• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.
2SlijsB.jpg

I hope it has cards.

Catshade

Well my haul for the lunar steam sale ends with Grim Fandango, Mark of the Ninja and Sonic Adventures 1 & 2. Figured it's best not to buy any super long game until I start getting into that backlog. Man I've only started PC gaming for a little over 2 months and I already have over 50 games on there. Yikes.

Yeah, you should start saving for the Summer sale.

fallout

Well my haul for the lunar steam sale ends with Grim Fandango, Mark of the Ninja and Sonic Adventures 1 & 2. Figured it's best not to buy any super long game until I start getting into that backlog. Man I've only started PC gaming for a little over 2 months and I already have over 50 games on there. Yikes.
Think of it like a Netflix account that you increase the catalog of during sales. Years later, you'll be like me and firing up great 7 year old games because you have them in your library.

Been playing alot of Xcom 2 (only 2 'employees' died-luck has been with the team-so far) with bursts of Fallout 4 and TW3 w/mods (really changing both games tones)

Really needing a first person shooter-and lasts weeks Doom campaign trailer really pumped me up.

I'd like to kindly bring your attention to

header.jpg

remember the fighting games on neo geo pocket color?

Sure you do.

This game is in early access but it deserves your attention. I realize I'm being a shill right now but I promise you I am in no way affiliated with the developers of this game.

yes!! , i have it really good game , kind of hard to get used to holding diagonals to do special moves but aside from its pretty good and the netcode works very well

Lain

Would you guys recommend the Van Helsing games for someone who looooves Diablo? And, if so, which one should I go with?

Speaking about 1, only if you can get it cheap. What I played of it wasn't bad, but it felt a bit like a... lite Diablo clone (gameplay feeling), which is nice for a diversion in atmosphere from time to time (and the banter between the main character and the ghost is funny) but not much more.

If you loooooooove Diablo (for the gameplay, not for the story) play D3 (together with RoS, because adventure mode is important to get right in the action), unless you're already playing it. No other diablo clone does it right like D3 does when it comes to the gameplay department, coupled with the reward feeling of killing monsters and demons.

Or you can give a look at Path of Exile (I disliked it) or Grim Dawn (felt kind of janky to me but it's nice).

Tenrius

Crossposting:

The art & the writing could some work on, but I enjoyed the first chapter quite a bit regardless. It's an episodic cyberpunk/noir light adventure game with PLOT TWISTS.

Check it out: http://store.steampowered.com/app/313360/

And here are some screens from my Act 1 playthrough and the store page:

Note: it's not a KR0-like case of "AWESOME! ALL THE WAIT HAS FINALLY PAID OFF CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY IT", but rather a "Oh, it finally came out. I didn't think it would. Pretty nice, I guess!" one.

Baldurs Gate dark alliance 1&2 are still the best dungeon crawling loot quests for me.

Really? I tried getting into the game like three times, twice with other (admittedly rather reluctant) people and once solo. I liked it, the graphics were pretty damn sweet, but I dunno, something always ultimately distracted me from it. I do have a copy AND a working PS2 (two of them, even) right here with me and I do mean to give the game another whirl at some point.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Really? I tried getting into the game like three times, twice with other (admittedly rather reluctant) people and once solo. I liked it, the graphics were pretty damn sweet, but I dunno, something always ultimately distracted me from it. I do have a copy AND a working PS2 (two of them, even) right here with me and I do mean to give the game another whirl at some point.
Looked good and played well. It didn't do anything special for the genre but it was pretty polished and fun. The later stages were pretty nice too.

Lain

Baldurs Gate dark alliance 1&2 are still the best dungeon crawling loot quests for me.

Never played 2 (because I forgot to buy it!) but 1 was tons of fun. Always made me feel bad how people on certain forums badmouthed it as a piece of trash that wasn't worth of the holy Baldurs Gate name.

Any Candian Gaffers up to help me get this in 8 hours or more (because it's 1am here now and at night my card sometimes won't work, so don't wanna risk not being able to paypal right back~)?

Tenrius

Never played 2 (because I forgot to buy it!) but 1 was tons of fun. Always made me feel bad how people on certain forums badmouthed it as a piece of trash that wasn't worth of the holy Baldurs Gate name.

I mean, it's like calling Mario Kart a bad (Mario) game because it's not like SM64.

They were great dungeon crawlers. Maybe not worthy of the name, but still.

Maybe as a dungeon crawler, it was passable. As a game bearing the name of an RPG series that is still highly-regarded and (in many ways) superior to a lot of what came after, it's crap. I remember virtually nothing about it. Unremarkable in all the worst ways.

It's the Alien 3 of the series.

Did you have a magic ps1 that could play ps2 games?

One or the other. I had both back in the day. It was a long time ago.

Eila

Yeah, I couldn't reach it too :/

After giving up I saw someone going there and killing on the first try and got so maaad.

I don't think the final boss is super hard, what's hard is getting there with enough HP to take a hit or two.
I also never managed to beat him. Best I did was reach him with like 15 hp.
The falling blocks part always demolished me.

Jawmuncher

Maybe as a dungeon crawler, it was passable. As a game bearing the name of an RPG series that is still highly-regarded and (in many ways) superior to a lot of what came after, it's crap. I remember virtually nothing about it. Unremarkable in all the worst ways.

It's the Alien 3 of the series.

One or the other. I had both back in the day. It was a long time ago.

I don't think it's fair to call something crap just because of the name it uses even if it's different from its predecessors. Always bothers me how people associate names so heavily to what a game should be.

Also yes Dino Crisis 3 was a odd game, but I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt. I didn't write it off because of its name and setting. It just wasn't a good game.

Those are manageable (took me, I dunno, 10-20 tries). Especially when compared to True Final Boss, which I simply couldn't reach most of my tries - that secret level is truly the Dark Souls of indie platformers.

I did it.
Against the core I found it relatively easy to time my attacks once I took care of sue and misery.
I expected it to be a bit longer, and I'm not sure I really liked the difficulty spike at the end of the game. But overall it was a fantastic experience. Definitely one of my favorite metroidvanias of all time.
I'm probably going to replay it soon, to do all the alternative stuff
like saving curly and getting the other boots.

gdt

Now that I have a 980ti I've got a lot of room to work with.

I've never downsampled anything before and I don't really know how to do it or get the most out of it?

What do Gaf?

Nabs

reminder: it's Tuesday and 7pm est

Now that I have a 980ti I've got a lot of room to work with.

I've never downsampled anything before and I don't really know how to do it or get the most out of it?

What do Gaf?

look up dsr. it's super easy to set in the nvidia control panel.

I don't think it's fair to call something crap just because of the name it uses even if it's different from its predecessors. Always bothers me how people associate names so heavily to what a game should be.

Well, as someone who played the first game religiously (and still owns the physical "Complete" edition that had TotSC with it), I found DA1 to be unremarkable. The only things I remember is that I was getting extremely bored while fighting through some kind of swampy area, and not caring about the story at all, so I stopped and returned it (had a rental copy).

If a sequel isn't up to par with what preceded it, I'll call it out as such. I want to see some of these long-running series (especially with what Beamdog's doing with BG now) get better and keep going.

Lain

Alien 3 is the one where Ripley
is a half Alien
? Because that's the one I like the best.
No wait, that's Resurrection. Resurrection best Alien.

Messiah

is a half Alien

189.gif

Resurrection is just hot garbage all around. Alien 3 is just really forgettable but not that bad all things considering.

Lain

189.gif

Resurrection is just hot garbage all around. Alien 3 is just really forgettable but not that bad.

Resurrection has what could be seens as yuri undertones and Ripley hits those hops like a pro. Best Alien movie hands down.
Where's my PlatinumGames videogame?!

yuraya

is a half Alien

Resurrection had Ron Perlman and that epic under water sequence. It was a solid film just not as special as the first 2.

I really need to rewatch 3. I barely remember anything about it.

So, uh when I visit store pages in the client I'm getting a message that my account is VAC banned on every store page. Is anyone else seeing this?

Jawmuncher

Well, as someone who played the first game religiously (and still owns the physical "Complete" edition that had TotSC with it), I found DA1 to be unremarkable. The only things I remember is that I was getting extremely bored while fighting through some kind of swampy area, and not caring about the story at all, so I stopped and returned it (had a rental copy).

If a sequel isn't up to par with what preceded it, I'll call it out as such. I want to see some of these long-running series (especially with what Beamdog's doing with BG now) get better and keep going.

I mean it's understandable that you didn't like it. I was more referring to how in your original post it was more of a write off because it wasn't what you wanted due to its name. Which is still understandable due to your feelings for the series.

It was a bit over 3 hours. That's like half of what the dev said. But well, i'm okay with that.

Game itself was cool, altho nothing truly special imho.

The wildness and the atmosphere was top notch, especially at the very beginning when the place is completely new to you, the banter was also very entertaining but the rest, mhm, the exploring isn't really there simply because the forest just isn't very big.

You've seen pretty much all of it in the first 1 - 1.5 hours and from there on out you're mostly just going to the same places again.

The story,
while thrilling for the most part also ended a bit meh.

I don't regret buying or playing it, but i wouldn't wholeheartedly recommend it either.

This mirrors my experience with the game as well. I don't understand how the game is getting perfect review scores.

My main issue with the game is with the story. MAJOR STORY SPOILERS -
Nothing the father did makes much sense to me. You could say he was stricken by grief but in what world does that lead to him trying to spook the forest employees by making them think they're being watched? If he was in fact a killer then why leave the body behind one lock that someone or the other would eventually open? Why leave it there even if he didn't kill him, when the goal seemed to be to keep Henry away from the truth?

Also, we find out that this guy is living the life of a hermit who steals cans of peas to survive. How exactly did he manage to set up that camp with all that high tech equipment Henry talks about when he gets there? If the camp was setup by someone else, why was all his surveillance stuff in it? If the people who set up the camp (and were presumably doing soil studies) left, why didn't they tear down the place? Why was there such a large fence around the place when Delilah specifically mentions that biologists or botanists sometimes fence off a small area?

It feels like the story just asks you to accept a lot of stuff without thinking too much about it. Almost like they had a really cool idea for a mystery but they couldn't write an ending without it becoming completely unbelievable.

Anyway, I still enjoyed the game. It looks nice enough, has a great atmosphere, the chatter between Henry and Delilah is fun and the music by Chris Remo is pretty good. The gameplay is a little weak because of some tiresome backtracking. It's a good game but not as amazing as I think people (including myself) wanted it to be.

how long did it take you?

It took me just a bit over 4 hours.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
is a half Alien

mMiua.jpg

Alien Resurrection was a huge piece of shit. I still can't believe that basketball scene made it into the finished product.

AerialAir

Banned
Been playing alot of Xcom 2 (only 2 'employees' died-luck has been with the team-so far) with bursts of Fallout 4 and TW3 w/mods (really changing both games tones)

Really needing a first person shooter-and lasts weeks Doom campaign trailer really pumped me up.

Yeah, I hear a lot of fans (both from DooM1/2 and Doom 3) complaining about that trailer but to me it looked really good, not Doom 1 good, but 2016 Doom good, I hope it sells well. To keep idSoft alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom