• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

JarrodL

Hope the new nvidia drivers improve performance in No Man's Sky a bit. It currently stutters too much on my 980, especially when flying in atmosphere.

Arthea

I liked FF13 as well. But by mess I mean reception wise. While it reviewed ok, the backlash I'd huge on that game.

oh yeah, reception, well, it can easily be explained by FF13 not being a good FF game, not at all, hence backslash.
While we still don't know how good FF15 will be in that regard, I really doubt it will be received better, at least it doesn't look like a better game than FF13 so far.

dimmer

They should keep the Versus name. Making a mainline FF game KH clone combat wise makes it really hard to old school fans. There are going to be a lot of negative user reviews

rtcn63

Mankind divided reviews will be my deciding facotr
I plan to go stealth of course but am curious to hear what the stealth is like this time around

With the holidays so close and PC launches generally be such a clusterfuck, I might wait. CDkeys has it for $37. I've still yet to put real time into Ratchet and Clank.

Also Hitman yes.

JarrodL

Have you done any fixes? Have you activated the experimental branch?
Just disabled the shader cache as advised. Not fond of opting into betas and experimental stuff, so haven't tried that. The game is quite playable for me despite the performance problems, it just gets annoying and spoils the fun somewhat.

Arthea

Feel bad for Tabata. His game doesn't come out for like another 4 months and people are shitting on it so hard.

but it's not unfounded or something, we had a demo, and a gameplay showing by SE, etc.
I'm all for them fixing that shit, but it seems very unlikely to happen.
It doesn't mean I want that game to be bad, it just didn't look good yet.

Amzin

I jumped on the $36 Mankind Divided pre-order and somewhat regret it now, as while I did enjoy the last one I got it pretty late and I wouldn't even say it was a "must play" for me. Hopefully MD turns out to be even better I guess~

Nzyme32

Damn it, what a waste of time. PSU RMA proved useless, as the issue remains the same (PSU squealing in 3DMark). Since this is specific to 3DMark, I'm just not going to bother. Everything else is fine (except for the screen when closing Unigine Valley, where the PSU squeals and immediately returns to normal when it closes a couple of seconds later), no idea whats going on with it.

Damn it, what a waste of time. PSU RMA proved useless, as the issue remains the same (PSU squealing in 3DMark). Since this is specific to 3DMark, I'm just not going to bother. Everything else is fine (except for the screen when closing Unigine Valley, where the PSU squeals and immediately returns to normal when it closes a couple of seconds later), no idea whats going on with it.
RMA process could be an endless loop, what model is that anyway?

r3n4ud

You sure it's not the mobo that's squealing?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

xxPVMYM.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-36B2EB8D0B2F443B - Taken by Hakkelus

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Mystery Gift was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

Pixieking

Banned

Coil whine? Happens when electrical components are pushed pretty hard. I had it on a 970GTX, but it wasn't too off-putting. Mostly just one of those things that happens, near as I remember all the Googling I did ages ago.

cyba89

Bought a shiny new 4k monitor and apparently the Steam client doesn't really support this high resolution properly? I can just either choose between blurry steam or tiny steam? No 4k resolution for Big Picture too.
Gaming-wise I don't have the PC to play every current game (like DOOM) in 4k but I tried MGS5 and Dark Souls 2 and these work pretty smooth even on high settings.

Also Grow Up is out and it got a discount on gamesplanet (Steam Key): https://de.gamesplanet.com/game/grow-up-steam-key--3085-1

Pachimari

So after completing Mafia, I am now doing Deus Ex: Human Revolution (DC) for the first time, although I'm also in the progress of a playthrough of Wolfenstein: The New Order and Uncharted 4.

The FFXV leak also confirms that the true version is the PC version.

It's already finished since December. They then ported that to PS4 and XB1.

Pachimari

I will bet on us having gotten PC announcements of Soul Calibur IV, Splinter Cell 7 and Red Dead Redemption Remastered within the year.

Nordicus

I think it's smart that they put one of their animation compilations on the Steam store page
Duelyst pixel art is honestly some of the best I've ever seen. It's great.

If you want to see it in action, the game has been out for ages, you can play it now. Don't need to wait for the steam release.
Just remember that you may bump into veteran players after your first 15 ranked wins when you enter the Silver Division. (or well, maybe not that veteran, since recent changes to the ladder system made sure that you won't see last month's good active players until Gold)

Steam release will bring lots of new blood to be matched with.

Nzyme32

RMA process could be an endless loop, what model is that anyway?

It is the Corsair SF600, Corsair's recent 600W itx PSUs. It has been awesome with the exception of benchmark programs. Unigine Valley is mostly fine but the last screen upon closing it does a squeal till the application closes. 3DMark is where the squealling is constant and varied throughout the benchmark, silent otherwise. I don't think it is either the PSU or GPU that are at fault here.

You sure it's not the mobo that's squealing?

That is what I am starting to think, but I honestly can't tell where it comes from. I've gone through 4 Graphics cards (thanks to the local shop being cool with me messing around), and now 2 PSUs, so maybe it is the mobo... but that is going to be an absolute pain to RMA and deal with. I need the machine, and it seemingly has no issues outside of that, so I wonder if I should even bother..

Coil whine? Happens when electrical components are pushed pretty hard. I had it on a 970GTX, but it wasn't too off-putting. Mostly just one of those things that happens, near as I remember all the Googling I did ages ago.

Yeah I assume it is coilwhine. It is utterly normal sounding in most games. Just 3DMark where it is unlike anything I have heard before. It sounds like a literal speaker in the PC, where the noise varies dramatically based on what is going on onscreen. Sounds like a quiet rocket flying and varying speed (sorry that's as best as I can describe it). Immediate silence once the benchmark stops.

Yeah I assume it is coilwhine. It is utterly normal sounding in most games. Just 3DMark where it is unlike anything I have heard before. It sounds like a literal speaker in the PC, where the noise varies dramatically based on what is going on onscreen. Sounds like a quiet rocket flying and varying speed (sorry that's as best as I can describe it). Immediate silence once the benchmark stops.
Coil whine doesn't affect performance, it's just a very unfortunate side effect.

Speaking of, I hope there's some sort of fail indicator for certain achievements. I was rather miffed when I finished Human Revolution and didn't unlock Foxiest of the Hounds (complete the game without setting off an alarm).

I'd imagine an alarm ringing should tip you off that you have tripped an alarm and as such will not be getting the achievement :p

MUnited83

For you.
How is this even possible? Like, you replay the missions over and over or what? I've never played the new one.

Well, there's the main missions

that can completed in a crapload of ways with crazy replay value
And then there's escalations (targets where you have to meet certain conditions and with certain restrictions), and elusive targets (targets that appear for a limited ammount of time and have their own set up), and the contracts mode, and the feature contracts inside that.

And then speedrunning of all that.
I'll have like 1000 hours on this before I'm done with it lol.

Grief.exe

Just disabled the shader cache as advised. Not fond of opting into betas and experimental stuff, so haven't tried that. The game is quite playable for me despite the performance problems, it just gets annoying and spoils the fun somewhat.

The shader cache fix is actually fixed in the experimental branch, along with other fixes. It's near universally recommended.

Also, turn off in game vsync.

Bought a shiny new 4k monitor and apparently the Steam client doesn't really support this high resolution properly? I can just either choose between blurry steam or tiny steam? No 4k resolution for Big Picture too.
Gaming-wise I don't have the PC to play every current game (like DOOM) in 4k but I tried MGS5 and Dark Souls 2 and these work pretty smooth even on high settings.

Also Grow Up is out and it got a discount on gamesplanet (Steam Key): https://de.gamesplanet.com/game/grow-up-steam-key--3085-1

There is a high DPI skin, I've never used it but my Linux laptop is 4K so I have a similar issue.

The GOTY is coming

Just seven days before the first expansions as well.

WmYiLCy.gif

What game is it?

FFXV is crying for PC. That new gameplay video has serious FPS drops, poor image quality, poor environments...

Evidence no.1

I was told PS4 is beast.

Now that I am level 21 in FF14 I'm now just trying to rush through these long ass main story quests so i can finally receive my sweet chocobo mount. Along the way I had to do 2 party quests, which were good fun. For the first time since I started playing the game I wasn't just destroying everything in my path and also started to communicate with people (although not much). The first one was some pirate nonsense that I couldn't possibly care any less about. It also didn't give me any worthy loot so it didn't leave a positive impression on me. Here is an image of Moody Blues after completing his very first party quest

The second one on the other hand was fun. Now that I was more familiar what what my role was (let the tank take all the aggro and then go to town on the enemies) it was smooth sailing. It was especially fun since our sweet little gaffer, freshveggie was also part of the pq. Here he is
veggie fought like a little bitch summoning his little bitch minions every few seconds but we got him down, i accidently deleted the image when we beat him so this will have to do

After the quest was done I was hoping it would be short and ez quests from here on out, but after that super long quest it was time to take a break. To save myself some time i accepted the quest and went off to travel to where I had to go next, that way I could just get to it, but i met some jerk on my journey....
look at that smug asshole on his chocobo... not only does he have one but its dressed as an adorable little mage... sitting there, taunting me. I know he's laughing at me cause I have to walk from point to point like a fucking pleb while he rides his beautiful chocobo... i hope he gets banned. Anyway, once I arrived to my destination i was greeted with sadness, its another long party quest making this one the 3rd one in a row... Don't get me wrong, pqs are fun, but i just want to get my damn chocobo!!!!

WILL I EVER GET MY CHOCOBO!?! TOON IN AND FIND OUT ON THE NEXT FF14 UPDATE STARRING MOODY BLUES NARRATED BY HERO PRINNY!!

derExperte

It is the Corsair SF600, Corsair's recent 600W itx PSUs. It has been awesome with the exception of benchmark programs. Unigine Valley is mostly fine but the last screen upon closing it does a squeal till the application closes. 3DMark is where the squealling is constant and varied throughout the benchmark, silent otherwise. I don't think it is either the PSU or GPU that are at fault here.

Some Amazon reviews mention buzzing and in addition to that the fan ramps up quick and high. When other quality PSUs manage to stay below 1000rpm under heavy load I'd say that that one just isn't quite up to today's standards (or the smaller formfactor is to blame).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom