing content just because 98% of players decided to quit in the first month and for the father companies to cut all the funding and force the devs to sell content for cosmetic items until they end support,

Now Starfield, Armored Core VI and Baldur's Gate 3 made me realize that gaming used to be about having fun, not paying, and they are selling dozens of millions of copies for it.

I hope all whales that support these games beach in the future, and that all this battle passes trends die alongside loot boxes did,

September 1 couldn't come sooner...

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
starfield to live service games ..........

c60.png

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Halo Infinite, Diablo 4, Battlefield 2042... What all these games have in common? They are all half finished garbage made to sell cosmetic bundles,
I know Halo is a favourite to criticise around here, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

It feels like it's got all the features people want (split screen withstanding), regularly has free battle passes that gives cosmetics to players and has the most generous paid battle pass system out there (buy one battle pass that never expires, earn enough credits to pay for the next one), all maps are obviously free.

I get that you're setting out a stall, but I don't think it's fair to criticise Halo in the way you have, yes they sell cosmetics, like pretty much every other multiplayer FPS (AFAIK), yes it took a while for forge to come out, but at this point it's probably time to get over it.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
I know Halo is a favourite to criticise around here, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

It feels like it's got all the features people want (split screen withstanding), regularly has free battle passes that gives cosmetics to players and has the most generous paid battle pass system out there (buy one battle pass that never expires, earn enough credits to pay for the next one), all maps are obviously free.

I get that you're setting out a stall, but I don't think it's fair to criticise Halo in the way you have, yes they sell cosmetics, like every other FPS (AFAIK), yes it took a while for forge to come out, but at this point it's probably time to get over it.

I agree they are the more consumer friendly of the bunch, but the better stuff is still locked behind the in-game cash shop that has no regional pricing and they still pratice FOMO tactics. All updates are too far between to actually make me enjoy it. Most of people in charge left, and the game's funding has been severly cut. All i see now is a sinking ship.

It took them two years to add Infection and they still dont have dedicated servers outside of NA, all features that were present on previous titles.

Last edited:

Salz01

Thread of truth. I actually end up playing games more that don’t have battle passes tied to them. The quality is better in games that don’t have stores in them. I really hope Starfield delivers.

DaGwaphics

In-game stores don't bother me personally as long as everything on offer is cosmetic and there is no pay 2 win component. You can basically just ignore stores like that outside of just objects that can be purchased with in-game credit.

Some of the live service addiction I think stems more from the competitive nature of many games and not the stores necessarily, taking a break to step away from one of these games could just allow other users to improve in that time making the player comparatively weaker. Although, developers definitely appear to try and increase this effect intentionally to help sell the battle passes.

Last edited:
I had a stack on the MTB 2 weeks ago and hurt my shoulder so haven't been playing on the PC so no D4 for me. I've actually had a lot of fun playing some games from my backlog on the PS5 including Remnant: From the Ashes and Hellpoint. No FOMO just straight up good fun.

You don't need to wait until September 1 to have fun. BG3 is out now and ACVI and Blasphemous 2 next week.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Don't care if its free. It's a shitty practice that transforms gaming into a soulless job.

The Battle Passes will always have a free variant and a paid one. The paid one will always be much better and be cheap so you can put in $10.

You don't play many games other than all the popular ones, do you? Lots of non service games.

Im a huge fan of Diablo and Halo, have been playing since Halo CE and Diablo 2. It was hard not to play them.

In-game stores don't bother me personally as long as everything on offer is cosmetic and there is no pay 2 win component. You can basically just ignore stores like that outside of just objects that can be purchased with in-game credit.

Some of the live service addiction I think stems more from the competitive nature of many games and not the stores necessarily, taking a break to step away from one of these games could just allow other users to improve in that time making the player comparatively weaker by comparison. Although, developers definitely appear to try and increase this effect intentionally to help sell the battle passes.

That's who they get you. They say there are no P2W elements but have this super well build in cash shop but all it takes is a single purchase in the store for you start buying more.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Oh I get it, that has nothing to do with Star field though, you could have been playing tons of other non service games.

Yes it does,

I love Bethesda games and i always sink a shiton of time into them.

Starfield is what i need to uninstal Halo: Infinite, Diablo 4 and forget they existed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
Before i used to go into a store and find games, nowdays i go into a game and find a store.

Halo Infinite, Diablo 4, Battlefield 2042... What all these games have in common? They are all half finished garbage made to sell cosmetic bundles and keep you "hooked" for more content that actually end up being more paid bundles,

Instead of content that otherwise would have be free now costs thousands of dollars to buy all and are supported by idiots that pay for them to look better than the rest, i like to call them Payers instead of Players

I'm so tired of having my favourite franchises tanking in what would have been 10 years of amazing content just because 98% of players decided to quit in the first month and for the father companies to cut all the funding and force the devs to sell content for cosmetic items until they end support,

Now Starfield, Armored Core VI and Baldur's Gate 3 made me realize that gaming used to be about having fun, not paying, and they are selling dozens of millions of copies for it.

I hope all whales that support these games beach in the future, and that all this battle passes trends die alongside loot boxes did,

While I completely understand your frustration. With all due respect, I do not believe that GaaS games are going anywhere anytime time soon. If you don't mind me asking, why do you need a specific game to quit a GaaS game? I mean, you just do it lol and quit. That's it.

The reason why I don't believe GaaS is going anywhere is simply because single player games are not really sustainable anymore due stupidly insane budgets. Look at TLOU 2, GoW, etc... thankfully Sony has built a good reputation and got a thing going for their single player games.

My most anticipated SP game besides Starfield is Death Stranding 2 and Fable. With that being said, Sony is already investing a ton of money, studios and resources into GaaS because that's where the cash flow is.

The only game I've personally spent money on GaaS wise was Fortnite. Over the course of me playing that game for 2 to 3 years I've probably was guilty of about spending close to $1000 total over that time which is not really much.

But it's a free 2 play game and there have been times where I played that game for a stupid amount of hours with friends and got my money's worth and wanted to support the developer due to my enjoyable and the cool skins that they offered. It's simply a personal choice and I don't really see what's wrong with it as it is purely cosmetic.

TLDR

- SP Titles are too expensive to make with limited return on cash and profit
- Industry has changed dramatically and some companies are changing with it (Sony as a prime example)
- Games are becoming more of a service/platform/hubs rather than a standalone one time deal.
- Whales have always existed and will continue to exist, look at the mobile game market.
- I am not defending GaaS games, just saying how the industry is and that its not going anywhere.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
I finally quit live service games for the most part this year, was addicted to FIFA Ultimate Team & Destiny 2, spending £100s every other month on currencies, DLCs, Skins etc.

I'm far more happier away from blood sucking "games" like that, and am enjoying putting that time into playing good little indie experiences and AA games that give me back way more for my money than buying some silver or FIFA points.

I still play likes of COD and FIFA (soon to be FC) but stay away from any microtransactions and am far far happier for it.

Draugoth

Gold Member
The reason why I don't believe GaaS is going anywhere is simply because single player games are not really sustainable anymore due stupidly insane budgets. Look at TLOU 2, GoW, etc... thankfully Sony has built a good reputation and got a thing going for their single player games.

My most anticipated SP game besides Starfield is Death Stranding 2 and Fable. With that being said, Sony is already investing a ton of money, studios and resources into GaaS because that's where the cash flow is.

The only game I've personally spent money on GaaS wise was Fortnite. Over the course of me playing that game for 2 to 3 years I've probably was guilty of about spending close to $1000 total over that time which is not really much.

But it's a free 2 play game and there have been times where I played that game for a stupid amount of hours with friends and got my money's worth and wanted to support the developer due to my enjoyable and the cool skins that they offered. It's simply a personal choice and I don't really see what's wrong with it as it is purely cosmetic.

TLDR

- SP Titles are too expensive to make with limited return on cash and profit
- Industry has changed dramatically and some companies are changing with it (Sony as a prime example)
- Games are becoming more of a service/platform/hubs rather than a standalone one time deal.
- Whales have always existed and will continue to exist, look at the mobile game market.
- I am not defending GaaS games, just saying how the industry is and that its not going anywhere.

I know they arent going anywhere, but i dont want to support them anymore.

While I completely understand your frustration. With all due respect, I do not believe that GaaS games are going anywhere anytime time soon. If you don't mind me asking, why do you need a specific game to quit a GaaS game? I mean, you just do it lol and quit. That's it.

I know, it's just hard to let them go.

You will understand if you have played since the glory days of Halo and Diablo.

Mr.ODST

I second this ... Halo Infinite took me 1 day to complete the limited time event and the battlepasses you can purchase and level up in at any time, the same with MCC I think they have the industry-leading way to get people invested

Last edited:

Laieon

OP, are you addicted to GAAS titles? Yeah that could be an issue.

I played Halo Infinite, Fortnite, both for about 70 hrs. That seems to be my limit with how much fun I can have with games like these.

Didn't spent anything in Halo Infinite. Got a single battle pass for Fortnite.

I had a great time and got more than what I spent on them.

That's what I did with Diablo 4. Played for about 40-50 hours, loved what I experienced, but was ready to move on to something else near the end of that. I don't think that's any fault with D4 either, because that tends to be my absolute ceiling for anything.

Maybe I'll play the occasional 70+ hour JRPG, but I certainly don't think most of them warrant being that long.

Comandr

About 100 hours into Diablo 4. Honestly the reason I quit was because it felt unfinished. The constant knee jerk changes to classes and then apology letters and rolling back said changes weeks later got me to give up.

I’ll come back in a couple years when the game is content complete. Outside of seasons ofc.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I agree they are the more consumer friendly of the bunch, but the better stuff is still locked behind the in-game cash shop that has no regional pricing and they still pratice FOMO tactics. All updates are too far between to actually make me enjoy it. Most of people in charge left, and the game's funding has been severly cut. All i see now is a sinking ship.

It took them two years to add Infection and they still dont have dedicated servers outside of NA, all features that were present on previous titles.
The gaming god heard out prayers and purged the heretics of our beloved Halo, so we may enjoy our once great franchise once again.
AATXAJyOuf0WJOzSp82PI-4f8jmDAHjapA5b7iksdp2v=s900-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I got off that treadmill real fast years ago when it was just starting to show up. Otherwise it becomes work instead of fun, because you’re chasing that carrot on the stick and ignoring other great experiences.

Granted I’m playing Diablo 4, but I’m not playing it to unlock passes. I’m playing it to beat the campaign, and then I’ll move on. This doesn’t have that same level of fun that previous Diablos had.

Vox Machina

Banned

I can respect it (even though I'm a Halo Infinite Dolphin). Honestly I see all these excesses and overreaches a product of all the free money that came out of the pandemic response from governmental fiscal departments. These type of games probably wouldn't be able to hold up in a true global recession.

Edit: Also launch Halo Infinite and current Halo Infinite are miles different. There's an argument to be made that Halo Infinite is one of the best live service games on the market today.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

I get that you're setting out a stall, but I don't think it's fair to criticise Halo in the way you have, yes they sell cosmetics, like pretty much every other multiplayer FPS (AFAIK), yes it took a while for forge to come out, but at this point it's probably time to get over it.

Yeah, Halo is essentially FOMO-free. Passes never expire, pay for themselves sorta, and has constant new maps and modes.

I buy things in Halo because I want to support what I think has been excellent work over the last two years.

Draugoth

Gold Member
I can respect it (even though I'm a Halo Infinite Dolphin). Honestly I see all these excesses and overreaches a product of all the free money that came out of the pandemic response from governmental fiscal departments. These type of games probably wouldn't be able to hold up in a true global recession.

Edit: Also launch Halo Infinite and current Halo Infinite are miles different. There's an argument to be made that Halo Infinite is one of the best live service games on the market today.

You still have the luxury of being able to pay in USD for the cosmetics,

No GaaS game has regional pricing, for the price of the most expensive bundles in the shop, i can get Armored Core VI/Baldur's Gate 3. Another reason why i'm quitting. I wish luck for the people who will stay, MCC is the better option for me. These games dont care for people outside of the UK/USA.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I've been long sick of this trend.

Right now I play FFXVI and SF6. Now, SF6 could be considered live service to some extent, but the launch package was a complete game and revisions are as old as Turbo on the SNES. Next game I buy is Armored Core, and then Starfield or BG3.

Personally I fucking hate games like Destiny. I sank a few 100 hours in the first game, and bought the expansions each time. I only never bought the Rise of Iron one and I think I already peaced out before those skins MTX became a thing.

But those games, despite offering 'new content', are actually more repetitive than many others that don't. You go through the same motions against the same enemies with pallette swaps of weapons that shoot slightly different only to end up using older OP weapons again anyway. In those DLC you even visited the same old areas to do something useless, and guess what, those areas and encounters were already boring in the original story mode. I see games like Destiny as an incredible waste of time but each to their own.

KXVXII9X

I was never big into Live Service games to begin with as I was mainly a traditional single player gamer but did play some due to how much they were pushed. Every time I would burn out and just feel stressed as I don't play games regularly to keep up with all the Meta and FOMO practices.

I also noticed three things about Live Service games that made the last bit of their appeal null. First, I noticed as I played more and more, I asked myself if I'm having fun or am I trying to grind for this next thing or that thing. I realized I wasn't really having fun and following a carrot on a stick. The content is often a lot shallower than a one and done game like Smash Bros. Ultimate vs Multiversus. Second, a lot of these game eventually shut down. It is hard to invest in a game that has the likelihood to disappear. Imagine spending actual money on a game for digital items you can no longer use. All that time spent is for nothing. You can't create your own servers or play offline. Lastly, I like to play games that I can emotionally invest myself in and I don't really find that with Live Service games. They aren't made with a beginning, middle, or end, and feel aimless.

I just hope all of these great non-live service games this year start to outsell these live service games and get gamers to want more out of their games. Not every game needs to have infinite content or is it sustainable.

I know they arent going anywhere, but i dont want to support them anymore.

I know, it's just hard to let them go.

You will understand if you have played since the glory days of Halo and Diablo.
I did play in the glory days of Halo since the OG Xbox. As far back as 1 v1 with my cousin via splitscreen at age of 11. I find Halo Infinite GaaS implementation very good. You'll never lose out on battle passes because you can choose which ones you want to progress. The gameplay itself is very good imo when it comes to mechanics and gunplay. And the multiplayer is free to play.

I don't really understand what you think is wrong with Halo Infinite's monetization system. Yeah, when game came out it took forever to level and the exp gain was kind of dumb, but I think they already addressed that. I haven't played the campaign, so I can't speak for that. But I personally really like the MP in Infinite.

I never played Diablo 2 during its prime but I did play OG Diablo and a ton of D3. None of the battle pass/season pass stuff in D4 is gameplay changing lol. I don't understand what people are upset about with it. Diablo Immortal is a different story though, that's a full on pay 2 win garbage.

Last edited:

Vox Machina

Banned
You still have the luxury of being able to pay in USD for the cosmetics,

No GaaS game has regional pricing, for the price of the most expensive bundles in the shop, i can get Armored Core VI/Baldur's Gate 3. Another reason why i'm quitting. I wish luck for the people who will stay, MCC is the better option for me. These games dont care for people outside of the UK/USA.

I get that, and I totally commiserate. That needs to change.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I agree....and also sort your FOMO out.

If you dont feel the FOMO of all the cosmetics in the store those stores will never bother you.
Its different when the stores have actually gamepay affecting items, but cosmetics and shit.....mate miss me.
Even when Battlefield brought the controversial color customizations......i never changed from default.
To this day I dont change from default in pretty much any game.

<---Is lying scoffed this armor core and coating like a bitch.

unlurkified

I’d say FOMO is only FOMO if you let it be FOMO. You can just roll as a default and still enjoy a lot of these games.

amigastar

I'm with you Draugoth Draugoth
Baldurs Gate 3 made me realize how greedy some companies are out there. Sure you can ignore the mtx but the fact they are there tells you something about how they treat you as a customer.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't understand how willing people were to jump on the Diablo 4 live service shitpile after seeing how Blizzard operated their other ones. Or why people will willingly buy one more of these while also spending significant time on other ones. They're all designed to take up all your attention and suck you in with scammy business practices.

I remember in my dark moment I bought the Rambo skin for COD BOCW. Then I go in the game and oh yea it's a FPS lmao, I can't see this guy. FOMO for cosmetics in a game designed to be a perpetual treadmill where these skins offer no value or upgrade the experience in any way is just the worst. I also remember when I overpaid for Radiohead tickets because I didn't want to miss the concert, well it was worth it because I got a great experience I still remember, what are you missing out on by not jumping on this loot grind, it doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

twilo99

I did play in the glory days of Halo since the OG Xbox. As far back as 1 v1 with my cousin via splitscreen at age of 11. I find Halo Infinite GaaS implementation very good. You'll never lose out on battle passes because you can choose which ones you want to progress. The gameplay itself is very good imo when it comes to mechanics and gunplay. And the multiplayer is free to play.

I don't really understand what you think is wrong with Halo Infinite's monetization system. Yeah, when game came out it took forever to level and the exp gain was kind of dumb, but I think they already addressed that. I haven't played the campaign, so I can't speak for that. But I personally really like the MP in Infinite.

I never played Diablo 2 during its prime but I did play OG Diablo and a ton of D3. None of the battle pass/season pass stuff in D4 is gameplay changing lol. I don't understand what people are upset about with it. Diablo Immortal is a different story though, that's a full on pay 2 win garbage.

The last season of Infinite is indeed very good.. they got the game in a decent place finally

avin

I don't see the problem with cosmetics in games, as opposed to P2W stuff. I hardly ever pay for cosmetics, but it doesn't bother me that this exists, and it's arguably a good thing. They give employment to the people who make them, and they should be bought by adults who value what they're exchanging their money for. Not so different from buying postcards, photographs, pictures, or really anything that people value for its own sake.

I think you should sort out your problems, but they're your problems.

avin

Top Bottom