• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have probably missed this but has Hitman: Contracts shown up in the registry? I thought it'd finally see a Steam release alongside the HD Collection on consoles.

cicero

Wow. Amazon ran out of keys already for the Paradox 2012 Ultimate Pack. This is exactly why I always try to buy things on Amazon right when the deals activate.

wilflare

anyone using the Big Picture Mode?
every time I quit a game, I can't seem to click anything on the menu unless I do shift-tab or something...

and do DX10 games like DMC4 not allow the Steam Overlay?

Deques

Wow. Amazon ran out of keys already for the Paradox 2012 Ultimate Pack. This is exactly why I always try to buy things on Amazon right when the deals activate.

At least they sell what they have, unlike Gamersgate

anyone using the Big Picture Mode?
every time I quit a game, I can't seem to click anything on the menu unless I do shift-tab or something...

and do DX10 games like DMC4 not allow the Steam Overlay?

Overlay works for me in DMC4

1-D_FTW

You can't actually add keys to your inventory through Steam, so at the very least he's obtaining them through Steam trading and not a reselling site. That should be perfectly legitimate and not considered grey market as Valve allows it.

Buying cheap keys from eastern Europe and reselling them for a profit is definitely the definition of gray market. Not only is it exploiting the system and putting that system in jeopardy (that's meant to discourage piracy in poorer markets), but who knows what happens if publishers get PO'd are force Valve to take action. Do you want your account littered with these titles when it does?

And as someone else mentioned, if it's being done through VPN, it's most certainly against the ToS and gray market material.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Buying cheap keys from eastern Europe and reselling them for a profit is definitely the definition of gray market. Not only is it exploiting the system and putting that system in jeopardy (that's meant to discourage piracy in poorer markets), but who knows what happens if publishers get PO'd are force Valve to take action. Do you want your account littered with these titles when it does?

And as someone else mentioned, if it's being done through VPN, it's most certainly against the ToS and gray market material.

Re-read the post. He's not buying keys; you cannot redeem keys as inventory items. (And I really wish EviLore would remove the note of Valve randomly requesting proof-of-purchase from the "CD key resellers are banned" thread, because that's completely and utterly false.)

What's actually occuring is one of two things. He is either:

- As TheExodu5 mentioned, reselling Steam gifts obtained through Eastern European friends, or
- Reselling games obtained wholesale through other legit DD services, such as GamersGate (yes, this is possible)

Whether or not these nuances should be included under the current umbrella is something for EviLore to decide.

ngt

I agree Russians selling gifts abroad is a gray market, but using VPN is a black market IMHO. Not even sure if it's legal (providing false data to acquire a game), but I don't know much about the law either.

OK so this on reddit lol

zeju0kg.png

Pic is a bit shopped but still funny. Here is original

JustinBB7

Might be a long shot but hey:

I'm playing Fallout 3 right now, and wanna do the slaver missions at Paradise falls, guy at the gate gave me the mission and said I couldn't go in until I gave him slaves. I walked in anyway thinking he would just stop me or there would be a wall or something. There wasn't and he started shooting me so I just ran away. Now every time I go back there he shoots me and I can't continue the mission. I already made 1 slave but to make more I need more slave collars from that guy. Even adding the collars in by the console doesn't work. I have no earlier save so I can't go back. Is there a known fix for this anybody might have figured out?

I tried waiting 3 days and giving them a slave but they still shoot me.

masterkajo

I'm playing Fallout 3 right now, and wanna do the slaver missions at Paradise falls, guy at the gate gave me the mission and said I couldn't go in until I gave him slaves. I walked in anyway thinking he would just stop me or there would be a wall or something. There wasn't and he started shooting me so I just ran away. Now every time I go back there he shoots me and I can't continue the mission. I already made 1 slave but to make more I need more slave collars from that guy. Even adding the collars in by the console doesn't work. I have no earlier save so I can't go back. Is there a known fix for this anybody might have figured out?

He just doesn't like you and has trust issues since you betrayed him the first time.

But seriously, I think you are screwed out of this quest. It has been a long time since I played it but same thing happend to me and I just kept playing without every finishing the quest. You probably can reload if you have a save prior to going it (maybe from internet but than it wouldn't be your save) or you can man up and face the consequences of your decisions :p

I think they're permanently hostile for the rest of the game. It's been years since I played FO3. Get your itchy trigger finger ready and blow all of them away. :) You'll feel better. I know I did.

1-D_FTW

Re-read the post. He's not buying keys; you cannot redeem keys as inventory items. (And I really wish EviLore would remove the note of Valve randomly requesting proof-of-purchase from the "CD key resellers are banned" thread, because that's completely and utterly false.)

What's actually occuring is one of two things. He is either:

- As TheExodu5 mentioned, reselling Steam gifts obtained through Eastern European friends, or
- Reselling games obtained wholesale through other legit DD services, such as GamersGate (yes, this is possible)

Whether or not these nuances should be included under the current umbrella is something for EviLore to decide.

How is serving as a middle man not "gray market" material? It's kind of like money laundering in a game economy sense. Somebody buys games cheap in an eastern market Steam store, gifts them to legit customers in the west to clean them up, and then has that person do the selling of the gifts.

I'm skeptical of the second part. Unless we're talking wholesalers from eastern Europe (which goes back to the first point of using a westerner to clean them up).

We already know what DD take. They take a 30 percent cut. 70 percent is the wholesale number. So it seems impossible to think GG is selling them at a loss (or getting some bulk discount that not even Valve gets).

Plus how would the second part even be possible? You can't redeem codes into gifts. These have to be purchased directly unless I'm missing something.

Anyways, sorry for taking it off-topic. Stump seemed to be pretty emphatic about the situation and I should have just stayed out of it.

JaseC

How is serving as a middle man not "gray market" material? It's kind of like money laundering in a game economy sense. Somebody buys games cheap in an eastern market Steam store, gifts them to legit customers in the west to clean them up, and then has that person do the selling of the gifts.

I was simply correcting your assertion that he's selling keys, nothing more. I realise even in the case I specified it's something of a grey area, depending on perspective.

I'm skeptical of the second part. Unless we're talking wholesalers from eastern Europe (which goes back to the first point of using a westerner to clean them up).

We already know what DD take. They take a 30 percent cut. 70 percent is the wholesale number. So it seems impossible to think GG is selling them at a loss (or getting some bulk discount that not even Valve gets).

Plus how would the second part even be possible? You can't redeem codes into gifts. These have to be purchased directly unless I'm missing something.

Let's just say I'm aware of this avenue through a friend of a friend.

1-D_FTW

Let's just say I'm aware of this avenue through a friend of a friend.

Huh. Learn something new every day. I guess publishers really do prefer to give excellent deals to anyone who's not Valve. Probably a good thing for us consumers though.

wilflare

Dammit, I was just 1 achievement away form 100%.

I think DX10 worked fine with the overlay for me, but broke Fraps and then DX9 was the opposite (Fraps worked, overlay didn't). It seems to be an issue unique to DMC4.

thanks man! i'm having weird issues with it. and Big Picture Mode too
for example, when quitting Lara Craft.. Big Picture Mode loses the Web/Steam/Community tabs.. unless I do a alt-tab or something

NerTo

Neo Member

You might be able to spawn him in. I think they're neutral that way.

JaseC

Huh. Learn something new every day. I guess publishers really do prefer to give excellent deals to anyone who's not Valve. Probably a good thing for us consumers though.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not entirely sure how the affiliation operates as I'd rather not look a gift horse in the mouth. It wouldn't at all surprise me if publishers are more fiscally lenient to those who take lesser cuts, though. I mean, one of the bigger rumours surrounding EA's departure from Steam is that it demanded a bigger cut, something that seems believable when you consider the company pulled games that were both EA-developed and EA-published from the store even though Valve's DLC policy wasn't retroactive, and the only EA-related games to appear/reappear on the service are those published via EA Partners (Edit: i.e. those it doesn't have absolute control over).

Blizzard

Banned
Was all set to buy Omerta but RPS's demo thoughts don't read too well.

I have no idea what else people were really expecting from Omerta. Everything I have seen seems like exactly what I had in mind.

I forgot it was releasing today and didn't even realize there was a demo (http://www.cityofgangsters.com/us/demo-available-for-omerta-city-of-gangsters/). I should probably try the demo, since I like co-op games for playing with friends, but the initial price is a bit over the impulse purchase level for some people.

ngt

IndieRoyale Evolved Bundle:
http://www.indieroyale.com/
- Unmechanical for: steam (pc), windows, desura
- The Path for: steam (pc), windows, mac, desura
- Krater for: steam (pc)
- Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory for: steam (pc), windows, desura
- OIO for: windows, mac, desura

HoosTrax

Yeah, Indie Royale has been doing pretty well lately, in terms of not being entirely filled with fluff games. My second favorite indie bundle behind HIB. Think I'll bite on this one. I heard Krater was somewhat meh, but at that price, I can't complain.

Zeth

I hear Frozen Synapse is well-regarded around here. My only squad-turn-based game experience is XCOM, which I really enjoyed. Should I give it a try?

I hear Frozen Synapse is well-regarded around here. My only squad-turn-based game experience is XCOM, which I really enjoyed. Should I give it a try?

Sure, it's a very multiplayer focused game though and I'm not sure if there's much of a community there anymore. There is a [reasonably extensive with the Red DLC] single player campaign but don't expect anything with as much depth as XCOM.

Zeth

I know it's not much like XCOM, and I'm interested in the single-player element mostly. I'll check out the demo, thanks!

Blizzard

Banned
I know it's not much like XCOM, and I'm interested in the single-player element mostly. I'll check out the demo, thanks!
Checking out a demo is a good idea. I feel like it's some sort of weird strategy/puzzle game more than turn-based strategy, but I was really bad at it. You put soldiers in spots, or tell them to move or shoot or guard, then everyone runs to the next spot and possibly dies. Then you keep doing that, or repeat the whole thing but start using different routes to avoid dying as much.

I think it's a neat game and I'm glad it exists, but I'm not sure it's "for" me, as Penny Arcade might say.

nexen

I couldn't get into Frozen Synapse. I like where they were going with it, but I think XCom/Jagged Alliance are much better games.

Nillansan

Would anyone be interested in buying a Omerta: City of Gangsters key from me?

I am willing to part with it for £15/$24.00.

PM me if you are interested.

EDIT: The key is from GreenManGaming by the way.

zychi

Banned
is there a way to make steam download a game for me while i'm not at my computer? can the ios app or steampowered.com do it?

i want sonic transformed to be downloaded before i get home tonight, and i feel like i'm over looking an option

Not many people playing The Showdown Effect beta, it seems. I have like 2 keys to giveaway (unlocks on Steam), so if anyone wants one please PM me. I would prefer it if you actually had a genuine interest of trying it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom