• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

DrBo42

Really janky animation but it really has some great ideas with the base management and scouting. Love permadeath/level reset.

Orca

They cut co-op unfortunately. :(

Hadn't really been paying attention to the game and thought I could co-op with the wife when I showed her. She was super sold on the idea, but I had to crush her dreams of zombie smashing together when I found out a little later. Guess I should have checked first haha

mujun

Update from the official forums:

Sorry, I'm punchy. Been a thrill ride of a week

June 5 IS our (STILL INTERNAL, DAMMIT) goal. Until we hear something firm either way from MS, we're not changing it.

If something comes up during the last bits of the cert process, it will change. I just don't know.

eshwaaz

Also, the tearing must be our video player/capture. Tearing isn't an issue in the game. Framerate and clipping are, though.
Thank goodness. I can deal with the framerate and clipping issues, but I just cannot take tearing - it's a constant distraction.

We have been told the same thing Undead Labs has said publicly: June 5 is a go *if* it passes certification, which is what I say at the end of the video (sorry, I should've clarified that earlier in the video).

Also, the tearing must be our video player/capture. Tearing isn't an issue in the game. Framerate and clipping are, though.

God I hope it passes cert. Make it happen, MS. You bunch of lazy scoundrels.

Good news about the tearing, frame-rate and clipping I can deal with but there's just something about tearing that becomes increasingly annoying the more it happens.

That moment when he had to push the NPC through the screen door during the IGN Let's Play, lol. Judging from how the game performs in its current state... I don't really have high hopes for a June 5th release ;_;

SinsArmor

Neo Member
from Undead Sanya over on the official forums about fps animations etc.

"Please note, IGN's graphics were dramatically better than what you saw in the abortive Twitch stream yesterday, because that's the difference a month makes. The Twitch channel hostess was using an older build. IGN also has been totally honest with you. The tearing was their equipment - framerate and the sliding was not.

Now I'll add my own honesty, although this is in a bunch of other threads (and why I'm sort of wondering why anyone thinks the forum's all rainbows and unicorn poop - we don't flinch from the dark side, here): The sliding is not going to get fixed. It's an engine issue, and you see it in multiple AAA games, let alone our XBLA game. I also do not believe the frame is going to get better. I'm positive the animations are final.

In other words, if any of you are here for hyper-realistic graphics, you should not buy the game. It is not going to make you happy, you will not like it, and it will not change enough for you to ever like it. I wish you well, and truly honestly hope you find a forum for a game you WILL like. This. Isn't. It. I'm not going to play host to endless dissections of the visual imperfections, because it is what it is. What on earth would be the point about ranting about something that isn't going to change? It's not me suppressing negativity, it's me stipulating the issue up front. There's nothing to discuss, although you're totally welcome to mention it if it's relevant to a discussion of gameplay.

I've been paying attention to the early reviews. All of them acknowledge the issues, and say that if you like this kind of game, it just doesn't matter that much. In my own experience, that is true of any game. Give it a shot. The demo will be free. If the game doesn't do it for you, no harm no foul, and see above about wishing you the best. If it does, the forum's here for you to discuss it. "

I have every reason to believe that Microsoft is going to hold this game and announce it will be out either right after the E3 press conference of the next morning... sorta like hey.. watch us roar...

I hate the lack of communication they give us in regards to releases like this.

Karak

I have every reason to believe that Microsoft is going to hold this game and announce it will be out either right after the E3 press conference of the next morning... sorta like hey.. watch us roar...

I hate the lack of communication they give us in regards to releases like this.

I am not sure cert works in that way(random delays without informing the devs for those reasons). Usually that is discussed with the devs in advance.

Worth the wait though.

Karak

Uhg they are just randomly yacking and not talking about the game much. That guy also cusses more than I do which is difficult hahahahaha.

derFeef

Can't wait for this. Scavenging, surviving...
DayZ did not deliver in that regard for me somehow, so here is hoping.

from Undead Sanya over on the official forums about fps animations etc.

"Please note, IGN's graphics were dramatically better than what you saw in the abortive Twitch stream yesterday, because that's the difference a month makes. The Twitch channel hostess was using an older build. IGN also has been totally honest with you. The tearing was their equipment - framerate and the sliding was not.

Now I'll add my own honesty, although this is in a bunch of other threads (and why I'm sort of wondering why anyone thinks the forum's all rainbows and unicorn poop - we don't flinch from the dark side, here): The sliding is not going to get fixed. It's an engine issue, and you see it in multiple AAA games, let alone our XBLA game. I also do not believe the frame is going to get better. I'm positive the animations are final.

In other words, if any of you are here for hyper-realistic graphics, you should not buy the game. It is not going to make you happy, you will not like it, and it will not change enough for you to ever like it. I wish you well, and truly honestly hope you find a forum for a game you WILL like. This. Isn't. It. I'm not going to play host to endless dissections of the visual imperfections, because it is what it is. What on earth would be the point about ranting about something that isn't going to change? It's not me suppressing negativity, it's me stipulating the issue up front. There's nothing to discuss, although you're totally welcome to mention it if it's relevant to a discussion of gameplay.

I've been paying attention to the early reviews. All of them acknowledge the issues, and say that if you like this kind of game, it just doesn't matter that much. In my own experience, that is true of any game. Give it a shot. The demo will be free. If the game doesn't do it for you, no harm no foul, and see above about wishing you the best. If it does, the forum's here for you to discuss it. "

Thanks for posting.

I honestly don't believe anyone expected hyper realistic graphics (at least I'd hope they didn't) and the clipping, etc is fine so long as it doesn't become an overbearingly annoying issue as the game goes on. I'm referring to instances were clipping results in the character dying as was the case in Advent Rising.

If that doesn't happen, it's not an issue for me personally. I've played technically worse games and still managed to enjoy them...

Karak

I can see the aliasing bothering me a little bit. A bit lower res but actual AA would have been better imho.

You know how you play some random tablet game, or browser game that is just fun but isn't much to look at.
Imagine something just as good but a bit better to look at.

That twitch is just too hard to watch.

Sanctuary

Oh look, another zombie game. Wonder what the trend hopping will be next-gen.
Regardless, this game looks like a The Walking Dead that you can actually play.

edit: I knew that this game was going to be released, but they propped it up as an RPG initially, not just another action/adventure game. If they can actually bring back the "survival" aspect that's always mentioned, but always failed to be delivered, I'll be happy.

Can't wait for this, looks like it has a lot of promise! I keep forgetting it was scheduled to come out so soon. Here's to hoping that co-op will be incorporated at a later date, that'd be a blast I'm sure.

This looks like it could be a lot of fun but the unpolished gameplay and technical issues have me wanting a PC release. They developer tried to do a bit much for the hardware limitations.

UrbanRats

Wait, this is coming for PC too? Well then i'm waiting for sure.
I have a 20GB hard drive on 360, so it was going to be a pain in the ass in the first place, but this makes it easy.

Or is it just a rumor?

SinsArmor

Neo Member
Wait, this is coming for PC too? Well then i'm waiting for sure.
I have a 20GB hard drive on 360, so it was going to be a pain in the ass in the first place, but this makes it easy.

Or is it just a rumor?

its coming to pc but no date set yet and from what they said on the forums its gonna be a straight port

derFeef

It has all of that, but it feels "videogamey" because it's about the metagame and not the actual surviving, like it is in SoD. Hard to explain somehow - it just feels odd to me.

Ah, okay. So it's essentially superficial in its execution? Would that be accurate way to describe how DayZ approaches scavenging?

Just watched someone play the Last of Us demo and then the two IGN videos for this game, and oddly enough I'm far more interested in playing this. Something about the setting and the open world that excites me. Do we know if the game attempts to explain why there's zombies, or just drops you into it? Often times my favorite part is when they try to explain why there are zombies.

SinsArmor

Neo Member
from Undead Sanya on the IGN video and how the game is still not out of certification yet its not looking good for next week but i hope I'm wrong

"They just got to the end of the tutorial area with this one, so I'd say skip the next few installments if you want to be surprised.

And basically, I was supposed to have something to announce today, but it looks like certification won't be over today. So, yeah."

ekim

from Undead Sanya on the IGN video and how the game is still not out of certification yet its not looking good for next week but i hope I'm wrong

"They just got to the end of the tutorial area with this one, so I'd say skip the next few installments if you want to be surprised.

And basically, I was supposed to have something to announce today, but it looks like certification won't be over today. So, yeah."

Nooooo. :(

MOTHERFUCKER.

What the fuck is wrong with MS? Goddamn idiots, I bet they release it during E3 and as such it will go completely unnoticed as the dash will be focused on advertising their conference details, etc.

MOTHERFUCKER.

What the fuck is wrong with MS? Goddamn idiots, I bet they release it during E3 and as such it will go completely unnoticed as the dash will be focused on advertising their conference details, etc.

undeadlabs: Not going to have any news today, everyone. That's the way certification crumbles - it ends when it ends. No news is not bad news, though!

From their twitter.

To be honest I get the feeling that it will come out on Wednesday but they don't want to commit to it incase it doesn't. I am hopeful too but I suppose thats the risk of releasing it close to E3.

Top Bottom