• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staying In Sochi Is A Hilarious Adventure in the ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

NPR had a great piece about this and about how many family members have ended up deciding against going to Sochi due to the clusterfuck that is going on their right now with the accommodations, with security, and with the visa process:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/theedge/20...plicated-why-some-families-will-sit-out-sochi

Yes, the Olympics are about marketing and capitalism and all that nonsense, but there are still athletes and families at the core of this experience and the criminal behavior in Russia has an affect on all parties.
Ugh, this thread was funny, but that's just a bummer. I can't imagine what it's like for families missing out on something a loved one has worked so hard for because of Russian corruption and bureaucracy.

I really hope Sochi is a complete disaster so a glaring spot light is put on the IOC for a very, very long time. I think it's time we realise major events like the Olympics, World Cup etc have grown too big and there are only so many places in the world that can realistically host them. I get that the spirit of these events is to tour the world, but unless a new location can make a very, very good case for it, places like Canada, the UK and US should be allowed to host it more often.

Corruption aside, you're being quite naive if you think these issues didn't exist in every Olympics that has ever been granted in modern history.

Even Lake Placid (in America) had similar problems, overruns, corruption etc. in the 80's, but no one remembers that because we didn't have a nation of whiny bitches live blogging every moment of thier lives at the time.

Anytime there is a large gathering of people, you can find some unseemingly shit on the peripherial if you go looking for it.
You can't possibly believe what's happening in Sochi is the norm. Just read that NPR article above to see how it's affecting the most important part of the Olympics - the athletes and their trainers/family.

Cerity

Canada's website brings the shade: Sochi facilities still a work in progress

SOCHI_OLYMPICS_HOTEL_WOES_214113186-1-930x600.jpg

Russian mens biathlon team in training.

Nander

I've seen it in Barcelona, Valencia, Athens and Istanbul.

Dude, you MUST be thinking about paper towels, the rougher paper sheets used to dry your hands in many public restrooms (like these). There are often signs, all over Europe, saying that they shouldn't be flushed down toilets.

I find it very hard to believe that there are places in Barcelona, in 2014, where you wipe your ass and then throw the poo-stained in a bin. And it's even less believable that anyone would do that in France, except for maybe some remote farm in the Alps...

Team Canada's hockey team will be staying in rooms like this.....lol

BfoRofRIQAEhSEe.jpg

This is hilarious. Motel 6 meets summer camp!

dem

Everything will end up looking fine I'm sure...
but the level of corruption going on over there for these 50 billion dollar games.. good god.

I read that the road connecting venues cost more than the entire Vancouver Olympics.

Are you freakin serious? Pockets are getting lined beyond belief.

Haven't been to Sochi, but bottled water, tissues, antiseptic/hand wipes, and a sense of humor about it all were essentials when traveling through Russia. Love their 20 cent beer, though! :D

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Looks like our athletes had won a lottery, they have fantastic rooms in upper Olympic Village (that one in the mountains).

Journalists and media are in for some surprises. In negative way, that is :p

look at this view
603997_638090519572447_927741261_n.jpg

ToxicAdam

Methinks thou doth project too much. You are acting like this is par for the course. It really isn't.

The Olympics is full of graft and foul dealing but the overt nature of the corruption here is definitely in a new class.

Based on what? The costs and the budget overrun?

The average cost overrun of Olympic events from 1968-2000 was 258%.

The Lake Placid event was 320% over budget.

So yea, this one will reach a new high, but it's not that far of an outlier as you would think.

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/news/2013/09/07/olympics-cost/5.html

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2014/02/03/3239131/sochi-olympics-cost-winter-olympics-combined/

Maybe I'm alone in this, but a lot of this comes across as entitled bitches whining.

Yes, poor you, you get to get paid for two weeks while you take a vacation and cover some meaningless sports. Yes, some of your hospitality will be compromised because of this massive influx of people they are not used to.

image.php

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Oh yeah! I forgot about visas. It's basically a scam. You have to pay an entry fee to go to the country to do business.

Last time I was there we got pulled over at 4am on the way to the airport to pay a cop a bribe. And it was so casual.

Then at the airport, I'm in the VIP lounge and I ask the receptionist which of the four wifi networks is real, because they all have similar names. She says, "Ah yes, this is lounge wifi, these is crimes."

Fucking gamers!

Hey, it's the Winter Games!

But seriously, I was mildly amused by this at first, but reading more about Sochi, I cannot believe how beyond fucked everything is. Hopefully the actual event facilities are up to snuff. Could you imagine what would happen if something like the track collapsing during the bobsled event?

@Shiina: No shooting up heroin in the stalls,
if there were any.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
What's bottom right supposed to mean? No throwing bombs into the toilet?

No doing heroin. Specifically.

Also the "no puking" caution seems futile. People are going to puke. If the toilet can't handle vomit then frankly it can't handle anything. I would also point out that directing people to therefore puke on the floor or in the sink isn't the best idea either.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
But seriously, I was mildly amused by this at first, but reading more about Sochi, I cannot believe how beyond fucked everything is. Hopefully the actual event facilities are up to snuff. Could you imagine what would happen if something like the track collapsing during the bobsled event?

I hate to sound grim but I'm almost expecting a catastrophe like this will inevitably happen.

Shiina

Don't shoot yourself up with drugs

That picture just absolutely made this thread.

Also the "no puking" caution seems futile. People are going to puke. If the toilet can't handle vomit then frankly it can't handle anything. I would also point out that directing people to therefore puke on the floor or in the sink isn't the best idea either.

I see. That's a weird position to take drugs in.

Maybe it means no drinking toilet water.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
You can flush paper down the toilet in some countries? wow

never been in such places, must be great.

I really don't see anything wrong with this

Where do you live to have never heard of this? It's pretty much a common thing in all first world countries as far as i know.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Where do you live to have never heard of this? It's pretty much a common thing in all first world countries as far as i know.

Looks like you never visited Greece or one of the islands in the Mediterranean Sea :)

Pyccko

Well, if anything this thread has made me intensely thankful I grew up in a place where I could flush my paper at least. good golly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom