• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
jaundicejuice said:
Because they publish Bioware's games, along with a few other interesting PC games and can be slow with adding those games to my DD service of choice.

Is this a relatively recent stand off? If I recall correctly both Dragon Age and Mass Effect II were available for pre-order with optional digital deluxe editions. Whatever the case may be it is exceedingly frustrating and I can imagine it will extend to Dead Space 2.

So b/c Steam is the market leader in DD by far, EA actively devalues Steam by holding their products back. Remind me again how is this good competition?

REV 09

Gully State said:
So b/c Steam is the market leader in DD by far, EA actively devalues Steam by holding their products back. Remind me again how is this good competition?
reminds of the whole Netflix bullshit with having to wait 28 days for new releases.

graywolf323

ArjanN said:
Meh, US being invaded by North Korea isn't really any more far fetched than, say, COD:BLOPS story.

And I don't think it's only North Korea invading, it's some sort of asian coalition.

well that's only after North Korea somehow takes over the rest of Asia (or most of I haven't tried to read the backstory of the game in a while)

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
REV 09 said:
reminds of the whole Netflix bullshit with having to wait 28 days for new releases.

Yeah, "Wahhh we want people to BUY dvds/blu rays!!!" So now instead they wait 28 days and still don't buy them. FUCKING BRILLIANT!

butts

I didn't know where else to put this but...

Has anyone tried buying Gears of War off of the GFW Marketplace? I thought it would be cool to try it out on PC but a year or so ago while looking for it I heard it wouldn't even run anymore because of some ridiculous DRM bug or something, but it looks like they added it to the GFW service back in June. Is it safe to buy it or should I pass?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I guess it would run. I don't know, Random bugs is the main problem with GFWL, I am still pissed how long it took me to get SFIV to boot up after installing it.

Forkball

Drkirby said:
I guess it would run. I don't know, Random bugs is the main problem with GFWL, I am still pissed how long it took me to get SFIV to boot up after installing it.
I'm pissed at how long it took me to get Batman to work after installing it. It's amazing how something can be so fucking cumbersome. JUST LET US PLAY THE DAMN GAME.

Huh, just got a new update notification for the Steam client, with today's date. Here's the changelog:

January 10, 2011 - Steam client update released

A Steam client update is now available. To apply the update, click the File menu inside of Steam and then select "Check for Steam Client Updates...". The specific changes include:

Steam

Made various improvements to Recommendations:
Made some general improvements to the algorithm to make "Similar Items" a little more similar
Changed primary source for generated recommendations to be recent playtime rather than recent purchases, prioritizing "new to you" games (ie, games where your recent playtime makes up the bulk of your total playtime for that game)
Fixed DLC recommendations showing for games you haven't really played yet
Games you've recommended will now be shown on your community profile page
Fixed friend recommendations for free games you haven't yet played to show on your recommended page just like friend recommendations for games you don't own.
Added links to the new "Friend Activity" page to the store homepage and community home panel.
Added Turkish translation to the Steam client
[Windows] Chinese, Japanese, and Korean typing support in the in-game overlay, for some games
Fixed a case where a hyperlink in chat could take you to a player's profile instead
Fixed community opening to your profile instead of the blotter when community is your favorite window (thanks Sir_Brizz!)
Improved Matchmaking function performance
Fixed starting game executables with very long command line parameters (>255 characters)
Fixed keyboard navigation in menus
[Mac OSX] Overlay improved (works with Farming Simulator) and fixed an OpenGL state bug
[Mac OSX] Implemented Minimize Cmd-M menu command.
[Mac OSX] Improved Cmd-W to be more reliable
Fix games not launching after resolving a Cloud conflict
[Mac OSX] Fix layout on file open dialog when adding a non-Steam game
Fix layout on server browser dialog
Removed code for the now-ended Civilization V charity promotion
[Mac OS X] Fixed cursor not showing up in game overlay on some games
[Mac OS X] Dock Icon will not persistently bounce once it has a badge with a count of pending IMs.
Fixed Steam not remembering Cloud settings in certain situations.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
butts said:
I didn't know where else to put this but...

Has anyone tried buying Gears of War off of the GFW Marketplace? I thought it would be cool to try it out on PC but a year or so ago while looking for it I heard it wouldn't even run anymore because of some ridiculous DRM bug or something, but it looks like they added it to the GFW service back in June. Is it safe to buy it or should I pass?

There was a huge oversight in the date the game's digital certificate was set to expire - Jan. 28th 2009. After users brought it to Epic's attention, it was soon patched. How something like that got through QA is beyond me. :lol

To answer your question, the game is safe.

Truespeed

I was just greeted with a 200MB update to Lara Croft GOL. I'm guessing it's downloading all of the DLC I'll never buy - I hate when games do this.

Truespeed said:
I was just greeted with a 200MB update to Lara Croft GOL. I'm guessing it's downloading all of the DLC I'll never buy - I hate when games do this.
I rather download the DLC that I will never buy then fracture the online community. There is nothing worse then games that fracture the online the community because of DLC.

Eaten By A Grue said:
I rather download the DLC that I will never buy then fracture the online community. There is nothing worse then games that fracture the online the community because of DLC.

NOTHING worse...

hehe, though i agree

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
graywolf323 said:
the free character pack came out a month ago or so
Not on PC. Kane & Lynch came out the other day with all the other DLC. They are free and they are downloaded automatically. I bought all the other DLC (2 map packs and the other character pack) and it was another 800 mb.

graywolf323

morningbus said:
By the looks of it, Black Light Tango Down will be the midweek sale: http://store.steampowered.com/app/27330/

it's been 50% off since towards the end of last week

Stallion Free said:
Not on PC. Kane & Lynch came out the other day with all the other DLC. They are free and they are downloaded automatically. I bought all the other DLC (2 map packs and the other character pack) and it was another 800 mb.

ah okay for some reason I thought it came out for PC a month ago

my bad

MoFuzz

morningbus said:
Ah, didn't realize that. Carry on then.
You may have unknowingly opened up the floodgates for another 3 pages of Vampires sale begging.

What have you done?!?!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Look, if saying "I know for a fact that Kotick himself will hit the switch, putting Bloodlines on sale for $1.00 tomorrow on Steam" is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Joe Molotov

toasty_T said:
So, can we expect to see a midweek sale tomorrow?

Nope, Steam is full price now from here on out. There was no midweek sale last week, no weekend sale (unless you count Tango, which sucks and nobody in their right mind would buy it at any price), and now it's Tuesday with no midweek sale yet. Face it, weekly sales are all over. You should have stocked up at Christmas like me, deal with it.

MoFuzz

I thought we had come to the general consensus that Railworks and its legion were the de-facto standard of what is purchased if you have too much money and feel compelled to spend more.

Joe Molotov said:
Nope, Steam is full price now from here on out. There was no midweek sale last week, no weekend sale (unless you count Tango, which sucks and nobody in their right mind would buy it at any price), and now it's Tuesday with no midweek sale yet. Face it, weekly sales are all over. You should have stocked up at Christmas like me, deal with it.
I am okay with this.

Shaneus

A midweek sale after the holiday onslaught is like walking through the world's biggest supermarket and finding one item on sale with everything else at full price. It just feels pissweak.

Lime

Why is Max Payne listed as a new release? I've noticed my gaming library icons for both MP games have changed. A new update of some sort?

MoFuzz

Lime said:
Why is Max Payne listed as a new release? I've noticed my gaming library icons for both MP games have changed. A new update of some sort?
Proper Widescreen support confirmed. ZOMG

Shaneus

Lime said:
It was just made available in Australia (and possibly other regions). Perhaps in preparation for MP3?

Luthos

Will The Witcher II Premium Edition preorder be on special like that all the way until it's release? Because I plan on getting that game, but I don't want to drop $45 on it 5 months or so beforehand.

graywolf323

Luthos said:
Will The Witcher II Premium Edition preorder be on special like that all the way until it's release? Because I plan on getting that game, but I don't want to drop $45 on it 5 months or so beforehand.

yep should be :) CD Projekt isn't Bioware :p

Kritz

Banned
Shaneus said:
It was just made available in Australia (and possibly other regions). Perhaps in preparation for MP3?

Yeah and right after the sales, the assholes!

I'm more baffled as to why we can now buy Manhunt. R18+ rating or otherwise, that game is still banned here last I saw.

I'm not complaining (except for the fact that some idiots might now buy a bad game), but I do find it super weird. Especially considering Valve hasn't fixed our shitty L4D2 yet.

Also,

Eaten By A Grue said:
I rather download the DLC that I will never buy then fracture the online community.

I love than / then confusions sometimes.

Rubezh

Stallion Free said:

Are they any good? I thought the free TTGB pack was rather disappointing.

Psy-Phi

Joe Molotov said:
Lies and deceit! They're just giving the publishers a frickin break after nearly the entire catalog was on sale. I have no roof that the sales will return,I just feel it in the sub-cockles of my heart.

John

Psy-Phi said:
Lies and deceit! They're just giving the publishers a frickin break after nearly the entire catalog was on sale. I have no roof that the sales will return,I just feel it in the sub-cockles of my heart.
maybe now you can put off buying games for a while and get a new roof

IrishNinja

morningbus said:
Look, if saying "I know for a fact that Kotick himself will hit the switch, putting Bloodlines on sale for $1.00 tomorrow on Steam" is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

FORWARDING THIS POST TO KOATKU, BRB

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Shaneus said:
A midweek sale after the holiday onslaught is like walking through the world's biggest supermarket and finding one item on sale with everything else at full price. It just feels pissweak.
"Canned Marshmallows, now 75% off! You know you love Marshmallows, now own Marshmallows THAT ARE IN A CAN!"

Joe Molotov

Shaneus said:

But what if that one item was VtM: Bloodlines?
AwesomeFace.png

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Here I am on January 11th, and there's no Dragon Age 2 preorder, Signature Edition or otherwise.

I got trolled.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
If you guys are so eager to spend money i'll sugest looking at the 10 dollars or less categories, lots of cool games that get overlooked are found there. Just saying.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I guess I'll go ahead and preorder DA2 off of Impulse, before midnight.

They have the preorder for $10 less than everywhere else, fyi.

K.Jack said:
I guess I'll go ahead and preorder DA2 off of Impulse, before midnight.

They have the preorder for $10 less than everywhere else, fyi.
watch they'll have it up tomorrow and with some steam exclusive content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom