• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Apart from the pixelated in-game character models, Code of Princess' first impression isn't half bad. Portraits look nicely, performances are good (constant 60fps here) and killing stuff is fine enough. I gotta get back to watch some more Log Horizon and then I'll waste some more time with it.

Grief.exe

So how does weapon damage work in Dark Souls?
I have a Battle Axe and a Deep Battle Axe that also does dark damage, but doesn't get bonus from my strenght. At first look it looks like the Deep Battle Axe should do a lot more damage, because the normal damage plus the dark damage is bigger than what the normal BA has, but they do basically the same damage.

Since the weapons aren't upgraded, the modifiers won't have enough room to scale.

I'm guessing the Deep Battle Axe will be better at low level, but the Battle Axe will overtake it once you are of sufficient level assuming good strength scaling.

Arthea

Apart from the pixelated in-game character models, Code of Princess's first impression isn't half bad. Portraits look nicely, performances are good (constant 60fps here) and killing stuff is fine enough. I gotta get back to watch some more Log Horizon and then I'll waste some more time with it.

glad to hear, hopefully I'll pick it during summer sale.

zkylon

zkylewd
stellaris is 17 bucks on nuuvem (latin america only) in case any of my brothers and sisters haven't seen it

pretty sweet price, i might bite

So how does weapon damage work in Dark Souls?
I have a Battle Axe and a Deep Battle Axe that also does dark damage, but doesn't get bonus from my strenght. At first look it looks like the Deep Battle Axe should do a lot more damage, because the normal damage plus the dark damage is bigger than what the normal BA has, but they do basically the same damage.
you gotta take resistances into account

your weapon might do like 150 slash dmg or 100 slash + 100 dark but if the monster has good dark resistance you won't get so much out of it.

many of the monsters you fight are unarmored, so they probably have low physical resistances, but since they're demons and everything they might have good elemental resistances

not 100% sure, dps calculation has always been tricky in the souls games

Uzzy

Is it going to be hands down the GAF and SteamGAF GOTY? Is there anything on the horizon that can beat it out? Console side has Uncharted (but that probably can't overcome DS fanaticism), but anything on PC side?

Oh, FFXV maybe? I just don't see it happening though.

Saying that in April is incredibly premature. You never know what's coming.

Hektor

Is it going to be hands down the GAF and SteamGAF GOTY? Is there anything on the horizon that can beat it out? Console side has Uncharted (but that probably can't overcome DS fanaticism), but anything on PC side?

New Nier tho

Jawmuncher

Saying that in April is incredibly premature. You never know what's coming.

I see Dark Souls 3 taking it more than likely for steamgaf. Looking at the calendar I don't see much of anything else here having the same amount of players. No mans sky, maybe. Still there might be a surprise. Then again last year undertale was the surprise and didn't make it very high on the list even with the cheap price.

New Nier tho

New Nier is by far the wild card. I would say it would make it high, but Bayo 2 crawled pretty high. Then again general gaming side I can bet it'll probably be uncharted 4 or Horizon. Due to the skew in ps4 player base and how exclusives usually get the higher honors. Since it doesn't seem we have a Witcher 3 style AAA third party game this year.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Uncharted fanboys are the next most unbearable next to Souls and MGS.

I would go with Uncharted having the best chance.

The dark horses for the year would be Deus Ex:Mankind Divided(HR placed 4th) and No Man's Sky. Your top 10 is almost always the most hyped games anyways. And I don't think FFXV has a shot either, demo was too mixed.

Arthea

After seeing NMS on planet gameplay footage, I'm doubtful, let's say I wasn't impressed. Still, if other aspects of a game are good, it still can be great.
But I'm not sure it'll make high on GOTY lists, as I was afraid, I probably expected way too much of this game.

zkylon

zkylewd
i just got some money back from some tax returns thing and i'm thinking of using that to upgrade my i5 to an i7 and to get a new motherboard and ram

my big scare is that i did the free win10 upgrade thingie and i think that can get rolled back to win8 if you change some core computer parts?

my other big scare is that upgrading this is expensive af

honestly i don't care about performance all that much, i don't mind playing games on low but i feel like my motherboard is half dead, with a lot of usb ports not working and my mic port not working so might as well change that

i also need more ram, 8 gigs is pretty low i think for me

Arthea

first response wasn't "in the Nier future"

sad

well, you got to post it

and there is no nier future when SE is concerned

although on more serious note, I hoped they'll do simultaneous release of FF15 and start the trend, but that is not happening, so yeah, when

now I'll hope for FF7RE being on PC day one

you are now free to post SE trolling mastery pics.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

tuxfool

Banned
i just got some money back from some tax returns thing and i'm thinking of using that to upgrade my i5 to an i7 and to get a new motherboard and ram

my big scare is that i did the free win10 upgrade thingie and i think that can get rolled back to win8 if you change some core computer parts?

my other big scare is that upgrading this is expensive af

Unless your CPU is really weak, you're going to get better gains from upgrading your GPU.

Shantom

I wouldn't say it is for certain. Only three of their titles ever made it to PC and I'm unsure if they even did the Revegenance one.

After the Bayonetta PS3 mess Platinum refused to let any more ports be outsourced, so all of their PC titles have been done in-house.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I'll pick up danganronpa 2 over the weekend and start the waiting for it to be released, I'm so goddamn hyped to play it.

Saty

zkylon

zkylewd
Unless your CPU is really weak, you're going to get better gains from upgrading your GPU.
eh, i don't care much about better graphics, i just want the thing to work properly

i def gotta get my videocard checked out cos it keeps having showing up driver error messages (this is not a problem cos it's on warranty at least), and def gotta replace my motherboard cos like half my ports are busted

and i gotta change my case too cos that thing is old af and it's so heavy i can't even carry it like 3 blocks to get my computer fixed

i'm just unlucky and dumb with computers

Messiah

I'll pick up danganronpa 2 over the weekend and start the waiting for it to be released, I'm so goddamn hyped to play it.

tumblr_inline_nr8siuplr81txlwvy_500__1__by_moonlightwolf578-d93ms9u.gif

Next week will be amazing.

Nzyme32

Does steam not allow play not updated games in offline mode anymore? When I try to start it, it says update required.

I think that only happens if you started an update but didn't complete it and then go offline. For pretty much every game I have and use offline, there are no issues, but I've always made sure downloads are completed and nothing is queued.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Penguins Arena: Sedna's World -- MB-0991D21FA00DA7E8 - Taken by Lashley
Highland Warriors -- MB-820BE4FAE3AEBCA5 - Taken by septicore
A Valley Without Wind 1 and 2 Dual Pack -- MB-7DC4F0D1D51042A4 - Taken by rainking187
The Silent Age -- MB-97CD46160C6E6CE5 - Taken by Last Baron

lavander

At this point the only game I'm excited for us Deus Ex.

My roommate did buy Ratchet and Clank though so if that's as good as Up Your Arsenal then hot damn.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
GMG has Aurion with 15% off and the 20% voucher works on it.

Whats the word on it? Sure seems pretty

zkylon

zkylewd
i got a lot of games i'm excited for

deus ex, ladykiller in a bind, overwatch, torment (that's this year, right?), tacoma

and year has already been super good with xcom2, the witness and dks3

I think that only happens if you started an update but didn't complete it and then go offline. For pretty much every game I have and use offline, there are no issues, but I've always made sure downloads are completed and nothing is queued.

Yeah, that did it. I guess there's no way to start any of the unpatched games now then? It wont let me backup the game files.

Edit: Bought the disk version of the unpatched game. You win this time Gabe.

Lashley

I'm super hyped for Deus Ex.

Btw, is Cities Skyline easy enough to get into? I'm looking to play a city building sim but have always been shit at them. I used to just cheat and create tornados in the old Sim Cities.

mp1990

Banned

Btw, is Cities Skyline easy enough to get into? I'm looking to play a city building sim but have always been shit at them. I used to just cheat and create tornados in the old Sim Cities.

It's literally the opposite of easy to get into. I've played it for about 3 hours and every single one of cities failed so quickly I didn't even had time to try messing around with the mechanics.

Yeah. There are lots of pop-ups that tell you what to do, and new mechanics (buildings, services, etc.) are drip-fed to the player as you level up (get more people in your city).

I used to play SimCity 4, but I never got far. On the other hand, I've put 30 hours into Skylines and am working on my second proper city.

Grief.exe

g3wWair.png

The mechanics are actually fairly simple on the city building side and they gate mechanics so you are introduced to new buildings slowly as your city expands.

Lashley

It's literally the opposite of easy to get into. I've played it for about 3 hours and every single one of cities failed so quickly I didn't even had time to try messing around with the mechanics.

Yeah. There are lots of pop-ups that tell you what to do, and new mechanics (buildings, services, etc.) are drip-fed to the player as you level up (get more people in your city).

I used to play SimCity 4, but I never got far. On the other hand, I've put 30 hours into Skylines and am working on my second proper city.

D:

Anteater

Dead end?
All I see is a fence you can jump over (if you don't have the jump augment, get some boxes; there are a couple of those in that area)

There's a hole to go through there, but that's not how street signs work, you don't tell people to jump over a fence with your robotic augment!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom