• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

You can always try closing Steam, deleting clientregistry.blob and starting it back up.

If that doesn't work, the nuclear strike option might work: Delete the entire Steam folder except for steam.exe and the steamapps subfolder.

edit: NEVERMIND

Haven't been able to figure out what to do for Gundemonium Recollection, but I think you have to at least make it to 3B for GundeadliGne.

Figured it out. The achievement's a pun: "Keep the Spirit of Christmas alive." In GundeadliGne 3A, there's a miniboss named "Noel Blanc" - French for "white Christmas." Don't kill her, and she eventually leaves, granting the achievement. I imagine it's the same in Gundemonium.

Edit: Just confirmed it. In Gundemonium Stage 1B, the midboss is Noel. Again, don't kill her, and then you the achievement.

Volcynika

Figured it out. The achievement's a pun: "Keep the Spirit of Christmas alive." In GundeadliGne 3A, there's a miniboss named "Noel Blanc" - French for "white Christmas." Don't kill her, and she eventually leaves, granting the achievement. I imagine it's the same in Gundemonium.

Edit: Just confirmed it. In Gundemonium Stage 1B, the midboss is Noel. Again, don't kill her, and then you the achievement.

Thank you kindly, sir!

I got the Sanctum achievement last night. I was surprised it ran on my netbook, but after getting the presents I deleted it and put it in my "Future Computer" category. This morning I only had a few minutes so I did the first Beat Hazard survival achievement. I'm going to try for the rest tonight. I also tried the Super Meat Boy achievements, but I didn't stand a chance.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Doing my annual "go through everything in the Steam catalogue to try to find some indies I've never heard of before, add them to my wishlist, and pick them up for pennies during the Christmas sale" ritual.

This post is a combination "check it out" / "save me from making a huge mistake if any of these are super turds":
Flock! (4.99 regular, published by Capcom, you play as a UFO and herd/catch sheep)
Alpha Prime (4.99 regular, 59 Metacritic sci-fi FPS circa-2005 or so visually)
Space Trader: Merchant Marine (4.99 regular, Steam achievements, some sort of sci-fi FPS / trading game)
Guns of Icarus (4.99 regular, Pirate/Steampunk third person shooter, maybe?)
Chaser (4.99 regular, 66 metacritic, low budget FPS)
Greed: Black Border (4.99 regular, hack-and-slash with guns, sci-fi theme)
Aura: Fate of the Ages (4.99 regular, 63 metacritic, first-person adventure game)
Critical Mass (4.99 regular, kind of like a 3D Rubik's Cube themed Guru Logic champ meets Tetris? Puzzle)
Astro Tripper (4.99 regular, I know this was a near-launch XBLA game, sort of like an old looking shmup)
Tobe's Vertical Adventure (4.99 regular, actiony platformer, was originally on Xbox Indies, got a big patch to fix controls so if you played it when it first came out, check it out again)
Project Freedom (2.99 regular, looks like a space rail shooter like Star Fox)
American Conquest (4.99 regular, 76 Metacritic, historical RTS set in the early colonization of America period)
Gumboy Tournament (2.99 regular, a sort of marble-ish puzzle game maybe?)
Fortix (0.99 regular, seems like Qix or Jezzball or something with a medieval theme?)
A Stroke of Fate: Operation Valkyrie (9.99 regular, historical themed adventure game)

That's it so far but as you can see I'm still in the very bottom price brackets. Any other recommendations, or last minute info to save me from myself?

Edit 1:
Gemini Lost (5.99 regular, casual friendship puzzle adventure i luv u)
Westward IV: All Aboard (6.99, base building strategy wild west train track game)
FATALE (6.99, first person exploration / scene viewing, one of those non-adventure adventure games?)
The Great Art Race (7.99, grow tobacco and sell it to raise money to buy your art back and it looks like maybe there's an adventure or hidden object component too wtf?)
Rochard (9.99, just came out on PSN, action puzzle platformer, 81 metacritic)
Sideway: NY (9.99, just came out on PSN, grafitti themed platformer)

Edit 2:
Star Wars: Republic Commando (9.99, FPS. Probably crummy like most Star Wars games. 78 metacritic)
Death and the Fly (9.99, very garish looking puzzle platformer)
Pizza Frenzy (9.99, obscure Popcap game, seems mostly kind of time management based)
Pat and Mat (9.99, claymation family / kids adventure / puzzle game?)
Governor of Poker 2 (9.99, a simulation / town-building game, maybe?, set in Texas oh and you also play poker?)

Edit 3:
Dimensity (9.99, kind of bad looking fantasy hack-and-slash RPG)
Vigil: Blood Bitterness (9.99, Sin City/Madworld style visuals, maybe a puzzle adventure game?, 61 Metacritic)
Gumboy: Crazy Adventures (9.99, not sure if this is better or worse or comes before or after the other Gumboy game on this list)
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (9.99, movie license game)
Mevo and the Grooveriders (9.99, automatic platformer meets rhythm game, was kind of cool on iOS for a few minutes, 72 Metacritic)
Tycoon City: New York (9.99, tycoon game)
Ceville (9.99, weird looking adventure game)

Glass Rebel

^I'm just gonna say that Tobe's Vertical Adventure has awful controls. Maybe they fixed it by now but when I tried the demo I couldn't stomach it.

goober

Doing my annual "go through everything in the Steam catalogue to try to find some indies I've never heard of before, add them to my wishlist, and pick them up for pennies during the Christmas sale" ritual.

This post is a combination "check it out" / "save me from making a huge mistake if any of these are super turds":

Hmm.. Greed looks good. It's the only one I looked at actually.

Maybe it's cause I'm craving action RPGs.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
^ From what I remember of Alpha Prime, it's really rather shit.

I like shitty FPS games. I can't handle things as shitty as Exodus from the Earth, but I did finish Judge Dredd: Dread versus Death. On the poop scale, how butt would you say Alpha Prime is?

Critical Mass (4.99 regular, kind of like a 3D Rubik's Cube themed Guru Logic champ meets Tetris? Puzzle)
I'd say the closest match is Art Style: Cubello* only you can freely rotate the cube and its lacking of the smarter things Cubello had (no ammo clip system, the pieces of the cube don't fall to the centre so no chaining that way; it does have a powerup system which is nowhere near as cheap as Cubello's Super Bonus Time). That said it is fairly tough from the outset and due to the free rotation of the cube is a but more action packed than Cubello was.

Has a fairly small demo and it was cheap last sale so easy enough to give a quick look.

*-Colour matching in 3D. So a little bit like Tetrisphere.

Roquentin

Got Xmas achievements in Audiosurf, Defense Grid, Orcs Must Die, Sequence and Trine. Most of them take less than 10 minutes, except for Trine which took a bit more (and will take quite a bit if you haven't finished it yet).

So, only Renegade Ops left for me. I don't even know why I'm doing this.

Flock is fun.
Critical Mass is pretty good
Fortix 2 is much better than the first one, try Lightfish, same gameplay but no medieval theme (more like neon fish or something)
Chaser was decent at the time, I'm not sure how it holds up today
Rochard is a must have
Sideway is really good.

Have you looked into :
Altitude : really good shooter
Defy Gravity Extented : same
Galaxy Sandbox : mezmerising
Eversion : a true gem that suck you into it and blow you away during the 2 hours it lasts. Better be played in one sitting.
Inside a star filled sky : a retro shoot ala Inception
Star Ruler : space sim

(I didn't include more or less famous indie games that came in recent popular Bundle)

Thomper

Flock! (4.99 regular, published by Capcom, you play as a UFO and herd/catch sheep)
Alpha Prime (4.99 regular, 59 Metacritic sci-fi FPS circa-2005 or so visually)
Space Trader: Merchant Marine (4.99 regular, Steam achievements, some sort of sci-fi FPS / trading game)
Guns of Icarus (4.99 regular, Pirate/Steampunk third person shooter, maybe?)
Chaser (4.99 regular, 66 metacritic, low budget FPS)
Aura: Fate of the Ages (4.99 regular, 63 metacritic, first-person adventure game)
Astro Tripper (4.99 regular, I know this was a near-launch XBLA game, sort of like an old looking shmup)
Tobe's Vertical Adventure (4.99 regular, actiony platformer, was originally on Xbox Indies, got a big patch to fix controls so if you played it when it first came out, check it out again)
Project Freedom (2.99 regular, looks like a space rail shooter like Star Fox)
American Conquest (4.99 regular, 76 Metacritic, historical RTS set in the early colonization of America period)
Gumboy Tournament (2.99 regular, a sort of marble-ish puzzle game maybe?)
Fortix (0.99 regular, seems like Qix or Jezzball or something with a medieval theme?)
A Stroke of Fate: Operation Valkyrie (9.99 regular, historical themed adventure game)

That's it so far but as you can see I'm still in the very bottom price brackets. Any other recommendations, or last minute info to save me from myself?

Fortix is pretty fun. I was looking for a Qix-clone on the PC and picked this up, and... well, it's a good/great Qix-game. Worth buying if you're into that. The sequel is also on Steam, costs a little more but includes all the levels from the original too and has Steam Achievements.

1-D_FTW

I've only played the demo of Rochard, but the demo kicks butt and is definitely on my Holiday sale list.

EDIT: Reinstalling Poker Night at the Inventory. How pissed would you guys be if I got 3 Kings on my second hand?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Fortix is pretty fun. I was looking for a Qix-clone on the PC and picked this up, and... well, it's a good/great Qix-game. Worth buying if you're into that. The sequel is also on Steam, costs a little more but includes all the levels from the original too and has Steam Achievements.

I'd say the closest match is Art Style: Cubello* only you can freely rotate the cube and its lacking of the smarter things Cubello had (no ammo clip system, the pieces of the cube don't fall to the centre so no chaining that way; it does have a powerup system which is nowhere near as cheap as Cubello's Super Bonus Time). That said it is fairly tough from the outset and due to the free rotation of the cube is a but more action packed than Cubello was.

Has a fairly small demo and it was cheap last sale so easy enough to give a quick look.

*-Colour matching in 3D. So a little bit like Tetrisphere.
Flock is fun.
Critical Mass is pretty good
Fortix 2 is much better than the first one, try Lightfish, same gameplay but no medieval theme (more like neon fish or something)
Chaser was decent at the time, I'm not sure how it holds up today
Rochard is a must have
Sideway is really good.

et al. to the others and anyone after now who gives input.

Thanks a lot. Even a few words of feedback helps me make decisions.

Have you looked into :
Altitude : really good shooter
Defy Gravity Extented : same
Galaxy Sandbox : mezmerising
Eversion : a true gem that suck you into it and blow you away during the 2 hours it lasts. Better be played in one sitting.
Inside a star filled sky : a retro shoot ala Inception
Star Ruler : space sim

I liked Eversion a lot and I do own Inside a Star Filled Sky which was kind a neat novelty. Your list here reminded me that I always meant to pick up Galaxy Sandbox though, thanks.

Zizbuka

Banned
I was going through my installed-but-never-touched games last night, came across Scourge Project. Not sure how I got it, maybe in a bundle. I was expecting something like that turd Lugaru or whatever it's called. Boy was I surprised. It's actually pretty good, nice graphics, more polished than I expected.

Turfster

I like shitty FPS games. I can't handle things as shitty as Exodus from the Earth, but I did finish Judge Dredd: Dread versus Death. On the poop scale, how butt would you say Alpha Prime is?

It was a long time ago, but uh... at least rhino turd? Maybe even elephant patty. IDK

[snip]
I got FATALE for free a while back and it's basically interactive art based on a play by Oscar Wilde. It has no replay value whatsoever and you'll finish it in an hour. I found it interesting, but calling it good would be an exaggeration.

1-D_FTW

So I loaded up Poker Night at the Inventory for the first time, kept folding (about 10 times) until I got a King in my first two cards. Called. Two more kings showed up. I had 3 Kings, a 2 card, and a 4 card. Went all in and the others all folded. First fucking hand I actually play and BAM. Achievement unlocked. Suck it :lol

Valve is making it up to me for when TF2 launched and I was locked out of random drops.

EDIT: Stupid keyboard doesn't keep F-keys unlocked and I fumbled around to long to get a screenshot of that wretched hand winning.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Fucking hell, Bit Trip Beat doesn't regonize my controller! Damn.
Anybody got any ideas? It's not a 360 controller, it's a third party one, but it works in Windows.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Heh, wow. Loaded up Red Orchestra 2 for the achievement, joined an empty Commissar's House server, capped a node, achievement popped. I back out to see if I can hop into a real server for a couple rounds, get my bolt action rifle on for a bit. All I see is empty servers though.

I got some pretty banging TF2 hats and KF skins for my money, at least.

Mihos

Gold Member
I can log into Steam and see my games and stuff, but I can't add items to my wish list... it keeps asking me for my password over and over.....

What a tease!

EDIT: And now it is fixed... that was quick!

1-D_FTW

Too many people playing games and downloading updates for the Holiday cheesemints. It's been wonky for days now. I guess it's good that things leaked and this server load is happening before the actual sales start though.

Bliddo

I left my computer running all night with Auto Mouse Click always calling/checking, right clicking to skip dialogs, and starting new games. I still didn't get it.

I just started a new game every time, and played only if I had at least one king in my hand. Glad it's over x_x

I'm trying to resist holiday achievement hunting until the sale begins but this thread is making that difficult! Checking out the wiki, this seems like a step up from the Summer sale.

hylje

12 winter achievements so far. Cave Story+, Beat Hazard, Revenge of the Titans and Bit Trip Runner (are those even counted for Winter?) not done yet.

Yet again I have no clue why I'm doing this.

lowestdregs

Neo Member
The Solar 2 achievement is pretty easy - took about 2mins, if that.

May take an extra minute or two working out how to play it if someone is new to the game?

Mimir

Dude! Why would you not go all in? Go all in and hope people fold. They probably wouldn't have with that middle draw, but you have to at least try.
The wikia says "In order for it to work you must play the hand till the end against atleast 1 opponent." Is that wrong?

1-D_FTW

The wikia says "In order for it to work you must play the hand till the end against atleast 1 opponent." Is that wrong?

The end = winning the hand. I did this the very first hand I actually played and got it.

Had a 2 and K. Then I drew K, K, 4 in the middle hand. Went all in and everyone else then folded. Won with 2, 4, K, K, K and the achievement unlocked immediately.

Askani

Fortix 1 and 2 are decent time killers. I liked the first one enough to (almost) 100% it anyway. I've played a fair amount of 2 also. It is most definitely a Qix clone. Has some nifty elements and maps to it that kept me playing through. My biggest complaint with both games is that with your guy, it's really hard to tell when you're back on your baseline. Qix will give you an alarm and kill you if you move out and wait. Fortix won't. Like if you started to move out and think you've moved all the way back but didn't, or when you didn't even intend to start a new line and you actually did. Then a Dragon or a random shot will kill you and you thought you were safe. I think your char should automatically track back or something but it doesn't.

Other than that I think they are fine. The mechanics are so simple they don't really leave a lot of room for problems or greatness. Fortix 1 is $1 and 2 has a demo.

Mimir

The end = winning the hand. I did this the very first hand I actually played and got it.

Had a 2 and K. Then I drew K, K, 4 in the middle hand. Went all in and everyone else then folded. Won with 2, 4, K, K, K and the achievement unlocked immediately.
Damn, I missed your earlier post about that. Well, that's good to know for later games.

PaulLFC

Registry sale-related stuff:

id Pack
Mumbo Jumbo Pack
Paradox Pack
Popcap Pack
Codemasters Pack
Ubisoft Pack
Trainz Collection
Warner Bros Pack
Kalypso Pack
1C Complete Pack
Bethesda Pack
Strategy First Pack
Telltale Pack
THQ Pack
2K Pack
Square Pack
Sega Pack
Rockstar Pack
Railworks 3 Complete Pack (I want to see the price of this!)
Awesome Indie Bundle
Super Indie Bundle
Mega Indie Bundle

Notable, unless I can't read, that Capcom don't have a pack listed in the registry, and none of the games marked 'Gift' are Capcom games either.

Volcynika

Registry sale-related stuff:

id Pack
Mumbo Jumbo Pack
Paradox Pack
Popcap Pack
Codemasters Pack
Ubisoft Pack
Trainz Collection
Warner Bros Pack
Kalypso Pack
1C Complete Pack
Bethesda Pack
Strategy First Pack
Telltale Pack
THQ Pack
2K Pack
Square Pack
Sega Pack
Rockstar Pack
Railworks 3 Complete Pack (I want to see the price of this!)
Awesome Indie Bundle
Super Indie Bundle
Mega Indie Bundle

Notable, unless I can't read, that Capcom don't have a pack listed in the registry, and none of the games marked 'Gift' are Capcom games either.

Capcom being terrible at sales? That's a new one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom