• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What is this?

errorgvcq5.jpg

US law requires that Valve obtain tax details from US residents once they hit 200 listings. If you're not in the US then you just "sign" a form declaring as much and you're never bothered again, unless you purchased from the US store back when it easy to do so, in which case you need to provide Valve with proof of international residency before the restriction can be lifted.

Copons

So, I just started playing CS:GO and it's not bad, not bad at all.
I tried some stuff around and up until now I've got only one question to ask:

why I always see people uploading super cool killcam screens with skewed writings and the guy who killed you in super heroic poses and stuff, while I just saw very bland screens?
Should I activate something to make my constant dying at least a little bit cool?

Yeah, now that you mentioned is I've checked and over 100 games and points have disappeared.

Yup wow I'm back under 500. I've even lost the badge. :D

user237

Has anyone had success filling out those forms to sell more than 200?

I have heard a few people had trouble with them and I want to know if that is common.

madjoki

I have heard a few people had trouble with them and I want to know if that is common.

No problems for me. (non-us).
I heard that those who used fake us address before got problems, due to form not letting them give non-us address.

Kinda regretted not getting Jazzpunk when it was on sale, do I need to do anything to buy from steam store while traveling? Or I just use it like I normally do?

Lain

I received the notification from isthereanydeal that Thief is on sale for 8,95€ from Gamesrocket. The 5€ sale is almost here.

JaseC

The people who had trouble are international users who'd purchased from the US store when it was easy to do so as if you have such a transaction on record yet declare you're not a US resident for tax purposes, a red flag is set off. In these cases users are required to submit proof of international residency to Valve before the limit is lifted.

Anteater

I finished Syberia 2 last night, I quite like the ending to it because I thought it would end with a cliffhanger, but it actually has kind of a closure to the journey at least for Hans.

For me it feels like most of the game is nothing but fillers, there are barely any location that are interesting other than the underground place and a little from the first town, you don't really find anything new in some of the locations you stopped by, and there are also not a lot of interesting characters, the entire game is dragging Hans's ass to the destination.

The first game was a lot more interesting since every location has some interesting characters telling you the history and you slowly learn more about the Voralberg family and Hans, then you find out about the research on Syberia and through out the game you watch a little interaction with Kate and her family and friends over the phone and watched her life change as her character develops.

Syberia 2 is a pleasant game to go through but I'm not really sure if I'm that enthusiastic for a sequel. (will still play of course)

zkylon

zkylewd
It's light in content as in there's really just an hour and a half worth of content, you have 5 chapters and each chapter has 5 waves of enemies and a boss, so it's still plenty enough for its price and the kind of game it is, the game has multiple difficulties and it's one of those games that are better the more you explore your combat options, like using counter would do a lot more damage than doing combos over and over like I did. I find the combat pretty satisfying and more fun than musou.

I think the enemy encounters could use a little work but it's by far better than something like Fairy Bloom Freesia which has nothing but a bunch of annoying slime poop enemies, there aren't a lot of panties given you'd be killing stuff a lot and there are barely any cutscenes. I would say some bosses are quite fun.
yea i get what you mean

i'm not the type to really put in the hours to master this kind of game, tho, so maybe i'll skip until really cheap

good to know there's some fun to be had with it tho

Might have been covered already but is anyone else from the UK not able to access any of the new Ubisoft game pages? (The Crew, Far Cry, etc) I remember being on The Crew page the day it went up.

JaseC

Might have been covered already but is anyone else from the UK not able to access any of the new Ubisoft game pages? (The Crew, Far Cry, etc)

This always happens with retail Ubisoft games. They'll be available in due time, before release.

No, unfortunately they didn't. They just took the original GC pre-rendered shots and ran them through an image 'enhancement' filter. The result is quite awful.

Where did you read they just "enhanced" them? By looking at the website mentioned by Dr Dogg the picture quality is way sharper than the GC's output... not something that could be done with simple interpolation...

There's a bit more detail on the official teaser/preview site (specifically the Widescreen Support tab about midway down)

http://www.capcom.co.jp/biohd/en/index.html

It's kind of like a reverse Pan and Scan with older 4:3 cropped video shifting horizontally to maintain focus on the important elements in frame this will move in a vertical direction to achieve the same effect. The idea sounds good in practice as it's a lot easier to implement than rerendering every background to fit a 16:9 aspect ratio (and I'm guessing from past releases like Umbrella Chronicles HD the original assets went missing a long time ago) but I'm curious to how this will work with pretty much every camera movement introduced to a lot if not every scene now (and at a lower framerate this isn't going to be the most smooth transition either). I guess it all boils down to a question of cost to produce versus projected return on investment.

Yup, this was my understanding too. Considering Chris and Jill move rather slowly, my bet is that the camera pan won't be too distracting.

I really don't understand why they don't (didn't) properly back up data for pre-rendered games. I mean... we could have had FFVII through IX, Myst (Riven/Exile/Revelation) and other games with a nice level of detail without the devs having to put much effort into it.

If I were a game developer I'd keep ultra high definition textures somewhere safe and release them like 5-10 years later or something, when technology has adapted. I mean... even if the released game is 40GB... I guess it wouldn't be that hard to keep 2-3TB of uncompressed data. Even multiple copies.

Grief.exe

If I were a game developer I'd keep ultra high definition textures somewhere safe and release them like 5-10 years later or something, when technology has adapted.

Japanese publishers have always had a lack of foresight.
Even now, the Japanese publishers are just now reacting to the mobile explosion, flailing around trying to scrape up a profit.
Admittedly, storage was much more expensive in the past, but that is hardly an excuse. Those are assets that the company spent millions developing.

Japanese publisher just have never been able to accurately predict the future.
Even now, the Japanese publishers are just now reacting to the mobile explosion, flailing around trying to scrape up a profit.
Admittedly, storage was much more expensive in the past, but that is hardly an excuse. Those are assets that the company spent millions developing.

Exactly.
An despite what some companies say (e.g., Id about Rage's textures) there's no way some textures were made at the resolution we saw them... it seems bizarre to pay for something and then basically throw away half of your money.

Athleon

Japanese publisher just have never been able to accurately predict the future.

Man, now you reminded me this thread.

All those assets thrown away... Makes me so sad. Imagine a remake with those backgrounds.

Anteater

What I really like to see is Muramasa on HD consoles/PC, Vanillaware said their original assets were twice the size of the Wii version so making it HD is possible, but to this day the game remained on Wii and Vita.

Turfster

Bundlebandits has another bundle, in cooperation with WGN.
Two things I'm not a fan of working together =p
2$ for:
  • 1quest (desura)
  • Face Noir
  • Evy (desura)
  • Lost civilization
  • Metal planet
  • Voyager (desura)

Jawmuncher

When you get past all the lies Molyneux made for Fable, I still say its a good action RPG even if its basic. Though the series definitely has never been that high quality wise and it does kind of surprise me it still does so well. Still disappointed that the next game legends isn't even a real fable game. Between that Journey and the changes each game has, the series doesn't know what it wants to be.

Altazor

oh man, had a terrible night. Five hours of sleep, stomach aches and acid reflux were too much. Woke up too early and I'll probably behave like a zombie during the afternoon.

At least the Manchester United - Swansea result made my morning brighter. #BringBackMoyes #VanGaalOut #MoyesIn #TheChosenOne

madjoki

Thats all I care about. Free money.

Then you might like this:

No More Room in Hell
Magicka: Wizard Wars
War of the Roses

Each now give free drops when added to account. (like Defiance)
I think this is side effect of conversion to this 'add to account' system.

If you can, it's likely better to wait Winter Sale and craft these sets instead of selling.

Start off the morning with a big, cold glass of orange juice. Not from concentrate.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (darkchewie, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

100% Orange Juice #2 -- MB-CE008BC5860204FC - Taken by fenners. 7 entrants total.
100% Orange Juice -- MB-F72BE9363BB8CC39 - Taken by Snakethesniper. 7 entrants total.

t1408285098z1.png

Have a pleasant weekend everybody.

Seanspeed

Banned

No More Room in Hell
War of the Roses

If you can, it's likely better to wait Winter Sale and craft these sets instead of selling.
Interesting, but I don't know if I want to add games I'm never gonna play to my account. I know it doesn't really hurt or anything, but eh.

Thanks for the info though. Might change my mind later on if I find something I really want.

Speaking of stuff I might want, is Total War Rome 2 a good buy at £10? I heard it had problems.

It's hilarious how some people on this site have an itch against MP games. So what if Evolve wins some meaningless show awards? "Manufactured hype"...yeah. But of course if it would be Bloodborne, the next Naughty Dog game, The Order, genericUbisoftgame#799 or any other mostly SP focused game, then it would be cool and not manufactured, right?

jblank83

9 years on Steam and only level 8.

9 years and 16, but who cares. All it means is that you've crafted a bunch of badges. There are plenty of people who don't care about that. I'd hazard a guess that the vast majority of people don't care about that.

You should be happy you're not one of the weird rich people who obsessively craft badges (normal and foil) up to max level for every single game ever released on Steam.

Turfster

You should be happy you're not one of the weird rich people who obsessively craft badges (normal and foil) up to max level for every single game ever released on Steam.

Dunno, I think I'd like being rich for a change =p

If you missed the Max Payne sale, Max Payne 3 is 5$ on Amazon

Teppic

No More Room in Hell
War of the Roses

Thanks for the tip. Free cards is the best cards.

Dr Dogg

It's hilarious how some people on this site have an itch against MP games. So what if Evolve wins some meaningless show awards? "Manufactured hype"...yeah. But of course if it would be Bloodborne, the next Naughty Dog game, The Order, genericUbisoftgame#799 or any other mostly SP focused game, then it would be cool and not manufactured, right?

Considering more half of the panellists for the Gamescom awards are journalists from some sites/outlets some people on GAF like to criticise I'm surprised they get the attention that they do. But hey go look at the vast majority of review threads on here and there will be some dismay due to a certain outlet not scoring a game to the arbitrary score someone has in their head attributed to a game they have never even played yet.

I haven't really been following Evolve's development so not been caught up in the buzz but being multiplayer focused it will be interesting to see how the community will shape up around this.

One more game with all the achievements get! The majority of the achievements were pretty easy, if you interact with everything in the game you will get all of them.

pvulxlx.png

Edit:

Is the Marvel Heroes 2015 a good game?

Marvel Hereos is mindless fun, which is sometimes exactly what one needs.

Edit: Ha-ha, I just realised that I've spent about $39.98 on MH, but Steam only tracks 1/4 of it, locking me out of three precious cards.

Bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom