• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staying In Sochi Is A Hilarious Adventure in the ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich!

Most likely that and someone trying to make a joke at same time. It's a very literal translation and someone decided to abbreviate assorted as 'ass.'.

I've been to many stores and supermarkets that abbreviate "assorted" to "ass."

However, logic would dictate that it may not be the wisest choice in a restuarant.

There are toilets like this:

mZK06px.jpg

That's gonna be one awkward shit...

Well, that's one way to solve the glory hole problem.

Team Canada's hockey team will be staying in rooms like this.....lol

BfoRofRIQAEhSEe.jpg

It's a trap. They will be sleeping so close together that they will be accused of being gay and arrested. Russia wins Gold.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That's actually pretty common - there are a number of construction projects in London that have "fake" facades of the building under construction. It's not about trying to fool people into thinking it's done, it's about trying to stop a construction site being an eyesore.

The Olympics start this Friday..

Yeah, I was going to say, if you think this is bad, wait for the Brazil in two years.
This Sochi business had better steal their thunder, then. First we boycott the Moscow games, now Putin gon Putin.

Cakes in ass right before becoming bros in the bathroom leading up to a single-bed fuck frenzy that brings the whole hotel down? Coming right up!

ToxicAdam

Maybe I'm alone in this, but a lot of this comes across as entitled bitches whining.

Yes, poor you, you get to get paid for two weeks while you take a vacation and cover some meaningless sports. Yes, some of your hospitality will be compromised because of this massive influx of people they are not used to.

Actually it would be interesting to hold an Olympiad somewhere in Siberia or, hell, St. Petersburg. I feel like the modern-day boyars are responsible for choosing both the traditional capital and a milquetoast resort beach.

Olympic athletes deserve the comforts of home in each and every Village they stay at.

Alucrid

Banned
Maybe I'm alone in this, but a lot of this comes across as entitled bitches whining.

Yes, poor you, you get to get paid for two weeks while you take a vacation and cover some meaningless sports. Yes, some of your hospitality will be compromised because of this massive influx of people they are not used to.
these fucking assholes who expect working doors

Who needs drinkable water anyway?

andycapps

I think people are complaining because of the massive amount of money being spent, and the fact that the Olympic facilities which are typically very nice are turning out to pretty poor in Sochi.

dem

Ever taken a work trip?
A vacation they are not.

If i went to a conference or something and they had 2 toilers per stall... no water.. doorknobs that didnt work..
I mean.. come on.

shira

How did the IOC approve Sochi? They need to step up their game.

Remember the IOC/FIFA/etc has 3rd world countries who will never win host, so their votes are bought off by rich countries.
The whole courting process is the same 9-10 rich countries throwing hookers, real estate, scholarships, and gifts to these third world country reps.
So stepping up their game would be like Saudi Arabia or something winning the Winter Games and all these asshole IOC reps getting Bugatti's and Hotels.

Riggs

Banned

I know if I was hotel manager and some stupid snow boarder complained about too much cum on his sheets, I would hit him in the head with the service bell. Stupid westerners and their entitled bitching, feel the strength of real Russian man!

BUNNY GIF FUXK SCARY

Dr.Acula

Banned
I went backpacking through France, Spain, Morocco, on a rock climbing trip, and stayed in many small towns and villages (of less than 100 people), and I encountered lots of poop baskets. Older sewage systems in these areas just can't handle toilet paper. For a large hotel though? That's unusual.

I think people are complaining because of the massive amount of money being spent, and the fact that the Olympic facilities which are typically very nice are turning out to pretty poor in Sochi.

Worse than that.

Yes, Olympians are going. However, realize that many teams (especially in the non-mainstream sports) have to pay their own way there (take the Jamaican bobsled team, for example) and even more than that, for every Olympian, there are probably 3 or 4 family members that are going as well and they have to suffer through a lot to get to see this moment that their son or daughter or brother or sister or husband or wife has trained years for.

NPR had a great piece about this and about how many family members have ended up deciding against going to Sochi due to the clusterfuck that is going on their right now with the accommodations, with security, and with the visa process:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/theedge/20...plicated-why-some-families-will-sit-out-sochi

On a frigid afternoon, Jack Burke is coaching young skiers in a field in Saranac Lake, N.Y. His son Tim — who shoots and skis as part of the U.S. biathlon team — got his start training here. Now, Tim is off to Sochi to compete, but Jack and his whole family are staying home, missing the games for the first time since Tim's first Olympics in 2006.

"The uncertainty certainly did weigh into it," says Jack. "The cost was substantial, and costs seemed to be changing weekly."

Ed Mazdzer's son Chris is a luge racer, riding one of those superfast sleds. Because Chris is a serious medal contender, Ed and his family are going to Russia. But the decision wasn't easy.

"It's $18,000 for four of us in our family," he says, pointing out that it's probably four times as expensive as going to Vancouver four years ago.

Marty Lawthers, Chris' mom, says the family had to borrow against their life insurance policy to pay for the trip. She says that along with the cost of travel and hotels came the expense and headache of dealing with Russian bureaucracy.

"I think the whole visa process was just crazy — just crazy," she says. "There are so many fingers in the pie in this particular event."

Even families who've paid thousands of dollars say they've had their reservations changed or canceled, over and over.

"As recently as three weeks ago, we got an email from the organizers saying they were moving us again," says Helen Demong, the mother of Nordic combined skiing gold medalist Bill Demong.

Yes, the Olympics are about marketing and capitalism and all that nonsense, but there are still athletes and families at the core of this experience and the criminal behavior in Russia has an affect on all parties.

I mean, you have families taking out loans against their life savings (or insurance policies) to share this moment and here's Russia mailing that shit home with corruption left and right and entirely substandard -- if not outright dangerous -- accommodations in return.

Jackpot

Banned

You appear to have completely missed the point.

They aren't some poor little country doing their gosh-darned best to show their hospitality to big important westerners. They've spent more on this than China did. It highlights the endemic corruption in the country.

Small rooms and such are just entitled BS, but yellow water and half finished buildings is rather embarrassing.

Oh, and the no TP in toilet thing is used in places with bad plumbing. When I visited Cyprus, that was the case pretty much everywhere. I didn't mind though, because the godlike food combined with a properly active lifestyle meant that my turds were perfect. PERFECT.

There are toilets like this:

mZK06px.jpg

That's gonna be one awkward shit...

That awkward moment when you both try to put used tissue in the can at the same time.

I've seen the tissue in a can before but it grosses me out. Lots of guys I knew that came up from Mexico had that habit because that how it worked down there. lol my old boss never knew this fact and about had a stroke asking why there was shitty toilet paper in the can

ToxicAdam

Ever taken a work trip?
A vacation they are not.

If i went to a conference or something and they had 2 toilers per stall... no water.. doorknobs that didnt work..
I mean.. come on.

I listen to Tony Kornheiser talk every day and he frequently talks about his time covering the Olympics as a news reporter. He would go to a couple events, file his report and then have the rest of the day to himself to wander around wherever he wanted to go.

This isn't like flying on a red-eye to go see rendering plant in Topeka to sell your wares or service a piece of broken machinery.

You appear to have completely missed the point.

They aren't some poor little country doing their gosh-darned best to show their hospitality to big important westerners. They've spent more on this than China did. It highlights the endemic corruption in the country.

Corruption aside, you're being quite naive if you think these issues didn't exist in every Olympics that has ever been granted in modern history.

Even Lake Placid (in America) had similar problems, overruns, corruption etc. in the 80's, but no one remembers that because we didn't have a nation of whiny bitches live blogging every moment of thier lives at the time.

Anytime there is a large gathering of people, you can find some unseemingly shit on the peripherial if you go looking for it.

I love some of the events from the winter Olympics but I'm not watching this year. From the homophobic attitude of Russia to the obvious corruption that led to such a shit hole of a city landing the Olympics. I'm just going to skip it this year.

Einherjar

Man if I was an olympic athlete, I'd pack a tent and cartons of bottled water with me.

Edit: Actually, I'd probably make a killing selling bottled water if I had a steady supply lol.

Oppo

Corruption aside, you're being quite naive if you think these issues didn't exist in every Olympics that has ever been granted in modern history.

Even Lake Placid (in America) had similar problems, overruns, corruption etc. in the 80's, but no one remembers that because we didn't have a nation of whiny bitches live blogging every moment of thier lives at the time.

Anytime there is a large gathering of people, you can find some unseemingly shit on the peripherial if you go looking for it.

Methinks thou doth project too much. You are acting like this is par for the course. It really isn't.

The Olympics is full of graft and foul dealing but the overt nature of the corruption here is definitely in a new class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom