• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exuro

This is a little off topic but I lent my brother my head set so we can talk to each other while playing dota as I have a nice standalone mic but it picks up my crappy speakers so I'm looking around for some nice head phones. Does anyone have an recommendations?

Forgot to mention, around 100. Don't have a fancy sound card or anything.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Both light and dark are completely borked for me, but the mobile site is fine.

Edit: Light is fine now.

I got an invite to the Family Sharing, yay.

But it seems that I have to authorize computers. Which means I have to log in my friend's computers and allow my library to be shared
Correct.

You could explore remote access though, if your friend lives far away. I tested it (just between my laptop and my desktop), it worked well.

As for the sharing, I wouldn't dilly dally if you see the countdown, as I got a warning at 3 minutes, then 2 and after that I didn't see anything... then BLAM! Game killed itself. I guess ideally you would sort it out before the countdown became an issue. The person sharing their library sends you a message before they start playing, etc.

Deques

Both light and dark are completely borked for me, but the mobile site is fine.

Edit: Light is fine now.

Light doesn't work, but the mobile is fine. So I am using the mobile version now. Luckily Chrome can force into mobile mode

Correct.

You could explore remote access though, if your friend lives far away. I tested it (just between my laptop and my desktop), it worked well.

I see, I guess I won't be sharing with strangers then :)

Wok

X1gX5ow.png

Without a doubt, when it comes to downloading big games, Origin is not on par with Steam. I will finally be able to play Battlefield 3 on Origin... after several days of trying to download it.

This is a little off topic but I lent my brother my head set so we can talk to each other while playing dota as I have a nice standalone mic but it picks up my crappy speakers so I'm looking around for some nice head phones. Does anyone have an recommendations?

Forgot to mention, around 100. Don't have a fancy sound card or anything.

Be careful and take headphones which are confortable for several hours. I have both kinds: ones which are confortable for an hour and then start to hurt, and ones which are confortable for an indefinite amount of time. Both are from the same brand: Philips.

I see, I guess I won't be sharing with strangers then :)

It is okay, you give your password and then you are still guarded by Steam Guard.

Wok

Never had any problems with Downloading smth at Origin :(

I never had a problem with Shank 2 or smaller games, but the "pause and resume" feature does not handle well big downloads such as BF3. I know, my Internet access is pretty clanky and I had to resume the download quite a few times. With Steam, the download resumes, while with Origin, it seems there is a whole hash check of the files, which takes far too long when it comes to 18 GB.

jediyoshi

Without a doubt, when it comes to downloading big games, Origin is not on par with Steam. I will finally be able to play Battlefield 3 on Origin... after several days of trying to download it.

Origin tends to work better with bigger downloads for me. I usually hit higher speeds and they sustain better, Steam tends to be all over the place. The bandwidth limit option makes the download speeds spike like crazy especially, it's usually a crap shoot whenever I enable it because it always tends to take the setting as more of a suggestion rather than a limit.

Origin tends to work better with bigger downloads for me. I usually hit higher speeds and they sustain better, Steam tends to be all over the place. The bandwidth limit option makes the download speeds spike like crazy especially, it's usually a crap shoot whenever I enable it because it always tends to take the setting as more of a suggestion rather than a limit.

Well, from my understanding the issue is Origin downloads in chunks, sometimes several GB in size. So if you get a connection problem or want to resume? Back you go.

This hit me about 3 times when trying to get Dead Space 3 and it ended up something like 22GB of data. I haven't even thought about trying to get BF3.

With Steam? Well you have to remember that most likely the data isn't coming from Valve, it is coming from a local mirror server. If it isn't, then you should adjust your settings so it is. Even then you might still get variability if the game you want isn't cached. This is why sometimes new or obscure games get poor speeds compared to others.

Moral is play around with where you download from as results may vary.

This whole post might also be misinformed garbage. Apologies if I'm rocking that 2006 understanding of the whole thing ;)

Well, from my understanding the issue is Origin downloads in chunks, sometimes several GB in size. So if you get a connection problem or want to resume? Back you go.

This hit me about 3 times when trying to get Dead Space 3 and it ended up something like 22GB of data. I haven't even thought about trying to get BF3.

With Steam? Well you have to remember that most likely the data isn't coming from Valve, it is coming from a local mirror server. If it isn't, then you should adjust your settings so it is. Even then you might still get variability if the game you want isn't cached. This is why sometimes new or obscure games get poor speeds compared to others.

Moral is play around with where you download from as results may vary.

This whole post might also be misinformed garbage. Apologies if I'm rocking that 2006 understanding of the whole thing ;)

Well is it another issue being that if Origin encounters an error while downloading it won't automatically restart the download? With steam I can download any large game and just leave it and go to sleep or do whatever without having to worry about anything.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Seems a weak final announcement, but I suppose you can't really announce a controller without announcing something to use it on first, and you can't really announce the machine until you've said what it'll run, so I see why they've done them in that order. Not sure it's really worth stretching out over a week like this though.

Cody_D165

Banned
Just noticed the Steampunk Groupee added Steam Keys for Naval Warfare, so here you go SteamGAF!

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Naval Warfare -- MB-8397514F2C9C0FD1 - Taken by Blablurn

zkylon

zkylewd
Seems a weak final announcement, but I suppose you can't really announce a controller without announcing something to use it on first, and you can't really announce the machine until you've said what it'll run, so I see why they've done them in that order. Not sure it's really worth stretching out over a week like this though.

I'm gonna be really disappointed if it's the controller

I hope it's something software related

JaseC

Following on from yesterday's announcement that Carmageddon Reincarnation will hit Steam Early Access in Q1 next year, Stainless today sent out an update announcing that everybody who pledged $15 or above will get "The Full Package" -- the full game plus any and all future DLC:

ALL KICKSTARTER/PAYPAL BACKERS WHO PAID TO RECEIVE THE GAME WILL GET THE FULL GAME PLUS ALL DLC!

Thursday, 26th September 2013. Isle of Wight, UK. Earlier today, Stainless Games Ltd. announced its Early Access plans for the release of Carmageddon: Reincarnation on Steam in Q1, 2014. Stainless also talked about how the final game would be followed by DLC packages to signal the company’s continued commitment to the game beyond the “final release”.

However, the announcement had the unforeseen consequence of causing confusion and some disquiet among the community who have backed the game’s development. Some commentators in the Kickstarter community made the point that it seemed unfair that the Backers weren’t now going to get the “whole” game – including all future DLC.

Jason Garber, Publishing Director at Stainless, said, “As the day went on, we kept discussing the feedback from the community, and it became clear that they had a valid point. And so we’ve decided to act on that point. We’ve concluded that the fair thing to do would be to make this announcement – that EVERY Kickstarter and Paypal Backer who pledged the $15 and above for a copy of the game will be eligible to get The Full Package. They’ll get the full, final version of Carmageddon: Reincarnation and ALL DLC, for the REST OF TIME.”

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Uh, is GAF doing weird things for anyone else?
P3Sw7WC.png

I guess it's a sign to head to bed.
Edit: nope, fixed by the time I posted. It was like that for a few minutes.
This is how GAF sometimes looks on my phone when the 3G connection craps out. It was about time you guys suffered that pain too, lol

Just in case there are some Aussies like me, who have been away from GAF, perhaps after a long day of work or study (Happy Friday evening!), or indeed anyone else who may have missed this several hours ago:

The_Monk's super-generous and community-minded raffle giveaway for his fellow GAFfers

My dear Monk, I missed you earlier, but thank you very much for this - you're a treasure, and (Steam)GAF is very lucky to have you and your positive brand of cheeriness.

Thanks for this.
And thank you fellow gaffer Monk!! You are da man (or Monk)!

Knurek

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

With all that talk about GFWL shutting down, I want to remind people that Bulletstorm requires an online GFWL account. Yes, even for the single-player portion of the game.

If you want to play your legally bought game, do so now, there's a high chance you will need to crack it once GFWL goes down.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I thought that the Hitman sales would end this afternoon, not now. I wanted to buy Codename 47 and Silent Assasin. <_<

But, for a future sale, as a person who really enjoyed Hitman Blood Money (played for the first time 6 months ago), should I buy Codename 47 and Silent Assassin?

Currently playing Absolution (previously bought), and beside the awful facepalm-instinct mechanic (but, on a positive note, for now, I wasn't forced to use it. I was able to avoid or distract guards), if you play on Hard like I'm doing its not much easier than Blood Money on normal.
How well is it regarded as an Hitman game? Probably the worst of them all. :lol
But it looks like it's full of unlockables, and the contracts look cool too.
Graphics are awesome. Not beign able to disable the hud it's just stupid.

JaseC

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

With all that talk about GFWL shutting down, I want to remind people that Bulletstorm requires an online GFWL account. Yes, even for the single-player portion of the game.

If you want to play your legally bought game, do so now, there's a high chance you will need to crack it once GFWL goes down.

Epic is discussing the matter internally, for what it's worth. No word on Gears PC, though.

Nabs

I can't keep up with all these bundles. I see a Nordic A & B bundle in the registry

A: Red Faction: Armageddon, The Guild II, Sup Com, Sup Com Forged Alliance

B: Painkiller H&D, Darksiders II, DSII - Crucible Pass, SpellForce 2, Gothic 4

I wouldn't be surprised if more stuff was added.

JaseC

Maybe in 15 years

I'm still waiting on ~$10 Black Ops. :(

Weren't we supposed to get a key for that dysfuctional systems game if you bought the groupees doujin bundle?

You need to use your Desura key to retrieve it:

You don't need to download the Desura client to register a key: just click here, signing in if necessary, then -- after registering the key -- select the "keys" option opposite the game name to generate a Steam one.

I forgot to buy the bundle myself, apparently. Bugger.

Wok

I own exactly 499 games on Steam. The 500th game won't be an average game, so my goal is to keep the library that way until Escape Goat 2 is released.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I thought that the Hitman sales would end this afternoon, not now. I wanted to buy Codename 47 and Silent Assasin. <_<

But, for a future sale, as a person who really enjoyed Hitman Blood Money (played for the first time 6 months ago), should I buy Codename 47 and Silent Assassin?

Currently playing Absolution (previously bought), and beside the awful facepalm-instinct mechanic (but, on a positive note, for now, I wasn't forced to use it. I was able to avoid or distract guards), if you play on Hard like I'm doing its not much easier than Blood Money on normal.
How well is it regarded as an Hitman game? Probably the worst of them all. :lol
But it looks like it's full of unlockables, and the contracts look cool too.
Graphics are awesome. Not beign able to disable the hud it's just stupid.
had played Blood Money a few years ago, and played Codename 47 and Silent Assassin a month or so before Absolution was released. The former felt extremely outdated, so much that I stopped at the 3rd mission and watched a Let's Play of the rest. The latter is rather similar to BM, but less flexible and with psychic enemies (guess the guys in Absolution took a few lessons from them).

I'd skip C47 and only get SA.

Deques

I own exactly 499 games on Steam. The 500th game won't be an average game, so my goal is to keep the library that way until Escape Goat 2 is released.

When I had 499 games I also thought the same thing. My 500th wouldn't be some crappy game. But in the end some average game became my 500th steam game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom