• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starting today you can import some of your Steam games into your GOG library

Using GOG Connect, some of your Steam games will transfer over to your GOG library for free and without DRM. The service is available starting today, and while it doesn't and won't cover all the games shared between the two services, it will help you create some continuity without the need to purchase the same game twice.

Out of the gate, games from Deep Silver, Harebrained Schemes, Jonathan Blow's Number None, TaleWorlds and other publishers and developers' games will be compatible. You can find the full list of compatible games here, which currently covers games like The Witness, FTL: Faster Than Light, The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut, Galactic Civilizations 3, Trine Enchanted Edition, Saints Row 2, Shadowrun Returns, The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, and more.

GOG says the GOG Connect will be an ongoing service, the the available games will fluctuate, and some will only be available for a limited time.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Card Boy

Banned
Amazing. GOG is so good.

Current list at the moment

- The Witness
- FTL: Faster Than Light
- The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut
- Galactic Civilizations 3
- Trine Enchanted Edition
- Saints Row 2
- Shadowrun Returns
- The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

edit: they took the page down now.

https://www.gog.com/news/introducing_gog_connect

Connect your Steam account and grow or jumpstart your GOG.com library.
Today, we're launching a new program called GOG Connect. The premise is simple: connect your Steam account and add your eligible games your GOG.com library.

Whether you're checking us out for the first time or have been with us for a while, GOG
Connect gets you DRM-free versions of your games, digital extras, and a whole lot of freedom of choice (like whether you go with the GOG Galaxy client or not). It gets you our take on game ownership, and we say: why buy the games more than once?

Thanks to our awesome partners including Deep Silver, Harebrained Schemes, Jonathan Blow's Number None, TaleWorlds and more, you can now add more than 20 games to your GOG.com library if you previously purchased them on Steam.
The full list of games will always be available on connect.gog.com, starting with these and more:

- The Witness
- FTL: Faster Than Light
- The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut
- Galactic Civilizations 3
- Trine Enchanted Edition
- Saints Row 2
- Shadowrun Returns
- The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

Sadly, it's not working yet.

Interesting the Witness has supported it. They offered customers a choice between DRM free or Steam copy initially, as a response to people who buy DRM free then gift or sell the Steam key elsewhere. I believe Jon's words were worse than piracy? But now they're supporting it in a roundabout way. Maybe they've changed their tune now they made their investment back...

Also wonder if Humble is next?

Wow, this is very cool. Very few digital media services provide a service like this. Makes me ashamed I don't use GOG.com as often as I could.

Wow, this is very awesome, never thought something like this would be possible.

From technical perspective, it was always possible. Problem with services like this is that it might discourage people from buying things on your service, and buy things from "source service" instead.

epmode

I kinda wish it would go the other way as well. I could really use Steam's cloud saving for The Witcher 3. Maybe GOG will implement cloud saving on their own?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
None of the links in the OP do anything. Did they change their mind?

Joqu

I might be misremembering things but I'm pretty sure I did something like this with my Steam-purchased Witcher games a while ago?

georly

This is a smart way to get people to use GOG galaxy. I have galaxy for witcher 3 (wanted the DRM free version) and a bunch of classic point and click games, but unless i'm planning on playing them I have no use for it.

So how do I do this? I went to the gog website, and I saw a sale but no way to actually connect my accounts.

Edit: nevermind.

Today? I redeemed my Steam copy of Witcher 1 more than a year ago, back when they announced a similar thing with STALKER games and a few other titles.
How is this any different?

Justinh

I might be misremembering things but I'm pretty sure I did something like this with my Steam-purchased Witcher games a while ago?

There are some games that you buy on steam that come with a cdkey that you can redeem on other stores.

The Witcher games usually do this. Buy it on steam, redeem on GoG so you have it in two places. I'm not sure if that happened with Witcher 3, but I'm almost certain it did with Witcher 2. Just going by memory though.

This seems to happen more often with EA games, I remember Crysis 2, Alice: Madness Returns, and (I think) the first two Mass Effect games doing this.

MUnited83

For you.
Today? I redeemed my Steam copy of Witcher 1 more than a year ago, back when they announced a similar thing with STALKER games and a few other titles.
How is this any different?

This doesn't require or is limited to games with cd keys only. You just link your steam account to your gog one and the games get automatically redeemed.

jediyoshi

This is a smart way to get people to use GOG galaxy. I have galaxy for witcher 3 (wanted the DRM free version) and a bunch of classic point and click games, but unless i'm planning on playing them I have no use for it.

The Steam version of The Witcher 3 does not have DRM.

Acidote

Working now:

0pqkSrK.png

Joqu

Yeah but that was specifically for the game.

There are some games that you buy on steam that come with a cdkey that you can redeem on other stores.

The Witcher games usually do this. Buy it on steam, redeem on GoG so you have it in two places. I'm not sure if that happened with Witcher 3, but I'm almost certain it did with Witcher 2. Just going by memory though.

This seems to happen more often with EA games, I remember Crysis 2, Alice: Madness Returns, and (I think) the first two Mass Effect games doing this.

You're right, it used keys. I had forgotten about that part, this should be way more convenient. And I suppose it was also more of a Steam feature if anything, supplying you with those keys. Similar concept though

Interesting the Witness has supported it. They offered customers a choice between DRM free or Steam copy initially, as a response to people who buy DRM free then gift or sell the Steam key elsewhere. I believe Jon's words were worse than piracy? But now they're supporting it in a roundabout way. Maybe they've changed their tune now they made their investment back...

It's much easier to sell a spare game key than an account that has games with it that at any time could be closed off for whatever reason.

Not surprised that J.Blow offered his game for this service.

Tizoc

Seems to work for some people, but it isn't working for me.
Otherwise their servers must be loaded.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Oopsie, just having regular Trine gives you the Enchanted Edition on GoG. Apart from that I got me VVVVVV, Braid and Bit. Trip Runner.

Edit:

What, for real?

GoG said:
Duration will vary from game to game – the time left to redeem each game is shown on its respective product icon above.

Also:
GoG said:
Yes. Once you have imported a game, it's yours to keep. Make sure to import all of your eligible games as soon as you can!

Put that shit in the OP so more people don't think you just get some extended full game demo from doing this.

This is fantastic.

I'm liking the improvements they made to the client recently, as well.

EDIT: It doesn't work. Won't detect any of the eligible steam games I own.

Gintoki

Detected 9 games. Also it seems its a limited time offer, each time they offer a list of games that you can get a DRM-free copy on GOG.

Coreda

I wonder how they incentivize devs to do this, as it looks like the process is essentially offering free GOG.com keys versions of games for matching Steam ones (which is certainly awesome for users).

Joqu

I connected the two but it says I don't own certain games on Steam while I do, Shadowrun Returns for example. Might not be working properly yet.

Top Bottom