• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield will be the push i need to quit Live Service Games

Draugoth

Gold Member
I'm with you Draugoth Draugoth
Baldurs Gate 3 made me realize how greedy some companies are out there. Sure you can ignore the mtx but the fact they are there tells you something about how they treat you as a customer.

I don't see the problem with cosmetics in games, as opposed to P2W stuff. I hardly ever pay for cosmetics, but it doesn't bother me that this exists, and it's arguably a good thing. They give employment to the people who make them, and they should be bought by adults who value what they're exchanging their money for. Not so different from buying postcards, photographs, pictures, or really anything that people value for its own sake.

I think you should sort out your problems, but they're your problems.

avin

The "Ignore Cash Shop" excuse simply does not work:

That's how Destiny 2 started, and now it devolved into P2W degenerancy, the fact that GaaS will focus on skin bundles every week instead of updating new free content alongside those same bundles tells me a lot about the values of the company.

And once the game becomes unprofitable anymore, it shuts down and all that money you put into it goes to the suits yatchs:

AAA games could still be very profitable, but the CEOs and boards instead prefeer to increase their paychecks anually

Last edited:

Rea

And then there's fucking Sony making GAAS instead of investing more diverse Single player games.

Oh Brother Facepalm GIF by reactionseditor

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
And then there's fucking Sony making GAAS instead of investing more diverse Single player games.
Oh Brother Facepalm GIF by reactionseditor

Marathon will be the only one standing, the rest will probably be shutting down.

Given the very first micro transaction from a full paid game was the horse armor from ... Bethesda's Oblivion, I'll would be very cautious with Starfield...

I think they seemed to have learned their lesson with F76 and The Creation Club.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
There is really no logic in complaining about microtransactions in live service or F2P games. The ongoing development and content needs to be funded.

don’t play the games instead of getting outraged at entire delivery models.

I too am afraid Starfield is going to get pushed out the door all buggy and fucked up and be like a cyberpunk or redfall situation

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Gamers need to vote with their wallet and refrain from partaking in MTX for MTX/GaaS in gaming to die. And the more you partake in it the more you say it's ok for Companies to take your money because you are saying that's what you want every time you purchase MTXs.

Why put in the effort if you will just pay money to save time/win anyway?

Ozriel

M$FT
The ongoing development of Halo Infinite:

CbPOVXr.png

9pqSYaW.png

J4g80BP.png

z4YhqpW.png

Lmao, what a bullshit response.

Halo Infinite’s MTX are for the F2P multiplayer mode that keeps getting additional content. And you’ve gone and done a dump of a feature not coming to Campaign anymore.

When have you been pushed to buy cosmetics for the single player campaign that went on sale for $60? Split screen was a campaign feature, and campaign DLC would have been a paid expansion, fully funded by the price for the DLC.

Poorly thought out response indeed.

Last edited:
I stopped playing any GAAS game required me to login daily . Its just feel like second jobs .
Hoping that the dude/dudette who invented these daily tasks/missions/rewards steps on a lego lol. Anyway, I remember a few years back while on holiday that my brother had to log in each day remotely to his PS4 in order to not miss out on some stupid RDR2 daily rewards, smh.

Filben

Glad you gonna quit it, mate, but you don't be needing Starfield for that. There are so many great, addictive and yet complete games out there without any form of FOMO or MTX.

Fuz

Banned
Given the very first micro transaction from a full paid game was the horse armor from ... Bethesda's Oblivion, I'll would be very cautious with Starfield...
Also the way they try to hinder the modding community to push paid mods.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
- Those don't give you in game stuff - stuff that in the past you obtained playing.
- But anyway, yes. I destest achievements and trophies and the whole culture behind them.

Games DO unlock things when you get achievements or attain certain things in games.

Nonetheless, my own stance is that I don't think cosmetics are worth paying for and never have. I think some of them do look really cool, but as in real life I just elect not to buy things I think aren't worth it, even if they're really cool.

I know some people really do like those cosmetic items (that's why they sell!) Is it that why you are so opposed? That you really like them and feel like you're missing out?

- Those don't give you in game stuff - stuff that in the past you obtained playing.
- But anyway, yes. I destest achievements and trophies and the whole culture behind them.
I love trophies and achievements. What is wrong with them? And how does it affect you? You can still play the game, beat it and call it a day. Do you have a problem with people enjoying aspects that you don't like?

avin

the fact that GaaS will focus on skin bundles every week instead of updating new free content alongside those same bundles tells me a lot about the values of the company.
It tells me you don't understand that different skill sets are needed to generate cosmetics versus new content.

I personally don't see it as a problem if adults choose to spend money on cosmetics, and if companies hire and pay additional artists to support this market. It's their money, not mine.

avin

M.W.

Starfield is just another game I'll play for a week or two, then move on to the next. Live service or not, if it's fun I'll play it.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I love trophies and achievements. What is wrong with them? And how does it affect you? You can still play the game, beat it and call it a day. Do you have a problem with people enjoying aspects that you don't like?
I would also like an explanation on this from the person you responded to. I don’t understand how people get so bent out of shape about trophies/achievements.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I never played Diablo 2 during its prime but I did play OG Diablo and a ton of D3. None of the battle pass/season pass stuff in D4 is gameplay changing lol. I don't understand what people are upset about with it. .

I don’t quite get it either. You can just play it like a regular Diablo game, and ignore the premium nonsense.

Imo, live service/GAAS is arguably the worst thing that happened to gaming and of course many companies are jumping on the proverbial bandwagon and are even ruining franchises. I don’t mind that they exist, but they are spreading everywhere to games that don’t benefit from them I feel. Look at Sony’s new found direction for example or some classic franchises like the OP listed.

I could never really get into GAAS mainly because they typically feel incomplete, shallow, predatory and just plain aimless. Unfortunately, the live service model ruined most fighting games as well where even when you spend hundreds of dollars, you will never own the complete experience and the extra content is usually way overpriced. Also, I hate the fact that they purposely hold back content only to sell it to you later or in a season pass at exorbitant prices.

Last edited:

DragonNCM

I don't understand people mentality......PAYING $$$ for fucking shit cosmetics & battlepasses, we gamers are reason for this......mindless bots, paying our hard earned money to greedy company's.
OPEN YOUR EYES !!!
Look what happening around you, we are free alpha testers for their unfinished games what cost 70$ & play's & looks like shit with only one thing in their mind MONEY.
They don't care about their games (except few developers what can be counted in one hand) & they will even offer you so called free to play mechanic if needed so you can play their shit show.
GASS games need to die & only ones who can do that are we, PLAYERS !!!
Don't play their GASS games, don't pay 70$ for unfinished half ass games, never pay for fucking battlepasses, send them clear message that they can't fuck with us.

Fuz

Banned
I don’t mind that they exist, but they are spreading everywhere to games that don’t benefit from them I feel.
We lost Diablo.

This is heartbreaking for me.

Pushes bad game design.
And it's stupid in itself.

Last edited:
We lost Diablo.

This is heartbreaking for me.

Pushes bad game design.
And it's stupid in itself.
How does it push bad game design? You have an example of a badly designed game due to trophies/achievements? Games are not designed arlund trophies/achievements as the core point idea. They are added after the design is finished. I believe you have 0 clue how game development works. Sorry friend, I can't take this seriously.

And how did we lose Diablo? What are you talking about? You just ignore the season pass, and Diablo always had ladders/seasons since the Diablo 2 days. Now they just added additional incentive for people to spend time and goals to achieve for cosmetics? How is this a problem? Sounds like just a hate boner for something that doesn't even change gameplay. Lol.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Imo, live service/GAAS is arguably the worst thing that happened to gaming and of course many companies are jumping on the proverbial bandwagon and are even ruining franchises. I don’t mind that they exist, but they are spreading everywhere to games that don’t benefit from them I feel. Look at Sony’s new found direction for example or some classic franchises like the OP listed.

I could never really get into GAAS mainly because they typically feel incomplete, shallow, predatory and just plain aimless. Unfortunately, the live service model ruined most fighting games as well where even when you spend hundreds of dollars, you will never own the complete experience and the extra content is usually way overpriced. Also, I hate the fact that they purposely hold back content only to sell it to you later or in a season pass at exorbitant prices.

Most of their attempts into GaaS will fail.

Fairbanks will die before it's even released. Jade Ryamond would have better luck turning it into a Left 4 Dead 2 Clone.

Sorcerer

Willing to bet your gaming happiness on Starfield? Isn't Bethesda the same company who brought us Fallout 76? Also, since so many will be playing the game on Gamepass, you can be assured Microsoft is going to do everything in their power to monetize the game as much as possible. In that regard, I see the game turning into a huge mess of a storefront within a year.

Last edited:

Solidus_T

I thought the same thing when I read the OP. This thread is confusing because Bethesda turned Fallout into a live service game with Fallout 76, and from what I know, Starfield will have micro transactions (perhaps they might not be so micro).
It doesn't mean the core game cant be good, but I'm pretty sure Starfield is going to be aggressively monetized - not comparable to Armored Core VI and Baldur's Gate 3.

Last edited:
I would also like an explanation on this from the person you responded to. I don’t understand how people get so bent out of shape about trophies/achievements.
Have you noticed how these people are not able to give proper and detailed reasoning? It's because they lack simple logic and have piss poor excuses and arguments. All of their replies are one liners and constant moaning and bitching because they have no clue how to properly form a good argument or warrant a solid discussion.

Or basically this is them in a nutshell.

Hq4XcKf.jpg

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Have you noticed how these people are not able to give proper and detailed reasoning? It's because they lack simple logic and have piss poor excuses and arguments. All of their replies are one liners and constant moaning and bitching because they have no clue how to properly form a good argument or warrant a solid discussion.

Or basically this is them in a nutshell.

Hq4XcKf.jpg
100% on that meme, lol

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Lol. The company that charged for palette swaps in Halo Infinite bought the company that charged for horse armour in Oblivion, and now they’re about to release the most anticipated game that either company has had in a decade or more on a subscription service… and you think there won’t be a literal wealth of paid cosmetic content?

This game will be monetised like nothing you’ve ever seen.

simpatico

I could never keep up with live service games. I liked Destiny 2 a lot, but just got dragged by the pace of content until I let it go. Especially since it severely punishes casual players by going to far as to remove SP content. I’d love if they just released all the missions in an SP format game somehow. I’d give $50 for it.

The Division was for me. The content was slow and I could take two weeks off without problems. Sadly, the hardcore players convinced Ubi to kick me to the curb with Division 2. The first had the perfect pace of content for the casual player.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Willing to bet your gaming happiness on Starfield? Isn't Bethesda the same company who brought us Fallout 76? Also, since so many will be playing the game on Gamepass, you can be assured Microsoft is going to do everything in their power to monetize the game as much as possible. In that regard, I see the game turning into a huge mess of a storefront within a year.

Lol. The company that charged for palette swaps in Halo Infinite bought the company that charged for horse armour in Oblivion, and now they’re about to release the most anticipated game that either company has had in a decade or more on a subscription service… and you think there won’t be a literal wealth of paid cosmetic content?

WHY YOU MUST HURT ME LIKE THIS?

aaron-paul.png

Vox Machina

Banned

Nah, just DLC and Creation Club

How does it push bad game design? You have an example of a badly designed game due to trophies/achievements? Games are not designed arlund trophies/achievements as the core point idea. They are added after the design is finished. I believe you have 0 clue how game development works. Sorry friend, I can't take this seriously.
One instance is FFX remaster. In the game there is a mini game that has Tidus dodging lightning strikes. Someone with brain fart decided to make players dodge 200 in a row to get a trophy. Square Enix is one of the worst offenders of putting terrible activity in games for those nonsensical things.

Last edited:

Killer8

I never really got into them in the first place. Show me a game I can waste 100s of hours in and i'll show you a dozen games i'd rather use the time on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom