• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Based solely on the title it's a 8.5/10. I'm not too sure on the gameplay aspect though.

I have not played it, but a friend has. Do you like visual novels? Do you like visual novels that are ridiculous but also partially hilarious? Do you like visual novels that are ridiculous but also partially hilarious and are also extremely perverted? Do you like visual novels that are ridiculous but also partially hilarious and are also extremely perverted and have pseudo-American culture mixed with Japanese culture and a lot of ridiculous jabs at social politics? Then you may like My Girlfriend is the President.

Sounds good to me and worth the price then.

Anustart

Way late to do this, but I want to thank _hekk05 for Guacamelee! Thanks dude, I've been eyeing this thing forever!

Question about it though, how's the playability on keyboard? Wondering if I should splurge on a controller or if my kb is going to suffice.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any guess on when it's going up? Not really familiar with GI, but I assume they wait a bit till the magazine is properly out so their subscribers read it first. Isn't that issue already out?

To be honest I had no idea GI was even publishing an article on Black Mesa. ;)

To be honest I had no idea GI was even publishing an article on Black Mesa. ;)

yeah :p Just checked, it's the March issue

On top of our exclusive Metal Gear Solid V content, the March issue is packed with a host of new features and hands-on previews. An in-depth article explores the history of YouTube’s popular “Let’s Play” shows. The Black Mesa Modification Team shares the challenging development history of its Half-Life remake. Following up on last month’s Top 50 Games of 2013, we reflect on the greatest mobile games from the second half of last year. We also have new previews of Dark Souls II, Dying Light, Elder Scrolls Online, and more.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
So I saw that Go Go Nippon had the Kawaii (cute) tag and clicked to see what else was considered kawaii.

Didn't expect Rambo in that list :)

JaseC

GamersGate really needs to make more of an effort to secure Steam keys. It's currently running a R* bundle promotion but every title is just a SecuROM, Gameshield or GFWL key. Gross.

JaseC

yeah :p Just checked, it's the March issue

Interesting. I suppose the feature will be the closest thing we'll get to The Final Hours of Half-Life 3 for a while. ;)

Edit: I'm dumb.

Edit edit: On the subject of Black Mesa, I still believe that, at some level, the mod was conceived as a way for its members to secure jobs at Valve, but when it became clear this wouldn't happen, it entered development hell as people pursued greener pastures.

_hekk05

Banned
Way late to do this, but I want to thank _hekk05 for Guacamelee! Thanks dude, I've been eyeing this thing forever!

Question about it though, how's the playability on keyboard? Wondering if I should splurge on a controller or if my kb is going to suffice.

That's ok. I'm always watching .... ಠ_ಠ

Anteater

man the combo system is kind of bizarre in Dust, it's like the entire screen is just one giant explosion.

Sometimes I get hit because I can't find my character on screen.

JaseC

I have SC: Blacklist deluxe edition on Uplay, if I buy the standard edition on steam, can I still use the bonus stuff?

The Steam versions of Uplay titles are considered separate games and use individualised instances of the Uplay launcher.

Jawmuncher

Whoa HOLD UP Ghost Recon 2 isn't on PC?
What kind of bullshit is this? That was probably the best one back when I played it on Xbox.

SparkTR

Whoa HOLD UP Ghost Recon 2 isn't on PC?
What kind of bullshit is this? That was probably the best one back when I played it on Xbox.

They cancelled it a few months before release to focus on 'Ghost Recon 3' (which I assume turned into the PC version of Advanced Warfighter).

Likely they didn't think a third person, more action focused Ghost Recon game would fit well with the PC crowd, so they ditched an attempt to refit it for PC (turn it first person) and went forward with the next game.

The survival horror games, ObsCure and Obscure 2: The Aftermath have been announced to be coming to Steam on March 7th with updated version (which include performance fixes, and finally things like 16:9 mode and controller support):

Trailer here.

Obscure_cover.jpg
Obscure-II--1.jpg

I been needing to play these games, so I don't have an opinion. I hoped this would happen though after Final Exam (a spin-off of ObsCure) got on Steam, and ObsCure being pulled off of digital marketplaces late last year. To explain the games in basic, imagine Resident Evil (the older ones) with a school setting and multiple, super stereotypical teenagers, and situations that come with that (super nerd, exploitation slut who gets murdered, crazed murderer killing kids one by one, etc).

Also notable the game's have pretty good soundtracks, provided by that one guy who did the music also for Alone in the Dark 5 and Remember Me.
If memory serves me right Obscure was pretty good. Never played the second so.. guess I'll buy them.. /sigh :(

Jawmuncher

They cancelled it a few months before release to focus on 'Ghost Recon 3' (which I assume turned into the PC version of Advanced Warfighter).

Likely they didn't think a third person, more action focused Ghost Recon game would fit well with the PC crowd, so they ditched an attempt to refit it for PC (turn it first person) and went forward with the next game.

Tsk Tsk, Ghost Recon I thought was a great blend of original and new action oriented gameplay. Was never a fan of the Advanced Warfighter games or the newest one as well.
Still I wonder how the Advanced Warfighter version on Xbox was since that was the only one that was FPS. I think it was another case where they had another team basically make a whole new game just like when Double Agent came out.

Parsnip

The survival horror games, ObsCure and Obscure 2: The Aftermath have been announced to be coming to Steam on March 7th with updated version (which include performance fixes, and finally things like 16:9 mode and controller support):

Trailer here.

Obscure_cover.jpg
Obscure-II--1.jpg

I been needing to play these games, so I don't have an opinion. I hoped this would happen though after Final Exam (a spin-off of ObsCure) got on Steam, and ObsCure being pulled off of digital marketplaces late last year. To explain the games in basic, imagine Resident Evil (the older ones) with a school setting and multiple, super stereotypical teenagers, and situations that come with that (super nerd, exploitation slut who gets murdered, crazed murderer killing kids one by one, etc).

Also notable the game's have pretty good soundtracks, provided by that one guy who did the music also for Alone in the Dark 5 and Remember Me.

I like this news. I recently dug out my physical PC copies of both, but I'm more than happy to double dip if they price them accordingly and make them more compatible with modern Windows. Though they both do kind of seem to work, but xinput controller support would be nice. Obscure 2 holds up visually surprisingly well too. And yeah, great soundtracks.

Obscure did the Alan Wake flashlight gimmick before flashlights were cool.

SparkTR

Tsk Tsk, Ghost Recon I thought was a great blend of original and new action oriented gameplay. Was never a fan of the Advanced Warfighter games or the newest one as well.
Still I wonder how the Advanced Warfighter version on Xbox was since that was the only one that was FPS. I think it was another case where they had another team basically make a whole new game just like when Double Agent came out.

The PC version was also an FPS (both Advanced Warfighter games), I'm not sure if it's different from the Xbox version though.

I'm glad Ubisoft left that phase at least, it's like they were afraid of contaminating their PC audience with their console audience, and eventually their last gen and next gen audiences (Rainbow Six 3 Xbox 'series', GR2 PC cancellation, Warfighter version differences, Splinter Cell two versions).

Now they just make one game and slap it on everything, for better or for worse.

Jawmuncher

Bought basically what I wanted from the Ubi Sales (Was only interested in TC games). But man if Ubi can manage to lower Cold Fear to 75% off i'm in. For some reason it has never been lower than 50% from recollection.

Jawmuncher

The PC version was also an FPS (both Advanced Warfighter games), I'm not sure if it's different from the Xbox version though.

I'm glad Ubisoft left that phase at least, it's like they were afraid of contaminating their PC audience with their console audience, and eventually their last gen and next gen audiences (Rainbow Six 3 Xbox 'series', GR2 PC cancellation, Warfighter version differences, Splinter Cell two versions).

Now they just make one game and slap it on everything, for better or for worse.

Just looked at the steam page for GRAW. That's the same game as the Xbox title I was talking about. So that means the 360 version was the one by a different dev team...I'm quite curious to play that one since I never have. Also it was interesting of ubi to handle the platforms differently like that back in the day for the most part. Would be interesting if a company took that line of thinking again.

Jawmuncher

Now I checked the Double Agent page since I was curious and yep that is the Xbox version as well. Interesting so GRAW and SC:DA are the Xbox versions which from my recollection aside from graphics were better than the 360 versions.

You know I really like how Valve have been handling the streaming beta. Slouken is very communicative, they're posting announcements almost every week and roll out beta updates frequently. Contrats that to say the Universe or Music groups and their radio silence for a longer period of time, it feels refreshing.

SparkTR

Now I checked the Double Agent page since I was curious and yep that is the Xbox version as well. Interesting so GRAW and SC:DA are the Xbox versions which from my recollection aside from graphics were better than the 360 versions.

Actually it's the awful 360 version, they use Xbox 1 screenshots on the store page for some reason.

I just finished playing Alpha Protocol. I highly recommend the game, especially at the current sale price.

It has some great twists and the amount of choices and consequences are impressive, so much so that the final mission can have 3 different bosses.

Jawmuncher

What's the difference between 360 and the Xbox version of Double Agent?

The Xbox version was developed by the Chaos Theory team and plays very differently from the 360 version. From impressions the Xbox version is a better Splinter Cell expierence all around. The 360 version was developed by Ubisoft Shanghai who did Pandorra Tomorrow. Needless to say that game just isn't very fun but was a graphical showcase at the time of release.

The Xbox version was developed by the Chaos Theory team and plays very differently from the 360 version. From impressions the Xbox version is a better Splinter Cell expierence all around. The 360 version was developed by Ubisoft Shanghai who did Pandorra Tomorrow. Needless to say that game just isn't very fun but was a graphical showcase at the time of release.
Shit I blind-bought that, oh well it's only 2.49.

r3n4ud

I really want to play Next Car Game but 30$ for an early access is way too much.
Any idea where can I get steam key for less?
Wait for a sale. I put a few hours into it, and it's pretty bare bones right now. There's only three available tracks for racing and one arena for demolition derby. Also, only three available cars to choose from.

The racing is quite fun, but shit, if you fall behind in the race it's a real bitch to catch up to the leaders. As for the demolition derby, it's all out fun. 24 cars smashing into each other in a large arena makes quite a mess! Overall the game has promise, but is lacking right now.

Nabs

Garry Newman @garrynewman
Garry's Mod has just broke $30,000,000 !

Garry Newman ‏@garrynewman
And if my calculations are correct - we have now officially made more money from Rust than Garry's Mod. 0.34% more!

JaseC

And if my calculations are correct - we have now officially made more money from Rust than Garry's Mod. 0.34% more!

I wish I had a gazillion dollars.

Was there ever a time when having the words "sum" and "41" on your game cover was a good marketing point?

Probably sometime around the early 2000's for a few days. Other than that...nope.

And I still don't get the appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom