• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

SinsArmor

Neo Member
one a the devs in the chat just said they where gonna stream again Monday at the same time so they prob wont upload what they had today

theRizzle

From the few bits I saw it looks as rough/janky as it always did. But hey, sandbox zombie survival game :)

Yeah, visually it looks pretty rough. Models, textures and animations are all not that great.

But I won't mind that at all if the gameplay experience is deep. So here's hoping.

Yeah, visually it looks pretty rough. Models, textures and animations are all not that great.

But I won't mind that at all if the gameplay experience is deep. So here's hoping.

Exactly. If the gameplay is solid, I will look past any minor glitches (example: Minecraft).

They have said one of the problems they've had is that their simulation takes up a lot of the processing power because it's a very detailed simulation. That's why they can't have a lot of random wildlife in the environments, because that takes up a lot of memory.

It sucks they couldn't get the livestream up. :( Oh well, Monday isn't too far away.

Karak

It is deep but I think the technical issues will be the one sticking point people will make their decision on.

Ignore and enjoy or notice and passbye.

I laugh at technical issues. I've ventured into the deepest dark recesses of technical issues with Advent Rising and EDF: Insect Armageddon and came out the other end none the worse for wear...

ekim

It is deep but I think the technical issues will be the one sticking point people will make their decision on.

Ignore and enjoy or notice and passbye.

Is the game rather immersive or just pure sandbox fun? Can I, for example, get food for 7 days and fortify all survivors for that time without going outside?

Is the game rather immersive or just pure sandbox fun? Can I, for example, get food for 7 days and fortify all survivors for that time without going outside?

That wouldn't make for a very fun game.

Still, would be cool if you could do something like that.

From what they've said, I think the answer is yes. After all, they've emphasized that they're really focusing on making a great simulation that allows players to do whatever they wanted in the sandbox. If you want to horde food and see if you can survive for 7 days, you probably could.

You'd have to worry about the mental health of your survivors though. Being locked inside the base for 7 days and getting constantly attacked by zombie hordes can't be good for people. It's possible some of your survivors would just want to end it and commit suicide unless you can find ways to make them feel better. Others may just decide they won't want to be a part of you anymore if they don't trust you or like you and abandon your camp (hopefully closing the gates on the way out!).

ekim

From what they've said, I think the answer is yes. After all, they've emphasized that they're really focusing on making a great simulation that allows players to do whatever they wanted in the sandbox. If you want to horde food and see if you can survive for 7 days, you probably could.

You'd have to worry about the mental health of your survivors though. Being locked inside the base for 7 days and getting constantly attacked by zombie hordes can't be good for people. It's possible some of your survivors would just want to end it and commit suicide unless you can find ways to make them feel better. Others may just decide they won't want to be a part of you anymore if they don't trust you or like you and abandon your camp (hopefully closing the gates on the way out!).

Nice. :)

I'd actually forgotten that survivors would commit suicide or become depressed if they were unhappy.

Man, this game is going to be incredible. Really hope it's coming on Wednesday.

Plissken

Had no idea this was coming so soon, looking forward to (hopefully) playing this next week. I'll probably double dip for a PC version too, assuming it comes out.

2 minutes in and it looks pretty stable so far. No major noticeable issues, some pop in but that was expected. One thing and I'm not sure if it's the player or the game, but there's a lot of tearing. Something I didn't notice in the earlier footage...

*EDIT*

Clipping issues mentioned along with frame rate issues. Clipping can be annoying, but frame-rate issues were expected.

Oh Shit, June 5th date confirmed in the IGN video.

HOLY SHIT, HOLY SHIT, HOLY SHIT.

ganCWwR.gif

Looks like it could be really fun with co-op.

They cut co-op unfortunately. :(

Potentially it could come later, but most likely it will come in Class 4.

And to clarify for those who are new to the game, they have planned two games from the start.

Class 3 (now known as State of Decay) is their first step. It has a huge simulation and is supposed to encourage sandbox gameplay. It's the basis for gameplay elements they will use in Class 4. They will see what people like, what sucks, etc.

Class 4 is their next-game. It's going to be State of Decay, but basically an MMO. They're going to build off the gameplay elements they have in Class 3, improve the parts that sucks, and also expand it greatly (adding multiplayer will be huge in a sandbox game like this). I'm sure they're just at the planning stages for this, and we likely won't see anything until 2015 at the earliest if I had to guess (more likely 2016 based on how the development of State of Decay has gone).

Trigger

Have they stated if the game has a set "end", or does it just continue infinitely? The game could get boring if the stakes don't get raised over time.

Oh Shit, June 5th date confirmed in the IGN video.

HOLY SHIT, HOLY SHIT, HOLY SHIT.

Awesome. I need something new to dig into.

Hmmm, looks like it could be cool but it still quite easily go either way. Some pretty bad screen tearing in the IGN video, too.

I'll definitely keep an eye on this. Could be fun and I really need a reason to play my 360 again.

Ryan_IGN

We have been told the same thing Undead Labs has said publicly: June 5 is a go *if* it passes certification, which is what I say at the end of the video (sorry, I should've clarified that earlier in the video).

Also, the tearing must be our video player/capture. Tearing isn't an issue in the game. Framerate and clipping are, though.

We have been told the same thing Undead Labs has said publicly: June 5 is a go *if* it passes certification, which is what I say at the end of the video (sorry, I should've clarified that earlier in the video).

Also, the tearing must be our video player/capture. Tearing isn't an issue in the game. Framerate and clipping are, though.
Ah, that's good to know. Well, kind of, haha.

I look forward to more videos. Kinda wishing I nabbed some of those $5 1200 points codes from the MS Store now, completely forgot about this game.

Looks like I'll be picking up a points card for this baby. Can't wait!

With that, I predict everyone and their moms will be doing a "let's Play" of this.
and I'll be checking it out as well on Pc, a lot of good ideas that look like they're worth the jank.

2 things.... first is the tearing and clipping something they can patch in fixes for?
And second... Does this game end? Or is it constant. I hope they have leader boards.

What would be awesome would be special items or recognition for being in the top 50 survivors. Maybe achievement points or chances to have your name in the class 4 ge as characters. Curious to see how long people can manage to survive.

Top Bottom