• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deques

ibhhE0TVsz84FW.PNG

finally
What's special with this group?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Blandest city and worst encounter design. Infamous 1 is only slightly better in those departments though.
I'm in no position to prove you wrong. That said, I don't mind the design of the city and fights, I only care about feeling like an overpowered motherfucker who kicks a lot of ass and flies across the city sucking people.

Yeah, the last part made it sound like Prostitute Simulator 2013.

Salsa

I actually quite liked Death Note, but gotta love this facebook-sorta thing of people wanting to be in "official" groups of things they like.. on Steam

it's weird

zkylon

zkylewd
hmm, to buy starseed pilgrim now or to wait until I sell all my items. that'll leave me at exactly $14.99, enough for la mulana, monaco or papo & yo...

hmmm

Where's Argentina in that chart?

Guess it was just Zkylon and me buying games here, and so Valve didn't care about adding us two to the chart.
well there's also dizzy

Glass Rebel

Guess it was just Zkylon and me buying games here, and so Valve didn't care about adding us two to the chart.

No data. And that's all video game software. Has nothing to do with Valve. They're data probably didn't even make this.

I think Smoker mentioned that it's just retail stuff and yes, it's obviously not complete. That's why SwitzerlandI'm on that list.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
hmm, to buy starseed pilgrim now or to wait until I sell all my items. that'll leave me at exactly $14.99, enough for la mulana, monaco or papo & yo...

hmmm

well there's also dizzy
Isn't Dizzy from Brasil?

Everyone else is a filthy pirate. With the eye patch and all. Though I managed to convince a couple of friends to buy Portal 2 and L4D2 when they were 3 bucks each, but they still laughed at me when they saw that I had paid for many other games too, instead of pirating them :(

I think Smoker mentioned that it's just retail stuff and yes, it's obviously not complete. That's why SwitzerlandI'm on that list.
I'm curious about the impact of Xelios and Jase on those numbers. My theory is that the games industry would have collapsed again if it wasn't for those guys.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
wut? Ehhhh, recatate loco!!

I haven't bought anything recently because my credit card expired. I got the new one yesterday so I'm back in the game.
Haha, I got the names Dizzy and Drizzle mixed up somehow, my fault!

Parate de manos si sos guapo! xD

maty

Hey, add another argentinian who buys games right here :)

Everyone else is a filthy pirate. With the eye patch and all. Though I managed to convince a couple of friends to buy Portal 2 and L4D2 when they were 3 bucks each, but they still laughed at me when they saw that I had paid for many other games too, instead of pirating them :(

I'm on the same page, I have a few friends with steam accounts but most of their games were gifts from me :(
I also introduced them to indie bundles so at least they don't pirate those games.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm new to GTA, which games should I get? I'm looking at 4 and San Andreas.

Summaries are in order of release:

GTA 1 and 2, are from a completely different developer than Rockstar. Rockstar chose to only use the naming rights when making the game, but the originals are fun in their own right. They're top down, sprite based games instead of 3D titles. The indie game Retro City Rampage, is a good approximation to the type of gameplay you'll encounter.

GTA3, is the nexus for all the controversy over video game violence a few years ago. But the game hasn't aged well, and they really don't reference the game outside a bonus outfit in GTAIV, so you're free to skip it if you desire.

GTA: Vice City. Aesthetically, its a rip on 1980s Miami, and the movies/tv shows centering on that era. The story is one of the better ones, and the characters are generally hilarious, with some nods to famous movie and tv characters of the era.

The music collection is the best selection of all the titles before and since. Though you have to realize, it's chronologically locked into the 70s and 80s, so there isn't any recent music genres like Rap.

GTA: San Andreas, is a sequel to Vice City, but they didn't really improve the graphic quality of the game. It's the 'kitchen sink' of the series as they instead spent the time adding random events and items to the game. They added a rpg mechanic to the main protagonist, but it's badly implemented and really doesn't impact the game as much as it should. Combined, this attitude of over-saturation really distracts from the flow of the game, as you spent way too much needless time grinding. Though some people think this is a boon, I can't figure out how the bloat could be considered enjoyable.

Aesthetically and narratively, it's based around 1990s L.A gang history and culture. So if your familiar with that period, you'll probably get additional enjoyment out of the major/minor events in the story. It has one secondary character from Vice City that has a small role, but is otherwise not related.

The soundtrack is pretty good, but Rockstar was cheap with the licensing for period music. So overall, the track list is a lesson in missed opportunity, as a lot of fitting songs are not present.

GTAIV. This is the first 'next-gen' iteration of the game, but it's reception is divisive. A fair way to describe it is good but deeply flawed. Mechanically, its the most progressive, with the driving and shooting mechanics greatly perfected. The depth of the driving mechanics is some of the best in any open world game. The only issue is that after the bloat of content that was SA, Rockstar severely limited the weapon list and optional content; eliminating all of the ridiculousness vehicles, including the tank, from the game.

Narrative wise, I enjoyed the characterization of the protagonist and other main characters, and the over all story line. But the implementation was a bit wonky and how they tried to introduce the sub stories of secondary characters was mishandled with the 'forced activities'. The base mission structure and variation also add to the aforementioned flaws of the title.

The track list is really well done, especially after the disappointment with the San Andrea's effort. It's a good eclectic mix, with a emphasis on eastern European rock, rap, and electronic music (due to the main protagonist). Overall, its slightly behind the track list of Vice City.

There is a huge mod community behind this game that you might be interested in looking into. They revamped the visuals of the game and added quality models of real life cars to replace the generic ones used by Rockstar.

WARNING: This game is badly ported so seemingly at random, some people report terrible performance while others report decent performance, while having similar PC specifications.

Because I would be remiss if I didn't include it:

Niko, WANT TO GO SEE BEEEG AMERICAN TEEETEEES?

GTAIV: The Ballad of Gay Tony. One of the two independent side stories. There are some instances where the characters of TBoGT will cross paths with the characters of GTAIV and GTAIV: TLaD or get mentions, but other than the nods the stories are independent. The characters in TBoGT are all annoying except for the side character Yusuf Amir; though only if you're entertained by childish men. Mission wise, it finally adds some of the more 'outrageous' mission events back into the GTA franchise, and they are quite enjoyable to play. But the exclusive shotgun it adds is overpowered and gamebreaking, so you may want to avoid using that weapon.

The additional soundtrack is horrendous outside of a few tracks, really the opposite of the vanilla GTAIV soundtrack. If you play this game, load your own track list.

GTAIV: The Lost and the Damned, is the final side story. Everything about this episode is a disappointing mess. The unique shotgun is the opposite of the one introduced in TBoGT in that it is so weak that it is moot to pick it over a vanilla shotgun. Aesthetically the game is about biker gangs, but other than the veneer it is really not all that different. The inherent qualities of using cars still outweigh the games' preference for bikes, so you'll just end up using cars for the majority of the game; only switching when a mission forces you to show up on a bike. The game introduces a backup mechanic wherein you can call on your fellow members to back you up in a fight, but because they are so frail and the AI is quite bad, it never benefits you to do so. There's a permanent death mechanic so that really just adds more reasons to not use the backup mechanic. There's an addition of a RPG leveling system with your bike mates, but as mentioned, its useless as you never want to call them into battle regardless.

The story in TLaD is the most stereotypical mess ever put to paper. Within the first half hour, due to the generic storyline and archetypes, you will already know the major plot points and 'betrayals'. I hoped the game would have been better, but your best bet is to avoid playing it and invest your time in GTAIV vanilla or TBoGT instead.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, add another argentinian who buys games right here :)

I'm on the same page, I have a few friends with steam accounts but most of their games were gifts from me :(
I also introduced them to indie bundles so at least they don't pirate those games.
Nice! And yes, I too have a friend who is really into bundles, and is always asking me to buy them for him (he doesn't own a credit card). Lately I haven't bothered to ask him for the $1 each one costs, so I'm paying them from my own pocket.

I wish games were cheaper here, that way more people would be inclined to go the legal route. At least we have Steam. The console guys have to pay $70 or more for new (and not so new) releases, which is bullshit. Never mind that the dollar gets more expensive (or actually, our currency loses its value) each passing day. Bullshit.

EDIT: Casimir's analysis of the GTA games is spot on. San Andreas has a lot of useless padding junk, such as forcing you to grind your character's lunge capacity before being able to start a particular mission, or adding a Tamagotchi-like system where you have to eat (but not too much, or you'll get fat), train your muscles and sprinting resistance, increase your driving and shooting experience, and also a stupid dating sim.

It's still a good game, but Rockstar tried to make it way bigger than it should have been, and it shows. Vice City is king. I fell in love with it as soon as it started loading from the tape*. 80's Miami goodness.

*GTA VC intro reference, in case you didn't get it

Dizzy-4U

In my case, it was pretty easy to convince my friends when I showed them Goldeneye:Source. We've been playing together since the Snes so I hit them right in the nostalgia with our most played game ever.

Besides, I don't have facebook nor cellphone, so they are forced to log in to Steam if they want to contact me. They don't buy that many games, but at least they don't pirate anymore.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Anybody have trouble actually purchasing any games right now ? I can't add games to my shopping cart right now even with a restart of Steam client.

Add me to the honorary Argentine Steam list. I lived there from 1986 through 1999, and have been back to visit a few times. My wife is from there, too.

maty

I wish games were cheaper here, that way more people would be inclined to go the legal route. At least we have Steam. The console guys have to pay $70 or more for new (and not so new) releases, which is bullshit. Never mind that the dollar gets more expensive (or actually, our currency loses its value) each passing day. Bullshit.

Yeah, I know, have a ps3 as well with only 15 games, all of them bought in the States mostly during black friday, thanks to some cousins that live there ;)

And even though Sony just opened their digital store, games are still more expansive than retail in Argentina and charged in dollars, so you have to add the 20% tax.

On the other hand, I have 200+ on steam and a few from gog.

So <3 Steam sales, GMG, Amazon and bundles

zkylon

zkylewd
eh, I don't really care. not everyone has an international-purchase able credit card, or money to pay for overpriced console games.

if big publishers don't feel the need to import games at reasonable prices then I give two shits about them, we owe them nothing.

wut? Ehhhh, recatate loco!!

I haven't bought anything recently because my credit card expired. I got the new one yesterday so I'm back in the game.
you fucked it up by taking off the araceli avatar

you have no one but yourself to blame

MNC

Concerning monaco: how replayable is it? Are there difficulties? How long is the main game? Mainly because some friends already played a good amount and i have yet to buy it

GAMERG0D

If you redeem a foreign key, what happens? I've won games from Steamgifts and I'm kind of worried if my game will be in a different language or something.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Even if you did activate a key/gift and it turned out to be an Eastern European version that only runs in certain countries/has limited language support/formats your HDD when run, you could e-mail Support and have somebody remove the game from your account; you're not stuck with it.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Even if you did activate a key/gift and it turned out to be an Eastern European version that only runs in certain countries/has limited language support/formats your HDD when run, you could e-mail Support and have somebody remove the game from your account; you're not stuck with it.

Steam support? Good luck with that.

Blizzard

Banned
Steam support? Good luck with that.
I think multiple people in this thread alone have had success with asking Steam support to do that. It may take them 3 days, and they may use the phrase "this is a one time favor from Papa Gabe; next time we break your fingers", but they remove it. I think it's even in the account agreement so they may be required.

I think multiple people in this thread alone have had success with asking Steam support to do that. It may take them 3 days, and they may use the phrase "this is a one time favor from Papa Gabe; next time we break your fingers", but they remove it. I think it's even in the account agreement so they may be required.

Yeah steam support have always been pretty good to me. Very slow sure, but they get the job done.

JaseC

Yeah, it is:

B. Termination by You.

You may cancel your Account at any time. You may cease use of a Subscription at any time or, if you choose, you may request that we terminate your access to a Subscription. However, Subscriptions are not transferable, and even if your access to a Subscription for a particular game or application is terminated, the original activation key will not be able to be registered to any other account, even if the game or application was purchased in a retail store. Access to Subscriptions purchased as a part of a pack or bundle cannot be terminated individually, termination of access to one game within the bundle will result in termination of access to all games purchased in the pack will be removed from the account. Your cancellation of an Account, or your cessation of use of any Subscription or request that access to a Subscription be terminated, will not entitle you to any refund, including of any Subscription fees. Valve reserves the right to collect fees, surcharges or costs incurred prior to the cancellation of your Account or termination of your access to a particular Subscription. In addition, you are responsible for any charges incurred to third-party vendors or content providers before your cancellation.

Acorn

Ot but gotta love that subscription Bullshit to sidestep consumer legislation. They should get called out about that.

JaseC

Ot but gotta love that subscription Bullshit to sidestep consumer legislation. They should get called out about that.

A toothless German consumer protection group threatened to take Valve to court over the fact that declining the SSA deprives users of access to their existing Steam library (something Valve could fix using the account restriction system). When Valve failed to respond before the original deadline, it was extended, and this new date went by without even so much as a whisper from either party.

Audiosurf is messed up for me, the last couple of days I've tried to go play it, it'll start up, but when I pass the title screen, it turns into a blank white screen with the login option at the top

That used to happen to me all the time.

So I uninstalled the game.

Now I don't have any more problems with it.

I have too many Steam games to fuck around with shit that doesn't work.

xJavonta

Banned
Couldn't transfer the steam files via windows easy transfer, so I'm just going to purchase an external hard drive tomorrow.
I used to just use an Ethernet cable to transfer the files between computers. Simple and really fucking fast.

Make sure Steam isn't running too

Acorn

A toothless German consumer protection group threatened to take Valve to court over the fact that declining the SSA deprives users of access to their existing Steam library (something Valve could fix using the account restriction system). When Valve failed to respond before the original deadline, it was extended, and this new date went by without even so much as a whisper from either party.
Lol. Digital is the wild west right now when it comes to consumer rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom