• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vamphuntr

DyslexicAlucard said:
Seriously, I even go to my Impulse history and neither BF3 nor AC: R show up, despite being explicitly told that they were added to my Impulse account. Did they kill it already? I wanted to at least get a BF3 key for Origin :(

It took a while for me for BF3 to show up. AC won't show up in your games tab because it's a preorder. You should have your receipt on impulsedriven.com in your account. Just quit Impulse and restart it so it has to sync again. I just received the BF3 confirmation email and I was in the first wave that got it (still got the key in impulse fairly quickly). Seems like impulse is slow because of the heavy traffic.

Fox318

Chronoja said:
Lol at people thinking I "missed out on the glitch"

As far as I'm concerned it's outright theft, worse than piracy where you can assume that pirates have the potential to pay for their own copy eventually.

I'd rather pay for my games, even if that means heavily discounted. Not outright steal them through someone elses mistake.

*but*, it's not my place to judge lol, I suppose congratulations to all you opportunistic folk :)
Devs and pubs get their money. Its IGN that made the mistake.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I have a feeling none of us will be playing free AC from this. Too much time to rectify the mistake.

Edit: Battlefield 3 is 25% done, hah.

Chronoja said:

As far as I'm concerned it's outright theft, worse than piracy where you can assume that pirates have the potential to pay for their own copy eventually.

I'd rather pay for my games, even if that means heavily discounted. Not outright steal them through someone elses mistake.

*but*, it's not my place to judge lol, I suppose congratulations to all you opportunistic folk :)
oh0dgm.gif

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Chronoja said:

This is adorable!

ClosingADoor said:
Shit is amazingly strange.

Go to View Cart -> Login -> Login here with your account info (yes, you already did when starting the application, but whatever) -> My Account -> View Past Orders.
Oh that's perfectly intuitive. Thanks. :p

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
AC:R can't be redeemed by Europeans I think on Impulse/GameStop because it's not sold at all for us so here's my code:

Edit: taken.

BF3 worked though, thanks dude :)

Fox318 said:
Devs and pubs get their money. Its IGN that made the mistake.

Yes, they get IGN's money for the deal, but they don't get mine/your money if a) we were interested in their games but managed to grab them for free b) didn't have an IGN sub.

GuiltybyAssociation said:
This is adorable!
I dunno, I kinda feel the same, didn't stop me from doing it though. But abusing a mistake from somebody to get free games can sound pretty bad to me.

EDIT: From a moral standpoint.

jediyoshi

ClosingADoor said:
Go to View Cart -> Login -> Login here with your account info (yes, you already did when starting the application, but whatever) -> My Account -> View Past Orders.
Yikes, sad a business that deals explicitly with doing transactions can't get their stuff together for digital distribution.

Chronoja said:

WONT SOMEONE THINK OF THE CORPORATIONS

aasoncott

Chronoja said:

In my mind, it's like a bookstore putting a box out saying "free books", but accidentally putting a bunch of stuff in there that wasn't supposed to be free. If you take one, are you stealing? No. Is it morally wrong to take it, knowing that it was likely an accident? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I sure as hell grabbed B3 and AC.

Alextended said:
AC:R can't be redeemed by Europeans I think on Impulse/GameStop because it's not sold at all for us so here's my code:

BF3 worked though, thanks dude :)
I redeemed ACR just fine in Holland. Maybe it's different for other countries.

But too late on BF3 :(

Rapstah

I'll be damned.

DpSIe.png

I suppose they could trace this through the "GameStop Signature Edition" tag, but how would they tell which keys were actually taken by people who happened to actually sign up for prime in the time this happened?

alf717

Are the impulse codes giving out AC:R Signature Edition or the regular edition? What is impulse like? How are the games delivered?

Edit:

And just like that Rapstah answers part of my question. =)

alf717 said:
Are the impulse codes giving out AC:R Signature Edition or the regular edition? What is impulse like? How are the games delivered?

Edit:

And just like that Rapstah answers part of my question. =)
Impulse is like Steam but crap, so you get it through a download client.

Wichu

alf717 said:
Signature Edition. I just got the Origin code after redeeming BF3 on Impulse, and redeemed it there as well. I assume you'll be able to do the same for AC. The games are digital download through whatever service you register them on.

Rapstah

ClosingADoor said:
Could just cancel them all and give Prime members a new code.
With the way they were handed out, do you suppose they can tell? The site couldn't tell at the time they were handed out, so why should they have been able to keep records and not have used them to limit people from taking the keys in the first place?

EDIT: Oh hang on, this doesn't in any way limit the situation you described.

vazel

Banned
Rapstah said:
I'll be damned.

DpSIe.png

I suppose they could trace this through the "GameStop Signature Edition" tag, but how would they tell which keys were actually taken by people who happened to actually sign up for prime in the time this happened?
I wonder what the logistical situation to remove all these codes would be like at Impulse if IGN were to make them agree to do so. I wonder if Impulse would want to waste their time and money helping IGN rectify their screw-up. When Gamespot erroneously gave out full copies of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light for PSN we got to keep those games.

jediyoshi

alf717 said:
Don't even see an Impulse page for the GS signature edition so I'd imagine it's just thee signature edition along with whatever PO benefits they would've given out.

Mechazawa

Gamestop Signature Edition is the only version up on Impulse.

I've also never heard of someone retroactively cancelling keys they bought from a website.

alf717

I take it this is dead huh? I have AC:R pre-ordered for $32.99 which is the gimped Amazon version. No Vlad or blade. If I paid $6.95 (one month) for prime can I get a free code anyway?

Wichu said:
Signature Edition. I just got the Origin code after redeeming BF3 on Impulse, and redeemed it there as well. I assume you'll be able to do the same for AC. The games are digital download through whatever service you register them on.
Well, I don't think you can redeem Assassins Creed somewhere else since it won't be a steamworks game or an origin game.

Mechazawa said:
Gamestop Signature Edition is the only version up on Impulse.

I've also never heard of someone retroactively cancelling keys they bought from a website.
I think Ubisoft canceled the preorders that came from EVERYTHING IS ONE DOLLAR UbiGate, but the stuff that handed out keys still works to this day.

Nelo Ice

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
Shit be hilarious. Lulz first Target now this. Crosses fingers.

The past month has been quite nice for glitches and such. Free ms points, target glitch and now this. Not to mention the legit free orcs must die and sanctum dlc lol.

Gvaz

Banned
Chronoja said:
Forgive me if I missed something but have the last few pages of this thread been about people rampantly stealing games due to a glitch in IGN's website?
You mad. Taking advantage of a good thing is suddenly bad?

*slidewhistle noise*

Rapstah

But didn't Impulse actually hand out the keys, with IGN just providing the code that we redeemed to Gamespot? That would make this a two-step process to actually get to the codes that were taken and I really doubt that's worth the time.

I've restarted Impulse multiple times, and checked my account history, and nothing :S

I hope it has nothing to do with me being in Canada. Oh well, I have to go to work soon, so it's in fate's hands now.

Vamphuntr

DyslexicAlucard said:
I've restarted Impulse multiple times, and checked my account history, and nothing :S

I hope it has nothing to do with me being in Canada. Oh well, I have to go to work soon, so it's in fate's hands now.

I'm in Canada and it worked for me... Maybe GS finally pulled the plug?

Chronoja

Calm down, I'm really not trying to be inflammitory in any way. I won't lie though I am intrigued by the reaction to my comment.

I just don't see how it isn't theft however

It was a glitch in the system that allowed people to aquire games without paying the money required to obtain them legitamitely. And since you have your official copy of the game you won't be expected to pay the money for it in the future.

If someone shoplifts from a store because the security cameras are offline doesn't disguise the fact that it's theft. Aquiring items without consent or proper payment is....theft no?

On the flipside, having EA and Ubisoft stolen from, I couldn't think of better companies to steal from, but I still don't full agree with it.

Gvaz

Banned
Chronoja said:

If you're not taking advantage of every good thing to come your way, you're not living life correctly.

Chronoja said:
I just don't see how it isn't theft however

It was a glitch in the system that allowed people to aquire games without paying the money required to obtain them legitamitely. And since you have your official copy of the game you won't be expected to pay the money for it in the future.

I don't think anyone cares if it is or isn't.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
ClosingADoor said:
I redeemed ACR just fine in Holland. Maybe it's different for other countries.

But too late on BF3 :(
Is there any indication in your account that ACR is added? Maybe it worked for me too and I just didn't realise? But the game didn't get added so I went to manual registration and ACR wasn't even on the game list so I couldn't do that, only the other AC games were, while going to "Explore" and going to the ACR preorder page it said it's available in NA only or whatever with red letters, like tons of other games on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom