• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staying In Sochi Is A Hilarious Adventure in the ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefit

I've had many bad dreams were I'm sitting naked in a bathroom full of toilets and no separators between them. This is mortifying.

https://twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/425605250389528576/photo/1

BegNuF2CIAA6v9V.jpg:large

Magni

No toilet paper in the toilets is pretty common in South America from what I've seen, just about the pipes.

Could be worse.

In Ecuador public restrooms, you have to bring your own toilet paper!

Same from my experience. We'll see how the toilets are in Rio in two years though.

Wow. This is only going to have a negative impact on the performance of the athletes as well. If they're not well rested, comfortable, they won't be able to perform to the best of their ability.

Just having one super loud snorer in that Canadian hockey room would be enough to keep most people from sleeping properly.

Wow. This is only going to have a negative impact on the performance of the athletes as well. If they're not well rested, comfortable, they won't be able to perform to the best of their ability.

This assumes they don't get sick from having to bathe in or eat food cooked in untreated sewage, break their legs on unfinished pavement/open manholes or get crushed by a collapsing apartment building.

Our toilet at home gets clogged up if we put too much TP into it so that part didn't seem strange. Also occasionally see signs like that.

I live in the USA.

Everything else in this article is WTF

Jackpot

Banned
Corruption aside, you're being quite naive if you think these issues didn't exist in every Olympics that has ever been granted in modern history.

Even Lake Placid (in America) had similar problems, overruns, corruption etc. in the 80's, but no one remembers that because we didn't have a nation of whiny bitches live blogging every moment of thier lives at the time.

You can't seriously be that dense to not understand why the results vs cost of Sochi are in a whole different league to standard grifting. And blaming it all on everyone (except you of course) being "whiny bitches"?

"Why, in ma day we used to sleep on broken glass and if we lost a limb we kept it to ourselves!"

I've never encountered this in more than 20 years of travels through Spain, France, Germany, Italy, etc
Go somewhere more adventurous. :p

I've seen it a ton, generally in countries where Western-style toilets are a recent thing (most often in countries that use squat toilets) and the plumbing isn't able to handle paper being run through it. Upscale hotels, even in poorer countries, will often have Western-style toilets. But if you're staying in lower-end places? Expect to see this.

I've found the bin doesn't usually smell any worse than a toilet usually does -- most of the time people wrap the used paper in another piece or two of fresh paper. The only time it's honestly ever been an inconvenience for me is when I had a horrible bout of food poisoning when I visited China (don't eat mystery street meat!). However, using the bin was still better than some of the squat toilets I found in a Beijing park. Ugh.

Serick

Married Member
Go somewhere more adventurous. :p

I've seen it a ton, generally in countries where Western-style toilets are a recent thing (most often in countries that use squat toilets) and the plumbing isn't able to handle paper being run through it. Upscale hotels, even in poorer countries, will often have Western-style toilets. But if you're staying in lower-end places? Expect to see this.

I've found the bin doesn't usually smell any worse than a toilet usually does -- most of the time people wrap the used paper in another piece or two of fresh paper. The only time it's honestly ever been an inconvenience for me is when I had a horrible bout of food poisoning when I visited China (don't eat mystery street meat!). However, using the bin was still better than some of the squat toilets I found in a Beijing park. Ugh.

I think the source of the disbelief comes from the results of the $50 billion budget. Not that these toilets exist *anywhere* in the world at all.

The gross negligence and corruption on display here is baffling.

Ovek

7Member7
None of this surprises me, I went snowboarding in Sochi a few years ago and they hadn't even started any construction work. The water didn't look radioactive back then so I'm guessing that's been caused by botched construction work. I also wonder if they fixed the nightly rolling blackouts that effected the entire town.

The worst part about the communal toilets is not the actual act of dropping a load, nor is it asking you neighbor for TP. It's not even dropping said shit-smeared TP in the wastebasket next to you.

It's trying to wipe with an audience...

Serick

Married Member
The worst part about the communal toilets is not the actual act of dropping a load, nor is it asking you neighbor for TP. It's not even dropping said shit-smeared TP in the wastebasket next to you.

It's trying to wipe with an audience...

Stand or sit stand or sit ugggghhhh this would be a nightmare for me.

I think the source of the disbelief comes from the results of the $50 billion budget. Not that these toilets exist *anywhere* in the world at all.

The gross negligence and corruption on display here is baffling.
But if that's the sort of sanitation system they have elsewhere in Russia, why would you expect them to accommodate some (in their likely opinion) Westerners who feel entitled to a different standard to what the host country has?

The communal toilets are certainly odd, but I suppose they could make sense in the context of a place designed for athletes. Maybe it's not an abnormal thing in Russia, I don't know.

Serick

Married Member
But if that's the sort of sanitation system they have elsewhere in Russia, why would you expect them to accommodate some (in their likely opinion) Westerners who feel entitled to a different standard to what the host country has?

The communal toilets are certainly odd, but I suppose they could make sense in the context of a place designed for athletes. Maybe it's not an abnormal thing in Russia, I don't know.

You're missing the big picture here. They spent a king's ransom, and then some, and still don't have modern plumbing. Each "event" is costing nearly four times as much money as they did in China for the Summer Olympics. The toilet paper is just icing on the giant (ass - heheheh) cake.

If this was, "Russia spends $750 million on Winter Olympics - Can't flush toilet paper down toilet!" I would understand your point.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Serick already covered the bases, so allow me to point that...

Westerners who feel entitled to a different standard to what the host country has?

... it's not about "entitled westerners", but a host country organising one of the most international events in the world, if not the most. Everything needs to be up to snuff.

Any country who can't satisfy or understand something as simple as this has no fucking business hosting the games.

It's fine if their facilities aren't up to international standards but maybe they shouldn't host international events.

You're missing the big picture here. They spent a king's ransom, and then some, and still don't have modern plumbing.
I guess I don't see the big deal. Yes, an absolute ton of money was wasted, but that's down to mismanagement, corruption and Russian culture. But then, that's no one's problem but Russia's, is it? If they spent $1m or $100b to get the event ready, that's entirely down to them (and if I were a citizen I'd be pretty pissed).

... it's not about "entitled westerners", but a host country organising one of the most international events in the world, if not the most. Everything needs to be up to snuff..
Nice selective quoting there. Up to snuff by whose standards? Yours? Mine? The Jamaican bobsled team? The Peruvian team who otherwise live in poverty?

Sure, the accommodation and entire town seems a bit crap, but the athletes aren't there for a holiday and I bet most of the ones complaining didn't pay to go there anyway.

Were those pictures taken recently? Where is the snow? Its supposed to be the winter olympics!
Apparently it's a summer resort, and is as far south as places like Nice, Marseille, etc. They're pretty warm! The whole thing seems like a clusterfuck from the beginning if you ask me.

Violet_0

Banned
in case you didnt know,those toilet paper bins are very common in developing countries and yes the stench is unbearable

Know what's almost as bad as a public restroom with no dividers between toilets?

Hotels with full-length mirrors right in front of the crapper.

Ovek

7Member7
Were those pictures taken recently? Where is the snow? Its supposed to be the winter olympics!

Sochi is on the cost of the Black Sea so your gonna see more palm trees than snow. Well that and weather forecasts don't show any snow for weeks.

giri

I guess I don't see the big deal. Yes, an absolute ton of money was wasted, but that's down to mismanagement, corruption and Russian culture. But then, that's no one's problem but Russia's, is it? If they spent $1m or $100b to get the event ready, that's entirely down to them (and if I were a citizen I'd be pretty pissed).

Nice selective quoting there. Up to snuff by whose standards? Yours? Mine? The Jamaican bobsled team? The Peruvian team who otherwise live in poverty?

Sure, the accommodation and entire town seems a bit crap, but the athletes aren't there for a holiday and I bet most of the ones complaining didn't pay to go there anyway.

Apparently it's a summer resort, and is as far south as places like Nice, Marseille, etc. They're pretty warm! The whole thing seems like a clusterfuck from the beginning if you ask me.

Actually, there are standards that the IOC set that host countries are meant to meet. Obligated too.

India copped a bollocking over the commonwealth games village.

What fines / penalties there are for not meeting the standards i don't know.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Nice selective quoting there.
It's not like I didn't explain that I was expanding on Serick's comment or anything.

Up to snuff by whose standards? Yours? Mine? The Jamaican bobsled team? The Peruvian team who otherwise live in poverty?
Not sure if strawman or argument to moderation.

By awarding the games to a massively corrupt country you are rewarding said corruption. There's not a lot to think there. It's an embarrassing situation all around.

Actually, there are standards that the IOC set that host countries are meant to meet. Obligated too.

India copped a bollocking over the commonwealth games village.
That one was unbelievable.

Monocle

It's truly remarkable that such a shithole was selected to host the Winter Olympics. Shameful and embarrassing.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Anyone who watches any event should be banned from GAF.

I'm kidding but fuck these Olympics.

Kite

Anyone remember if China's had any issues with their Olympic Village? I don't remember any and my googling has mostly brought up pics from government and travel sites which look nice but I'm not sure how much I trust em.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
It's truly remarkable that such a shithole was selected to host the Winter Olympics. Shameful and embarrassing.

It really is amazing.

1.) The location is better suited for the Summer Olympics.
2.) It's one of the few unsuitable places in Russia for the Winter Olympics.
3.) It would have been cheaper for Russia to host it pretty much anywhere else, so no long expensive highways would be needed to reach areas cold enough to actually have the events.

explodet

“Sochi is Putingrad says Marat Gelman, who considers the $50-billion investment in the Black Sea resort and the Winter Olympics to begin there on Friday the personal handiwork of his former boss, President Vladimir Putin. “He built the whole thing. It’s his legacy.”

And they are the Putin Games. Seven years ago, Mr. Putin travelled to Guatemala and campaigned so persuasively (in three languages) that the International Olympic Committee chose Sochi even though it lacked appropriate facilities and is Russia’s only city never guaranteed to see snow in February.

I wonder how he feels about the first impression that many people are getting about the place: toilets with no dividers.

By awarding the games to a massively corrupt country you are rewarding said corruption. There's not a lot to think there. It's an embarrassing situation all around.
It sure is. It seems like the selection committee are all too easily swayed by flashy presentations and promises. I don't know what rigour they have when selecting participants, but perhaps they need a detailed (or more detailed) plan of how they will actually achieve what they need to.

May as well have chosen Qatar at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom