• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StAidan

After seeing Sword & Sworcery on the daily, I decided to give it a try (already owned it from a bundle or something). What a strange game. I love the music and the graphical style, but the dialogue and gameplay / puzzles are a little too esoteric for me.

I've gone through the first 2 sessions, so I'll go ahead and finish the game out, but I hope the game's progression won't wholly rely on discovering random sequences of clicking in the environment (as the second Session seemed to).

One of the Gobliiin games caused me to accidentally disable the sound from my first PC, a Packard Bell that came with a weird built-in version of Jurassic Park. Thing could barely play the Doom games and, while it it ran the demo just fine, it couldn't even run Duke 3d : / I had to return duke to best buy and got Killer Instinct instead.

Man, im kinda old.

Relax.MX

Im playing Alan Wake´s American Nightmare...

I'm 80 minutes in and i just want it to end, is go from point A to point B, listen senseless dialogues (there are senseless things that are interesting and immersive but these ... not), it's very easy, I hope that as you go forward improve at least more action.

By the way Tropico 4 is identical to the third. Just take the first mission of the campaign, but I have a sense of Deja Vu, not that I did not like the first will actually invested about 20 hours, but I feel that even reused sounds, textures and everything.

antitrop

Waking up and seeing Spec Ops: The Line as the third best selling game on Steam today, after DayZ and Rust, completely makes my day. Glad more people will get the chance to play that amazing game.

Turfster

go from point A to point B, listen senseless dialogues (there are senseless things that are interesting and immersive but these ... not),

Welcome to Alan Wake.
Nightmare is supposed to be the better of the two with better gameplay too.
(Haven't played it myself yet, got seriously burned out after the snoozefest of shit "combat" that was the original game)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I kinda rage-quit my attempt at doing a no-stealth run in Metro: Last Light due to some mindbogglingly shit checkpointing, but I want to finish the game. I decided to get creative and back up my partial game progress that is 100% stealth/no kill and put that away for a day when I feel like trying to finish that again. And now some dudes about to get killed.

Welcome to Alan Wake.
Nightmare is supposed to be the better of the two with better gameplay too.
(Haven't played it myself yet, got seriously burned out after the snoozefest of shit "combat" that was the original game)

The combat differences are negligible and the level design in AW1 is infinity times better and more interesting to look at. The groundhog day approach in Nightmare is tedious and poorly implemented. I just had my GF skip it despite her loving AW1.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I don't like American Nightmare compared to the original game. It does have improved combat mechanics and a larger variety of enemies, but the combat was never really the thing I liked the most about Alan Wake. The story is kind of silly and there's a few cool moments, but it sort of compares, though I also understand it was developed as a spin-off. And having to repeat each location three times is tedious.

HOWEVER, I will say that I do really enjoy the more hub-like levels in American Nightmare, and the Survival Score-based mode is actually a lot more fun than I was expecting. Helps the locations in the mode aren't in the campaign, its far more tense than the campaign, and utilized the more open levels better.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wish they would just have a cheap upgrade if you have the normal version + season pass. Only a few games have done this in the past but I really like that feature. Didn't some Asscreed game do this?

Revelations has a Gold Edition but existing owners didn't receive a discount. Owners of the Black Flag DDE get 25% off the Season Pass as it's included in the Gold Edition, which is limited to the Americas (the DDE is used elsewhere), but of course this isn't quite the same thing.

Edit: Contracts just got patched.

Edit edit: And as expected, it fixes the missing audio:
Update #1 - Good news! The music and sound have now been fully restored via an update to the game. If you've triggered the update and still have issues, please flag them in this thread. Thanks!

Turfster

The combat differences are negligible and the level design in AW1 is infinity times better and more interesting to look at. The groundhog day approach in Nightmare is tedious and poorly implemented. I just had my GF skip it despite her loving AW1.
Oh, wow.
Guess I'm never playing American Nightmare.

Good luck guys :)

I can't believe I missed a shot at GG! Dammit!
Awesome giveaway.

Speaking of SR4, the Child's Play Pack is still up even though it was supposed to disappear coincident with the end of the Free Weekend (itself a stay of execution from the original end date of January 13th). If you've yet to snap it up I'd do so now as, assuming Volition wasn't telling porkies again, it'll probably disappear today.

Edit: Squeenix just added a QA branch to Contracts so I assume the curious issue of the game completely lacking ambient audio will be patched (none of the other Hitman games of yesteryears have additional branches).

"telling porkies"... huh? must be some sort of Aussie phrase...
Context says it means "telling lies" but can you explain where the phrase comes from by chance?

I was sold when I saw that IREM collection -- the Raiden game(s) are bonus.

I really wish Raiden and IREM were on steam.

Me too... it's what prevented me from buying IREM back on GMG during the holiday sales. However, I won't pass up this bundle on the chance that some magic happens (like the GG Isuka coming to steam and bundle owners getting keys).

So it looks like Alienware doesn't get the point of Steam Machines. I'm sure this will end well.

I thought this was going to be alienware pricing themselves out of the normal range and I was going to make a comment about how "there's probably a niche market for a powerhouse steambox". And then I clicked the link.

That sounds moronic. I'm not sure about the other steamboxes, but one of the biggest draws that pulled me to PC gaming (outside of the gaming deals and huge Steam library I've amassed) was the fact that I should be able to upgrade parts of my PC as needed and not worry about the stuff that comes with new consoles any longer... adding a second graphics card in SLI, more ram, bigger HDD, etc.

So yeah, that won't end well.

Wish they would just have a cheap upgrade if you have the normal version + season pass. Only a few games have done this in the past but I really like that feature. Didn't some Asscreed game do this?

Me too. However, I already copped the season pass cheap on one of the sales, so most of the DLC that's left is things I don't really care much for like outfits that don't appeal to me and "remixes" for the dubstep gun... If it goes dirt cheap somewhere at somepoint, maybe I'll grab the rest, but at this point, I don't really require that sort of thing for this game. I still think the idea is good and it'd be nice of publishers to offer solutions to those who bought the product earlier in the release cycle other than "buy a GOTY copy to get all the DLC cheap once it goes on mega clearance". :lol

Jawmuncher

You basically go to area A, then B, then C. Then you go back to A, then B, then C. Then you go back to A, then B, then C.

Each time you return you do things a little different.

It is lame.

Yeah I was pretty let down by it.
I still say its worth the play it's only like 3 hours, but it sure isn't worth ever going back to.

louiedog

You basically go to area A, then B, then C. Then you go back to A, then B, then C. Then you go back to A, then B, then C.

Each time you return you do things a little different.

It is lame.

Just like an episode from pretty much every scifi show ever aired which is what they were going for. I liked it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
https://twitter.com/Capcom_UK/status/425659387928014849

Resident Evil 4 comes to Steam with visual overhaul, 60fps and more

http://youtu.be/3waXAcZibpI

ibdD3UCVk6nA4I.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
About FF6 and SE, it pains me much
thatssonotcool.jpg

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed in FF6 as well. I've played about 6 hours into the game - it's my all time favorite of the series. The graphics have barely been updated and the music hasn't been upgraded at all. The battle controls are also terrible, and the text lags on my Nexus 7.

Very disappointed in the port.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
"telling porkies"... huh? must be some sort of Aussie phrase...
Context says it means "telling lies" but can you explain where the phrase comes from by chance?

It's an evolution of the British rhyming slang phrase "pork pie", which, as you deduced, means a lie (lie- > pie).

Resident Evil 4 comes to Steam with visual overhaul, 60fps and more

http://youtu.be/3waXAcZibpI

Yet another thing I can cross off my list of Things I Never Thought Would Happen (see also: Saw returning to the store and Anno 1404 being patched).

Acccent

The ultimate HD edition of Resident Evil™ 4 is heading for PC digital download on Steam® globally and available as a retail version for Windows PC in Europe. PC gamers will be able to play the groundbreaking survival horror masterpiece in the highest visual fidelity ever with stunning HD running at a smooth 60 frames per second for the first time. Resident Evil 4 will be available from February 28, 2014 for €19.99/$19.99.

Alongside the announcement, the Steam pre-order campaign has also gone live today which includes a digital soundtrack with more than 60 tracks and a digital artbook for those that purchase early.

Details can be found at http://store.steampowered.com/app/254700. Resident Evil 4 will include Steam platform support with Steam Achievements, Steam Cloud, Steam Trading Cards, global leaderboards, and full game controller support. The new PC version will include everything from the prior iterations including subtitle support in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese and Polish as well as previously released bonus content such as the Separate Ways epilogue.

Resident Evil 4 received numerous "Game of the Year" awards when it debuted and currently stands as one of the best-reviewed games of all time with an incredible 96 ranking on MetaCritic. A complete visual overhaul has been performed to bring this revered title to the highest graphical quality ever. Fully optimized for the wide screen, texts have been sharpened and textures have been upgraded on characters, backgrounds and in-game objects.

In Resident Evil 4, special agent Leon S. Kennedy is sent on a mission to rescue the U.S. President's daughter who has been kidnapped. Finding his way to a rural village in Europe, he faces new threats that are a departure from the traditional lumbering zombie enemies of the earlier installments in the series. Leon battles horrific new creatures infested by a new threat called Las Plagas and faces off against an aggressive group of enemies including mind-controlled villagers that are tied to Los Illuminados, the mysterious cult which is behind the abduction.

if you have never played the game and some how haven't seen any spoilers yet, don't watch the video!

Anustart

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed in FF6 as well. I've played about 6 hours into the game - it's my all time favorite of the series. The graphics have barely been updated and the music hasn't been upgraded at all. The battle controls are also terrible, and the text lags on my Nexus 7.

Very disappointed in the port.

You must be new when dealing with FF fans. You touch their music, you pay the cost.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hey, looks like I'll be buying another Console port to PC of a game I already bought on Consoles but never played it.

I love it as my 360 becomes more useless with time.

"Mimic the lifecycle of consoles"? Fixed, non-upgradeable configurations and annual updates sounds more like iThings to me.

Seems more like mimicking the life cycles of the mobile market

And people love that. I have zero issues dropping 500$ every two years on an iPad going forwards if the specs increase is a noticeable improvement.

That's the only reason I can see for them doing this. Marketing for the crowd that wants a Steam Machine, but doesn't want to 'tinker' and worry about opening the case and upgrading. Just pump and dump every few years.

For most of us, it's a very silly solution and not really practical.

Welcome to Alan Wake.
Nightmare is supposed to be the better of the two with better game play too.

The combat is pretty bad, I'm playing on easy mode just for the story and atmosphere. I like the endless supply of batteries and flash bangs they throw at me in easy more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom