• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

SmokyDave said:
I did a backflip over a river but I didn't bother taking a photo because I already own Portal.

Also, I think it might have been a stream, not a river.

you would have been disqualified sir

JaseC said:
It fits!

usXB5.jpg

the fact that you included the whole sprite instead of the head is what makes it

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
SalsaShark said:
the fact that you included the whole sprite instead of the head is what makes it

I thought about that at first, but then I realised I'd be making more of an effort than B^U.

Salsa

JaseC said:
The easiest way to check is to visit the profile of a Valve employee. I wonder if anyone at Valve has every Steam game installed. *ponders*

Jesus, 140 hours on GRID, 18 hours un Burnout, 20 hours on FUEL, 10 on Dirt 2..

Erik Wolpaw only plays racing games confirmed

edit: well he does have 100 hours on duels of the planeswalkers <3

StuBurns

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
Oh you should hear me when I try to imitate bogans, it's like some kind of internal class struggle.
"I don't think that's money, I believe money to be green, mother."

SmokyDave

SalsaShark said:
Jesus, 140 hours on GRID, 18 hours un Burnout, 20 hours on FUEL, 10 on Dirt 2..
Guy has evidently gone totally insane. The racer selection on Steam ain't great but you should never find yourself having to play GRID.

Card Boy

Banned
The Steam community game counter is bullshit anyway. Steam says i have 312 games but when i check the All Games tab on the library i own 210. It counts DLC as 'Games'. I know when i bought the Empire & Napoleon GOTY Bundle my games list when up by 16, instead of 2 games. Worms Mayhem even counted the language packs as DLC and games.

Telltale Games are episodic, so that has inflated my games list hardcore to the max. The 3 Seasons of Sam & Max are counted as 16 games instead of 3, don't even mention Money Island, Strong Bad or Back to the Future.

Some games like Black Ops and MW2 are separated in to MP and SP programs, so again that inflates the game list.

Glass Rebel

I'm on the list :eek:

QU6D7.png

I fully expect to hit 400 by next christmas... oh who am I kidding, I'll clear it before the end of the year ;_;

Salsa

Gez said:
Did i mention dedicated servers and free stuff on Steam is counted as games?

still, what i mean is that when you wanna compare or whatever, it still serves its purpose

JaseC

SmokyDave said:
Is 'would' still bannable?

There's been some misunderstanding about that. Stump clarified the matter in the celeb nude thread:

Stumpokapow said:
Just to clarify;
Derailing a thread that could otherwise be about something interesting with scores of "WOULD" "SHARP KNEES" "SHOW TITZ" posts is sometimes bannable and always shitty posting. It got to the point where some people got banned for it after literally years of threads that otherwise had the potential for discussion going off the rails, and after literally dozens of complaints that it was impossible to have a discussion that involved a woman without drooling caveman stuff.

It was to the point where if there's an article like "Scientist offers new insight on amino acid formation", and the scientist is a woman, more than half the replies in the thread are demanding or finding pictures or reacting to the pictures. Do you understand why that's a problem?

Posting that you're attracted to a woman in a thread whose basic purpose is about how attractive certain women are isn't bannable.

It's really too bad that people are so focused on precisely which words have gotten people banned and which haven't. We don't have a list of bannable words. We're not moderation by robot. We have a set of general principles, boiling down to "try not to shit up threads, prevent discussion, or be a jerk or a bigot". The TOS flows from that. The suggestions in the FAQ forum flow from that.

I won't stand behind every ban and every ban length from every mod ever, but in general, by and large, and talking about today's moderation (because people like to bring up stuff from years ago), I feel like we do a pretty good job at what we're supposed to do. If there's any other moderation questions/comments, please stick to PM or the support email address rather than complaining in thread. Thanks. :)

SmokyDave

Gez said:
Did i mention dedicated servers and free stuff on Steam is counted as games?
Ah, that explains a lot, my library says around 400 games but that's way too high.

Is there an easy way of seeing the actual number of games in my library?

JaseC said:
There's been some misunderstanding about that. Stump clarified the matter in the celeb nude thread:
Ah, thanks for that, I don't really 'would' anyway but I sometimes have nothing more to say than 'she is very attractive'.

It doesn't really matter, I've just remembered that he's played 140 hours of GRID. He'll be a broken husk of a man.

Narag

SmokyDave said:

Pulldown menu in the client with all games/favorites/recently played/etc should have the number of games you can install in parentheses right next to all games. That's the most accurate I've come across so far and even then it double counts games with separate components like including mac versions of civ IV or single/multi components of Dark Messiah.

JaseC

SmokyDave said:
Ah, that explains a lot, my library says around 400 games but that's way too high.

Library -> All Games.

Edit: Beaten, and with instructions no less!

SmokyDave

Narag said:
Pulldown menu in the client with all games/favorites/recently played should have the number of games you can install right next to all games.
That number is wrong though isn't it? Isn't that the number that includes DLC and everything?

It seems I perhaps do have ~400 games after all. My wallet doesn't sound terribly surprised, but I am.

JaseC said:
Library -> All Games.

Edit: Beaten.
Yeah, I've bought too many games. Oh well!

Card Boy

Banned
SmokyDave said:

Click the thing that shows your catagories eg 'All' 'Installed' 'Beaten Games'. The All tab truly shows how many games you have.

Glass Rebel

SmokyDave said:
That number is wrong though isn't it? Isn't that the number that includes DLC and everything?

It seems I perhaps do have ~400 games after all. My wallet doesn't sound terribly surprised, but I am.

No, it only counts the items in your library.

JaseC

SmokyDave said:

Nope, it only includes individual products. Count the list yourself and compare the number. :p

Edit: I'm slow this evening. :(

SmokyDave

Yup, I see it now. 526 games according to my 'Community' tab, but 376 according to the 'All Games' dropdown.

Steam is hazardous to your financial health.

JaseC said:
Impossible, and may I say blasphemous. :p
I shall atone during the Xmas sale.

Is Fable III worth it for 17 bucks? I've heard bad things about it and just want to make sure it's not an utter piece of crap. I'm willing to try it if it has its flaws but is still fun -- like Fable II was.

mxgt

Banned
FleckSplat said:
Is Fable III worth it for 17 bucks? I've heard bad things about it and just want to make sure it's not an utter piece of crap. I'm willing to try it if it has its flaws but is still fun -- like Fable II was.

Not even worth 5. It's the worst in the series and a complete turd.

Narag

FleckSplat said:

Steam thread legend JaseC says:

JaseC said:
Well, Fable III just crashed for the third time in as many hours, so I'm done.

Quite simply, this is one of the worst games I have ever played. Perhaps the worst. I loved Fable: TLC, quite enjoyed Fable II, but this third entry is just beyond horrible. It has no redeeming factors whatsoever.

- The story is terrible. Oh no! My brother is evil and wants to kill people including a girl I just met who loves me! I must avenge her and the kingdom! Granted, I've never cared much for the story in the Fable games, but after the backlash Fable II received it seems Lionhead hired a few manatees to push a bunch of word-balls around, and have their own writers elaborate on them as little as possible. (The VA also sucks, but it's become a staple of the Fable series so it's unfair to berate it. John Cleese is awesome, but he would've been far more awesome if he wasn't simply reading from a page with an uninterested tone.)

- Even maxed out, the graphics look like they tripped and fell out of 2006. Hell, if you put Fable: TLC and Fable III side-by-side, the only difference would be the lighting.

- I'm certain there are a TON of audio assets re-used from the previous games, to the point where it felt like I was playing a mod more than an actual sequel.

- The idea that gameplay mechanics and even basic options should be "drip-fed" to the player as you progress is profoundly stupid; for example, I accepted about half a dozen side-quests and the game tells me that I can switch to the one I desire by using the map. Not only is that pathetic game design (no dedicated quest menu in an Action-"RPG"?), but I don't have the option yet as I haven't progressed far enough through the game. Why allow players to accept side-quests at all at this point if they're unable to switch between them?

- Side-quest design itself is equally lazy; literally every side-quest I did was in the same spot relative to the task. For example, every "hidden object" quest was in the same small area about 20 seconds into Brightwall, and when I went to deliver an object to another person, when I reached the area the handful of other such quests I had accepted were still active so there were 5 or 6 people there waiting for me to give them their gift. I had to lead each and every person away from the immediate area before I could move on to the next one thanks to the utterly stupid way the game handles NPC interaction.

- The concept of limiting how powerful a player can become in each section of the story is ridiculous. I actually don't mind the "Road to Rule" as a method of improving your character, but closing off each section until you've reached a certain point of the story is piss-poor game design. Forget linear, this game is on bloody rails.

- Regenerative health! I've yet to encounter the need to use a potion. What's the point? If you're overwhelmed, simply back off for a few seconds and then get back to it. To be fair, the game does mention that you can enable Challenge mode or some such to disable it, thereby necessitating the use of potions, but the fact it's enabled by default is pathetic.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I have off the top of my head. The stark contrast between this product and Molyneux's vision for the series is astounding. It's done nothing but take backward steps with each entry, presumably in an attempt to make a better product for the so-called "casual" crowd, but all this has culminated in is an all-around terrible experience for everybody concerned.

Back when Fable III was announced, I was cautiously optimistic. I didn't think Molyneux would actually spearhead a game that is exponentially worse than its predecessor in every possible respect, but that is exactly what happened. Needless to say, when Fable IV is announced I won't even blink an eye. Unless the series actually improves - something I can't see happening as long as Molyneux is behind it - I refuse to care.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27925546&postcount=183

Sarcasm

FleckSplat said:

No

FleckSplat said:
People hated it a lot more than I did but I got it for about €8 on GFWL and consider it to be worth that. If you're not sure then wait for it to go on sale further.

JaseC

Glass Rebel said:
Anything interesting or surprising in the Steam registry? I'd check myself but...

As far as I'm aware, nothing since Costume Quest and... whatever the other game/s was/were.

Corto

In celebration of the third iteration of the Steam thread I have a steam code of Frozen Synapse to gift to the first that quotes me. No need to post funny pics, no elaborate chore or other strange demands... Feel free though to use your imagination and amuse me. Or not. hehehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom