• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State your Hardware Biases - Round II (now with poll!)

What's your Hardware Bias?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

DavidDayton said:
Well, this is a hardware manufacturer bias poll -- IBM Clones running a Windows OS aren't made by a single manufacturer. Besides, computers and game systems are different beasts...

Hey, aren't both next gen systems and the new gen system IBM clones anyway. ;) This is a hardware bias thread, but hardware is only a means to an end to play software. The votes here are actually picking hardware based off of the software they like. So with this in mind I think PC should be a viable option. You just get to put together your own setup for PC instead of being forced into one hardware configuration.

Bebpo

Banned
I enjoy technology,
I enjoy consumers getting the best deals,
I enjoy consumers getting nice things,
I like underdog companies who put their blood on the line and bet their companies to win,
I don't enjoy companies that put their profits ahead of fun for the masses.
I hate sales-age.com

therefore I voted Sony+MS

VECTREX FTW!!!!!

vectrex.jpg

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Don't get me wrong - it's still all about the games for me and I will own all the consoles. Right now however I am most impressed with Sony and Nintendo's hardware is all.

Terrell

Archie said:
Should've voted none of the above.
QFT. Anyone who thinks that Sony and MS aren't as focused on their bottom line as Nintendo is delusional. The only difference between Nintendo and Sony/MS is in how they decide to make the attempt to make a profit.

Oh... and I voted Nintendo.

perplexcity said:
All of the above. I like video games. Each company pleases and pisses me off in their own special ways.
Precisely. Except there's some whose consoles I can afford, and another not.
Therefore I voted other.

Trurl

Banned
Bebpo said:
I don't enjoy companies that put their profits ahead of fun for the masses.
It's not like Sony or MS are running charities here. Sure, MS lost a lot of money on the MS but it was only because of the promise of long term profits.

Nintendo.

The other companies don't actually have any franchises that belong to them that I absolutely adore... yet there are tens of franchises from Nintendo that I hold dear to me.

dbish

beelzebozo said:
Nintendo.

Gamecube brought me back after I was a PSX fan during the 32-bit era.

Interesting, I voted Nintendo as well, but Gamecube is the system that almost sent me someplace else.

KINGMOKU

Magicpaint said:
Nintendo.

The other companies don't actually have any franchises that belong to them that I absolutely adore... yet there are tens of franchises from Nintendo that I hold dear to me.
I agree.

Nintendo franchises are what keep me coming back. Its almost a respect thing I guess. They make thier own games, and do a great job at it, while the other guys seem to buy companies to do it for them, or hope for third-party support.

Nintendo has always treated me right, so I have a bias twords them.

Beowvlf

Banned
Amir0x said:
BUT... this latest round is a disaster for all three companies from my standpoint. They all do some neat things, but they've all also ****ed up so badly that I hate them all :mad:
Actually, based on your criteria, Sony is the obvious choice you'd prefer coming up, with easily the strongest third party support so far, the best feature set out-of-the-box, and arguably the best first party titles of the three. So it seems the only roadblock for you is the price.

Anyways, I voted Sony. I thought voting for two was kind of cheesy, and as I'm a big fan of improving technology, it comes down to MS and Sony. I'll always have a love for Nintendo, but I just dislike their new direction and focus so much I couldn't even imagine the Wii becoming my primary console. I'm warming up more and more to the 360, but in the end my 3 most loved franchises are Final Fantasy, Metal Gear and Gran Turismo, and those are all still PlayStation only. Strong Japanese support, full backwards compatibility and large library diversity are huge factors as well.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
moku said:
I agree.

Nintendo franchises are what keep me coming back. Its almost a respect thing I guess. They make thier own games, and do a great job at it, while the other guys seem to buy companies to do it for them, or hope for third-party support.

Nintendo has always treated me right, so I have a bias twords them.
You know, both Microsoft and Sony have their own development studios and their games are pretty good too!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Magicpaint said:
Yep, as weak as the GC was as a system overall, it still produced my all time favourite game. :)

Anytime something good happens in this universe, it can be explained with that phrase.

"my mom's cancer disappeared"
"chalk it up to metroid prime."

truth.

Amir0x

Banned
Heian-kyo said:
Actually, based on your criteria, Sony is the obvious choice you'd prefer coming up, with easily the strongest third party support so far, the best feature set out-of-the-box, and arguably the best first party titles of the three. So it seems the only roadblock for you is the price.

First party still goes to Nintendo
XBL 360 is the greatest 'feature' known to mankind - Sony has to demonstrate they can even approach it
Sony's third party support is still by far best, but that's an advantage that's dwindling

in the end, Sony's got a $600 dollar megalith

Mrbob

Amir0x said:
First party still goes to Nintendo
XBL 360 is the greatest 'feature' known to mankind - Sony has to demonstrate they can even approach it
Sony's third party support is still by far best, but that's an advantage that's dwindling

in the end, Sony's got a $600 dollar megalith

Man, if the only thing you truly like about the 360 is Live, then you might as well buy a PS3 because Sony is about to rip off 99 percent of it. We can tap dance around the issue all we want but we both know it is true.

Amir0x

Banned
Mrbob said:
Man, if the only thing you truly like about the 360 is Live, then you might as well buy a PS3 because Sony is about to rip off 99 percent of it. We can tap dance around the issue all we want but we both know it is true.

The 'only' thing just happens to be one of the biggest things. That said, it's not the only thing - it's supplimented by Gears of War, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Forza 2 and more... quality titles that I'm pretty sure I can't live without.

callous

Nintendo and Sony. I'm not a fan of either company, but they have and will have the games I like. MS doesn't in a quantity that makes me care.

Amir0x said:
The 'only' thing just happens to be one of the biggest things. That said, it's not the only thing - it's supplimented by Gears of War, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Forza 2 and more... quality titles that I'm pretty sure I can't live without.

Games you haven't even played?

Mrbob

Amir0x said:

Then buy a 360 and stop worrying. When you say "and more...", I know you are implying Crackdown. :D

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Voted other, ill play anything really, while i may troll the xfriends a lot, it doesnt mean i dont play the games. So when it comes to hardware, i dont think im biased.

This poll seems to be supporting the idea that Sony and Microsoft are pretty bitter enemies, while Nintendo is competing less directly with either of them. There are very few "Sony & MS" fanboys, but a sizable number of Sony and Microsoft supporters who also like Nintendo.

RegularMK

Last generation I would have said Sony, but now its Microsoft and Nintendo.

I always want the systems I own/plan on owning to do the best. Guess that makes sense.

D3VI0US

Right now since I haven't gotten my hands on the Wii and the range of titles and 3rd party support looks lacking I'm excited for the potential but I'm skeptical of Nintendo's ability to deliver. Not to mention I think power can improve games and simple games don't need to have weak graphics, they just need to be easy to play, that's a design issue more than hardware one.

360 is currently my console of choice just cause it has the one game gaurenteed to make me go out and buy the hardware, Halo 3. It's got horsepower and the price is right not to mention the lineup is pretty solid.

Still as the generation goes on PS3 is likely to be the console to get most of my love once that price comes down. I'll buy all my multiplatform games on PS3 cause it's likely to be the best version. Still I'm gonna have to wait cause $600 is too steep for my budget and that's not gonna change any time soon. It's gonna take more than DMC4 and Warhawk to get me to bite but that stuff will come eventually.

I'll own all 3 but I'm not afraid to prefer one console to another, I just want the best game experience possible. I loved how Fifa and Monkey Ball played on GC but hated Soul Calibur and more traditional games on that controller. FPS I liked Xbox not only cause of Live but the triggers and the analog stick layout. PS2 I bought games just cause I couldn't get them anywhere else. They all had their software and what's out or coming directly effects which console gets lovin from me, so my hardware bias is directly tied to my software bias.

Since I love Nintendo games and you only get to play those on Nintendo systems, I guess that's where my bias is. I'll eventually get all 3 next gen systems but when it boils down to amount of time I'm going to be playing it's gonna be Wii and DS by leaps and bounds.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Nintendo for sure, I own a Xbox so there is a little bit there but no love coming the way of Sony. Its more like 99% Nintendo, 1% Microsoft and 0% Sony.

And having played the Wii Nintendo wont be going no where anytime soon.

Sony and Nintendo.

A few weeks ago I wouldn't have said that. I'm normally a huge Nintendo fanboy, but I finally branched out and bought a PS2 during E3. Along with it Guitar Heroes, Ico, and Shadow of the Collosus. Freaking great games, to say the least. I'm not on the PS3 Bandwagon or anything, but the PS2 is in it's prime right now with a bunch of great games in the future for it, and many budget title games now.

The Wii is probably going to be my only Next-Gen console, unless Microsoft can show that the 360 will get just as much support as both the PS3 and Wii, and have a nice pricedrop. On the otherhand, I'm really tempeted to buy a PS3 just for what Team Ico is making for it, but if they want to get my money for one game, the price better be under 200$. I've heard rumors that Guitar Heroes was going to be multiple systems Next-Gen, so that makes it easier for me and my wallet. Guitar Heroes 3 is also one of the reasons why I would want a PS3.

I'm going to pick up the Wii at launch with Zelda, Metroid, and Red Steel, hoping that Nintendo can garner atleast some 3rd Party games and exclusives this generation to ease my pain.

Qtopia

Banned
Nintendo for me. REALLY looking forward to the Wii and the DS is really the only thing i have played the last 6 months. I can't really stand anything from the Xbox side of things at all. The PS was a machine that needed to be purchased for GT, FF and MGS.

MS and Nintendo with emphasis on MS. Nintendo systems have been nice to have as a 2nd console for 1st party titles. Not sure on a Wii right away, but my purchase of it is inevitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom