• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
YsVVFxB.png

I'd like to thank everyone who voted for making this possible. 2014 will be the year that my next game will get to #67, or even #65.

Since the developer of Rogue Legacy couldn't be here today I am also accepting his first place award on his behalf.

Chubi4president!

Kovaelin

This entire vote was Steam specific to begin with. Why wouldn't any game released during the past year on Steam not qualify for a Top Steam Game for 2013 list?

Well, I wouldn't consider it a 2013 game since the game wasn't made nor released originally in 2013.

It's just a personal opinion that something the gaming community was exposed to years shouldn't have the spotlight again just because it wasn't on Steam before.

It would be like a movie winning an Oscar year after year just because it was released on VHS, and then DVD, and then Netflix, and then Blu Ray, and then Special Edition, and then Complete Edition (I'm looking at you Trine 2, I like you, but why are you here?), and then Collector's Edition, and thencompilations, and then bundles, dlc... I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think releasing it on Steam now makes it a new game.

wazoo

I just discovered that I had a steam key for mutant mudds on my indie royale account from a previous bundle. the key was added afterwards, so cool.

fantomena

Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Continue?9876543210 -- MB-50454254A89F8E0D - Taken by Turfster. 31 entrants total.

t1388878002z1.png

Grief.exe

idB5Wz5EkXagY.png

IxsjeTZ.png

eGIrTjA.png

dABnPWq.png

Amazing! Must be one hell of a game!

fZYJTRT.png

x0YGTah.png

Soon, if not already, there will be more people playing Dota 2 than every other game on Steam combined. I thought gaf was better then this. Turns out Steamgaf's vote wasnt much different from every other game website. For shame.

Some day we will have to answer to our children for this!

BioShock Infinite aside it was pretty damn solid.

Yes yes, let me set my bitterness aside for a moment so I can thank Mr. Orange for all the work that went into this. Fantastic presentation as well.

OK that moment is over.

Razorskin

----- ------
YsVVFxB.png

I'd like to thank everyone who voted for making this possible. 2014 will be the year that my next game will get to #67, or even #65.

Since the developer of Rogue Legacy couldn't be here today I am also accepting his first place award on his behalf.

To be noted, the developer shot for a 64 or lower.

oipic

If you take the top 20 as an unordered list of good games this year it's pretty good

Indeed. My backlog is bulging with many of the games that were highly thought of by SteamGAF - I suspect I'll still be making my way through many of these when it's time to vote for 2014's GOTY.

PC gaming is a wonderful thing.

Dr Dogg

YsVVFxB.png

Hahaha if it helps I had Cook, Serve, Delicious! At No.3 on my list. I wonder what the results would have been like if the poll was conducted during the sale?

DukeBobby

My list:

5. The Swapper
4. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
3. Spelunky
2. Metro: Last Light
1. Euro Truck Simulator 2

Only one game in the top 10. ONE!

Tellaerin

Well, I wouldn't consider it a 2013 game since the game wasn't made nor released originally in 2013.

It's just a personal opinion that something the gaming community was exposed to years shouldn't have the spotlight again just because it wasn't on Steam before.

It would be like a movie winning an Oscar year after year just because it was released on VHS, and then DVD, and then Netflix, and then Blu Ray, and then Special Edition, and then Complete Edition (I'm looking at you Trine 2, I like you, but why are you here?), and then Collector's Edition, and then Blu Ray Compilations, and then bundles, dlc... I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think releasing it on Steam now makes it a new game.

You're missing the point, I think.

This isn't the usual GOTY award. It's the Steam GOTY. You're casting your vote for the best game to become available on Steam in 2013. And considering how many people won't even touch a PC game until it's on Steam, for all intents and purposes they were all just released this year. :p

Dec

I wasn't the only one that voted for Neverwinter. That's surprising.

Greetings, mystery friend.

Dota was my number 1 of course.

Momentary

Banned
Soon, if not already, there will be more people playing Dota 2 than every other game on Steam combined. I thought gaf was better then this. Turns out Steamgaf's vote wasnt much different from every other game website. For shame.

Some day we will have to answer to our children for this!

This is an awesome list aside for Bioshock Infinite's placement.

oipic

Going very early with this, admittedly... but what is going to be our ruling with Steam re-releases?

2014 may be the first time many have an opportunity to buy/play Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery.

denx

YsVVFxB.png

CSD would had totally made my list if I had discovered it earlier. I think the same applies for a lot of people here.

Jawmuncher

Nice to see Skullgirls at 16. Also RE6 in the 30s was a nice surprise as well.
Also Aliens Colonial marines 1 point was all me for those who didn't know. All in all the list was far better than I suspected.

cicero

Again though, this is a STEAM specific GOTY vote dealing with ANY games released on Steam in 2013 for a thread that is intensely focused on ALL games released on Steam.

It would be like a movie winning an Oscar year after year just because it was released on VHS, and then DVD, and then Netflix, and then Blu Ray, and then Special Edition, and then Complete Edition (I'm looking at you Trine 2, I like you, but why are you here?), and then Collector's Edition, and thencompilations, and then bundles, dlc... I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think releasing it on Steam now makes it a new game.
Nobody is saying that they are new games. No one is thinking in a way that would somehow take a vote for an older classic game that was FINALLY released after years of not being available, in a way that would make it a Zero-sum game, where ANY attention paid to older titles inherently means that less attention is being paid to newer titles.

You are mistaking this as being focused on 2013, when it is actually focused on the Steam platform, which includes new releases of older titles.

Caerith

You also cannot vote for Long Live the Queen there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Which games can we vote on? |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a community vote, so we'll vote on the PC games (yes, restricted to PC, as other platforms, like iOS, doesnt make sense if 90% of us havent played games on that platform) we, as a community, played last year. This means you can vote for any game in any of these threads:

Wasn't in any of the previous threads, wasn't played by anyone who isn't writing this sentence.

Jawmuncher

YsVVFxB.png

Creepy CSD guy looking at something has a lot of potential......Might save that idea for a giveaway in the future. Also congrats, though as many have said I think CSD would've been higher had more lists waited.

FACE

Banned
Gone Home is no.9, no EU IV on the list and fucking Rogue Legacy(with Bioshock Infinite as no.2) is Steam GAF's GOTY? YOU'RE ALL DEAD TO ME!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hahaha if it helps I had Cook, Serve, Delicious! At No.3 on my list. I wonder what the results would have been like if the poll was conducted during the sale?

Frankly, Game of the Year discussions should wait until said year is over. So like starting discussion in January (or pref. Feb) at the latest. Anything before then is either hype-train or "what did I play this year" from most people. Not a good "critical" view of "Oh, I enjoyed this and I enjoyed it because xyz."

At least that's how it generally is for me.

Not saying Cook, Serve, Delicious would make my list by the way. I have it but I still haven't gotten around to downloading it and trying it.

Jawmuncher

You also cannot vote for Long Live the Queen there.

Wasn't in any of the previous threads, wasn't played by anyone who isn't writing this sentence.

IndieGAF voting confirmed disappointing. Have you asked about the mishap. I'm about to go in there and throw a vote at it anyway.
He edited the thread. Let the LLTQ voting commence!

zkylon

zkylewd
my opinions

Rogue Legacy: haven't bought it because people keep telling me it's grindy. I'm not a big fan of metroidvanias or roguelikes and I appreciate some of what's it doing but it really didn't excite me too much
Bioshock Infinite: loved it, as much as I think the combat is pretty crap. deserved a high spot imo
Spelunky: can't play it because of spidahs. I imagine I would've liked this game
Sonic & All-Star Racing Transformed: never liked mario kart so much, won't prolly like this one
Papers, Please: loved the beta, gotta get to the full game but I figure it'll love it just the same. just everything about this game clicks for me, I should've bought it right away when it came out but I felt like I had gotten it from just the beta. guess we'll see
DOTA 2: lol
Fez: fez was awesome, I'm kind of surprised it's not higher on the list, but also I'm surprised I never got to finish it. like, it beat me, no two ways about it, I couldn't figure the damn language out. I'll try again some day
Saints Row IV: I loved sr3 so much and I feel sr4 might've spelled the death of the franchise for me. it's just too zany, too self aware. it's got that crank 2 syndrome thing where they amp it up to play along with the viewers and in the end it just doesn't really click. it's still pretty decent since they got pretty good at writing dumb jokes at volition
Gone Home: one of my top 3, again it's weird it ranked so low. I loved everything about this game, the music, setting, atmosphere, themes. wish more games talked about this kind of crap
Starbound: never played terraria, didn't love minecraft, but I like some aspects of where this is going. I just don't believe in early access games :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom